Robotech Academy - You want a new Robotech series...?

Hey, maybe some new grad from a trade school can take the job on. Heck, he can't do any more damage.

I don't want the continuing adventures of Mospeada, and or southern cross. Most RT fans wants the story following Rick and Lisa.

To which I say, should be left alone, because HG's staff has proven when it's time for them to actually do the story telling, they fail hard.

So unless HG pays Mikiomoto, Kawamori, and the like to write a alternate universe to the Macross continuity, and tell a new story with

the RT characters, there's no point in anyone asking for a new story.

If Frank wants to make money, it's simple, invest in a good company to run Merchandise. I don't need coasters, mugs, mouse pads and

stuff like that which I can source on my own, illegally or not. I want some high end collectible pieces that can *cross-over*.

Meaning anything from any one of the original anime's can translate between Robotech and Macross, Mospeada, Southern Cross.. ect.

For exsample, the book ends. While not my thing, If I had grabbed them before they had sky rocketed in price. The box may say VF-1S Roy Fokker

vs. Battle Pod. In my Collection it would simply be VF-1S Roy Focker vs. Regult. It bridges the gap between both fan bases, and you essentially double dip. That's all it takes. While the new blind boxed mini figures from toynami are cool and all, it's just another rip-off of the vinyl art collections. On top of that, I'm pretty sure nobody here will ever trust Toynami to make a quality product after so many issues with releases.

I don't know what the relationship with Bandai is, and or what damage was done by playing games with BW, and BW's influence on Bandai's control on selling to the US. But even a re-issue line of Bandai molds would be a hot seller, especially if they finally got off their ass and gave us the 1D, E1, and T1. I know it's a long shot, but that's money in the bucket.. finally getting the chance to own a vintage like 1D would hit every fan, group and collector in the heart like a reactive missile.

Instead... Academy, and Robotech/Voltron.

If Frank ever reads this, Fire the morons running this franchise.

Start new, and just use your existing work. Use the license to make actual money.

You don't need to waste money on projects. How much money did HG waste sending

the three stooges to SDCC? How much productive time was spent to think up a failed

concept?

I'd like to see how HG spins all this negative PR into a positive during their next panel.

It's gonna be a laughfest. Do they even have a Plan-B?

At this point they've already used up plans A-M, the alphabet is getting short!

More like Fiero mode, if you know what I mean.

Still too dignified. Pinto mode! Or maybe Corvair mode, if it starts going too quick and then completely loses control.

Eventually HG is going to get outpaced by technology, so if the end doesn't come soon, it will eventually.

Of course that's actually using logic. I could see HG putting out VHS tape collections when everyone else has moved on to DVD.

On the production end, that happened back in 1999... they brought some weaksauce CG to the table and the fans booed them over it. Their new distributor doesn't seem to want to put the show out on Hulu, Netflix, or YouTube though, which is lulzy. They finally found someone as primitive as they are.

At this point they've already used up plans A-M, the alphabet is getting short!

Nah, they've only ever used Plan B... the B is short for Blame someone else!

(As far as my sinking ship analogy... it occurred to me that, in terms of his MO, Tommy's an awful lot like our favorite captain, the legendary Zap Brannigan!)

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Two discussions going on within the KS chat right now: a petition for HG to stop with their shenanigans, and yet another assertion that Robotech is successful around the world, and Macross, well, it's not doing all that well.

What other fanbase is like this?

Don't be too hard on Robotech fans for the latter. The Macross and Robotech fan bases had a lot of bad blood between them for years. It's expected human behaviour that Robotech fans would mentally marginalize or attempt to publically deny the enduring popularity and success of Macross. The antagonism between Macross/Rbotech fandoms indicted "the franchise of Macross" in the eyes of many Robotech fans. If I were in their place - and I thank the gods I am not - I might act the same way.

You know what's sad in all this; it didn't have to be this way.

Harmony Gold's abuse of my beloved Macross franchise, their litigious bullying of toy vendors, denying Macross fans what we wanted (the very thing Macek claimed he was doing with Macross in the first place)...if none of that existed, I might have been open to Robotech. Hell, if the bad blood never was and a legitimately great Robotech production came to be, I can't deny there's a chance I would have been into it. To me it just would have been a reinterpretation, a remake, a reimagining; easily categorized especially if it was really fun and entertaining. But that could never happen because of the narrow-minded idiots at Harmony Gold. Harmony Gold's behaviour effectively lost me as a customer, a customer that could have been filling their pockets for 20+ years if they just let us have Macross and produced quality content themselves.

