Robotech Academy - You want a new Robotech series...?

I'd rather see some Southern Cross flash animation since there are a few fans here and we are the most maligned and ignored fan community that I am aware of.....

Did someone say something? Anyone? Anyone?

:p

Even Macross fans got a Macross II on bluray... haha. *points*

Pretty sure that's legit, one of the original Robotech action figures.

's one of the reasons that it's hard to classify even the "original" Robotech as a successful series, even though it lasted at least one complete broadcast run. It was trying to push toys, and due to some screwball shenanigans with Revell and the general low quality of the mostly misaimed stuff they did produce, they were completely plowed-under by Hasbro's Transformer and GI-Joe lines.

Toynami was actually a pretty big step up for them in quality, but still pretty iffy.

FYI that figure was made by Matchbox/Mattel and was their attempt at entering the 3 3/4 market to compete with G.I. Joe. Needless to say this is a company that at the time was known for making dolls and little diecast cars so they had no clue what they were doing. Shoddy molds, bad paint app and brittle plastic led to a pretty bad line.

As far as Revell comes in, they originated the Robotech Defenders line by licensing several mecha model kits from various anime along Takara's Blockmen line. None of the them were hot sellers and the tie in comic bombed. Carl Macek and HG approached them at this point about the macross designs and a deal was struck that saw Revell give the Robotech name to HG in exchange for advertising and a small percentage of profits. The hope was it would reinvigorate the failing line they were losing a decent amount of money on.

Edited by renegadeleader1

Damn, I'm away for a few days and the kickstarter is already over! :)

I see that without the kickstarter discussions - and now that the whole kickstarter has been cancelled - the cannibalism has begun. As has the scapegoating. Laying responsibility for the failure of the kickstarter on everyone EXCEPT those people actually responsible for the kickstarter.

"Of Robotech fans I can only say this; of all the fandoms I have encountered in my travels, your's is the most...tortured."

I don't care if folks believe me or not, but you Robotech fans don't deserve the abuse from Harmony Gold. You don't deserve the incompetence of Tommy Yune. You don't deserve one failed project after another. Use your passion for Robotech to do whatever you can to secure the rights for Robotech from Harmony Gold and into the hands of real talent and professionalism. Or do what other self-respecting Robotech fans have done; leave Robotech and Harmony Gold behind. Enjoy the original and keep your fandom alive through fan works/sites, but refuse to fund Harmony Gold any further. Don't get involved in their projects. Don't participate on their websites. Boycott them completely. Hell, continue to hate Macross fans (we're a-holes anyway, so I don't blame you). Just take some good advice; get out of this relationship.

Yep. I had a countdown clock and everything.

I see that without the kickstarter discussions - and now that the whole kickstarter has been cancelled - the cannibalism has begun. As has the scapegoating. Laying responsibility for the failure of the kickstarter on everyone EXCEPT those people actually responsible for the kickstarter.

The fault, dear Robotech fans, is not your stars, but in yourselves...

I don't care if folks believe me or not, but you Robotech fans don't deserve the abuse from Harmony Gold...

Can't remember what they call abusive relationships where the victim keeps going back to the abuser.

It might have been better if HG kept the KS going till the end and accept a noble defeat, but sadly no.

"noble defeat"

I don't think they have an ounce of nobility in them to even accept defeat.

Just name the other people.

Just like that girl who hit a bicyclist, she was texting when she hit the guy and left him paralyzed. She complained about the dent the guy put on her car. Not even a sorry. She straight out said she didn't care about him.

You didn't get the message I sent you on Skype about it then?

Pretty much S.O.P. for a failed Robotech project. They never really get past the first two stages of grief... first they deny that it could've failed because it's rubbish, then they look for someone to blame. By "someone", I mean "someone other than Harmony Gold for doing a rubbish job and themselves for THANKING THEM for the rubbish job". We've yet to see who's going to get the blame for this... will it be the corpse of Carl Macek, Creavision, Kickstarter, the evil Macross purists, or someone else?

Or do what other self-respecting Robotech fans have done; leave Robotech and Harmony Gold behind.

The only real option open to them... hoping for someone else to buy Robotech just isn't realistic.

Hell, continue to hate Macross fans (we're a-holes anyway, so I don't blame you).

Nonsense... I'm as mild-mannered and diplomatic as they get.

