Robotech Academy - You want a new Robotech series...?

I don't know man... you could be right but you're the only one that gets it... but basically they're all looking like idiots... it's working.

All I see are fans who are 29 years too late to be able to accomplish anything but brown nose after yet another official failure. I've seen this too many times to care. They can have the burnt out corpse of a forum they've found a niche for themselves. Maybe they can help revitalize robotechx.com after all the brown nosing that helped destroy the community there.

Mods, thank you for the help with the thread and allowing me to indulge over the last month. Whatever you want to do with the tread, I'm okay with it now that it's over. To me, it's all their problem now.

I am a firm believer that there should be some level of respect for those who have passed on. The post was a joke, in bad taste for me.

Whatever happens with HG from here on out, if they keep the same clowns, it will never bring out any new animation. We all, or most, agree that someone needs to get canned over this failure and even worse way to cancel the KS.

Lol. The comments. Some guy equated Studio Ghibli's current state of affairs as a failure that HG should be able to relate to. The delusions get grander.

LOL, They are truly delusional. oh my god! Edited by akt_m

Lol. The comments. Some guy equated Studio Ghibli's current state of affairs as a failure that HG should be able to relate to. The delusions get grander.

:blink: You equate a studio downsizing their animation department cuz the head RETIRED to HG not being able to properly run and fund a Kickstarter?

EP1TgIG.jpg

The secret that Frank Agrama is keeping, is that Harmony Gold bought the international Ghibli rights from Disney and now they're going to bring the whole Ghibli stable into the Robotech universe. I hear that Totoro is going to be a Karbarran and the huge tree where he lives the true source of the Flower of Life.

I must have wandered into an alternate universe, one of the cheerleaders over at rt.com is openly admitting that harmony gold cannot use any of the macross designs. This is news to me, I thought the goons swooped in and punished that kind of thought crime fairly zealously over there.

Yeah, that wasn't funny and in very poor taste. And people laughing about it over here certainly doesn't make the rest of us look good.

Right. That is in no way funny. They are making light of the fact that they are parading a dead guys corpse around which should "guilt" us into supporting. If Kawamori died, would some Japanese production house connected with Macross continually paste his name on things to keep the sales coming in? No... That would be SO disrespectful.

I must have wandered into an alternate universe, one of the cheerleaders over at rt.com is openly admitting that harmony gold cannot use any of the macross designs. This is news to me, I thought the goons swooped in and punished that kind of thought crime fairly zealously over there.

I took the time yesterday to educate them and posted the link to the court documents and rulings that we have here on their forums. It appears to have worked.

And whatever they are doing over at HG is on them, A1, not us. When you make fun of the dead guy you lose the high ground. And yeah, I get it, they're satirizing what HG is doing with his name. Still, it doesn't help our "cause," as it were.

Edited by Duke Togo

Right. That is in no way funny. They are making light of the fact that they are parading a dead guys corpse around which should "guilt" us into supporting. If Kawamori died, would some Japanese production house connected with Macross continually paste his name on things to keep the sales coming in? No... That would be SO disrespectful.

Yes, yes they would how often have you seen taglines like "From the mind of the god of manga Osamu Tezuka" on new things 20 years after his death?

Guest davidwhangchoi

too many games going on over here and there. it's derailing the the logic and MW posters are getting confused.

ahh, the fun is over :(

I thought it was pretty funny in a whistling 'always look on the bright side of life' sort of way, but I've always been a firm proponent of gallows humor anyway. It helps with the coping. It does seem to satirize the situation pretty well, poor taste or not.

It's certainly no less respectful to the man's memory than HG's antics have been, at any rate...

Still, robotech diehards actually looking at the legal situation without fingers in ears and heads in sand? I never thought I'd see the day.

I love how I became a "Lying Macross Purist Troll" for calling the Kickstarter what it was: crap of the first order. Didn't matter that I made my displeasure quite plain because I'm an actual fan of The Masters War/Southern Cross. Nope, I'm just a 'hater' and should have been burned at the stake along with the rest of you......

Hater_zps1db9f85e.jpg

That sanman guy is also the one who did the fancy contortionist move to equate Harmony Gold with Studio Ghibli.

The fallout to this is interesting and crazy. Some of these responses in-particular, but also in general, remind me of a quote:

"A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."

I suppose that sums up the Robotech fandom the last thirty years, really.

Robotech Academy failed for one big reason. There are only 2,284 fans of Robotech who only have a combined $194,574 to spend. The reason that everyone who could have donated but didn't is simple: Robotech is irrelevant to them.

Robotech Academy failed for one big reason. There are only 2,284 fans of Robotech who only have a combined $194,574 to spend. The reason that everyone who could have donated but didn't is simple: Robotech is irrelevant to them.

You're making the faulty assumption that those who donated constitute the limit of the franchise's reach. You're also making the faulty assumption that all those who were Robotech fans donated. Neither is true. This Kickstarter was doomed from the moment of its inception not only by having investment levels with diminishing returns, but also the fact that there was no an immediate series of defined Add-Ons. The continued updates that showed what people would actually be investing in caused it to falter big time.

That sanman guy is also the one who did the fancy contortionist move to equate Harmony Gold with Studio Ghibli.

Man, I thought that nutjob got banned ages ago... I guess they needed a shill now that Pizza the Hutt is an avid Macross fan.