How hard is that? (rhetorical question)

Two discussions going on within the KS chat right now: a petition for HG to stop with their shenanigans, and yet another assertion that Robotech is successful around the world, and Macross, well, it's not doing all that well.

To be fair, the few people trying to kid themselves that Robotech is successful around the world are some of the more notorious fanatical pro-Robotech zealots out there. I'm personally familiar with a few of them, though it surprises me not at all that Treiz is the one doing most of the talking on that side. Like bankofkev back in the day, he's kind of a sleazy bloke and one of the more desperate and delusional Robotech fans. I've seen him lie in debates in some sort of hilariously stupid roundabout effort to get people to buy Robotech art books.

I'm pleasantly surprised by the way the majority are not only ignoring the pro-Harmony Gold shills, but are also taking the most reasonable and mature route open to them. If this were happening on the Robotech.com of five years ago, there would be an assortment of frothy-mouthed fanatics sending e-mailed death threats to every Macross fan they could find.

EDIT: And they slipped... now they're back to wishing and theorizing about the Robotech live action movie that Warner Bros isn't making, and whether or not Harmony Gold can authorize the use of the Macross designs for that. If we took away their Macross nostalgia, would there even be any Robotech fans left? <_<

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Side note --

I just had a horrifying thought about this ship:

e6c059c8f1ece6a58dc8eceb47ab0d01_large.j

I noticed that each "ship-gun" looks a lot like the SDF-1's energy cannons...how much of a stretch would it be to guess that they're going to say that this ship was made out of the cannons that Khyron sheared off in his attack?

Wait, I probably shouldn't give them free ideas.

My read of it was "Incompetence made manifest". Three words, I know, but I'm a heavy tipper. When the gun needs both booms to fire, what's the use of a battle configuration that separates the two into separate craft?

My read of it was "Incompetence made manifest". Three words, I know, but I'm a heavy tipper. When the gun needs both booms to fire, what's the use of a battle configuration that separates the two into separate craft?

I'm still waiting to hear for a "Trans-Am" feature. It's got GN Buster Swords, and GN-drive cone-engines on the lower section.

I'm still waiting to hear for a "Trans-Am" feature. It's got GN Buster Swords, and GN-drive cone-engines on the lower section.

Well. They have 9 days and have 190k.

I don't believe they get the rest until the day 0^^

The jury seems to be split on whether the "GN Swords" things are going to turn out to be separate ships in their own right, or are just there for the sake of stapling random glowy bits all over everything.

Someone commented that HG had the rights to use the macross characters and designs. Really? I guess some people hold on to their wrong beliefs, even in the face of the truth

We don't know if they just don't know the facts, or if they're just guessing wildly... there are still plenty of Robotech fans who don't know the truth about Harmony Gold's limited rights.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

The jury seems to be split on whether the "GN Swords" things are going to turn out to be separate ships in their own right, or are just there for the sake of stapling random glowy bits all over everything.

No no no. It makes it fly faster.

Well, Robotech WAS on Hulu about 18-24 months ago, before they took it down along with the ADV Macross dub. The way I heard it (from one of the Speaker PodCast guys.... I think....) it was because Lionsgate was going to do something. Which they are... just not on Blu-Ray. 18 months later.

And Robotech is doomed not just because of Harmony Gold but because the day for anime has long passed. Mecha is a niche within a niche and quite frankly I'm still amazed we got a full dub of Gundam Unicorn and that there's been enough support for Vertical's Origin release to go all 10 volumes.

Live action movie..

haha that's funny. Last time I checked, having the animation rights only, means you can't use the designs from the animation in any other format.

So a live action Robotech would have zero elements to the Macross saga including the SDF-1. What would be the F***ing point?

Live action Shadow Chronicles? please, burning money would be more profitable.

On top of the shenanigans, I have hear recently the rumor that HG sent BBTS a C&D for selling the Bandai Macross releases

saying that it's "Illegally bootlegged macross" product. Hence why those YF-29 Preorders never got fulfilled. Talk about one hell of a stupidly ran company. Why would you stop anything that could possibly give more range in terms of getting fans.

Instead of Ceasing everything in existence, all they had to do was throw a big stick on the box saying "check out RT.com for more Macross". The Level of incompetence in that business is just staggering.

Edited by skullmilitia

On top of the shenanigans, I have hear recently the rumor that HG sent BBTS a C&D for selling the Bandai Macross releases

saying that it's "Illegally bootlegged macross" product. Hence why those YF-19 Preorders never got fulfilled. Talk about one hell of a stupidly ran company. Why would you stop anything that could possibly give more range in terms of getting fans.

