Robotech Academy - You want a new Robotech series...?

WAIT! There's an part 3 to StarshipTroopers?

Maybe they can made another where the meteor that crash in Buenos Aires was a alien starship and they rebuid it.... nah, just joking :D

Don't forget "slender man" and how he convinced all of us to "kill" a robotech purist or we would pay dearly for it. (all that through the power of the Internet)

leave Slendy out of this, there's no need to sully his good name by dragging him into this conversation,.

Hahaha. How I wish that Cesar would be allowed to finish his fan film. He did everything right, even put a disclaimer in the beginning.

I'm sure our Latin American brothers would support the Academy if it wasn't for that cease and desist letter.

Hahaha. How I wish that Cesar would be allowed to finish his fan film. He did everything right, even put a disclaimer in the beginning.

I'm sure our Latin American brothers would support the Academy if it wasn't for that cease and desist letter.

Eh... I like to think of Cesar's film as a martyr. The noble sacrifice of Cesar's film, coupled with the incredibly shameful behavior of Harmony Gold in the Robotech Academy Kickstarter, has finally opened the eyes of many Robotech fans to the fact that Harmony Gold is completely out of touch with its audience and is only really interested in using nostalgia to pocket-mine its gullible fans with false promises of a comeback.

With a little luck, Robotech Academy's Kickstarter will be the crash-and-burn failure that Kicktraq and SideKick say it will, and that will finally prove to them (and to Frank) that Robotech is not (and arguably never was) a viable property. The sooner they let go of the false hope that Robotech will someday continue the story and recreate the magic they felt back in the day, they sooner they can move on and find something that WILL.

Ethically, the Robotech Academy Kickstarter's not much different from selling rhino horn as a bogus cure for cancer... at the end of the day, the only thing on offer is false hope.

EDIT: This is actually turning out to be a slow day, even by the Kickstarter's low standards. Not even $900 yet, and it's 3pm at SDCC.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

lol, i was quoted.

Now akt_m on Macrossworld thinks I'm keeping Robotech fans "in denial" of something even though my latest posts are critical of them and refer to information in a pinned thread on Macrossworld. I have no idea what any of these people are talking about anymore. English as a second language might explain some but not all of it.

But Seina actually posted something that can make any hardcore Robotech fan angry.

This means that Harmony Gold does not own the Macross characters to include in Robotech II: The Sentinels unless it's some kind of merchandise like a book, comic, or game. Each thing that would be in it would have to have a new name and a new design so it doesn't infringe. So when they say "Rick Hunter" is back, they mean it. It's not going to be Hikaru Ichijo with the name Rick Hunter. It's their own made up character. Harmony Gold cannot animate the Sentinels you people are imagining, so stop asking.

This is exactly the subject that everyone inside Harmony Gold avoids to answer properly, why no more "Rick Hunter" the same way all the fans remember in "The Macross Saga"?

Edited by akt_m

Harmony Gold apparently felt it was necessary to remind the backers (for what has to be the fifth or sixth time) that Frank Agrama was acquitted by the Italian courts on charges of tax fraud.

You'd think that, at some point, they'd notice that the fact that he was acquitted matters very little in terms of the damage that it's doing to their cause. What matter is that there was enough evidence for the legendarily lazy and corrupt Italian courts to charge him at all... to say nothing of the fact that it somehow took nine years to clear his name (or bribe his way to acquittal). The public image of the company's chief executive matters to the company's reputation... and if your closest associates act like they aspire to a lifestyle somewhere between that of a Bond villian, a Captain Planet villain, and Hugh Hefner...

There isn't anything that would stop HG topping off the Kickstarter campaign themselves is there? Eg: If it gets to 350K and they throw in the last 150K themselves at the last minute... :unsure:

Or can they reduce the goal during the campaign?

