Robotech Academy - You want a new Robotech series...?

Ok... its serious?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BsTmibJCUAAyseb.jpg:large

They make Phobos like a resot academy

As terrible as the design and CG are, the best that could come of this is a fan-fiction crossover with Doom. If they produce this mess, Phobos might at least feel like the gateway to hell for Robotech fans. :lol:

I think it's probably a good time to point out that high-profile Kickstarter campaigns have a lot of problems with "backer trolls" that dive on high-value or limited rewards early on, then cancel their pledges in the last few minutes of the campaign.

On the other hand, there's also usually a last-minute pledge rush, even in lower-profile campaigns. Lotta people wait until it's almost over to decide if/how much they need to chip in.

I saw(backed, actually) one Kickstarter that generated a full half of it's funding in the last four days. It was obvious to everyone it was going to fall far short in the end, dude did his kickstarter concession speech and thanked everyone for being awesome, then overnight a tsunami of dollar bills rolled across his desk and he was back in business.

So Rawboot-eck could yet get funded, though I wouldn't place any money on it(no pun intended).

I hope they cross the finish line, though. Regardless of whether it ever actually comes out, this crap is gonna be hilarious.

Lol, they built the academy on a moon that's going to eventually slam into Mars.

That's funny on its own.

Maybe they know, and it's actually a metaphor for the Robotech franchise as a whole? Y'know... stuck in an untenable position, a single wrong move away from plunging into the infinite abyss, and with ultimate failure being an inescapable matter of time even if they didn't screw up.

It's deep, man... it's real deep.

I think it's probably a good time to point out that high-profile Kickstarter campaigns have a lot of problems with "backer trolls" that dive on high-value or limited rewards early on, then cancel their pledges in the last few minutes of the campaign.

Under ordinary circumstances, I'd probably find that to be detestable behavior. But, since it's Harmony Gold...

And yet its still going to happen, even though like Seto says no one really gains anything from the cycle of stupidity.

Of course as soon as I said that I find Robotech admins posting on our twitter account spamming the "enemy spy tier". I just went ahead and blocked them. Not gonna play their game. That tier shows how people are just pledging their money to a company that'll never know what professionalism is. It's bad enough that they're bad at their jobs but stooping below to childish behavior... I'm not saying you can't have fun but you just don't do it in a business setting such as a fund raiser. I shoulda did a screen cap before I erased it. :rolleyes:

Lol, they built the academy on a moon that's going to eventually slam into Mars.

That's funny on its own.

This remind me a old session of Robotech RPG, when my squadron found a complex machinery inside the Io, and after started it. We then found that we could move there, and launched it against the enemy fleet...

After this the group stop to play with that GM.

Of course as soon as I said that I find Robotech admins posting on our twitter account spamming the "enemy spy tier". I just went ahead and blocked them. Not gonna play their game. That tier shows how people are just pledging their money to a company that'll never know what professionalism is. It's bad enough that they're bad at their jobs but stooping below to childish behavior... I'm not saying you can't have fun but you just don't do it in a business setting such as a fund raiser. I shoulda did a screen cap before I erased it. :rolleyes:

What it shows, more than anything, is that they're entirely keen to perpetuate the extreme animosity their most fanatical fans have for Macross fans. They assume anyone who's a Macross fan would have no interest in their Kickstarter except to tell them they're idiots... which just shows they don't understand the people who don't watch their garbage any better than the people who do, since, as I said before, nothing any Macross fan could say to a Robotech fan could do nearly as much damage as what the fans of Robotech do to themselves every time they get their hopes up.

There's no need for a troll tier, because they're practically self-trolling at this point.

They assume anyone who's a Macross fan would have no interest in their Kickstarter except to tell them they're idiots... which just shows they don't understand the people who don't watch their garbage any better than the people who do <snip>

This is the really sad thing about that Enemy Spy tier, even if it's just a troll/joke on their part. Meh. I had more to say, but it doesn't seem worth it for something so childish and ridiculous.

Getting back to simple numbers, two things caught me off guard since I checked on the project yesterday:

1. They have reached $100,000.
  2. The $5,000 pledge tier is full.

So is HG serious about "troll tier"? You're on KS cuz you're asking for money. You don't see PBS making a tier for people that contribute <$20. They're happy if you contribute anything. This gives me the impression that HG is not serious about this project. I'm serious when it comes to my money. I would expect them to be serious about this as well. And I'm not seeing that with this "troll tier". I expect a certain level of professionalism if you're asking for money.

