Robotech Academy - You want a new Robotech series...?

What is that? I don't get the joke.

That, my friend, is a male Karbarran.

Keeping it short and sweet, the Karbarrans were one of several new alien races created by Carl Macek for the failed Robotech II: the Sentinels project in the 80's. Yes, the name IS a pun on the Care Bears. Yes, all of the new alien designs for Sentinels were that awful, and were all pretty generic alien tropes... your rock alien, your planet-of-the-amazons alien, your conehead alien, and the obligatory sentient robot and anthropomorphic aliens (bears and wolves).

That particular torrent of foulness is Karbarran ambassador L'ron... who is, yes, named for L. Ron Hubbard (gag choke puke).

Tommy Yune redesigned L'ron and the other Sentinels ambassadors for their brief cameo in Robotech: Prelude to the Shadow Chronicles, so now he just looks like a bear standing erect and with human-like hands.

Those Sentinels aliens were all pretty stupid, honestly... so it's no wonder Tommy doesn't seem to want to revisit them if he can get away with it. He salvaged the Haydonites (robot people) to be the antagonists in Shadow Chronicles, probably because they were also your obligatory "secretive alien" bunch and also the least offensively cliche of the lot.

That is Robotech canon.

Not since 2006, anyway...

skystalker2.jpgUntitled-TrueColor-01.jpg

hmmmm......

looks really similar to the stealth drone the military uses.

Dude... I think you ate enough already...

pochoclo_web.jpg

I dunno about you guys but I'm havin' a ball watching some of the comments over on Facebook. Apparently this is all the fault of the Gee-Wunners, er, I mean Macross purist trolls. I love how it's so defined; MACROSS purists, not anime purists. Is there any more popcorn left?

Also, a VERY small part of me is interested in these DVDs they say they'll be putting out.... but the vast majority of me doesn't want to reward HG's bad behavior. :D

I just woke up from a coma induced popcorn frenzy! Hahahaha. I'm sure that there are still a lot of it to go around. :lol:

YOU SAID IT BAY-BEEEEEEE!!!!!!! HA HAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!

karbarran-male.gif

Is that "grumpy bear" or "laugh-a-lot Bear?" a care bear on 'roids!

Check out the fun of the other "alien" races that were going to be introduced into the Sentinels here.

Strange, I just realized that for all the talk about Academy happening around the time of the Sentinels, no one's even talked about them. Everyone's focus has been on human characters, the mecha, ships and the Children of Zor. Surely they're all coming back in one way or another if the KS is funded since that was also part of Carl's vision, right?

Edited by Einherjar

I just saw that you tube video. Stupid long if you ask me. So i skipped to minute 46 for the "reveal"

HOLY mother of God!!!! How can someone even walk through there. Dude, clean yer room if you're going to show the world where you stay. Wow! I'm blown away. I will be seeing him on cable a few years from now. In "Hoarders!"

Strange, I just realized that for all the talk about Academy happening around the time of the Sentinels, no one's even talked about them. Everyone's focus has been on human characters, the mecha, ships and the Children of Zor. Surely they're all coming back in one way or another if the KS is funded since that was also part of Carl's vision, right?

There aren't many Robotech fans who were all that fond of the Sentinels aliens... they had very little relevance to the plot in the old Sentinels comics, and their relatively generic-ness didn't endear them to many. The ones that seem to have been the most popular with the fans were the Garudans, wolf-people who were crazy mystics that lived on a planet where the air could get you high or (depending on the version) give you superpowers at the expense of killing you if you ever stopped breathing it. The old Palladium Books Robotech RPG did the most to sell those concepts to the fans.

Throwing the reduced number of Sentinels Council ambassadors into Prelude seems to have been enough to satisfy any desire the fans might've had for the return of those hokey aliens though... and they likely would have a reduced role now that Tommy's retconned in a very WH40K-ish "Don't trust the xenos!" mentality for the Expeditionary Forces.

I'll go on record and say I like Flaming Guantlet's version of the Children of Zor better.

I skipped thought the video, watched a total of about 8 minutes all up. Apparently HG's failure to launch a successful series since the original and send companies bankrupt while doing so is just "terrible luck". Harmony Gold are trying. They really are and it's people like YOU lot that are the reason that a great idea, produced by the fantastic company HG, led by the infallible Tommy Yune, will not succeed. You damn Internet trolls!

