Robotech Academy - You want a new Robotech series...?

Great idea for a poll.

How would you like to see Luke Skywalker die?

a) Crashes his X-wing into the Lucasfilm ranch.

b) Crashes his t-16 into a Womprat he was trying to bullseye.

c) Forgets which end of his lightsaber is the pointy end and turns it on and cuts himself in half.

d) Old age.

Great idea for a poll.

How would you like to see Luke Skywalker die?

a) Crashes his X-wing into the Lucasfilm ranch.

b) Crashes his t-16 into a Womprat he was trying to bullseye.

c) Forgets which end of his lightsaber is the pointy end and turns it on and cuts himself in half.

d) Old age.

I'd want it to remain a Noodle Incident, something so improbable that nobody can describe it onscreen.

We're not even bashing it. Most of the talk here is about how badly HG has handled the property.

Which is fine, because that's 99% of what they're talking about on the Kickstarter anyway... they've recently fallen back on that old awful standby of "why not incorporate another Macross show into Robotech instead?"

I'm saying Luke will die in a new SW movie before anyone hears about Ricky.

I'm sure Mark Hamill and everyone else in the original trilogy will have long passed IRL and been replaced by unconvincing CG stand-ins before we ever see Rick Hunter in animated form again.

Edited by anime52k8

I'm going to be shocked and appalled if this thread doesn't get locked after a heated RT/Macross debate!

Dammit that's what it's supposed do!

Not when one franchise has to beg for money from the public directly in order to do legitimate work.

I love Jem. I still spool it up on Netfilx from time to time and nobody here at home thinks that's strange.

I think more Robotech fans should start watching Jem and be happy.

It's a simple equation. They would have their nostalgia and a new movie. Everyone wins.

I'm kinda amazed this thread has gone 46 pages and it hasn't devolved into the usual insult/name calling nonsense we usually see in the Robotech threads here.

It's a spectator-sport for us now. It's been 9 years since the case ended. We just sit back and eat the popcorn now. I think I was the 1st one to break out the popcorn when Hasbro got sued last year.

I think many of us have grown up a little. Most of the fans from the days when RT was on the air are in their mid 30's now.

So are the RT fans. Macross has gained a new fanbase and will do so when the next series comes out. RT's fanbase, well, is stagnant.

Truly, truly, truly outrageous. lol...

Took someone long enough.

I'll just quote this to reply to that thought.

Oddly enough, that's a pretty common practice whenever a Robotech fan wants to claim that they've "seen" a show for the sole purpose of belittling it to make Robotech look better (in their opinion)...

Speaking of Family Guy and this thought, I'm reminded of this:

All I know is that people have failed a lot less than Yune and Co. and been fired for it. So why the hell are they still being allowed to push their 1/4-assed ideas? I actually kinda feel bad for the RT fanbase, this is bordering on mental anguish.

Could it be that these guys do it as a hobby and have a full time job somewhere? WOuld explain a lot. But I do know one thing, people have gotten canned for less.

I'm kinda amazed this thread has gone 46 pages and it hasn't devolved into the usual insult/name calling nonsense we usually see in the Robotech threads here.

:5: It has all been said already.

Just finished reading the Pledge Levels for the Robotech Takeover KS... Man, I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. Totally worth the read. I can see this latest RT/KS fiasco ending up as a sidebar skit on 'Family Guy'.

Then HG will sue them for it

Yeah, so, Luke Skywalker will appear in a Star Wars film again before Robotech fans ever find out the fate of Rick Hunter. Just saying.

That should be in your sig bro

I actually feel bad for Yune & co. Had those guys been hired somewhere else back when they were hired for HG they could have worked with other people, learned their crafts better, been promoted, and almost certainly make a whole lot more money than they're making now. Even then, if their dream job was to work on Robotech I doubt their dream job was to drive the franchise into the ground so hard that most fans would agree that Robotech as a franchise would have been better off had it just been not tended at all in that decade.

Could it be that these guys do it as a hobby and have a full time job somewhere? WOuld explain a lot. But I do know one thing, people have gotten canned for less.

Nope... as far as anyone is aware, Tommy Yune was brought in by Harmony Gold as a full-time employee whose principal job was to resuscitate Robotech after Carl Macek and their licensees succeeded in running it into the ground hard enough to make some extinction-event meteor strikes feel like they weren't trying hard enough. Steve was brought in after Tommy (some allege they're related and it was nepotism) to be Robotech.com's webmaster and somehow also found himself responsible for managing all the licensing agreements, and McKeever was hired to be Robotech's marketing director. Of the lot, McKeever's the only one with a skillset that is at least technically relevant to Harmony Gold's other area of business (real estate).

If what's been said about their compensation is true, those three are collectively about $180,000 in sunk costs for Harmony Gold on an annual basis. It's a stupendous waste of the company's money on three stooges who behave so unprofessionally that the best thing to do would be to can the lot of them as a peace offering to all the customers they've mortally offended. Even Scruffy from Futurama is more productive and personable.

180? Woa. That's a lot of cash down the drain. Hell, I'll go work for them and do nothing, blame everyone else for my mistakes and throw out cheap products at you.

From a personal expense standpoint, yeah it looks like a lot of money. In a corporate mindset, $180,000 isn't exactly peanuts, but it's not that significant an expenditure if you're getting your money's worth. Harmony Gold definitely isn't. Collectively, their jobs at Harmony Gold could easily be done by a single person with a BA in animation design and one on-call attorney to handle the legal grimble when it comes up on a by-incident basis (~$250 a go).