So is HG serious about "troll tier"? You're on KS cuz you're asking for money. You don't see PBS making a tier for people that contribute <$20. They're happy if you contribute anything. This gives me the impression that HG is not serious about this project. I'm serious when it comes to my money. I would expect them to be serious about this as well. And I'm not seeing that with this "troll tier". I expect a certain level of professionalism if you're asking for money.

And they were trying so hard to be wholesome about it for the past week, too.

I assume something like this "troll tier" or "spy tier" is to grab any money they can even from people that hate Harmony Gold or who Harmony Gold hates. THey'll take the money either way. Never seen a business publically admit that before, but this is Harmony Gold, the standard for lowbrow.

Perhaps it's also "petty motivation" for Robotech fans with a chip on their shoulder that haven't yet donated to the Kickstarter. If Harmony Gold sets up the kickstarter to publically display Macross fan criticism, it may motivate less disciplined Robotech fans to donate just to slight those awful Macross fans :)

This gives me the impression that HG is not serious about this project. I'm serious when it comes to my money. I would expect them to be serious about this as well. And I'm not seeing that with this "troll tier". I expect a certain level of professionalism if you're asking for money.

Wait... wait... wait... THIS gives you the impression that Harmony Gold wasn't serious about this project? I thought most folks came to that realization around the time they realized this Kickstarter was not, in fact, an out-of-season April Fool's joke.

Also, expecting professionalism from a Harmony Gold isn't just trying to draw water from a dry well... it's trying to draw water from a well that only exists in unverified anecdotes.

I liked Mospeada as much as Macross in Robotech. I also liked the progression, which made sense. That said, Southern Cross never really fit as well. What they should be doing rather than sequels is plugging the gaps more if not retconning.

I detest reboots in principle. Completely unnecessary. Better to go forward and maybe plug gaps (Macross to Southern Cross & Southern Cross to initial Invid Invasion). In a way Frontier showed how they should handle it. Get rid of the UN Spacy kite (always a bit too Japanese anyway) - Go with a colored circle, blue maybe, with a different emblem in it, ideally a styled form of a new generation of mecha (Delta, Epsilon fighters or whatever) - and anything to keep going forward and make the history stuff spoken of in the background. The Zentraedi are mostly dead since it's only the Bodolza fleet unlike SDF Macross so everyone else should be hybridized. They can run with their Mospeada concepts without legal issues and if they're successful they could perhaps be in a decent position to negotiate to reincorporate the old stuff

And tell new stories, too. Even if they're not good, they can build on it. But they definitely need better creative talent.

What their future mecha need is definitely more homage to old schemes instead of just Jolly Rogers (though they could definitely still have a Jolly Rogers "Skull Squadron" scheme). Show more decent and/or elite squadrons using Sundowners, Knights, etc etc.

I liked Mospeada as much as Macross in Robotech. I also liked the progression, which made sense. That said, Southern Cross never really fit as well. What they should be doing rather than sequels is plugging the gaps more if not retconning.

What their future mecha need is definitely more homage to old schemes instead of just Jolly Rogers (though they could definitely still have a Jolly Rogers "Skull Squadron" scheme). Show more decent and/or elite squadrons using Sundowners, Knights, etc etc.

Eh... the all-important point you're missing here is that the only part of Robotech that the vast majority of its fans care about at all is Macross, so they're going to pander to what their audience wants by peddling what are little more than crappy Macross fanfics played out with MOSPEADA action figures. Making decent original content is far beyond their available budget and the skill sets possessed by their staff.

Going back and trying to spackle over Robotech's many, MANY gaps is a fool's errand. Why? Because all it'll do is throw all their limitations into sharp relief, and they'd be focusing on the parts of the Robotech story and cast that almost nobody cares about... the fans hate the Masters Saga with a terrifying passion, and the New Generation is, for many of them, just sort of there... utterly inoffensive, but also uninteresting. They're retconning because that's the only way they can tell a story the fans will give a damn about... because the thing the fans want is the continuing adventures of the Macross cast. (Kinda like how Star Wars' EU has a fixation on the Skywalker and Solo families.)

They're not gonna include homages to other real-world squadrons either, because 1. they don't seem to be very aware of actual military affairs and practices (but that's fine, because this is fiction after all, and the military powers in the source material all were rather bereft of the usual starch and polish of real militaries) and 2. they're pandering to Macross Saga fans, so Skull squadron's all that matters. Wolf squadron used to be on that list, but it doesn't matter anymore because they wiped it out.