Because let's face it, it's a good thing the fans loved the Transformers LAMs and Michael Bay. Because without the blind, unwavering support of the fandom, not even a Kickstarter would have got those cinematic masterpieces Revenge of the Fallen and Dark of the Moon made!

But seriously, to live in conditions like that he obviously has a problem. Combined with the fact that he made a 48 minute video which is basically a fan-rage without the yelling, makes me feel sorry for him.

The video is bizarre. I applaud those of you who gave it time in an attempt to decipher the mess. I tried watching one of his Doctor Who reviews to see if he cut out the tangents and non sequitur for more coherent material...

Nope. Each one is approximately 40 minutes of nope.

Edited by technoblue

I like how he blamed that console gamer guy on the failure of the Kickstarter... I'm not sure he mentioned MW...

At around 47:56, during the hyper-fast text scroll:

"Go to Macrossworld.com and check out these asses running about literally conspiring to destroy this kickstarter.

How a group of grown can be this terrible is proposterous to me.

These guys are bullies, nothing more.

I dream of the day where I can like what I like

and what I like is allowed to exist without a bunch of voltures circling around and screaming."

Grammar mistakes, spelling mistakes, and general WTF'edness left untouched in my transcription.

He clearly hasn't read this thread. Hell, we have mods advocating that we contribute to the kickstarter. Outside of Seto (who, yes, knows his stuff even if I disagree with his point of view), there isn't a whole lot of animosity coming out of this thread, besides of some heckling of their story ideas and design concepts. HG dug themselves into this hole with no assistance from us whatsoever. I've said it before and I'll say it again: HG has no real impact on the international Macross fandom anymore. They're irrelevant to us.

So yeah, this guy lives in his own reality.

Edited by Duke Togo

"Go to Macrossworld.com and check out these asses running about literally conspiring to destroy this kickstarter.

and what I like is allowed to exist without a bunch of voltures circling around and screaming."

Grammar mistakes, spelling mistakes, and general WTF'edness left untouched in my transcription.

There's something really funny about a Harmony Gold fan calling other people bullies.

I skipped thought the video, watched a total of about 8 minutes all up. Apparently HG's failure to launch a successful series since the original and send companies bankrupt while doing so is just "terrible luck".

Yeah, that's a Robotech fan reciting the Harmony Gold company line about why they've yet to launch any kind of a successful or commercially viable continuation of Robotech. You boil it down, and with the sole exception of Robotech 3000, it comes down to "the stars were not right". Robotech 3000 stands apart, on the grounds that Macek himself actually a took a moment to admit its concept was a terrible idea that showed they were out of touch with the fans in the foreword of the Shadow Chronicles art book.

Harmony Gold are trying. They really are and it's people like YOU lot that are the reason that a great idea, produced by the fantastic company HG, led by the infallible Tommy Yune, will not succeed. You damn Internet trolls!

Some would say that Harmony Gold is very trying.

Still, I've heard... and been the subject of... crazier Robotech fan conspiracy theories. According to some of them, I have enough pull at Harmony Gold that I can have them arbitrarily kill off fan projects I don't like. According to others, I have no influence at all and manipulate Harmony Gold through falsified legal documents. The fun part is that both of those came from the same guy and were posted within a week of each other. I think he's still in two minds about how evil I am.

Kinda reminds you of the sort of "You don't understand me!" generic teenage angst you get from a kid who doesn't fit in... though if he's been to any of a wide variety of anime forums where fans have tried to pitch the Robotech Kickstarters, one can't blame him for feeling a tiny bit persecuted. I've seen a few where they all but started calling to tar and feather the well-meaning but very badly misguided Robotech fan.

Macrossworld just seems to be the favorite target for Robotech fans to project their persecution complex upon because it's high visibility, as websites go.

How many current HG employees have be banned here for trolling? What's the count at?

's MEMO, Mav, and banky so far, I think... though those first two are volunteer mods not actual employees.

What? If anything I've been hoping this will succeed.

He clearly hasn't read this thread. Hell, we have mods advocating that we contribute to the kickstarter. Outside of Seto (who, yes, knows his stuff even if I disagree with his point of view), there isn't a whole lot of animosity coming out of this thread, besides of some heckling of their story ideas and design concepts. HG dug themselves into this hole with no assistance from us whatsoever. I've said it before and I'll say it again: HG has no real impact on the international Macross fandom anymore. They're irrelevant to us.