Can't remember what they call abusive relationships where the victim keeps going back to the abuser.It might have been better if HG kept the KS going till the end and accept a noble defeat, but sadly no.

I don't think it's necessarily the term you have in mind, but Stockholm syndrome seems to fit pretty well here. :p

"noble defeat"

I don't think they have an ounce of nobility in them to even accept defeat.

It would have been more acceptable to have toughed it out. There are plenty of other KS projects that sit there waiting till the end before saying "we tried and failed, but at least we tried." HG can no longer say that 'cuz they quit before the clock ran out. They forfeited the game at the 7th inning just because they were down a few (hundreds of thousand) points.

I don't think it's necessarily the term you have in mind, but Stockholm syndrome seems to fit pretty well here. :p

I was thinking more along the lines of codependency.

It would have been more acceptable to have toughed it out. There are plenty of other KS projects that sit there waiting till the end before saying "we tried and failed, but at least we tried." HG can no longer say that 'cuz they quit before the clock ran out. They forfeited the game at the 7th inning just because they were down a few (hundreds of thousand) points.

And I know of at least one project that had a big spender drop enough cash to go from missing widely to right on track with less than a week to go.

And another where an investor contacted them after the Kickstarter failed offering to front the entire goal amount out of pocket.

Not that EITHER was going to happen in this case. They may've had a big spender circle in and bump it, but it wouldn't be enough, and some of the big spenders already on there WERE going to pull out.

As far as a mysterious benefactor showing up post-kickstarter... who would give them money?

I was thinking more along the lines of codependency.

*Ding* *Ding* We have a winner, folks.

"Of Robotech fans I can only say this; of all the fandoms I have encountered in my travels, your's is the most...tortured."

LMMFAO!! Is it wrong of me to have read that in William Shatner's voice? :p

More original animation than Live Love Alive.

Why HG? Why don't call the fans to make a version for you?

it's too hard say :

"Please fans, make a new series in the mold of RWBy, We will pay you with new figures".

Who's we kemosabe?

That's the problem... HG already thinks that RT fans will take anything but really it's the die-hard "we'll take anything anything we can get" attitude that's screwing it up for everyone. And they'll charge you a premium for it.

HG: Here's a toy!

RT Fan: Thank you! OMG, it's that one character from the never released series that we only dreamt about that one time they said it was going to come out soon!

*POOF!* Turns to dust!

RT Fan: Thank you HG, it was so good while it lasted!!! MORE!

Who's we kemosabe?

That's the problem... HG already thinks that RT fans will take anything but really it's the die-hard "we'll take anything anything we can get" attitude that's screwing it up for everyone. And they'll charge you a premium for it.

HG: Here's a toy!

RT Fan: Thank you! OMG, it's that one character from the never released series that we only dreamt about that one time they said it was going to come out soon!

*POOF!* Turns to dust!

RT Fan: Thank you HG, it was so good while it lasted!!! MORE!

Sounds about right!

Yep. I had a countdown clock and everything.

The fault, dear Robotech fans, is not your stars, but in yourselves...

Can't remember what they call abusive relationships where the victim keeps going back to the abuser.

It might have been better if HG kept the KS going till the end and accept a noble defeat, but sadly no.

Given how petty HG has run this kickstarter (spy tier and all) I wouldn't put it past them to have cancelled the kickstarter out of spite just to sabotage the failure celebrations.

I truly believe at this point the company-fan relationship is one of abuse and has been for many years. The reason HG keeps getting away with this kind of consumer mistreatment is exactly because they keep coming back. At least, they ONCE did so. This kickstarter appears to have been a wake up call that put that abusive relationship into the spotlight at last and many fans have simply left or refuse to aid HG anymore. Bravo to them.

You didn't get the message I sent you on Skype about it then?

Pretty much S.O.P. for a failed Robotech project. They never really get past the first two stages of grief... first they deny that it could've failed because it's rubbish, then they look for someone to blame. By "someone", I mean "someone other than Harmony Gold for doing a rubbish job and themselves for THANKING THEM for the rubbish job". We've yet to see who's going to get the blame for this... will it be the corpse of Carl Macek, Creavision, Kickstarter, the evil Macross purists, or someone else?

The only real option open to them... hoping for someone else to buy Robotech just isn't realistic.

