Robotech Academy - You want a new Robotech series...?

Also, as much as I'd love to agree with you in principle that spewing "nerd rage" to the public isn't going to influence anyone to do anything, I have to admit that in this case it might actually be achieving something. The fans nerd-raged about what a bad idea it is and how it demonstrated Harmony Gold had so little confidence in this they wouldn't fund it themselves, and it persuaded a fair few other Robotech fans not to back it. So, in some small way, the nerd rage is actually accomplishing something... to the extent that Harmony Gold shills are trying to get various fansites to lock threads where people are speaking critically of the Kickstarter's content because they're convinced it's hurting the Kickstarter itself.

Which is why there's no point in bringing up Macross in this conversation. The last 2 HG-funded projects were "so successful" that they resort to KS to fund their next one. Just keep pointing to their current works. Look how those turned out with the current staff. Point to what HG does with just the RT fanbase.

I went over to the Robotech forums just to see what the scuttlebutt was regarding Academy over there. My brain now hurts.

We keep telling folks to stop lurking over there. Even that will hurt your brain.

Which is why there's no point in bringing up Macross in this conversation. The last 2 HG-funded projects were "so successful" that they resort to KS to fund their next one. Just keep pointing to their current works. Look how those turned out with the current staff. Point to what HG does with just the RT fanbase.

We keep telling folks to stop lurking over there. Even that will hurt your brain.

Curiosity killed the cat. I didn't stay long, though. And you're right, there really is no reason for a Macross fan to be doing any hand-wringing over this KS. It's 2014, we can get anything we want Macross related no matter were we live. Sure, we are all going to rubberneck a little, but we have no stake in whether this succeeds or fails. It doesn't affect us.

Curiosity killed the cat. I didn't stay long, though. And you're right, there really is no reason for a Macross fan to be doing any hand-wringing over this KS. It's 2014, we can get anything we want Macross related no matter were we live. Sure, we are all going to rubberneck a little, but we have no stake in whether this succeeds or fails. It doesn't affect us.

Exactly, which is why I still propose that those of us with a few bucks to burn support this on the merrit of watching the comedy ensue during production, take bets on when it will actually come out, and marvel at jow the few remaining fans swear that it's the greatest thing ever.

It's kinda like a reality show...

Wait, there are Gummi Bears in Kingdom Hearts?

Sadly, only in name.

Edited by Keith

I think more than a new series,this KS is just bringing out the real Kevin McKeever....an unprofessional attention wh*re....(btw, hi Kevin.)......in a REAL company setting...he'd be terminated on sight for the way he directs himself to the "clientele"....."marks love him"...Memo and Mav want to BE him.......

And not surprisingly.....he's his OWN biggest mark?

Discussing anything of worth with the guy is pointless....he hides behind the skirt of the Robotech.com forums...and that's how it is going to be.

Like I said before...let them get funded.......that's where the real fun begins....because the HG boys will have painted themselves into a corner.....this is not Shadow Rising with it's "still in development" tale.....they have other people's money....and those people....especially the "marks" will be hounding them for answers every step of the way...

Foolish of them to think they will get any from Kevin..... :rolleyes:

... are those... drills... in its engine nozzles?

Gurren Lagann knows no bounds. It pierces the very reality of animation, spreading across animated universes like an unstoppable force. Who the hell do you think they are?

So... those things in the back are foots? it TRANSFORMS???

810b22f04cf07dd4c117267bd72f1b6f_large.j

If this is the rear of the ship, reminds of the legs to the Garland from megazone 23.

$131,770.00 raised so far with 25 days to go....

You know what the VF-??? "Kibblemaster" reminds me of?

What did Duke say? Everything these days is ripping off something that came before. I maintain my "Meh".

Well, yes. I didn't say it WAS ripping R-Type off, just that it reminds me of it.

God knows R-Type Final isn't the first thing to make a fightercraft with a comically large underslung cannon.

But if it's canon name isn't the Kibblemaster, I will be sad.

I thought the primary utility of Rowboat-tech threads was the comedy value. It's the best medicine, after all.

Only if you've already lost your faith in humanity... otherwise it's just intensely depressing.

Nothing will be the VF-1 guys.

You can fault HG for many things, but the mechs designs are as contrived as everything else in anime today.

Nothing will be the VF-1 guys.

You can fault HG for many things, but the mechs designs are as contrived as everything else in anime today.

Development is additive, and today's creators in the anime industry are people who grew up with classic shows. Even Macross's creators were Gundam fanboys. They take the parts they like and develop them in new and different ways. This is, for all of the design's supreme hideousness and clumsy execution, no different.

So far, Kicktraq is still predicting failure by an ever-increasing margin, though, and that would lend credence to what I've seen on various sites where the "previews" of concept art are serving to further divide an already mutually-hostile fanbase.

..."previews" of concept art are serving to further divide an already mutually-hostile fanbase.

Well said. In a way I am not sure why that HG guy posted the link on MW. We are here for a reason, and it isn't our love for Robotech.

