Robotech Academy - You want a new Robotech series...?

Exactly what it says on the tin... it was a remastered edition of Robotech with cleaned-up video, audio remixed to 5.1 surround and with new sound effects, and "never-before-seen" footage that was really just the footage that'd been cut from Macross, Southern Cross, and MOSPEADA due to 1980s broadcast standards.

The Robotech purists hated it... because it dared to mess with "Carl's vision". Quite a few of them said that it wasn't even really Robotech anymore because of the changes. Everybody's least favorite podcaster dougbendo even accused Tommy and all the Robotech fans who bought it of being pedophiles because of the content of the "deleted scenes".

To sort of defend the RT fans back when the remastered version was announced (I can't believe I'm doing that :wacko: ), I remember one of the reasons the fans freaked out back in 2003 was that when the very first (non-remastered) 2001 sets were announced, the fans did ask why we weren't getting a remastered version then. The answer was that the masters that those sets were sourced from were already very old. To create a new remastered version would require a new transfer from HG's 16mm prints that Tatsunoko provided as part of their licensing of the 3 shows and essentially reassemble the show. HG were quite clear that this was supposed to be impossible as their edit logs they used to assemble RT could no longer be found.

After Animeigo remastered SDF Macross and ADV remastered Southern Cross & Mospeada, HG suddenly annouced that they had found their edit logs and were going to do exaclty what they had said was impossible 2 years previously. HG announced that they would assemble a new version of RT using the remastered footage by making a new edit log. This is after the fans had already spent a lot of money on the original ADV release of RT.

So, way back then, even if HG were telling the truth about their edit logs, their sudden annoucement made me feel jipped. I can understand a bit why so many fans freaked out.

(Edited as my memory was a bit fuzzy, but google helped me out)

Edited by The Shade

What's people's thoughts on how HG should move from here (if the KS eventually doesn't get funded)? I don't think that another KS would work because, what would they do? Ask for less money? That would raise suspicion on where the rest of the money was going to go in the first place, or it would look like they were just trying to score the almost 200k pledged and then deliver on what would be a guaranteed less than crappy production that no one would surely buy. Would they try to produce it on their own? Again... how? If they couldn't do that from the beginning. Are they stuck forever in comic book form and is that enough for them or for their fans?

If I was in charge:

Get rid of the marketing manager(s) There was a lot of questions by backers and potential backers that just went unanswered. If I'm paying you to market my products, you better believe that customer relations play a huge role.

Re evaluate what the creative team has done. The team didn't do much in "creating" new designs. Seems they had no idea of hat to do so they stepped real close to infringing some copywritted material.

Continue with the comics that are already in production (Voltron crossover) But stop any new project from being started.

If possible, have a heart to heart with people in Japan and apologize (if need be) for the mess that was generated. See about rewriting the contracts to where both sides would be pleased and HG could continue a story line using original IP.

Stop teasing fans, stop silencing their voice of malcontent, begin to make amends with them all.

Find tried and true artists to become consultants. This "get along gang" known as HG isn't working.

If I was in charge:

Get rid of the marketing manager(s) There was a lot of questions by backers and potential backers that just went unanswered. If I'm paying you to market my products, you better believe that customer relations play a huge role.

Re evaluate what the creative team has done. The team didn't do much in "creating" new designs. Seems they had no idea of hat to do so they stepped real close to infringing some copywritted material.

Continue with the comics that are already in production (Voltron crossover) But stop any new project from being started.

If possible, have a heart to heart with people in Japan and apologize (if need be) for the mess that was generated. See about rewriting the contracts to where both sides would be pleased and HG could continue a story line using original IP.

Stop teasing fans, stop silencing their voice of malcontent, begin to make amends with them all.

Find tried and true artists to become consultants. This "get along gang" known as HG isn't working.

In other words, a Clean Slate.

Guest davidwhangchoi

What's people's thoughts on how HG should move from here (if the KS eventually doesn't get funded)? I don't think that another KS would work because, what would they do? Ask for less money? That would raise suspicion on where the rest of the money was going to go in the first place, or it would look like they were just trying to score the almost 200k pledged and then deliver on what would be a guaranteed less than crappy production that no one would surely buy. Would they try to produce it on their own? Again... how? If they couldn't do that from the beginning. Are they stuck forever in comic book form and is that enough for them or for their fans?

I'll tell you what they are going to do:

"Guys, it was exciting to see so many fans come together to support Robotech, though we felt short of our goals because of the limited deadline and huge financial undertaking we took on as we tend to overdo it as perfectionists we are, we felt tremendous support and momentum from robotech fans all over the world." We're happy to announce that we're are going press on and go ahead and extend the campaign with a more flexible financial goal. we 're not here to cut corners but are listening to fans to bring you guys better rewards with less financial undertaking... to streamline the process faster and to begin working.

We want to continue this project as all of the actors, artists and especially you loyal fans have urged us to extend this campaign and not give up. we put up an initial goal of 250,000 and extended the deadline another 30 days to reach it and any financial contributions beyond will go into stretch goals of your choice.

this will get us started initially while giving you the power to back are more ambitious goals with flexibility." - HG Staff.

or they will just tank it. and spin the dvd's as the focus for the coming year and we will not give up on Carl's dream...

