Yamato VF-1 Valkyrie display pose ideas..

spanner

Hey, just thought i'd throw ya'll a rather random request..

Im trying to freshen up my VF-1 display cabinet with some better action poses. I tried Googling for some pics but couldn't really find anything that looked even remotely interesting..

If you have any pics of some cool looking poses would you be so kind posting them up here so I can have a look!? Would greatly appreciate it!

B))

I'll assume you're looking mostly for Battroid (robot) mode poses. When I first purchased my VF-1 1/48 Yammies years ago I went through a phase where I was attempting dozens of poses and looking everywhere for inspiration. I did create some interesting poses (particularly action poses), but I think I was suffering from an attempt to show off or exaggerate the capabilities of the articulation. I think the more articulation available for a toy, the greater our tendency to make a pose too "showy".

A partial solution was to avoid extreme poses and instead find "casual" poses. Most often these casual poses were the most stylish because they mimicked a "human" stance. Also, when using casual poses allow your Valkyries to be playful, lol. It's not always necessary to use a front pose so you can "see everything"; often times awesome poses can be found by placing the back or side of the Battroid facing toward the viewer. The quarter turn from behind with the head turned 90 degrees in profile is a classic battroid pose. The quarter turn from behind with the gun pod held in both hands (not aiming, but at the ready) is even more badass :)

When you do go for more wild setups, I'd say don't be afraid to create some unstable poses. I know I had the bad habit of babying my toys because I was afraid of breaking such an expensive product. But that limits what you can build. Some of the best action poses I did find caused the toys to fall once or twice, but with some refinement the balance was improved. Use the animated shows for inspiration. Not necessarily the hero-poses, but the more common action sequences can often have the best stylish shots. Anime excells at drawing the world in a hyper-stylized fashion, so get some ideas from there.

post-114-0-51130500-1405866296_thumb.jpg

I dont know if you're a fan of posing in fighter mode, but if you have some acrylic risers of different heights, you could do some nice banking poses.
But if you have flightstands, this suggestion is probably moot.

But I'll post the pics anyway. Sorry for the quality, these are from my instagram.

IMG_20131128_164950.jpgIMG_20131128_165051.jpgIMG_20131128_164740.jpg

I just found one day that having the Valk Pivot on the Gunpod gave it just enough lean for a bank. I had these risers on hand since I couldnt get flightpose stands, so I thought I'd experiment one day.

Thanks for the replies guys! I did forget to mention that it was only really for Battroid mode that I was after posing suggestions for.. but all other modes are good too!

I'll assume you're looking mostly for Battroid (robot) mode poses. When I first purchased my VF-1 1/48 Yammies years ago I went through a phase where I was attempting dozens of poses and looking everywhere for inspiration. I did create some interesting poses (particularly action poses), but I think I was suffering from an attempt to show off or exaggerate the capabilities of the articulation. I think the more articulation available for a toy, the greater our tendency to make a pose too "showy".

A partial solution was to avoid extreme poses and instead find "casual" poses. Most often these casual poses were the most stylish because they mimicked a "human" stance. Also, when using casual poses allow your Valkyries to be playful, lol. It's not always necessary to use a front pose so you can "see everything"; often times awesome poses can be found by placing the back or side of the Battroid facing toward the viewer. The quarter turn from behind with the head turned 90 degrees in profile is a classic battroid pose. The quarter turn from behind with the gun pod held in both hands (not aiming, but at the ready) is even more badass :)

When you do go for more wild setups, I'd say don't be afraid to create some unstable poses. I know I had the bad habit of babying my toys because I was afraid of breaking such an expensive product. But that limits what you can build. Some of the best action poses I did find caused the toys to fall once or twice, but with some refinement the balance was improved. Use the animated shows for inspiration. Not necessarily the hero-poses, but the more common action sequences can often have the best stylish shots. Anime excells at drawing the world in a hyper-stylized fashion, so get some ideas from there.

Thanks for your very informative reply Mr March! You put some great points across! Yes I have been rather cautious when it comes to posing and most of my stuff is setup fairly conservatively or casual / human positions.. Extreme poses are difficult as the VF-1 Valks do seem to be stability sensitive and have a tenancy to want to topple over.. I know what you mean with the back facing towards you position as shown in the pic I have posted. Very simple but a great primed and ready stance!

I dont know if you're a fan of posing in fighter mode, but if you have some acrylic risers of different heights, you could do some nice banking poses.

But I'll post the pics anyway. Sorry for the quality, these are from my instagram.

IMG_20131128_164950.jpgIMG_20131128_165051.jpgIMG_20131128_164740.jpg

I just found one day that having the Valk Pivot on the Gunpod gave it just enough lean for a bank. I had these risers on hand since I couldnt get flightpose stands, so I thought I'd experiment one day.

The flying in formation pose is fantastic also! I would like to get a few more of the fight pose stands to I can accomplish this! I have a handful of flightpose stands but the only Valkyrie I have in any sort of flight angle is the VF-1A Cavaliers with its wings swept back in a banking turn its looks great! But I had modified the stand previously when I had another Valk on display with it.. I made all three posts a different length by cutting them down a little. I know I could have just swapped out the posts from other sized stands but at the time I only had one and wasn't sure if I was gonna get more..

Check out the "strike a pose thread". Ton of inspiration in there.

Hey thanks for the heads up. I did check out this thread and got some good ideas which I will use and try! Sorry to everyone for posting a new thread of an existing topic but I clearly didn't look hard enough to find it..

my current setup to maximize display space. Gonna squeeze 2nd and bottom shelf with 2 x VF-1A Max

disp_1_zpsca985c6f.jpgdisp_2_zps4d7ea0b9.jpgdisp_3_zps7597ba57.jpg

Nice little setup you have here!

---

Mr March here is that rearward facing pose I was talking about.. looks so tough just standing there!

post-21335-0-28860100-1405932146_thumb.jpg

Edited by spanner76

-snip-

Neat trick. Thanks for sharing. Am using it for my display now. :D

Mr March here is that rearward facing pose I was talking about.. looks so tough just standing there!

Oh yeah, that's the very laidback cool pose that I was talking about. And like I mentioned, that pose can have several awesome variations with the gun pod. You can do an action pose with that angle as well. The left leg forward, knee bent, gun pod carried in both hands at the ready. Awesome stuff. I've purchased several new Macross tranformables, so when they arrive in a week or two I'll take some photos and share them with you.

Your amazing photographic skill is going to be a tough act to follow, Saburo. When I take photos of my incoming new toy purchases, I'll try my best to at least make the photographs look sharp and clear. Well done. Your flicker website is an amazing showcase. It's the kind of toy photographs I've always wanted to see fans create of their toys. Truly beautiful work that makes our hobby look legitmate. BRAVO! :)

Edited by Mr March

Nicely done, very cool addition to your collection too. :)

I have one too, though not VF-1

14477588467_8c76301f17_b.jpg

image by Nerdery101, on Flickr

Ozma indeed looks awesome with that big skull painted on his back! And its good that its something different other than a human skull too! Where I have my Ozma currently on display it was possible to see the skull but now with the Armored parts attached sadly you can't.. oh well, but the bad ass looking Armors are a very worthwhile compromise!

Your amazing photographic skill is going to be a tough act to follow, Saburo. When I take photos of my incoming new toy purchases, I'll try my best to at least make the photographs look sharp and clear. Well done. Your flicker website is an amazing showcase. It's the kind of toy photographs I've always wanted to see fans create of their toys. Truly beautiful work that makes our hobby look legitmate. BRAVO! :)

Saburo sure does put us all to shame when it comes to taking happy snaps! :D

Nicely done, very cool addition to your collection too. :)

I have one too, though not VF-1

14477588467_8c76301f17_b.jpg

image by Nerdery101, on Flickr

I love this shot the yellow background makes the VF-25S pop!

Thank you, I am happy to have one now, but now I want more... :wacko::D

Thank you for your kind words Mr. March. I just glad that my 2 hobbies are beneficial to one another. I can take pics of the toys and I can get more toys to take pics of. ;) If it was toy collecting and fishing.. not so beneficial. :)

Saburo sure does put us all to shame when it comes to taking happy snaps! :D

I hope that my photos don't deter others from posting pics. :unsure: Its all for the love of collecting Macross Toys, so post your pics everyone! :D

Edited by Saburo

I hope that my photos don't deter others from posting pics. :unsure: Its all for the love of collecting Macross Toys, so post your pics everyone! :D

I find it inspiring, Saburo. And I'm definitely looking to join the picture frenzy. I was reading up on macro techniques at lunch because of this thread. :ph34r: I have a few other tasks to finish first, though.

Time is my limiting factor at the moment. ^_^

I find it inspiring, Saburo. And I'm definitely looking to join the picture frenzy. I was reading up on macro techniques at lunch because of this thread. :ph34r: I have a few other tasks to finish first, though.

Time is my limiting factor at the moment. ^_^

Thank you and I am glad. :) Macro photography is fun, I haven't fully gone down that route since I don't have a macro lens for my camera. :( Looking forward to you joining the picture frenzy. Its not my fault if you start buying more and more camera gear, because it can get addictive. :p

Love that skull image. ;)

gee I'd hate to sound like im completely un-educated or never visited a farm before but from what animal is that skull supposed to be from anyways? I was thinking a bull or mad cow of some sort!?!?

Edited by spanner76

Something like that. Remember, this all takes place in a universe where genetic engineering is fairly common, and Humanity has colonized many new worlds, so there could be Xenos beasts that were domesticated for our purposes.

Just a guess.

Thank you for your kind words Mr. March. I just glad that my 2 hobbies are beneficial to one another. I can take pics of the toys and I can get more toys to take pics of. ;) If it was toy collecting and fishing.. not so beneficial. :)

We are very fortunate to have your work touch Macross. I doubt others will stop posting their pics, your work can only serve to inspire us to do our best. But if don't mind my asking, can you tell me how you take your pictures? What kind of lighting do you use, what lenses do you use and what kind of backrops are featured? I'm a VERY amateur photographer but I do know a little. I own a decade old Canon 300D digital SLR 6.3 mp with an 18-55 mm lens and I have a manfrotto tripod and head. I've taken some photos of my Macross stuff back in the day but nothing like you've done. Might want to give it a shot again since I'll soon have three really good reasons to do so :)

We are very fortunate to have your work touch Macross. I doubt others will stop posting their pics, your work can only serve to inspire us to do our best. But if don't mind my asking, can you tell me how you take your pictures? What kind of lighting do you use, what lenses do you use and what kind of backrops are featured? I'm a VERY amateur photographer but I do know a little. I own a decade old Canon 300D digital SLR 6.3 mp with an 18-55 mm lens and I have a manfrotto tripod and head. I've taken some photos of my Macross stuff back in the day but nothing like you've done. Might want to give it a shot again since I'll soon have three really good reasons to do so :)

You are too kind, thank you. I am just glad I am able to contribute in to MW. :) Time for you to break out that camera and start shooting. :D

Old shot of my Yamato VF-1 display... still basically the same today though:

gallery_14163_548_1174553.jpg

Very nice! I like your custom stands, very creative. :)

Edited by Saburo

gee I'd hate to sound like im completely un-educated or never visited a farm before but from what animal is that skull supposed to be from anyways? I was thinking a bull or mad cow of some sort!?!?

When I first saw that image when they aired Frontier, I'm thinking of a Bull or an Ox. Or a cross-over of both. ^_^

Old shot of my Yamato VF-1 display... still basically the same today though:

gallery_14163_548_1174553.jpg

Great poses! ;)

Awesome shots and collections - everyone. And envious me is envious of those with Max, Milia and/or a Cavaliers.

Would be kind of cool if there weren't three quotes of the exact same pic back-to-back-to-back, but that's just me being nit-picky. :)

-b.

hey guys, so here are a few photos of some test poses to start off with.. figured I'd mess around with them for a while seeing no one is home and I got the house to myself!

I thought I'd put my 1D back to this config with it holding Minmay in hand which I had previously. I think it looks cool her sitting there! and she sits there better than she does compared to in the cockpit!

Max & Kakizaki are still just test positions.. I apologize in advance for the low quality pics as I could only get my Note3 camera to focus in the poor light in this room whilst set to the lowest resolution no matter what settings I tried.. great phone, crap camera.. my DSLR was stolen from my car whilst parked at work.. low life scum bag whoever it was.. 5k camera :angry:

I am still a little cautious and nervous flexing these Valks around too much so these poses. As conservative as they look, this gonna be the most extreme I'll go with them. Im especially scared of moving the upper arms around too much cos the shoulder joints.. Kakizaki in this pose is surprisingly wobbly and it took a few leg knee twist adjustments to make it stable and not want to tip forward.. Max sits nice and steady! Think I'll keep him like this actually!

also sorry about the changing pc desktop image in the background.. got a few pics that randomly scroll through.

To some they might look a little lame but im too scared to push the limits! hehe! So let me know what you think so far! more suggestions are welcome!

post-21335-0-05852400-1406282503_thumb.jpg

post-21335-0-97048800-1406282510_thumb.jpg

post-21335-0-07873900-1406282519_thumb.jpg

post-21335-0-96221200-1406282525_thumb.jpg

post-21335-0-75790300-1406282533_thumb.jpg

post-21335-0-85892800-1406282540_thumb.jpg

post-21335-0-03145100-1406282548_thumb.jpg

Edited by spanner76

VF-1D looks great in those shots, is that a Hellcat in the back ground?

yeah im glad I put it back to that pose! and yep it sure is the Hellcat! Shame we wont get em in Australia..

This is a Valk pose I did for DarrinG's gun strap comp. :)

Nice shot! my VF-1J MPT is currently in an almost identical pose!