Robotech Academy - You want a new Robotech series...?

I still think there's going to be a few die-hards there that will put in all their savings just to make the goal and say "told you so macrossworld, FU".

I seriously doubt there are those that hate Macross like you imply, they probably just don't like the purist elitism ;) It's possible to be both a Macross and a Robotech fan at the same time. Though I love Robotech's story more than Macross's I still appreciate the latter that I enjoy it's sequels and spin-offs all the same.

I guess it's like comparing the old Japanese Godzilla films to the new America film released this year. Some people will always want the man in the suit but there are others who want more than that.

If this is suppose to take place during the Sentinels universe why do they have new uniforms and new mecha designs? Shouldn't they be using the old ones? It is set in the Sentinels universe but it will not be the Sentinels? Why not just have it take place 20 years after the 3rd Robotech War and have it all be about something in the Robotech saga that is entirely new?

I still think there's going to be a few die-hards there that will put in all their savings just to make the goal and say "told you so macrossworld, FU".

absolutely

said Kevin on page 23 of the Robotech Academy thread (the latest post). What if this kills Shadow Rising and even the LAM? That might be a nice side effect.

... isn't Shadow Rising already dead? I know they said they were going to resume work on it since the LAM was all kinds of not happening, but they've done nothing with it as far as anyone (VAs included, AFAIK) knows. The LAM was a goner the moment they started publicizing that even Sylvain White had passed on it.

Obviously I can't say for certain, but their sudden all-or-nothing focus on the Robotech Academy Kickstarter says to me that the LAM's dead in the water and that Shadow Rising is either on the back burner or canceled (again).

If this is suppose to take place during the Sentinels universe why do they have new uniforms and new mecha designs? Shouldn't they be using the old ones? It is set in the Sentinels universe but it will not be the Sentinels? Why not just have it take place 20 years after the 3rd Robotech War and have it all be about something in the Robotech saga that is entirely new?

Updating the aesthetic to appeal to a more modern audience... and to be more in line with the Shadow Chronicles uniforms and so on. Harmony Gold doesn't consider the footage of the Sentinels "movie" to be canon, so technically they're free and clear here in that the Prelude comic didn't use them either. It's just as well, since the Masters Saga is the fandom's un-favorite (according to HG and Toynami, anyway) and the old Sentinels uniforms are Southern Cross-based and VERY 80s. To me, from a practical view, it's actually a sensible decision.

As far as "why not set it 20 years after the 3rd Robotech War", the answer is the same as for Robotech 3000... because the big draw is "the continuing adventures of Admiral Rick Hunter and friends", and without that they really don't have an audience that would be big enough to justify doing anything at all. (I'm sorry to keep harping on that, but that's the reality behind every "why didn't they do something new" story question.)

I seriously doubt there are those that hate Macross like you imply, they probably just don't like the purist elitism ;)

You'd be wrong there, friend... I'm told there are some real nasty ones on certain Robotech facebook groups. A buddy of mine admins one, and he's had to roll out the banhammer for a few unpleasant lads who seem to have nothing better to do than bait Macross fans. (I won't get into the details, but what's been shown to me via that friend is profoundly unpleasant.) I don't really count the ones on Robotech.com, because the mods there are actually spurring them on, and without their agitation most are actually decent enough folks.

The ones I'm aware of are mostly die-hard Southern Cross/Masters Saga fans who are embittered by the way Harmony Gold focuses on Macross and the Macross Saga above all else.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

I seriously doubt there are those that hate Macross like you imply, they probably just don't like the purist elitism ;) It's possible to be both a Macross and a Robotech fan at the same time. Though I love Robotech's story more than Macross's I still appreciate the latter that I enjoy it's sequels and spin-offs all the same.

I guess it's like comparing the old Japanese Godzilla films to the new America film released this year. Some people will always want the man in the suit but there are others who want more than that.

Don't dare doubt it. Yes, the Robotech fans that hate Macross with religious vehemence are few, but don't ever mistake them as myth or one-in-a-million. In the 1990s and early 2000s there were Robotech fans that wrote disertation-length hate speeches on all things Macross, the creators, the fans, everything! Some Robotech fans posted MySpace and YouTube videos damning all things Macross like it was a moral panic. There were Robotech fans that acted as copyright bloodhounds for Harmony Gold, reporting retailers that sold Macross merchandise like Nazi youth reporting Jews. This was real Robotech fan behaviour. Don't ever underestimate the resentment-fueled rage people fed upon when the Macross-Robotech divide was at its height in geekdom pop culture. ESPECIALLY nerds and geeks, a demographic plagued by insecurity.