Since art majors have almost no marketable skills in the real world, you could probably get one who'd consider it a G.O.O.D. job (Get Out Of Debt) for about two-thirds of what they're paying Tommy Yune (so ~$40,000) and pocket the $140,000 that they've saved by not having redundant staff loafing around the office or trolling the internet on company time making things worse. Get the art major to work from home, and they could even claim a modest carbon credit.

Right now, those three clowns are each drawing roughly the same pay that a reasonably skilled entry-level professional might expect working in electrical, mechanical, or computer engineering. Talk about a waste of money. They've pissed away more than they spent on Shadow Chronicles just letting these idiots sit around the office and toss cards into a hat since Shadow Chronicles came out.

I would like to thank everyone in this thread, and especially Harmony Gold, for keeping me entertained for the last 3 weeks.

I mean, at least give Harmony Gold credit for this kickstarter being much more entertaining to watch than Shadow Chronicles.

I actually feel bad for Yune & co. Had those guys been hired somewhere else back when they were hired for HG they could have worked with other people, learned their crafts better, been promoted, and almost certainly make a whole lot more money than they're making now. Even then, if their dream job was to work on Robotech I doubt their dream job was to drive the franchise into the ground so hard that most fans would agree that Robotech as a franchise would have been better off had it just been not tended at all in that decade.

Honestly, I don't feel too bad for them. To me, it looks like a circumstance created by complacency and apathy. They've voluntarily chosen to remain employed at Harmony Gold and collect an easy paycheck, in exchange for producing relatively little work. Nothing's been stopping them from looking for more challenging work elsewhere.

The Kickstarter has crossed an important milestone...

They now need over $50,000 a day for the next six days to meet their goal.

At time of writing, the Robotech Academy Kickstarter stands $305,436 (61.1%) short of its goal of $500,000 with a current total of merely $194,564 (38.9%). The average daily pledge total continues to hover around $1,400, with a new all-time low projection of just $214,514 if the current trend continues (not counting backers bailing). Kicktraq's low end estimate is a hair over $200,000... mine, based on the current steady trend and the possibility of backers bailing on the KS at the end suggests they'll fall just short of $200,000. Meanwhile, the burning question on the Kickstarter's comments page is "Why so quiet, McKeever?"

Guest davidwhangchoi

The Kickstarter has crossed an important milestone...

They now need over $50,000 a day for the next six days to meet their goal.

At time of writing, the Robotech Academy Kickstarter stands $305,436 (61.1%) short of its goal of $500,000 with a current total of merely $194,564 (38.9%). The average daily pledge total continues to hover around $1,400, with a new all-time low projection of just $214,514 if the current trend continues (not counting backers bailing). Kicktraq's low end estimate is a hair over $200,000... mine, based on the current steady trend and the possibility of backers bailing on the KS at the end suggests they'll fall just short of $200,000. Meanwhile, the burning question on the Kickstarter's comments page is "Why so quiet, McKeever?"

Well they already gave up..

he already posted that they're getting ready for the Post KS RT academy era.

Well they already gave up..

he already posted that they're getting ready for the Post KS RT academy era.

This really is sounding like it's going to be this staff's Robotech 3000... a CG-heavy project trotted out to the general derision and scorn of their audience, canceled due to the overwhelmingly negative reaction it received after just the teaser, which they tried to revive in a second, slightly different incarnation before senior management stepped in and said "You suck, we're canceling your budget".

We're at the "try to revive it in a slightly different second incarnation" step right now.

Since art majors have almost no marketable skills in the real world, you could probably get one who'd consider it a G.O.O.D. job (Get Out Of Debt)

I resent that. <_<

Edited by anime52k8

I would like to thank everyone in this thread, and especially Harmony Gold, for keeping me entertained for the last 3 weeks.

I mean, at least give Harmony Gold credit for this kickstarter being much more entertaining to watch than Shadow Chronicles.

Yes, they deserve a hand.

post-5492-0-66825500-1406999504.gif

What??? Not even a goodbye or sorry folks...

Did I just get dumped?

*Dumps popcorn... grabs ice cream"

Now now EXO, they're just embarrassed that things aren't working out for them... though this is gonna raise a LOT of very awkward questions for their next round of convention panels.

EDIT: I wonder whose head's going to roll for this.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Now now EXO, they're just embarrassed that things aren't working out for them... though this is gonna raise a LOT of very awkward questions for their next round of convention panels.

LOL... yes. Answers that will be a lot easier to give than if the project was still floundering... but what answers...

will it be about how we conspired to insure the project's failure?

Heil Hydra!

Yeah, so, Luke Skywalker will appear in a Star Wars film again before Robotech fans ever find out the fate of Rick Hunter. Just saying.

Speaking of Mark Hamill he will probably reprise his role as the Joker, a character he tentatively has retired from portraying anymore, in several more video games and Batman animated series before he voices another Robotech character... or find out Rick Hunter's fate. ;)

Hard to believe it was just several weeks ago I predicted the failure of this Kickstarter though I felt they would have at least gotten past the $300,000 mark.

LOL... yes. Answers that will be a lot easier to give than if the project was still floundering... but what answers...

will it be about how we conspired to insure the project's failure?

Heil Hydra!

I'm not so sure... they've been getting a lot of flak, even on strictly-policed Robotech.com.

It'd be fantastic if this was the last straw for a big portion of their remaining audience... so many new potential Macross fans who would be enjoying the many shows for the first time. I'm getting warm fuzzies just thinking about it.

Seig Zeon!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1381502542/robotech-academy/posts

New update.