Well said. In a way I am not sure why that HG guy posted the link on MW. We are here for a reason, and it isn't our love for Robotech.

Probably because they're desperate for cash... Kicktraq has been predicting failure pretty consistently, and by an ever-increasing margin. They were probably hoping Macross fans would be eager to self-identify as loathing Robotech to troll the Kickstarter (the popular Robotech fanatic fanboy's dismissive stereotype of the "Macross purist troll") that they'd gain some ground.

I donated $30, don't hate. I like what HG is doing here and its better than some corporate media company that could of just repackaged Robotech into something lame and unrecognizable.

What did you think of HG's other recent attempts, then?

I donated $30, don't hate. I like what HG is doing here and its better than some corporate media company that could of just repackaged Robotech into something lame and unrecognizable.

That's pretty much all they've done.

I think more than a new series,this KS is just bringing out the real Kevin McKeever....an unprofessional attention wh*re....(btw, hi Kevin.)......in a REAL company setting...he'd be terminated on sight for the way he directs himself to the "clientele"....."marks love him"...Memo and Mav want to BE him.......

And not surprisingly.....he's his OWN biggest mark?

Discussing anything of worth with the guy is pointless....he hides behind the skirt of the Robotech.com forums...and that's how it is going to be.

Like I said before...let them get funded.......that's where the real fun begins....because the HG boys will have painted themselves into a corner.....this is not Shadow Rising with it's "still in development" tale.....they have other people's money....and those people....especially the "marks" will be hounding them for answers every step of the way...

Foolish of them to think they will get any from Kevin..... :rolleyes:

In case there are people here who don't know Kevin McKeever before he got hired by Harmony Gold Kev was one of the biggest trolls here. We don't ban people for simply having a difference of opinion. I did have to send several warning to him about getting close to the line. I think he had a short ban once. He acted all pleasant in our messages but created a lot of extra work and headaches. Harmony Gold really impressed me when they hired him.

What did you think of HG's other recent attempts, then?

They could of been better. Shadow Chronicles had lots of potential but HG listens to the fans and that matters to me. I know Robotech is the Frankenstein monster of the anime community but I love Macek's vision for it. I had the opportunity of meeting him when I was about 12 in 1986, damn I'm old ;) , and I think there is potential. If I'm wrong then its only $30 lost, I can live with that.

In case there are people here who don't know Kevin McKeever before he got hired by Harmony Gold Kev was one of the biggest trolls here. We don't ban people for simply having a difference of opinion. I did have to send several warning to him about getting close to the line. I think he had a short ban once. He acted all pleasant in our messages but created a lot of extra work and headaches. Harmony Gold really impressed me when they hired him.

And apparently MEMO is moderator there or something. I didn't stick around long enough to find out, but it's a bit like being in bizarro world.

Edited by Duke Togo

It's funny azrael should bring up Gundam 00. While the Robotech Academy ship design doesn't look much like that Gundam series, the animation style appears to be mimicking the spaceship CG of the series, though obviously not nearly as accomplished. Just the other day Seto told me about the ships of the Mospeada anime. Comparing this Academy ship and the Mospeada deigns, I can see now where the HG designers obtained some of the ideas. The engine "spires/vanes" are lifted directly from the Garfish and those grey colored "containers" on the bottom I've been told are likely Garfish-style fighter launch bays. The glowy bits feel like Next Gen/DS9/Voyager/Enterprise era Star Trek visuals, which is kinda jarring given the fulgy, military-like design and coloring. But what is it supposed to be, design-wise?

Was it meant to simply look cool? That didn't happen.

Was it meant to be a plausibly functional design? That didn't happen.

Was it meant to have a unified style? That didn't happen.

Was it meant to look like anime? Like western mecha? That didn't happen.

Was it meant to look like military hardware? That kinda happened

Was it meant to look near-future? Far-future? Can't tell what happened.

Was it meant to be angular? Smooth? Neither? Both? Who really knows what happened?

I don't think this Robotech Academy ship is the worst fictional starship design I've ever seen, but it's not memorable. I think my biggest problem is it brings nothing new to the table and has no unified aesthetic that would...well, distinguish it. I think the artists can't decide what they want it to be. It's a jumble of lifted design concepts simply thrown together because individually each design element was good, but together they don't add up. Some elements outright clash. It just feels like a confused mess :(

Oh wait, now I remember where I've seen the cone-engines on normal engine designs and not magical engines like the GN-drives, Gundam SEED. The METEORs.

meteor.jpg

They could of been better. Shadow Chronicles had lots of potential but HG listens to the fans and that matters to me. I know Robotech is the Frankenstein monster of the anime community but I love Macek's vision for it. I had the opportunity of meeting him when I was about 12 in 1986, damn I'm old ;) , and I think there is potential. If I'm wrong then its only $30 lost, I can live with that.

We won't hate you cuz you donated. Honestly, most of the project funds donated on KS are from people, like yourself, that put in at the <$100-mark. More people donate at that range anyways. I'm more curious about those who donated at the >=$5,000-mark.