Personally, I'd think SC is far closer to the original Godzilla than Macross Frontier, plot-wise and VFX-wise. But maybe with the kickstarter money, Robotech Academy CGI will look at least last decade :)

Edited by Mr March

Guest davidwhangchoi

is it just me when i feel like smacking his face when i see a vid of Tommy Yune? it just seems like he's a natural troll when he talks. He doesn't even have to try.

is it just me when i feel like smacking his face when i see a vid of Tommy Yune? it just seems like he's a natural troll when he talks. He doesn't even have to try.

What about when you read an interview? Still get that feeling?

http://www.newsarama.com/21616-enlist-at-robotech-academy-with-kickstarter-to-bring-original-creator-s-dream-to-life.html

Then seek your nearest Robotech DVDs and throw them.

It becomes a soap opera, and people get hooked on it. There were the typical anime conventions, like in the first episode, they through [sic] everything at you with action. So you’re chasing that high. You get hooked in with the action, then next thing you know you’re hooked into the soap opera. You tell a pre-teen boy in Junior High School, “hey, you want to watch a cartoon about a love triangle about a guy trying to figure out whether he likes a younger girl or older girl?” They’d say, “There’s no way I’m going to watch that!” But they get into that in Robotech and they’re addicted, and they’ll be in it for the long haul.

Wow. I didn't think I would ever see anyone completely dismantle and overly simplify the plot and character interactions of SDF Macross in one short paragraph, but here we are. I can finally sell off my Toynami collection without regrets.

Edited by technoblue

While I know that it's kind of a YMMV thing, there's a pretty big gulf between interacting with Tommy Yune in his official capacity as the "creative director" for Robotech and interacting with him "off the books". On the occasions I've run into him when he's giving a public speech or something about Robotech, I definitely see shades of the preening egotist and a little bit of the natural troll mode that seems to piss people off by his choice of words alone. The few times I've managed to have a candid, off-the-clock discussion with him I've found him to be no more or less irritating than pretty much anyone I run into in the course of a normal day.

At the end of the day, I'm stuck in the same position on him that I am with Carl Macek. I honestly can't tell whether the guy who's able to piss people off just by talking is his actual behavior as a professional, or if it's some kind of silent protest he's indulging in while his job forces him to echo the lies and distortions that are the Harmony Gold company line. 's like Macek's interview shortly after Robotech.com went online. Did he really have so little respect for the intelligence of the average Robotech fan that he was convinced the obvious lies would pass without inspection, or was he grinding his teeth silently while he dutifully copied out a HG-sanctioned official answer?

What about when you read an interview? Still get that feeling?

http://www.newsarama.com/21616-enlist-at-robotech-academy-with-kickstarter-to-bring-original-creator-s-dream-to-life.html

Then seek your nearest Robotech DVDs and throw them.

Wow, they're really doing a full court press with this one... though this is one of his less offensively idiotic interviews, IMO.

It does confirm one thing for us, this is absolutely an attempt to salvage Robotech II: the Sentinels (again) and cash in on that sweet, sweet wellspring of Macross nostalgia. Starting at the end of the 2nd Robotech War, is it? McKeever's doing the usual "dangle-Rick Hunter in front of the fans to get attention" thing on Robotech.com too, though this time it doesn't seem to be working. They're trying the same sell as they did in Robotech II... the descendants and pupils of the Macross Saga cast.

I'm a bit baffled by this idea of mecha that are going to be transitional designs between the 2nd and 3rd Generations, because their established continuity actually has the mecha of the Masters Saga developed AFTER those of the New Generation. They might be doing something awful to the timeline again... unless this is their way of referring to the Convert and the Condor out of MOSPEADA's backstory.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

I don't think Tommy Yune is what's most wrong with these interviews. I think the problem is simply the subject matter. It's a Robotech kickstarter and it's Harmony Gold. If you're an informed Macross fan looking/reading any of this, you see right through it because you already know the real story behind it all. How can that not bias us against what's being said/printed?

But to be specific, I don't like the reductive, demographical way in which Tommy Yune speaks of the Robotech IP he's trying to sell. It feels very dispassionate and economic, like a business plan. Listen to an interview with someone like J.J. Abrams talk about Star Wars (the mystery box) and then read this Tommy Yune interview as he talks Robotech. You'll see the contrast.

Edited by Mr March

Guest davidwhangchoi

I don't think Tommy Yune is what's most wrong with these interviews. I think the problem is simply the subject matter. It's a Robotech kickstarter and it's Harmony Gold. If you're an informed Macross fan looking/reading any of this, you see right through it because you already know the real story behind it all. How can that not bias us against what's being said/printed?