So yeah, this guy lives in his own reality.

I don't advocate people that clearly know HG's track record to foolishly throw their money in, but I do encourage those who still have faith in them and approve of their quality to put as much money as they can to make it work. This is exactly in tune to the wishes of the guy in the video. I guess I'm just a bully that way.

's MEMO, Mav, and banky so far, I think... though those first two are volunteer mods not actual employees.

Dunno who Mav is but memo has never been banned. We don't ban anyone for using caps. Does anyone really believe that after 15 years that guy still hasn't upgraded to a computer that has the ability to turn off his caps lock if the keyboard alone can't do it? I think that Kev guy was banned as soon as the forums were active. I don't really remember him.

Dunno who Mav is but memo has never been banned. We don't ban anyone for using caps. Does anyone really believe that after 15 years that guy still hasn't upgraded to a computer that has the ability to turn off his caps lock if the keyboard alone can't do it? I think that Kev guy was banned as soon as the forums were active. I don't really remember him.

I know Maverick_LSC got banned for trolling... thought MEMO got banned at around the same time for the same offense. Kevin got canned for racist remarks, IIRC. I don't think either of the Yunes has made an effort to come over here, though Tommy is still a self-professed Macross fan, AFAIK.

"The Popcorn Conspiracy"

Guest davidwhangchoi

What? If anything I've been hoping this will succeed.

I don't advocate people that clearly know HG's track record to foolishly throw their money in, but I do encourage those who still have faith in them and approve of their quality to put as much money as they can to make it work. This is exactly in tune to the wishes of the guy in the video. I guess I'm just a bully that way.

lol "i don't really remember him"

I don't advocate people that clearly know HG's track record to foolishly throw their money in, but I do encourage those who still have faith in them and approve of their quality to put as much money as they can to make it work.

I can't tell people what to do with their money. That was one of the first things I said. I just offer information so that people can make an informed decision. If people want to donate to the Kickstarter project with my information, good for them. If not, good for them. Explain to me, how I'm a bully?

I can't tell people what to do with their money. That was one of the first things I said. I just offer information so that people can make an informed decision. If people want to donate to the Kickstarter project with my information, good for them. If not, good for them. Explain to me, how I'm a bully?

Because Macross Purist, obviously. :p

As the person who started the thread, if similar people like that guy wants an irrational scapegoat for a certain company's public failures, I'll volunteer to be their new lightning rod of hate. Just know, however, that Robotech has screwed A LOT of people besides us over the years. And that is not an exaggeration.

Edited by Einherjar

I find your avatar threatening, Az.

How can you hate on a near-extinct rodent who had to to deal with freakin' dinosaurs??? They had a rough life! :lol:

Just know, however, that Robotech has screwed A LOT of people besides us over the years. And that is not an exaggeration.

Yes, if we're a bunch of rabid bullies, what are the Tranformers/G.I. Joe-fans? Fascist dictators?

There aren't many Robotech fans who were all that fond of the Sentinels aliens... they had very little relevance to the plot in the old Sentinels comics, and their relatively generic-ness didn't endear them to many. The ones that seem to have been the most popular with the fans were the Garudans, wolf-people who were crazy mystics that lived on a planet where the air could get you high or (depending on the version) give you superpowers at the expense of killing you if you ever stopped breathing it. The old Palladium Books Robotech RPG did the most to sell those concepts to the fans.

Throwing the reduced number of Sentinels Council ambassadors into Prelude seems to have been enough to satisfy any desire the fans might've had for the return of those hokey aliens though... and they likely would have a reduced role now that Tommy's retconned in a very WH40K-ish "Don't trust the xenos!" mentality for the Expeditionary Forces.

I'll go on record and say I like Flaming Guantlet's version of the Children of Zor better.

Awwwww, come on. The Spheresians had a *lot* going for them 'cause they were just so.........round? Spheresians, geddit??

spheresian.gif

Ok Guys, the SDCC has finished, and the money for the Academy is $186,648. I don't believe they will get the rest of pledge in 11 days.

Another Robotech series what don't will see the sunlights^^

Sounds like a good chance for both a retcon and a compelling update to bring in more backers, possibly.

Edited by Einherjar