Robotech Academy - You want a new Robotech series...?

It's worth remembering that Harmony Gold sets a much lower bound for "successful" than the industry normally does... so what THEY consider to be doing well enough for a sequel is, in all likelihood, what a more competent company would consider a bad situation.

Regardless of what they see as successful, if they had money to fund another 45/60-minute episode, then had boxsets later on, why turn to Kickstarter for funding? Where did that money go all this time? If I was donating money, that would be something I would ask.

The way Yune co-opts "Shut up and take my money" for his this RA kickstarter is enough to put off my next meal :)

Perhaps some will, but Tom's post hasn't evoked the type of rabid response from Robotech fans we've seen in years past. Maybe I just haven't see it yet. Or perhaps Seto is right; even a lot of Robotech fans - at least those a part of the involved online community - have a much different attitude towards Harmony Gold today. Maybe Shadow Chronicles really did do a lot more damage than we suspected.

No, I was referring to a few that like to come out of the woodwork when comments are made here. It's already been awakened. It does seem that a large portion of those supporting the project are mainly in the U.S., despite having a larger fan base in Central/South America. I think that's the problem there. It also doesn't help that all these years, they couldn't handle criticism, and just banned people that didn't follow their gospel. Add those, along with countless people who would back them if HG wasn't so aggressive in keeping the copyright to the name Macross all over the world and blocking Macross, and you have a lot of pissed off people in one form or another. I read some of the posts today on the KS page, and it's funny that the delusional fans think that there's only a "few" fans that aren' happy with the franchise. This seems to be a big reality check.

And in the Immortal words of Arnold Schwarzenegger...

You got the bug, pass it on. LOL B))

So the big reveal at comicon is that the children of zor are fairy lemurs, eh?

Yeah, it's hard to believe these things are supposed to be antagonists now... there are more menacing-looking Beanie Babies.

Yeah, it's hard to believe these things are supposed to be antagonists now... there are more menacing-looking Beanie Babies.

To play devil's advocate here, tribbles can be trouble, and fairy monkies have been known to follow wicked witches that live in the land of Oz.

On a side note, I did see the Lindsay character and geez, is it just me, or does this character look a lot like Korra from the Nickelodeon show Legend of Korra?

Holy cow, is what "dawn of the planet of the apes" is all about?

Really? These space monkeys will attack a bunch of kids.

Ok, I'm sure that the original characters from sentinels will not be used. They will come up with more humanoid characters. I hope.

To play devil's advocate here, tribbles can be trouble, and fairy monkies have been known to follow wicked witches that live in the land of Oz.

I dunno, tribbles were always pretty passive trouble... and the flying monkeys were a good deal bigger. That thing puts me more in the mind of something that might've been exotic background fauna in something like Dunbine or Escaflowne, or at least on the cover of some progressive rock band's album.

That's not to say it wouldn't be a real hoot if those adorable little things have been picking on the Robotech Masters... that'd be one step worse, humiliation-wise, than the Galactic Empire losing out to the frigging Ewoks. :lol:

Yune's interview intimates that the children of Zor will be leftover Masters... I wouldn't expect winged lemurs.

They will ve evolve these lemurs into Vajras^^

Edited by Old_Nash

Yune's interview intimates that the children of Zor will be leftover Masters... I wouldn't expect winged lemurs.

Maybe, maybe not... or perhaps the winged fairy lemurs will be something important to them the way the original Sentinels had that Tirolian scientist obsessing over miniature purple shih tzus.

If this is suppose to take place during the Sentinels universe why do they have new uniforms and new mecha designs? Shouldn't they be using the old ones? It is set in the Sentinels universe but it will not be the Sentinels? Why not just have it take place 20 years after the 3rd Robotech War and have it all be about something in the Robotech saga that is entirely new?

Sentinels was being developed with Matchbox as a toy sponser.

I would wonder if the reason they don't want to use those mechanical designs, aside from being very outdated 80's designs, is that the agreement with Matchbox (now Mattel) might not still be valid.

In that case, it would be better for HG to go with all new designs that they would own and license with as they please.

Guest davidwhangchoi

The way Yune co-opts "Shut up and take my money" for his this RA kickstarter is enough to put off my next meal :)

+2

Children of Zor, eh? Don't want to know how that happened!

I... kinda do. It must have been one truly hilarious, sleep-deprived, 3:00 AM brainstorming session that led to someone on the staff saying "Y'know what this show needs? Sentient lemur fairy people." That must have been one hell of a trip.

Sentinels was being developed with Matchbox as a toy sponser.

I would wonder if the reason they don't want to use those mechanical designs, aside from being very outdated 80's designs, is that the agreement with Matchbox (now Mattel) might not still be valid.

In that case, it would be better for HG to go with all new designs that they would own and license with as they please.

:blink:

Hm... now there's another weird thought. Matchbox (Mattel) was bankrolling the development and production of the Robotech II: the Sentinels animated series. Wouldn't it be a kick if it turned out the reason Harmony Gold so consistently refuses to continue the Robotech II: the Sentinels series is because their contract with Matchbox is still valid?

And...

