Robotech Academy - You want a new Robotech series...?

I strongly suspect the opposite will happen. IMO several of the $2000+ backers were in it for a laugh and will withdraw their pledges towards the end to maximize the amount of robotech fan tears.

Wouldn't it be a hoot if the $10,000+ backer was also in it for a laugh and bailed before the end?

I strongly suspect the opposite will happen. IMO several of the $2000+ backers were in it for a laugh and will withdraw their pledges towards the end to maximize the amount of robotech fan tears.

Thats a given when it fails.

It'd be funny if there was a huge rush of donors and the kickstarter succeeded with a wall of enemy spy donors.

That would be hilarious.

Wouldn't it be a hoot if the $10,000+ backer was also in it for a laugh and bailed before the end?

I won't be surprised if the $1 and $2 backers pull out at the end. Most are probably there just to fill up the Comments page.

That would be hilarious.

I won't be surprised if the $1 and $2 backers pull out at the end. Most are probably there just to fill up the Comments page.

Someone finally had the audacity to voice the accusations of shameless coffin-surfing with regards to Harmony Gold's Robotech Academy pitch being little more than "Do it for Carl, it's what he would've wanted" over on Robotech.com and said that it was not really Carl's project.

He got a response from McKeever asking what exactly they did that was coffin-surfing, and a kool-aid drinker who had this to say:

No, it's totally Carl's project. His idea, his story, his work, his script.

By extension, I think that makes it his failure too... which, I suppose, would make for nice continuity with the rest of Carl's work on Robotech. Still, nice to know that they're setting the stage to sh*t all over a dead man's reputation in six days.

It's one thing to start out by saying, "this was Carl's last work, let's see if we can make it a reality for him," and yet another to continually hammer the "do it for Carl" mantra.

Edited by Duke Togo

Guest davidwhangchoi

At this point, HG really has to recognize how generally disliked (to put it mildly) they are. I don't think they can move forward successfully without doing so. Unless they're perfectly happy just trudging along, they have to face their PR problems head on. And their PR guy is mainly there as a shield from all the crap being hurled at them and take responsibility for all the things they've said but have to walk away from.

What I'm wondering now is will Robotech Academy become another unseen chapter in the Robotech continuity? I've never seen a franchise build an extended universe just on unreleased and unrealized materials. They can just keep releasing concepts and sell toys based on log lines and scriptments. Who's up for an MPC Drone Veritech? Shapeways replacement parts sold separately. Not intended for kids under 35. Similarities to other toys is purely coincidental and not intended. Join us on our new Facebook page, Robotech: Alumni, based on Carl Macek's second to last project at Harmony Gold. Please make this dream become a reality. Not like the last one you bunch of ungrateful fans. You killed that last one. You should all be ashamed!

dear hg, stop making excuses.

-Youran Elohssa!

I like how they are keeping Robotech going by...

Going to a few small conventions, and releasing the re re re re re re re rerelease of Robotech again.

yes, keeping it alive, on life support, in a fatal coma.

Yep, keeping the Robotech franchise limping along because a few painfully stupid people really want to believe that one day their faith will be rewarded and Robotech will make its triumphant return to... the success it never had in the first place. Hmm...

Hey Harmony Gold, why not just cut out the pretense and just start a frigging cult already? You could keep all your nutty fans of the Robotech franchise and you wouldn't be in the way of Macross anymore. You could even apply for a tax exemption! That's gotta be better than you're doing living the lie that Robotech has any chance of becoming a credible mecha franchise.

How many minutes of content has HG released since the original Robotech? The Untold Story, Sentinels, 3000, Shadow Chronicles and Love, Live, Alive...That's like what? A little over 300 minutes over a quarter of a century? They're really demanding a lot patience from their fanbase.

They're really demanding a lot patience from their fanbase.

Sadly most of that fan base has turned on them and everyone that still has patience are blaming us for some reason. Masochists!

Meh, I'd be happy with just paying to sue HG out of their unrightful trademark on Macross.

I for one, do not want to see an American made live action macross, robotech.. anything mecha film.

We've proven we can't make good mecha movie. Anyone who says pacific rim is just excited because

it wasn't awful. It definitely wasn't "good"

Plus I'd be willing to bet, that one of two things would happen.