Let's say i didn't know anything about Macross... what he says doesn't make sense. he's saying that they want to make a pilot to pitch to networks and the reason they're not using cooperate money:

Yune: Well, what we’re asking fans to do is support a pilot. The pilot will set the tone of the story. The thing is, if we take funding from a corporate entity, they have to get their two cents in. The merchandising that a corporate source has in mind might inform the story we have to tell. When we saw how well kickstarter was doing for a lot of potential projects – fans started bugging us as well! They said, “if you throw something like this on Kickstarter, we’ll say shut up and take our money!” (laughs)

That is such horsesh..

corporate merchandising might tell the story.... :rolleyes:

it's like who's so stupid to believe that?? even if wanted to support HG, i can't because i'll be laughed as a fool for supporting his line of reasoning.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Is it possible that this KS is getting more attention here than anyplace else on the internet?

Double what its getting from actual Robotech fans at robotech.com that is for sure.

Sad. Sad.

This is what happens when you alienate your fanbase.

Let's say i didn't know anything about Macross... what he says doesn't make sense. he's saying that they want to make a pilot to pitch to networks and the reason they're not using cooperate money:

You know, studios often get less when people pitch ideas to them. Many times, the sales pitch is a summary (<30 pages), maybe a powerpoint slide, some models, and mostly talking. So this KS project is R&D? What happened with Shadow Chronicles? Wasn't that R&D for a brand new series that was made "in-house" and didn't rely on another show to the majority of its content? Wasn't LLA a test for merchandise?

If you're an informed Macross fan looking/reading any of this, you see right through it because you already know the real story behind it all. How can that not bias us against what's being said/printed?

The problem is, how many informed people out there? It's probably best to inform them than trying to argue with Macross. Leave Macross out of the picture and point out the problems with how HG has moved this franchise along in the past decade.

10270696_10204377782834556_3628055640790

As Rick James once said, "Cocaine is one helluva drug" (no, I'm not advocating drug use)

As far as Tom's comments, I'm waiting for the crazies to come out and post from their little tin hat bunkers any day now. If one sentence could incite a 2 hour podcast, imagine several paragraphs. Get ready for a mini series.

The way Yune co-opts "Shut up and take my money" for his this RA kickstarter is enough to put off my next meal :)

As Rick James once said, "Cocaine is one helluva drug" (no, I'm not advocating drug use)

As far as Tom's comments, I'm waiting for the crazies to come out and post from their little tin hat bunkers any day now. If one sentence could incite a 2 hour podcast, imagine several paragraphs. Get ready for a mini series.

Perhaps some will, but Tom's post hasn't evoked the type of rabid response from Robotech fans we've seen in years past. Maybe I just haven't see it yet. Or perhaps Seto is right; even a lot of Robotech fans - at least those a part of the involved online community - have a much different attitude towards Harmony Gold today. Maybe Shadow Chronicles really did do a lot more damage than we suspected.

Edited by Mr March

And with nearly half coming date of the project ...

They even reached half of the collection.

or:

They will not be able to rest a few days left, or will not and they will have to abort the project

And in the Immortal words of Arnold Schwarzenegger...

Is it possible that this KS is getting more attention here than anyplace else on the internet?

It certainly seems that way... several of the Robotech-related websites that I'm aware of have actually outright banned discussions and/or news posts about the Kickstarter because none of the Robotech fans present had anything even remotely nice to say about it.

Perhaps some will, but Tom's post hasn't evoked the type of rabid response from Robotech fans we've seen in years past. Maybe I just haven't see it yet. Or perhaps Seto is right; even a lot of Robotech fans - at least those a part of the involved online community - have a much different attitude towards Harmony Gold today. Maybe Shadow Chronicles really did do a lot more damage than we suspected.

With Tommy's actual behavior stuck in Schrodinger's Cat territory, Tom has always come across as being the "one sane man" from Harmony Gold. I must confess I'm a little floored at the complete absence of a frothing fanboy denunciation of Tom's mild response to the Kickstarter. Normally the mere mention of his name has the Harmony Gold volunteer thought police bouncing off the walls with barely restrained impotent fury.

I'll say this though. The attitude I've seen from a lot of people who I've known for a good long time, and who usually could count themselves among Robotech's most ardent and rational defenders, is not much different from Tom's. Their objections are most commonly threefold: "It's not Carl's idea, it's Tommy's", "It's a bad idea", and "That it's a Kickstarter is a very public and obvious vote of no confidence in Robotech on the part of Harmony Gold". Most of those doing the backing, except for the 200 or so that the Kickstarter backers have pointed to as the "Take my money!" crowd, seem to be operating out of cautious optimism and not the unabashed blind enthusiasm Tommy's trying to attribute to them.