UPDATE #21: AN OVERVIEW WITH GREG SNEGOFF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnEbrQzZXxw#t=37

Wow... it's... a summation of the most pessimistic musings the Robotech fans have been talking over.

Class of raw recruits who are expies of/rivals to existing characters (Sentinels) including the seemingly-mandatory generic prodigy and spunky action girl, lost in deep space on a ship the don't understand and unable to use their fold drive to get home (Macross Saga, Sentinels), and beset by aliens who just want their sh*t back (all of it).

This makes Astro Plan and Space Gandam V look like masterpieces of original thought. As Robotech plots go, this is practically paint-by-numbers. <_<

Edited by Seto Kaiba

And...

UPDATE #21: AN OVERVIEW WITH GREG SNEGOFF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnEbrQzZXxw#t=37

-A cast of characters on a lone ship searching for a certain person. Check.

-A female ace and a prodigy. Check.

-return of old familiar characters. Check.

-A mcguffin object and a mysterious alien who wants it back. Check.

-OMFGWTFBBQ!! Rick Hunter is back! Check.

Yup, Academy is totally not a rehash of TSC.

Edited by Moly_Sigang

Class of raw recruits who are expies of/rivals to existing characters (Sentinels) including the seemingly-mandatory generic prodigy and spunky action girl, lost in deep space on a ship the don't understand and unable to use their fold drive to get home (Macross Saga, Sentinels), and beset by aliens who just want their sh*t back (all of it).

Lord of the Flies in space has been done already.

Edited by Einherjar

Is it too much to hope that this show turns out -exactly- like that DS9 episode, and none of the characters are ever heard from again? That would be one helluva pilot episode if you killed off everyone that early.

Heck, I'd fund that!

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/1381502542/robotech-academy/#chart-daily

Sunday they took in less than $1,600. Looks like Monday's total pledge is a hair under $1,400. Right now they would basically need $20,000 pledged every day up until the end. SDCC might still give them a push, but I honestly can't think they are going to pick up to much more support. But then again, the Kickstarter for Palladium's Robotech RPG Tactics had a huge upswing the last day.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rrpgt/robotech-rpg-tacticstm/?ref=kicktraq

But I do got a question regarding the Kickstarter for the Robotech RPG Tactics. How was it so much more successful? Were people happy with the end product and the goodies that were dulled out to the Kickstarter participants? I'm not into the Palladium RPG's, but I am curious on if this is playing into any current issues the Academy Kickstarter is having (along with everything else).

But I do got a question regarding the Kickstarter for the Robotech RPG Tactics. How was it so much more successful? Were people happy with the end product and the goodies that were dulled out to the Kickstarter participants? I'm not into the Palladium RPG's, but I am curious on if this is playing into any current issues the Academy Kickstarter is having (along with everything else).

I think the difference is the product. You know HG is going to put out a garbage product and while Palladium is far from amazing, they've been far more consistent than HG has been and they've been the way everyone has been getting new Robotech stories for over 20 years. They've been making their own with their own friends in the Robotech RPG. There's a lot of "been there, done that" with HG and I don't think anyone can look at that price tag and say "oh yeah, that'll be worth $500k".

Couple that with the fact that Macross gamer fans would love to have a Macross minis game and you add a lot to the fan base.

Basically, what it says is that the fans of Robotech have exactly the same amount of confidence in this product that Agrama does.

There's a thread about here.

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=39009

It is believed that the Kickstarter was supported by a huge amount of Battletech fans because it would finally give them a chance to collect the Unseen mecha from that franchise (repurposed mecha from Macross that HG forced them to stop using). And, of course, Macross fans. Also, in addition to new add-ons and pledge levels to attract new backers offered during the funding period, Palladium set up multiple stretch goals offering new figures and etc. whenever the total money pledged reached certain milestones. I thought they got more and more ridiculous as time went on. As the KS page shows, they have a lot of work to do.

So far, out of all the figures that were promised, only a small amount of them are currently ready to be shipped out. Backers should be getting the first batch of figures sometime next month, but only after Palladium sells some of them at Gen Con to non-backers for promotional reasons. That's pissed off a lot of backers, especially when the owner of the company was forced to plead his case and ask the backers for permission to do this after the announcement. Also, what was estimated to be all competed by last December has now become an indefinite, long term commitment that the backers did not expect (but really should have).

Some backers for both KSes have said this affected their feelings toward supporting Academy, but who knows.

Edited by Einherjar

Behold, the Children of Zor...

attachicon.gifvlcsnap-2014-07-21-18h32m29s18.png

(Image source is the Robotech "Legacy Collection" DVD set by ADV Films, Extras disc No.3 "Elements of Robotechnology III" character animation model sheet gallery.)

Fairy lemurs eh? They can be threatening ya know, if given the right antagonistic look.

post-2788-0-51598900-1406007006_thumb.png

This one's on me HG. Your welcome. ;)

EDIT: I regret nothing. ^_^

Edited by Flaming Guantlet

Fairy lemurs eh? They can be threatening ya know, if given the right antagonistic look.

attachicon.gifCOZ.PNG

This one's on me HG. Your welcome. ;)

Children of Zor

A freakin F*ucking space fairy lemur from the Hell with laser rip-off from vajras XD