I meant more of where should this current administration should go... we all know what we would do.

I'll tell you what they are going to do:

"Guys, it was exciting to see so many fans come together to support Robotech, though we felt short of our goals because of the limited deadline and huge financial undertaking we took on as we tend to overdo it as perfectionists we are, we felt tremendous support and momentum from robotech fans all over the world." We're happy to announce that we're are going press on and go ahead and extend the campaign with a more flexible financial goal. we 're not here to cut corners but are listening to fans to bring you guys better rewards with less financial undertaking... to streamline the process faster and to begin working.

We want to continue this project as all of the actors, artists and especially you loyal fans have urged us to extend this campaign and not give up. we put up an initial goal of 250,000 and extended the deadline another 30 days to reach it and any financial contributions beyond will go into stretch goals of your choice.

this will get us started initially while giving you the power to back are more ambitious goals with flexibility." - HG Staff.

or they will just tank it. and spin the dvd's as the focus for the coming year and we will not give up on Carl's dream...

Does Kickstarter let you do that?

If I was in charge:

You're more likely to convince them of a mass suicide, I think.

I meant more of where should this current administration should go... we all know what we would do.

You can't change your KS goal or KS length. They'd have to put up a new KS.

And really, if they put up a new KS for half as much, their initial ask for 500k would seem shady as hell.

Edited by Duke Togo

Guest davidwhangchoi

no but you can contribute through paypal,

DFA and Wasteland 2 still accepted funding through paypal after it passed the deadline.

or start another.

if they put up a new KS for half as much, their initial ask for 500k would seem shady as hell.

yeah, but they can split the funds into half

first for the inital launch and if it goes past the other 250k into stretch goals of the fans choosing for the really ambitious (HG can spin the other 250k as what they originally intended to do out of high standards but want to leave a flexible model to leave it up to fans).

Yeah, but it still says, "oh hey, we didn't really need that much, so here's another number that is a hell of a lot less than what we were asking for. Nevermind why we asked for so much to begin with."

Edited by Duke Togo

Something you should never watch, the new & improved sounds effects are horrible and makes watching it annoying as all hell!

If your going to watch RT hopefully you still have the ADV sets.

I don't own any of the videos, Macross or Robotech.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Yeah, but it still says, "oh hey, we didn't really need that much, so here's another number that is a hell of a lot less than what we were asking for. Nevermind why we asked for so much to begin with."

yep! tbh, we all know that's the truth... it doesn't cost a half mil. they even mentioned they were going to use it as a war chest for further developments.

yep! tbh, we all know that's the truth... it doesn't cost a half mil. they even mentioned they were going to use it as a war chest for further developments.

And, of course, this is probably exactly what they'll do and say.

I don't think it's for developments. I think it secures their own salary for the duration of the project and hoping beyond. You just pad your check with extra titles on the production... lol.

Guest davidwhangchoi

I don't think it's for developments. I think it secures their own salary for the duration of the project and hoping beyond. You just pad your check with extra titles on the production... lol.

that's messed up! but it's probably true <_<:rolleyes:

by character, it's evident these guys don't to want to take any risks.

I hate the drone veritech not because it's a rip-off but because it looks like the drones of yesteryear. In the Macross universe they developed the Ghost. In the Robotech universe they just took old vehicles and made them transform "because they could" apparently. That said, in Macross they did apply that mentality to their capital ships... but I've never been all that keen on that concept either. Besides, Robotech already has the drones they should be using from the New Gen episode "the secret route" where we learn that Yellow's exgirlfriend is dating the devil.

I don't think there really is anything they could do to make Robotech legitimately popular. Macross is really the only part of the show that people care about, and there's nothing meaningful they can do with it for legal reasons. Even if they fired everyone who currently works for them on Robotech and hired people who legitimately know what they're doing, what would they have to work with? Two obscure, dated shows from the 80's that are barely popular with the existing fans, let alone something that could ever draw in new viewers? The crap from sentinels that was already stupid back in the 80's? by the time you strip away all the stuff they can't use or they shouldn't use you're left with nothing but the thinnest shell of a premise for a show and a goofy sounding name from the 80's.

He's responding to my comment a few posts up. I didn't "wish" mass suicide on anyone, however.

Oh, ok.

I don't think there really is anything they could do to make Robotech legitimately popular. Macross is really the only part of the show that people care about, and there's nothing meaningful they can do with it for legal reasons. Even if they fired everyone who currently works for them on Robotech and hired people who legitimately know what they're doing, what would they have to work with? Two obscure, dated shows from the 80's that are barely popular with the existing fans, let alone something that could ever draw in new viewers? The crap from sentinels that was already stupid back in the 80's? by the time you strip away all the stuff they can't use or they shouldn't use you're left with nothing but the thinnest shell of a premise for a show and a goofy sounding name from the 80's.

