Robotech Academy - You want a new Robotech series...?

HG's legal department is looking into how to challenge this in court as we speak :D

They're filing a lawsuit for patent infringement, because Carl invented crowdfunding.

Judge: "Right, well, that seems reasonable enough. You seem to have neglected to supply the patent as evidence, though."

HG: "Oh, that's confidential business information, we can't show it to you. But you can take our word for it."

J: "That's.... not how intellectual property law works. We can't just 'take your word for it'. We actually need to see your patent to verify your claims."

HG: "Funny, it's always worked before..."

If HG's Robotech creative team was as talented and resourceful as their lawyers, they would have a couple of TV series and films by now.

I'm shuddering to read that they actually plan to carry on with the Academy in some way or form even after the patent lack of interest from their fans.

You're quivering with excitement. That's not quite the same as a shudder.

The comedy train never stops at Harmony Gold!

Oh, lord, I just realized...

"Project by

Harmony Gold Productions

Los Angeles, CA

First created · 6 backed "

APPARENTLY, the Robotech budget has gone to funding LeVar Burton and Reading Rainbow(good on them, for once), as well as the fifty-five thousand dollar potato salad.

I wonder if Mr. Argama knows where his money is going.

Edited by JB0

Since they backed it HG are probably now gonna claim sole ownership and distribution rights for every potato salad outside of Ohio. Prepare for many a family lunches worldwide to start receiving Cease and Desist letters.

It was Carl's dream after all.

No offense but it does seem a lot of people on this site and RT.com are more than willing to stir **** up with the others thus fueling more ****. As someone who likes both RT and Macross I just want to see more produced of both....and hopefully DYRL on blu ray here in the states with a proper dub in my lifetime.

Anyway the Kickstarter failed SSDD, people hate HG SSDD, no new Macross in the states SSDD. Business as usual.

You don't want the DYRL Blu; Kawamori went all George Lucas on it. And we get all the Macross we want in the States. It's 2014, not 1984.

When will robotech fans learn that harmony gold has no skills and no talent to do anything original?

HG should go with plan Z already buy AstroPlan and adapt it to fit the robotech universe. That's the best they can do.

Most of us Robotech fans already know that. That's why the Kickstarter failed so miserably. No confidence in Harmony Gold. They have no ambition and no creativity. Plus when one of their major figures is a flaming a-hole who is quick with a Elementary School Temper Tantrum if you dare not drink the Kool-Aid doesn't help. Harmony Gold to reassess themselves and make major changes if they want to mend fences with fans. Clean house and get rid of the douchebags that have done nothing but continue to drive away long time fans, get some people in with some actual shred of creativity to bring a fresh concept to Robotech. Plus they should stop milking Carl Macek's death. God bless his soul, but let the Man rest in peace already. The name dropping during this campaign was shameless and disgusting. It reeked of emotional blackmail.

OMG in the LatinAmerican community they're talking about "Hate Campaign"

Where is the leftover Popcorn...?

So our clowning around can destroy the future of a beloved multimillion dollar franchise?... OMG, MW is frakking Inspector Gadget!!!

post-2996-0-27267800-1407068523_thumb.jpg

This sure makes one feel empowered. Do we start a poll to see what else MW should destroy with its mighty “Hate Campaign” cannon??

It won't let me see it. Can you copy an past what was said. Thank you.

For example, a guy wrote that this video is a "dirty campaign" and his 80k suscribers, if they were pledging $100 each the KS could have been saved....

For example, a guy wrote that this video is a "dirty campaign" and his 80k suscribers, if they were pledging $100 each the KS could have been saved....

what...

like seriously, I'm so confused by that statement.

Ok, picking my brain up off the floor for a second; Is this person trying to say that because one person on Youtube made a negative video about HG, all 80k of his subscribers decided not to donate and that's why the KS failed? what the frakk? :blink:

Also, they needed 80k people to donate $100 each to save a kickstarter with a $500,000 goal? I don't think that's how math works. :wacko:

Ok, picking my brain up off the floor for a second; Is this person trying to say that because one person on Youtube made a negative video about HG, all 80k of his subscribers decided not to donate and that's why the KS failed? what the frakk? :blink:

Also, they needed 80k people to donate $100 each to save a kickstarter with a $500,000 goal? I don't think that's how math works. :wacko:

In addition merely 35k people watched the video probably less because I watched it two times. ^_^

what...

like seriously, I'm so confused by that statement.

Yes, me too.

Lol wut?

Exactly

I know, it's nuts.

Edited by Gerli

Seems like the witch-hunt has already begun over on Robotech.com, at least informally.

They've got a few fans on the Kickstarter thread over there starting in the with the "if you're speaking critically of Harmony Gold, you must be supporting those lying, baby-eating Macross purists"... unironically. It seems like the hunt is on for someone to blame for a spectacular and highly visible failure.