I really think they are of the mind that SDCC can rebound them. At this point though I am gonna say no.

Yep, McKeever's been making some leading remarks that there'll be some kind of "big reveal" about the involvement of Rick and the others at the SDCC panel... so I think it's safe to say they're praying for the SDCC panel to save their bacon, otherwise this's going down.

I just do not understand their management. Momentum goes a long way. They finally get Shadow Chronicles out and then they sit on their hands. Then they wait 5-6 years and put out a filler project(RT:LLA) and now they turned to Kickstarter? Does not make a lot of sense at all. The brand was taking off again in 2001 thanks to the DVD sales and then the just killed it with bad projects and severe lack of momentum.

It would be like Marvel putting out a phase 1 avengers movie, a bad sequel years later,and then sitting on their hands and begging fans to make it.

It makes sense if sales of Shadow Chronicles was lackluster.

Yet they were not. Not the best, but decent enough to fund an episode 2.

I mention Tom's response to how Shadow Chronicles did back here.

They've had boxsets over the years. Where did that money go? These are just some of many questions people should be asking at SDCC.

I'd be the first to admit that Tom threw a little cold water on me about Carl's participation in Robotech Academy but I still like to see this still get done. It sounds like they're revisiting the Southern Cross and showing more different factions of the Robotech Masters ala the Children of Zor..

I just do not understand their management. Momentum goes a long way. They finally get Shadow Chronicles out and then they sit on their hands.

Because, shortly after the Shadow Chronicles was released on DVD they landed that live-action license agreement with Maguire Entertainment and apparently believed that Robotech was going to be receiving a fast-tracked big-budget live-action movie, and their management put Shadow Rising on indefinite hiatus in the hopes that if they waited to cross-promote it with their live-action movie they'd land much better investment deals and be able to make a higher quality film.

(They were actually shockingly candid about this, apart from McKeever's desperate backpedaling over what the actual meaning behind "indefinite hiatus" is.)

Then they wait 5-6 years and put out a filler project(RT:LLA) and now they turned to Kickstarter? Does not make a lot of sense at all. The brand was taking off again in 2001 thanks to the DVD sales and then the just killed it with bad projects and severe lack of momentum.

It would be like Marvel putting out a phase 1 avengers movie, a bad sequel years later,and then sitting on their hands and begging fans to make it.

The generally-held theory behind Robotech: Love Live Alive is that it was something rushed out to capitalize on the death of Carl Macek (it was marketed as his last project) and to distract fans from the general lack of anything resembling forward motion from both the Robotech live-action movie and Shadow Rising.

The fans on Robotech.com and elsewhere repeatedly called Harmony Gold on the way their decisions were eroding away what momentum had been gained by Shadow Chronicles, though that seems to have largely fallen on deaf ears.

As far as turning to Kickstarter, I think that's prompted by the attitude Harmony Gold's management had/has towards investing in development of a new series. For the past few years, even Kevin McKeever could be caught admitting on the forums that senior management would not approve the development of a new series unless a network offered them an episode commitment before development began. As that's the very picture of a self-defeating position, they may well have turned to Kickstarter to fund their development as a way of circumventing their management's unwillingness to fund development of a pilot.

Yet they were not. Not the best, but decent enough to fund an episode 2.

I mention Tom's response to how Shadow Chronicles did back here.

They've had boxsets over the years. Where did that money go? These are just some of many questions people should be asking at SDCC.

It's worth remembering that Harmony Gold sets a much lower bound for "successful" than the industry normally does... so what THEY consider to be doing well enough for a sequel is, in all likelihood, what a more competent company would consider a bad situation.

I'd be the first to admit that Tom threw a little cold water on me about Carl's participation in Robotech Academy but I still like to see this still get done. It sounds like they're revisiting the Southern Cross and showing more different factions of the Robotech Masters ala the Children of Zor..

Funny story... the "Children of Zor" were/are actually a concept that didn't make it into the aborted Robotech II: the Sentinels project... there's supposedly some concept art of them on the Sentinels extras disc in various Robotech DVD releases. I'll try to find my copy.

Behold, the Children of Zor...

post-2536-0-09959100-1405981980_thumb.png

(Image source is the Robotech "Legacy Collection" DVD set by ADV Films, Extras disc No.3 "Elements of Robotechnology III" character animation model sheet gallery.)