Licensing. I'm also of the opinion that co-producing a real MOSPEADA sequel in Japan (with the intention to later adapt it to close out Robotech) is their best shot at doing anything. They don't possess the creative talent or experience to produce an a quality anime series on their own. They need to help finance a production and then later try to work on adapting it--assuming they could get anyone to bite on that (which is questionable at best).

Edited by Duke Togo

It's true, whenever I propose plot lines to reboot Robotech, it's essentially a different show. If they were going to create something new they might as well just make something entirely new and advertise the hell out of it on Robotech.com and on future DVD releases. They could throw in some fun references for Robotech fans (like the valkyrie crates in Orguss).

Licensing. I'm also of the opinion that co-producing a real MOSPEADA sequel in Japan (with the intention to later adapt it to close out Robotech) is their best shot at doing anything. They don't possess the creative talent or experience to produce an a quality anime series on their own. They need to help finance a production and then later try to work on adapting it--assuming they could get anyone to bite on that (which is questionable at best).

What would a sequel to Mospeada even look like, though?

What would a sequel to Mospeada even look like, though?

Dunno, a lot of time has passed. My point was I really don't see them as having any other options (and the MOSPEADA one isn't even what I'd call a "real" option).

First, among Robotch fans, there are a lot of fans of mospeada/new generation. Macross is not the end all for them. It just happens to be the loose end - what happened to Rick Hunter and co. The Sentinels wasn't bad in concept, but the idea of planet hopping was just a means of dragging out the story for syndication. Some of the ideas - confronting the Masters before they came and realizing that they were not only too late, but left their children and Earth wide open to attack, confronting the Regent to prevent further invasions, the civil war from Edwards - were great. Not much in terms of mecha was unique, as it all borrowed from all 3 shows.

Second, few cartoons are popular among kids these days. We live in a different world where kids have so many options that few kids shows gain traction for long. Most shows that are created with nostalgia in mind have not done well recently, particularly with kids.

Probably the best route for Robotech was OVAs or a Netflix exclusive.

I suppose they could completely redo the Masters portion of the show. Since nobody seems to like Southern Cross anyway they could completely redo it and as long as the Earth gets trashed in the end nobody would really care.

EXO, expect them to pick whatever option makes them look the shittiest. It's the blind leading the blind over there.

Sadly enough, this is actually right... in the sure-thing event that the Robotech Academy Kickstarter fails, expect Harmony Gold to take the worst possible course of action. They'll point fingers and make a lot of noise about how tragic it is that the last project of Carl Macek himself had its infinite potential wasted by the nay-sayers and those evil Macross purists, they'll find someone directly connected to the project to blame for the mess (probably Creavision), and then they'll package those godawful trailers they made as DVD extras in the next Robotech DVD release and pretend it's something the fans outright demanded.

Wait five years, and they'll trot out another direct-to-video abortion and have their forum moderators call all the fans who call it a piece of crap evil, baby-eating, puppy-kicking, Commu-Nazi lizardman Macross purists.

They should go back to flipping low rent commercial real-estate. Also, they could sell Macross toys, models, and DVDs. They own the liscence and the media is already developed. This is a no brainer. RT is dead.

You'd be surprised how many no-brainers people with no brains fail to pick up on...

For whatever insane reason, Harmony Gold seems damnably determined to continue plowing ahead with Robotech even though there's pretty much no business case for keeping it around anymore. Whether that's because there's nobody in management at Harmony Gold paying attention to the Robotech division's timecards, or the inmates running that asylum are presenting a heavily distorted version of the facts to management, nobody can say... except maybe Tom, though things weren't this dire when he was working there.

I suppose they could completely redo the Masters portion of the show. Since nobody seems to like Southern Cross anyway they could completely redo it and as long as the Earth gets trashed in the end nobody would really care.

As much as Robotech fans carp about even the most insignificant changes to the "original 85"? Not bloody likely.

You know, I loved Robotech for the Macross chapter back in the day. I didn't like the follow-on chapters so much but Macross was awesome. But man, 1986 was a long friggin time ago and Harmony Gold has essentially done nothing with the license since. Nothing effective or enduring that is. They launched The Sentinels, which tanked and was never finished. They launched The Shadow Chronicles years later which also tanked and was never finished. I appreciate Carl Macek's efforts to bring Anime to North America via Robotech and all that but that was a lifetime ago. I can't believe and or understand how anyone would want to back a Harmony Gold Kickstarter for yet another Robotech series that will more than likely just crash and burn, hard on the tarmac, flaps down in flames like its predecessors.

Robotech died a long time ago. It's creators simply haven't come to terms with that quite yet. Judging from the poor KS results however, the Robotech "fandom" certainly has. Might be time to sum up and call it a career HG and let the Macross license go. Maybe then, just maybe, Big West could offer more to their Western fans.

Is this thread longer, or comprised of more comments than any over on RT.com or on the Kick-Starter page? I mean for a fairly large group of folks to be, let's say "ambivalent" at best about a subject it sure does get discussed...a LOT.

Just boggles the mind that this is 39 pages long and literally every time I come into the Sci-Fi section there's another new comment (to which I'm now most immediately responsible for). :blink:

-b.