I hope Kevin doesn't plan on bragging about raising nearly $200,000 because it is completely irrelevant because unless a project hits the goal it sets on Kickstarter (in this case, $500K) they don't get a dime... he might as well be talking about Monopoly money because HG gets nothing out of this whole experience...

Edited by Tom Bateman

I hope Kevin doesn't plan on bragging about raising nearly $200,000 because it is completely irrelevant because unless a project hits the goal it sets on Kickstarter (in this case, $500K) they don't get a dime... he might as well be talking about Monopoly money because HG gets nothing out of this whole experience...

They did get that guy who tried to generate $300,000 with a very ill-advised video. A.K.A. New social media opportunity outside of talkshoe and Facebook.

Edited by Einherjar

From the robotech.com forums last night:

I know its frustrating but keep on the high road.

Why?

Your help was monumental, and crucial to raising $194,574 USD in less than 35 days. Think about that for a moment: $194,574 USD, from over 2,284 backers, for a project that was unknown a mere 35 days ago!

So what have we achieved together? Well, for a start, what was once an obscure project at Harmony Gold has rocketed forward with new artwork, merchandise, and casting announcements.

But you, our supporters, have achieved even more than that. You proved that the demand for a new animated Robotech project is strong, and that you are willing to put your money up to help make the new series a reality. Thanks to your efforts, more people have not only discovered Robotech Academy, but new fans are also taking a look at Robotech for the first time ever!

No money raised, just an unfulfilled pledge...

Proved demand? If anything it proved lack of demand... 2000 interested individuals doesn't even make a good youtube view count. If that's their target number audience then trying to get it into syndication might prove a bit challenging.

Seems like the witch-hunt has already begun over on Robotech.com, at least informally.

They've got a few fans on the Kickstarter thread over there starting in the with the "if you're speaking critically of Harmony Gold, you must be supporting those lying, baby-eating Macross purists"... unironically. It seems like the hunt is on for someone to blame for a spectacular and highly visible failure.

Can't they just blame EXO like we do here? (He actually wanted the KS to succeed so maybe he jinxed it... :p )

but, but, but 194K is so much money, it proves that 2,000 people are willing to pay that much.... right?

They didn't include the 10 people or more who put in like 30% of the over all amount.

It did prove that some fundamentalist RT followers are willing to throw money like a 10 stripper on stage

in order to get their animation boner going. It also proved that the mass of fan base really didn't get much of anyone

new to join up for the cause.

A good project will reach way outside of a fan base. A good project also succeeds.

Still with all that said, a multi-million dollar company used an independent based funding source

to pay for an idea that couldn't even be saved by it's own ideal. That to me is the biggest nail in the coffin.

But you, our supporters, have achieved even more than that. You proved that the demand for a new animated Robotech project is strong, and that you are willing to put your money up to help make the new series a reality. Thanks to your efforts, more people have not only discovered Robotech Academy, but new fans are also taking a look at Robotech for the first time ever!

I question the sentience of anyone who, upon seeing the nonsense involved in this kickstarter, would actually suddenly become a fan of the franchise.

If anything, I'd assume anyone not already acquainted with Robotech would see this mess and decide it wasn't worth the storage space it took up on the KS servers. I don't think there's any possible way the publicity from the kickstarter would attract more people than it drove away.

This is like the very definition of anti-achievement.

Edited by Chronocidal

If anybody says that, I'd asked if they were sure they didn't forget to take their meds. You can only brag about it if you actually got that money, which they didn't since they never reached their goal. On top of that, they cancelled with 6 days left on the clock.

"Proved that there is demand"??? If they reached their goal, it would have proved there was demand. But they didn't and they ended early due to lack of demand.

Your help was monumental, and crucial to raising $194,574 USD in less than 35 days.

Let's do the math with the numbers. So you averaged $6,949.07/day. On day 35, you would have $243,217.50. That's still below 50% of the goal. At that rate, it would have taken them ~72 days to reach their goal of $500,000.

Still with all that said, a multi-million dollar company used an independent based funding source to pay for an idea that couldn't even be saved by it's own ideal. That to me is the biggest nail in the coffin.

Some of the comments of the KS page are funny. Some think "Plan B" is to fund it themselves. If they didn't fund it themselves and resorted to KS to fund, how can "Plan B" be to fund it themselves? I need a glass of milk so I can squirt liquid out my nostrils as I laugh.

Some of the comments of the KS page are funny. Some think "Plan B" is to fund it themselves. If they didn't fund it themselves and resorted to KS to fund, how can "Plan B" be to fund it themselves? I need a glass of milk so I can squirt liquid out my nostrils as I laugh.

Haha!

Maybe that flower of life thing is real and they're all smoking it...

Oh man... Us MWer's are so mean... I want to start a Kickstarter that does a Drunk History version of the Robotech story...

That is a serious case of delusion right there!! Or extreme sarcasm...

Sarcasm. I think all the Southern Cross fans in the world could fit in a small economy car.