HG wounldn't sell the rights just to continue being the douche's they have always been.

Call up Frank and tell him you'll give him what he paid for the license, and you'll give Yun and co.

a job at In n Out burger, and he might take it.

I highly doubt KS is going to allow someone with no plan, or even an outline continue looking for 100Million, essentially trolling another KS project.

I think the RT fans maybe hitting the rabid climax of being upset with HG. HG won't be selling the license. It's their one true trophy of power. It's the most talked about thing on their website.

I assume HG will sell the rights to Macross and RT, when they are not only sunk, but the owners have to choose between it and their house.
We are more likely to have Big West build a VF-1, fly it to HG headquarters to punch Tommy in the face, than have them give up the rights for under

some redic amount like 1B.

What puzzles me is why HG even still cares about Robotech? It can't be THAT much of a profit maker. Most of their revenue comes from real estate investments anyhow. They could probably make more money off of dividends if they sold off their robotech assets and put whatever they got into a mutual fund.

[sardonic quotes..]

Edited by CoreyD

The failure of this project is a certainty, unless it gets a lot of mysteriously huge donations in the next week. However, I don't think this failure, even as high profile as it is, will change anything for Harmony Gold. For the last 30 years, they've been sputtering through failed project after failed project, whether it's the Megazone movie mash up, The Sentinels, Crystal Dreams on the N64, 3000, comics, Shadow series, etc. They'll just keep spinning their wheels with Robotech re-releases and try every few years to gin up interest with some new failed project.

What puzzles me is why HG even still cares about Robotech? It can't be THAT much of a profit maker. Most of their revenue comes from real estate investments anyhow. They could probably make more money off of dividends if they sold off their robotech assets and put whatever they got into a mutual fund.

[sardonic quotes..]

Its to make it look like a few ppl there are actually working.

Per McKeever:

Video game rights are over at WB as part of the LAM deal.

Not that they were going to produce a game, but way to just cut yourself off from licensing the rights to a company that will use them. It's the Bad News Bears over at HG.

Just a few "do it for Carl" videos short of being as solid as what HG chucked out on Kickstarter... and I say this as a guy who would like to see the Robotech universe explored again.

Hope the "Robotech take over" KS lasts at least untill the end of the HG one :lol:

How many minutes of content has HG released since the original Robotech? The Untold Story, Sentinels, 3000, Shadow Chronicles and Love, Live, Alive...That's like what? A little over 300 minutes over a quarter of a century? They're really demanding a lot patience from their fanbase.

Hmm... not counting a few minutes worth of teaser trailers like the hilariously ill-timed UN trailer for Shadow Chronicles, all they've achieved in going-on thirty years is 338 minutes of animated content. They've produced an hour or two of propaganda that they marketed as documentary footage, but nobody really cared about that nonsense.

They've been trying to release some kind of animated continuation for Robotech for 28 years and 7 days (since the failed test screening of Robotech: the Untold Story), and in those 10,234 days they've released 338 minutes of footage. That means the twenty-eight years or so of the Robotech franchise's sequel efforts has averaged 12 minutes, 3 3/4 seconds of footage a year.

Currently, Harmony Gold's average downtime between failed attempts at a sequel is 6 years, 9 months.*

* Actually 6 years, 273.75 days, but I'm rounding.

Per McKeever:

Video game rights are over at WB as part of the LAM deal.

Not that they were going to produce a game, but way to just cut yourself off from licensing the rights to a company that will use them. It's the Bad News Bears over at HG.

You have to remember... back in 2007, when Harmony Gold licensed the rights to Robotech to Maguire Entertainment, they were utterly convinced that Warner Bros was going to make Robotech an international multimedia phenomenon to rival those Michael Bay Transformers movies. They thought Warner Bros was going to go whole hog, and throw hundreds of millions of dollars at it for developing a live-action movie, maybe a few equally high-budget sequels, a television series, a line of video games, y'know... all the trimmings.

They didn't anticipate that Warner Bros and Maguire Entertainment would treat Robotech like the utterly irrelevant property that we know it is, and generally neglect the hell out of the project while focusing on literally anything and everything else, while they tried and failed to find someone competent to take the helm.

Edited by Seto Kaiba