I'm still hoping this will completely fail and leave HG's execs thinking it might be time to downsize the Robotech department*, and not renew the license if it costs more than it brings in... :ph34r:

*or hire someone good instead

Still failing to see what Agrama's legal staus has to do with this project. The question that should be asked regarding Agrama is why didn't he put up funding for this. There should be a flag waving since the boss didn't provide the majority of funding for this project. Maybe he's the one who threw in that $10,000.

I would love to see that happen... And Agrama will walk in and take his money back and let them make it with only half or 1/3 the money they said they needed. lol.

That will be worth all the popcorn!

All of a sudden I really am hoping that this KS gets funded so we have more to talk about till the new Macross series comes out, pass that popcorn!

Same here, this discussion just gets more & more entertaining, plus a good excuse for more Popcorn! B))

post-6180-0-02084700-1406245461.jpg

Didn't another Kickstarter recently get shut down for similar last-minute antics?

Here it is: Areal.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1577656602/areal?ref=discovery

I don't know man... those news articles basicly said that Agrama and the former Italian Prime Minister ran a global scam for decades then were aquitted of all charges... if they were involved in that then scamming a small funding site wouldn't be a problem... lol.

The views and opinions expressed on this web site are soley those of the posters and other contributors. These views and opinions do not necessarily represent those of Macrossworld.com or the macrossworld staff, and/or any/all contributors to this site.

:D

Still failing to see what Agrama's legal staus has to do with this project. The question that should be asked regarding Agrama is why didn't he put up funding for this. There should be a flag waving since the boss didn't provide the majority of funding for this project. Maybe he's the one who threw in that $10,000.

Y'gotta remember, az, that the perceived situation is just as important to selling a product as the reality is. That's marketing in a nutshell. In a purely objective sense, it doesn't matter a damn whether Agrama was guilty or innocent... but the subjective views that backers and prospective backers take of the situation can have a dramatic effect on whether they contribute and how much they contribute. The behavior of the chief executive reflects upon the company he heads, after all. People are going to be a lot less interested in backing a project by a company whose owner has the reputation of being a sleazy scumbag who's got himself caught in shady dealings involving large amounts of money, regardless of whether that reputation is actually merited.

So, yes, with Harmony Gold's reputation already in the toilet and Frank's badly in question, they NEED to reaffirm to the backers that the man at the top isn't tax-evading crook that everyone has had legitimate cause to think he is for the last nine years.

You wouldn't, for instance, hire an accountant whose resume listed his last held position as CFO for Enron... regardless of whether or not he was involved in their book-cooking scandal. It's a game of perceptions, not facts, on that front.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Get yer popcorn ready!

This kickstarter was funded and the film was made. All for what HG has backed already!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1094772583/the-canyons

Ummm...

Pope, Ellis and Schrader are partly financing the film themselves through Pope’s new company Sodium Fox in order to maintain complete creative control of the distinct source material.

There is a slight difference in throwing in your own money and then asking for additional help as opposed to "Give us money!!!".

Rik Hunter is not back yet... not unless they make the 300k+... lol.

RINO Hunter, and for just a cameo.

Also, remember that there still is the Voltron crossover thread and that Dynamite Comics has more plans for the franchise after that finishes. You could always repurpose that thread if this fails. Heck, that venture and Academy might be linked in a cross promotional thing after tonight.

Edited by Einherjar

At the panel now... about to start and pretty empty.

Business as usual, lol.

That's not a good sign...

But not an unexpected turn of events either... Harmony Gold usually crops their "crowd shots" to make it look like they've got a full hall when, in reality, they only have a few rows full at best.

Cesar is here, now watching Greg snegoff's new show seven seas. Should I live blog this here?

Please do.

If you live blog, this will be the only place it happens... I checked out RT.com and RTx.com for the first time in years... I don't think anyone has posted in those places in months.

$180,608 currently...

$1324 for the day...

Lionsgate is doing a classic DVD featuring the original audio and the original macross series included. The bass and applause from Sharknado 2 keeps overwhelming the conversation. First Carl name drop and rt Academy. Children of Zor are last remnants of rt masters.

Tommy claims Carl was secretive about rt Academy, nobody knew he was working on it.