So far, Deadpool is the current benchmark for superhero films this year. It's X-Men meets Fight Club meets Ted, with its mix of superhero action, dark comedy, and low-brow references that only the Generation X crowd will get. After the disappointment that was X-Men Origins: Wolverine, FOX finally got to use Deadpool and Ryan Reynolds' potential properly. The film pulls no punches when it comes to jokes on Reynolds, Green Lantern, the X-Men franchise, and even itself. At the same time, it becomes the best love story without even trying.

Deadpool is undoubtedly worth saving a spot on your Blu-ray shelf.

seeing how I have nothing to do for the horrible single's awareness day, I got myself a ticket for the weekend. I don't care if it's shallow and mind numbing like a lot of the reviews I've read, that's exactly what I need right now.

"McAvoy or Stewart?" :lol:

Had a slight delay in getting that one in the theater.

It was a fun, foul-mouthed romp with tons of fourth wall breaking. From the intro all the way to the silly end credits, for better or worse, there was pretty much everything you'd expect from a Deadpool movie.

And screw

Cable!

I want more adventures of Wade and

Bob (with perhaps a flashback to Jacksonville?). ;)

Lastly,

Where should we rank this particular Stan Lee cameo?

Saw this last night. While I never really read much of the comics, I knew enough going in and I have to say, it was great.

Most definitely an R rated flick, and if you have a dark sense of humour, it'll be that much funnier.

Go see it.

Ok, I do have one complaint about this movie: they used way too much footage marketing it. They showed us too much prior to release trying to prove it was what it should be (and, man, it's exactly what it should be).

Edited by Duke Togo

Very encouraged by the warm response on the blogs and podcasts. I adored Zombieland, so I hope these same fellas have delivered a film that's at that level of quality. I'm seeing it tomorrow.

The suspense is killing me! What did the March think?

Ok, I do have one complaint about this movie: they used way too much footage marketing it. They showed us too much prior to release trying to prove it was what it should be (and, man, it's exactly what it should be).

At least, there were extra bits or lines of dialogue that they held back from the trailers

like 'Pool only having 12 bullets in the first fight or the extended comments about the older avocado hate-frakking the other avocado.

I understand where you're coming from, but thank goodness they didn't completely blow their wads in the trailers.

Besides, the scenes and bits that weren't in the trailers seemed to get the biggest laughs from the theater I watched it in.

Edited by Mog

Just saw Deadpool!

The suspense is killing me! What did the March think?

I thought the movie was great! Very funny, entertaining and a breath of fresh air (or perhaps, a foul wind that grabs one's attention) for the super hero film genre. It's filthy, violent and over-the-top, just like Zombieland. And much like that earlier film, it's a movie with heart, filled with genuine human moments that never feel forced, unearned or melodramatic. And what a treat to see a big, quality R-rated action-vfx film again, with squirm-in-your-seat gore and plenty of hard hitting action with really inventive effects. Also, I loved the Deadpool costume. Folks running the Daredevil Netflix series, take note!

The characters were great and all the actors looked like they were having a good time. Morena Baccarin and Ryan Reynolds made for a great couple and more importantly, their relationship felt meaningful without ever falling victim to sentimentality. The characters were written the way love actually works, through genuine connection and not stupid dramatic declarations of bullshit. No one running through an airport in this film, lol!

Reynolds was great as Deadpool, managing to pull off a character that we actually care about while never loosing the in-your-face attitude, the dirty mouth or the adorkable charm. And daring as all hell, our hero get's pegged with a strap-on by his girlfriend? That's more sexually subversive than a hundred Oscar nominees!

And what review could be complete without mentioning the great fourth-wall breaks and endless film/geek-culture meta-humor. It never overstayed it's welcome and was always about as varied as one could get, from poking fun at comic book character film-licensing to an out-of-nowhere-but-dead-solid-perfect reference to James Franco in 127 Hours! I must admit, I should have seen that end credits sequence coming, especially with all the 1980's pop-culture references. But damn, it got me good!

The movie does suffer a few weaknesses by way of the underwritten villain, some typical Hollywood gender exploitation and a plot that had no surprises. The budget also showed it's limitations, but it's tough for these kinda films to get made these days, so I can forgive that one. Overall, a solid 4 out of 5 for me.

And remember fellow Canadians, "Regina rhymes with fun!" COMEDY GOLD! :):p:wub:

Edited by Mr March

I must admit, I should have seen that end credits sequence coming, especially with all the 1980's pop-culture references. But damn, it got me good!

I thought I had seen everything, then

I saw a caricature of Deadpool jerk off a unicorn's horn into an explosion of rainbow jizz. :blink::huh::mellow::lol: