VF-1 Yamato 1/60 no paint kit

arrow

I was thinking of getting the no paint kit of the yamato vf-1 with option parts. And, I couldn't find the answers for this one while searching.

Does this come with the correct pins so as not to break the shoulder?

Will regular plastic cement work here?

Are the decals water slide and will it be durable enough?

thanks

I don't have one but there's this site called MECH9 and he posted there his work-in-progress on his VF-1A Milia along with a english translated instructions. Here's the links:

http://www.mech9.com/blog/2012/07/yamato-160-vf-1-no-paint-kit-w-bonus-parts-construction-manual/

http://www.mech9.com/blog/2012/08/160-vf-1a-miria-fallyna-jenius-version-build-part-i/

http://www.mech9.com/blog/2012/08/160-vf-1a-miria-fallyna-jenius-version-unofficial/

I'm assuming it all comes with the pins for its proper components. But if you're asking about the shoulder problem, I assumed it's a possibility. Sometimes, inserting the pin on the pegs can cause an early cracks while building it. So be sure to order some replacement shoulder parts from Shapeways for back-up since the one available at Shapeways is a little thicker than the one from the Yamato kit.

Here's the link from Shapeways:

http://www.shapeways.com/model/463232/kanzen-henkei-1-60-scale-fighter-variable-hinge.html?modelId=463232&materialId=6

Yup, plastic cement works for this too. But be careful though, just in case you need to fix something in the future, it might be a problem to open it up again if everything was applied with cement. Be sure to study the kit first for future problems. Decals I believe is waterslide. Not guarantee if it's durable or not since this is a transforming toy. Even if it's applied with topcoat there will always a possiblity of scratching and paint chipping.

Hope that helps. :)

I always assumed that the kits had the later, fixed, shoulders.

I've also got a sealed kit but I'm not sure if I should open it or not.

I wanted to attempt the Sundowners colours, but it may be beyond my talents.

post-29332-0-85872800-1405065426_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Old Man

I was thinking of getting the no paint kit of the yamato vf-1 with option parts. And, I couldn't find the answers for this one while searching.

Does this come with the correct pins so as not to break the shoulder?

Will regular plastic cement work here?

Are the decals water slide and will it be durable enough?

thanks

I got one and started building it this week. I am mostly finished with snapbuilding and using screws and all of the package first to check if it is complete and all and to properly prepare myself what will be the way to paint it.

to answer your question.

1. It has all the pins and screws needed. The pins are exact, no spare so be careful on this. The screws, I dunno if I missed some slot but there were a few spare.

the Pins if ever you lose one, just look for 1mm, 1.5mm and 2.0 mm diamater metal rods.

as for the shoulder breakage issue, the pins are not really marked or segregated. So just make sure you use the correct pins as to not cause plastic stressed. Based on Jenius (anymoon review for all VF1 v2), the assembly and un-painted kit are the v2.2 which means they are pretty safe in terms of shoulder issue.

2. I have tried using any cement or glue here since I am just testing the fits of the plastic. I would say yes, it might work since the plastic used in parts that needs to be glued, are not ABS plastic.

3. It has water slide decals and it seems thick enough. So in application, it might be tough enough but still, you need to topcoat/seal the decals after.

Here's another question for those of you who have painted these:

What kind of paint works well without rubbing off? Especially on the heat shield or die cast parts?

I see that Kyekye has tried the Duracoat sprays, but what of Tamiya lacquers?

^

i believe it is targeted towards modelers that can really customize their work. having it in colored translucent pieces will automatically limit the color choices in terms of painting it while having it clear, you will have choices on what color you can tint the canopy and other clear pieces.

I was also thinking about getting this kit! Where can it be found?

• 2 weeks later...

looks like it will be a fun kit to build.

I just have to worry about painting it, I don't see why they couldn't have put in colored translucent pieces for the lenses instead of clear.

That's how the colored Yamato VF-1's are as well---clear plastic with paint over it. There were no "clear red" parts etc ever created for any release.