Robotech Academy - You want a new Robotech series...?

Kaneda, a thread like this over on RT.com would never last 2 pages before the Mods strangled it in its crib and banned half the forum for participating.

Edited by Deadeye_281

Is this thread longer, or comprised of more comments than any over on RT.com or on the Kick-Starter page? I mean for a fairly large group of folks to be, let's say "ambivalent" at best about a subject it sure does get discussed...a LOT.

For us, this is light amusement or like reading a newly published Darwin award.

The Robotech fans on Robotech.com have to be careful what they say or the Harmony Gold Commissars will execute their forum accounts for heresy and sedition, and the Kickstarter backers are desperately trying to find the silver lining in a mushroom cloud. (You won't really find a silver lining there, plenty of iridium and strontium-90 though!)

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Guest davidwhangchoi

since it won't hit a half mil. let's lower the expectations, let me ask this: there's about 9 days to go and they raised about 1k today.. they're at about 189,000

do you guys think they'll hit 200,000 with 9 days to go?

Edited by davidwhangchoi

since it won't hit a half mil. let's lower the expectations, let me ask this: there's about 9 days to go and they raised about 1k today.. they're at about 189,000

do you guys think they'll hit 200,000 with 9 days to go?

They're averaging a little over $1,000 a day, so I think that's a reasonably safe bet... I wouldn't expect them to get much farther than $200,000 though.

EXO, regarding your question a couple a pages ago, I don't really know. Somehow, I think South America will factor into whatever happens after the KS.

Kaneda, a thread like this would never last 2 pages before the Mods strangled it in its crib and banned half the forum for participating.

Especially if people saw how the first post looked like when it all started.

10516602_927149680644790_282083603476376

WOW, SPLIT CONFIGURATION!!!!! THE SHIP SPLITS IN HALF!!!!!! WOOOOOOWWWWWWWW!!! THATS MUCH BETTER THAN THE ABILITY TO TRANSFORM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"What do we do?"

"Tell you what... you go that way, and I'll go this way!"

"Wait... Can this ship do that?"

[stares into eyes]

"It's gonna have to!"

Tan tatan! TanaNana! (<-- Robotech theme)

"What do we do?"

"Tell you what... you go that way, and I'll go this way!"

"Wait... Can this ship do that?"

[stares into eyes]

"It's gonna have to!"

Tan tatan! TanaNana! (<-- Robotech theme)

"And when we explode we will make TWO beautiful explosions instead of one!!!"

I can now officially say that I design better ships in Space Engineers.

And my ships are CRAP!!

10394781_10204232803850172_8856025793593

Maybe I should send HG my resume to be one of their ship designers, LOL!!
10445475_10204356713667840_1050958244518

Edited by taksraven

Given the amount of out-of-work animators, concept staff, actors and production staff, HG should remove their current 'creatives', hire a few actual producers, maybe a director, and exploit as many desperate experienced writers and production staff with their own equipment as they can. Promising them a cut of the profits... There's even a good chance of being able to work on that up-coming Hollywood live action movie! After all, Robotech is a big-name brand, playing to a packed room at yearly Comic Cons etc... ;)

Mwuh-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha... (<- evil executive laugh).

I hope that this failure has HG drop the team completely and Maybe Frank walks away from even using Robotech.

Eventually ignoring the license renewal.

Which leads to a different question all together..

Dues Tats have the ability to renew HG's license after the lawsuit with BW?

The only "Clean Slate" at this point is something I've been arguing for a long time, a reboot, franchise and all. Their own designs, story, etc. No more dealing with other people's IP. Jeebus, they're already designing stuff for this KS project. How bloody hard would it be to create a new VF-1? There are plenty of other fighter jets out there to follow. And unless something dramatic happens, it won't happen. And they'll forever be in this wash-rince-repeat cycle.

This Kickstarter doesn't look like it's going to happen through donors. Tommy said they'll try other means. Well, if donor response, most of their own fans, was tepid at best, what do they think the response will be elsewhere?

Yeah a battleship splitting in half is pretty dumb. So what are the GN buster swords on the back for?

I see cone things on the back again of the lower half. GN Drives seem to be all the rage. And the pods on the side, from the back side, remind me of the Volga-class from Gundam 00 the Movie -A wakening of the Trailblazer-. And yeah, the GN Buster Swords aren't helping the look either.

They don't have the talent to put together even a decent reboot. You can't go from something classic like the VF-1 to the shite they are developing now. Reboots aren't supposed to be a step backward (though, we know how often that works out, and those projects have a lot more funding behind them).

They need to dump the creative staff, drop the message board, and focus on merchandising and licensing what they own. If they can show a healthy fan interest in Robotech merchandise, they may actually get that movie made (Hahaha, ok, maybe not).

Edited by Duke Togo

They don't have the talent to put together even a decent reboot.

Hence "all". Reboot the team, the franchise, the whole caboodle.

So at ~9 days left, are we ready to make bets on the final donor amount? Incentives for the one who comes closest? Let's start a Kickstarter project!