The fallout to this is interesting and crazy. Some of these responses in-particular, but also in general, remind me of a quote:

"A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."

I suppose that sums up the Robotech fandom the last thirty years, really.

That's deep man, real deep. Who said that, if y'don't mind me asking?

I agree, it's a pretty fair summation of the last twenty-eight odd years of the Robotech fandom. Ever since Untold Story and the Sentinels series went under, the fandom's been involved in a decades-long game of "What if" and finding someone else to blame so they can convince themselves Robotech isn't dead.

In practical terms, Robotech is very dead. The coroner pronounced back on 25 July 1986 when Untold Story bombed at its test screening. All this nonsense that followed is just Harmony Gold attaching strings to the corpse and making one hell of an ugly marionette out of it.

Nah, a decent chunk of those 2,284 people were non-fans trolling to pull their donations out at the last minute... but when you get down to it, there were about 2,000 people who either cared enough to pledge money despite knowing full well it was damned to be the next in a series of embarrassing failures, who were deep enough in denial to think that there was a chance of success, or who just wanted to find out what happened to Admiral Rickroll Hunter.

There were quite a few Robotech fans who abstained from the Kickstarter out of sheer disgust... either because this was sold as Carl's dream was seen as being in breathtakingly poor taste, because they looked at the Kickstarter rewards tiers and went "Aw hell no!", or because they took one look at the designs and said "This is not what you promised". Quite a few I know personally abstained because they took one look at this and said "You're trying to rip off Macross Frontier, aren't you?"

The Kickstarter was doomed from the word "go" because it was Robotech, but other factors contributed heavily to ensuring that doom was utterly inescapable rather than "almost inevitable".

Edited by Seto Kaiba

You're making the faulty assumption that those who donated constitute the limit of the franchise's reach. You're also making the faulty assumption that all those who were Robotech fans donated. Neither is true. This Kickstarter was doomed from the moment of its inception not only by having investment levels with diminishing returns, but also the fact that there was no an immediate series of defined Add-Ons. The continued updates that showed what people would actually be investing in caused it to falter big time.

To go along with this, it was just simply not a well thought out Kickstarter - almost as if it was created in an afternoon so it could be announced at a convention. It was quite late in the game that they became somewhat synergistic across the different Robotech brands by suggesting add-on toys, exclusive Tactics game pieces, a new "art of" book, etc. I'm not sure if they just thought that if they offered new animation that fans would jump on it - no matter how ill fitting the title was to what they were attempting to create (Robotech Academy implies it would be about the education of the students, not an adventure to follow their parents to Tirol). On top of this, you have the added issues created by the creators of the Tactics game who have failed to meet deadlines and promises to fans on multiple occasions and you have a fan-base that is jittery about Kickstarter to begin with. There was a complete failure to reach out to fans of the show that are not on fan sites but might have supported this via advertising or creating some PR. No bone was thrown to Macross fans, only a slight nod was given to the Project:Valkyrie group, and there was virtually no attempt to ask if fans even wanted this concept.

To the original response - this would have likely succeeded if it had been a continuation of the Sentinels. It would have succeeded if they had negotiated a new deal with Big West and worked out their legal issues and announced that they were tying the new animation in with perhaps Macross 7. It might have even succeeded if they had chosen to not make this a pilot but an OVA.

But HG doesn't listen to anyone so fans responded by refusing to pay. But don't assume for a second that this was all that HG was capable of raising. They just didn't try to woo the fans - they just thought we would jump at the chance for more Robotech.

Yes, yes they would how often have you seen taglines like "From the mind of the god of manga Osamu Tezuka" on new things 20 years after his death?

But how many animation studios had a banner hanging overhead while the people that cared about him were trying to lay his remains to rest?

I REALLY wish I'd saved the photo of the Robotech ad at Mr. Macek's funeral. Because GOD DAMN.

But HG doesn't listen to anyone so fans responded by refusing to pay. But don't assume for a second that this was all that HG was capable of raising. They just didn't try to woo the fans - they just thought we would jump at the chance for more Robotech.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but that IS their idea of wooing the fans... they've spent a long time conditioning Robotech fans to be thrilled about ANYTHING new with the word "Robotech" on it.

They can't use the Macross designs, they won't revisit and finish Robotech II: the Sentinels, the fans hated Shadow Chronicles, and most fans hate Southern Cross and are indifferent towards MOSPEADA... so what can they honestly seek to woo fans with apart from "Look, it's more Robotech... maybe"? They don't have the skills to create quality original material, and even making cheap derivatives of the stuff that was actually popular is right out... so fanatical devotion to the brand name is all that they can really reliably trade on.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Maybe HG should start a story: What happened to minmay's little brother?

Afterall, he wanted some soda while Roy was staring at Minmay and later saw a vf-1d crash into his house. Hg should make him the new "boy that fell into a mecha" hero.

Maybe HG should start a story: What happened to minmay's little brother?

Afterall, he wanted some soda while Roy was staring at Minmay and later saw a vf-1d crash into his house. Hg should make him the new "boy that fell into a mecha" hero.

Didn't they do that in the novels?

Guest davidwhangchoi

Didn't they do that in the novels?

oh, i just thought of the stupidest idea...

i didn't think anyone would actually do it.