Nonsense... I'm as mild-mannered and diplomatic as they get.

Unfortunately, I did not. But I'm up to speed now.

The franchise ccould still offer some entertainment, just not under the current regime. ANYONE can do a better job than Harmony Gold. Or at least, if anyone tried, they'd put in a legitimate effort that HG seems incapable of doing. I agree any acquisition of the Robotech IP is unlikely, but at least it would be the one endeavour worth pursuing with this company. Everything else is a waste. I don't care and at this point, nothing short of a stellar entertainment product would make me.

LMMFAO!! Is it wrong of me to have read that in William Shatner's voice? :p

I wanted to go at least a little melodramatic to help underscore the moment. Thought an 80's pop culture quote fit the 80's subject matter :)

HG should just sell robotech to Saban. It's right up his alley.

I'm confused by this alpha fighter with macross style super parts. I tried skimming through Shadow Chronicles to try and get a look at it but couldn't find it. Didn't the alphas just use betas? Even tried googling this alpha with super parts but didn't get any results

Edited by Sandman

Tommy Yune: "When we saw how well Kickstarter was doing for a lot of potential projects – fans started bugging us as well! They said, “if you throw something like this on Kickstarter, we’ll say shut up and take our money!” (laughs)"

Apparently, Robotech fans were far more discerning and cautious about what to do with their money than Tommy thought.

Tommy Yune: "This is a way for fans who are aware of who Carl Macek is, as the original producer, we can ask them, “hey, can you help make Carl Macek’s vision come true?” With their direct support, instead of designing the pilot to corporate interests, we can stay true to what all the fans want in the first place. It would be to the vision of Carl Macek, which is what we intended."

This isn't arthouse movie making. So, Tommy thinks they would make this Robotech project that was devoid of any corporate influence, but then expects a network to commit to a full series with him in charge creatively? Tommy has a lot to learn about how TV works.

OK, as the sands in the hourglass run out on this thread, it's time to pick your favorite moment of the entire Robotech Academy Kickstarter experience. I will get in first and name mine, THE BIG REVEAL!!!!

I want you guys to give me $500,000 on Kickstarter for making a sketch of a standing person every few days for the next month and describing a fanfic. I won't be able to give you any more information than that until I have your money, but stay tuned!

I'm still having a head time crunching the numbers here.

4-6 years of planning = -$?

SDCC Panel = -$?

Kickstarter planning + failure = -$?

There's a lot of payroll money that just walked out the door.

Does anyone have Franks number? Text him and wake him up?

Or is he actually dead, and the stooges have him in his office propped

Up on his desk with a smile drawn on his face?

Any real company, that invested that much, with nothing to show, would be letting

The production manager walk on home.

Unless he's operating Robotech at a loss as a tax write-off.

Maybe they're running this as a The Producers-style scam? Take in millions of investment money for the project, produce a total flop, and hope the IRS doesn't ask after the books?

Crap, now I'm tempted to call Harmony Gold's HQ and see if whoever answers picked up with "Bialystock und Bloom".

Favorite moment? I can't really think of anything in this thread I would want to label as a "favorite" anything. It was a poorly conceived and terribly executed kickstarter that once again simply abused the Robotech fanbase. It was a disgraceful act on behalf of Harmony Gold. Though it had the ancillary benefit of publically displaying how obsolete and out-of-touch Harmony Gold is with the modern business of media production and it's own consumers. Even Wired magazine caught on to it.

If I had to pick a "Moment Most Disgraceful" from this entire thread, it would be when Tommy Yune posted that co-opt of "Shut up and take my money". It was an example of a tragically self-unaware arrogance coming from the last guy on the planet that should be saying something like that, especially now that the kickstarter has utterly failed in a spectacular fashion.

*snip vid*

Very nice Tober :)

*snip vid*

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My sides are hurting, and I have tears in my eyes, that post right there is my favorite moment in this thread. As far as I'm concerned, that post should have been the last post in the thread before the lock.

In case I don't get to post in this thread again before the lock, I must say, I've found this thread not only highly entertaining, but also educational, as even I wasn't aware of the atrocities associated with Carl Macek's death, the banner at the funeral (I mean, REALLY?) or Tommy blaming his death on their failures. (Seriously dude?)

Anyways, it's been fun, it's been surreal, and thanks for all the fish! :)

Edited by Kyp Durron