They don't have the talent to put together even a decent reboot. You can't go from something classic like the VF-1 to the shite they are developing now. Reboots aren't supposed to be a step backward (though, we know how often that works out, and those projects have a lot more funding behind them).

They need to dump the creative staff, drop the message board, and focus on merchandising and licensing what they own. If they can show a healthy fan interest in Robotech merchandise, they may actually get that movie made (Hahaha, ok, maybe not).

I agree here, essentially get a more compentent company to produce good

Toys and collectibles with all the original Robotech characters, heavily staying in the Macross saga.

You'll pull in both sets of fans. If I got a Bandai reissue that says Rick Hunter instead of Hikaru, I won't give

A crap. Just make something that's not a complete piece of crap!!!

Honestly, good collectibles would be a gold mine for HG, if they just stopped trying to reinvent the wheel, and embraced the old stories. Both fan groups would be happy. A VF-1J will look the same wether the box says Rick or Hikaru.

Edited by skullmilitia

300,000 in 9 days? Have the delusionals started writing Toby Mcguire to front the rest yet?

Pretty good observation. You would think if there was one person seriously cashed up who should chip in to this then it should be him. But it ain't gonna happen.

I really wonder what the big boss Frank Agrama in HG thinks about this? If he wouldn't back the Robotech Academy project with his own coin and now the kickstarter fails...

I just don't see any serious monetary value in Robotech anymore. You cannot keep living of nostalgia and they cannot develop anything new of consequence. There's more money in real estate anyway.

They haven't even started milking blu-ray box sets have they?

I'm by no means an expert, but I believe that in order to make those they would need to get a hold of the original material that Big West used to make their gorgeous SDFM release in BD. So there's no milking to be done there.

Yeah a battleship splitting in half is pretty dumb. So what are the GN buster swords on the back for?

For Trans-Am mode, of course... honestly, you guys and your silly questions.

Hence "all". Reboot the team, the franchise, the whole caboodle.

So at ~9 days left, are we ready to make bets on the final donor amount? Incentives for the one who comes closest? Let's start a Kickstarter project!

But that runs into the problems I've alluded to before... nobody wants to join the crew of the Titanic after it's already struck the iceberg.

Harmony Gold couldn't draw a decent staff when they were launching their last reboot, and their reputation is FAR worse today than it was back in 2000. Arguably, they haven't been able to draw a decent staff since they fired the decent staff Tatsunoko's side supplied for Robotech II: the Sentinels. The not-so-good ship Robotech ran headlong into that particular iceberg with the late Captain Macek at the helm, and the owners replaced him with Captain Yune in the hopes of keeping her afloat, but it looks like he's managed to make sinking a foregone conclusion instead by running her into a second iceberg. What kind of madman would want to assume captaincy of a ship for which sinking is a already foregone conclusion and no rescue is in sight? All the ship's owners can do is tell the band (Kevin) to keep playing so the passengers don't panic.

The way things are now, if they let Tommy Yune, Steve Yun, and Kevin McKeever go, they're not going to be able to draw in a replacement staff that has even their meager level of talent. They've so thoroughly poisoned the well that they can't even beg half a mil for legitimate production expenses from their own bosses, let alone the fans. Anyone willing to sign onto a "new and improved" Robotech staff would be someone with even less credentials and experience than the already questionable skillset Harmony Gold's staff has. You'd end up with some guy who makes high schoolers on DeviantArt look like old pros.

They haven't even started milking blu-ray box sets have they?

I don't think they have the cash or the connections to do an HD remaster... the original remastered edition was something they did while riding high on the sales of the first two box sets and the original Macross-based MPCs.

Eventually HG is going to get outpaced by technology, so if the end doesn't come soon, it will eventually.

Of course that's actually using logic. I could see HG putting out VHS tape collections when everyone else has moved on to DVD.

I don't know. I think HG blew its reboot opportunity with The Shadow Chronicles. That show should have been the pilot of an OVA miniseries of at least three parts, if not more. Instead fans got empty promises and countless DVD boxsets, which is a real shame. And since HG is unable or unwilling to license the Blu-ray masters a new release will just be the same old, same old.

A better Kickstarter would have been to sweeten the deal for Big West and try to get a license for the HD version of Macross. I guess fans will have to wait and see if someone like Robert Woodhead will take up the cause again.

Robotech/Gundam Academy falls too far into the uncanny valley for me, and I say that as someone who enjoys both Macross and Gundam.

Edited by technoblue

I swear they're making this up as they go along.

Thats how I see it, everything from that Drone-Transformer design, this cruiser with DYRL cannons attached and a kid named Wally, HG is the "lump of coal" standard (Instead of Gold standard) of creativity and professionalism.

I know that hindsight is 20/20 but I would had all these designs (Mecha & Characters) and story nailed down and finalized, plastered my site & the web with a big announcement that it would be at the SDCC, then announce the New show & KS and let it go from there, plus answer any questions people had to assure them, "Yes, we're serious about this".

Instead they did the opposite, and pulling out the "Do it for Carl" was the final bullet for this thing.

I'd like to see how HG spins all this negative PR into a positive during their next panel.

It's gonna be a laughfest. Do they even have a Plan-B?