That's an old piece of news, but it's no rumor. I once ordered my merchandise through BigBadToyStore and when they were no longer carrying Macross toys, I wrote to them about it. They told me explicity that they were threatened with legal action by a "an American company" for selling Macross merchandise. It was clear who they were talking about, but being careful not to mention names or spread rumors. The only currency I'd ever give Harmony Gold are the ashes from a burning dollar bill used to set their company offices alight.

As a fan of Macross who wasn't even born when Robotech was airing, seeing all these Robotech fans cling onto their dead franchise is just sad. Why can't they just accept that their old 80s cartoon is done and move on? Nothing Harmony Gold produces will manage to capture that same magic they felt when they first watched Robotech and even if Harmony Gold tried to "robotech" a Macross series, the fans still wouldn't like it because it's "too anime". I'm sorry if I offend any Robotech fans on this board, but I have no connection to that series so I would be completely fine if it just died completely. I have no interest in a chopped up westernized anime especially one that was "produced" by a company that mooches off another company's hard work and talent. Harmony Gold should just die already.

As a fan of Macross who wasn't even born when Robotech was airing, seeing all these Robotech fans cling onto their dead franchise is just sad. Why can't they just accept that their old 80s cartoon is done and move on? Nothing Harmony Gold produces will manage to capture that same magic they felt when they first watched Robotech and even if Harmony Gold tried to "robotech" a Macross series, the fans still wouldn't like it because it's "too anime". I'm sorry if I offend any Robotech fans on this board, but I have no connection to that series so I would be completely fine if it just died completely. I have no interest in a chopped up westernized anime especially one that was "produced" by a company that mooches off another company's hard work and talent. Harmony Gold should just die already.

Not sure what the point of your post was as of course someone who has not watched, grown up, or has any connection to a series would not care about it. The same argument you are making could made for any of the following: GI JOe, Masters of the Universe, transformers, thunder cats, tmnt, etc. Yet many of those have had resurgence recently. Just like many of them, Robotech has hung around in various forms for quite a while now - in fact, it only really died when HG started working on shadow Chronicles. The same could be said for these other shows. In fact, many of them stole ideas from other franchises - GI Joe= shield, Transformers=Diaclone. To your point, Starblazers - another westernized anime - has been rebooted and continued numerous times, even via a live action movie (albeit by the original Japanese company, not a westernized version). Robotech could follow their lead - if HG could simply move forward.

Probably Apples & Oranges here, but if go to YouTube and various discussion boards for Battlestar Galactica, the feuds between fans of the new series and the 1979 version can be down right nasty at times, especially those who will try to defend Galactica 1980. Some people simply can't let go of their opinion and accept somethings just aren't what they used to be or ever was.

I used to run home from school when I was in 4th & 5th grade to see RT on TV, not mention record it on my VCR, This really was my first exposure to Anime so I thank HG for that, but then I got smart and went to Comic book shops (like Golden Apple) and cons to find more Anime related items as well Little Tokyo and discovered there was a big world out there and numerous titles to choose from.

So after 30 years I can't see what RT fans are hoping for, enjoy what was and move on to better series! (There's lots to choose from)

Transformers didn't steal anything from Diaclone; it literally is Diaclone (which existed solely as a toyline). As far as GI Joe stealing from SHIELD, well, the Marvel GI Joe comic established the modern mythos of the brand, and Marvel co-produced the cartoon series.

Edited by Duke Togo

Transformers didn't steal anything from Diaclone; it literally is Diaclone (which existed solely as a toyline). As far as GI Joe stealing from SHIELD, well, the Marvel GI Joe comic established the modern mythos of the brand, and Marvel co-produced the cartoon series.

Well what happened is that Larry Hama was trying to do a Shield comic at Marvel at the time. They felt it would not sell as well as regular super hero stuff. Hasbro came to them with G.I. Joe toys and Larry Hama's editor called him up and told him to take his concept but tweak it for these toys. That is how the G.I. Joe of the 1980's came to be.

Sorry to derail us here but had to clarify.

> especially those who will try to defend Galactica 1980

I think doing that is proof on insanity in most of the civilized world.

Can't believe this has made it to 41 pages so far...

Well, 30 of those are probably Seto, so it's actually not that bad

8 days to go... I'm gonna miss this thread :(

(And the popcorn)

Yup... most likely going to get locked shortly after!

Make it happen HG! lol. We need it to happen for all the wrong reasons!