They're not doing a homage to the Jolly Rogers, they're hung up on the SVF-1 Skulls from Macross. Mind you, one of their old comics suggests that the "Jolly Rogers" never existed in Robotech... that VF-84 was never disestablished, and that it was called "Skull squadron" instead of the "Jolly Rogers".

Edited by Seto Kaiba

This is the really sad thing about that Enemy Spy tier, even if it's just a troll/joke on their part. Meh. I had more to say, but it doesn't seem worth it for something so childish and ridiculous.

Getting back to simple numbers, two things caught me off guard since I checked on the project yesterday:

1. They have reached $100,000.
  2. The $5,000 pledge tier is full.

Its' a fraud!

Wait... wait... wait... THIS gives you the impression that Harmony Gold wasn't serious about this project? I thought most folks came to that realization around the time they realized this Kickstarter was not, in fact, an out-of-season April Fool's joke.

I questioned their seriousness when this thing started. But if I knew nothing at all and saw that, I'd question this whole project. You want people to donate to you just to troll you. So they're not focused on the project. If that wasn't another red-flag to the numerous other red-flags, I don't know what would be.

Also, expecting professionalism from a Harmony Gold isn't just trying to draw water from a dry well... it's trying to draw water from a well that only exists in unverified anecdotes.

You would think they would act differently when they're beggin' for money but nope.

• They have reached $100,000.
  • The $5,000 pledge tier is full.

And how could a $5,000-tier be full? You don't want people to drop a wad of cash on you? So they're saying they don't need the money? I guess everyone should pull back their money then cuz they reached their goal.

I want them to fund it, just so people can see how piss poor of a job Tommy's writing is. I also want to see a good number of pledges see just what they wasted their money on. If it doesn't get funded, then all HG has to say is "Well, we didn't make it, it COULD'VE been great." At least this way, fans who think they're investing in something can see what type of return they actually get.

Then again, if it doesn't get funded, it'll be a virtual pie in their face. Either way, it will end up looking bad on their part.

I want them to fund it, just so people can see how piss poor of a job Tommy's writing is. I also want to see a good number of pledges see just what they wasted their money on.

Buddy, what makes you think the Robotech fans who didn't already get fed up with the franchise after Shadow Chronicles would take exception to this? Their standards are so low they will literally take ANYTHING, regardless of quality, if it lets them keep on pretending that they're not wasting their time and money on a franchise that died twenty-five years ago. The fans who have put money behind this Kickstarter would almost certainly praise as a cinematic masterpiece it even if viewing it caused spontaneous bleeding from the eyes.

Their willingness to accept anything, sight-unseen, as wonderful and perfect simply because it's Robotech is exactly what this Kickstarter is banking on.

If it doesn't get funded, then all HG has to say is "Well, we didn't make it, it COULD'VE been great." At least this way, fans who think they're investing in something can see what type of return they actually get.

Then again, if it doesn't get funded, it'll be a virtual pie in their face. Either way, it will end up looking bad on their part.

They'll do that anyway, man.

When it fails - and it's a when, not an "if" - Harmony Gold will blame someone else for the failure and then loudly lament "This was gonna be SO COOL, but __________ screwed up our magnificent, flawless creative vision and turned it into crap". The only time they haven't done this is Robotech 3000, where they actually admitted that it was just a spectacularly awful idea.

Meanwhile, the fans who invested in this mess will sink into the usual Robotech state of fanatic denial and proclaim the film to be another industry-defining, genre-defying masterpiece of animation and condemn anyone and everyone who dares to suggest it isn't as a hater or a troll. These people don't learn. If they did, they wouldn't be Robotech fans.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

And how could a $5,000-tier be full? You don't want people to drop a wad of cash on you? So they're saying they don't need the money? I guess everyone should pull back their money then cuz they reached their goal.

:lol:

Nice. You are right, though. Other Kickstarter projects have added more reward tiers, and there is still time for this one. I wouldn't be surprised if another $5,000 pledge shows up in two weeks or less. I think they backed themselves into a corner with the first pledge description. Specifically:

"You'll be given the option to have your likeness made into a background character for the "Robotech Academy" pilot!"

(Gerli posted the complete pledge description on page 2 of this thread. It's ironic and funny.)

And I have no idea what that really means. But I can imagine something like this: A select group of people giving a frame by frame analysis to find their anime icon on random cells for bragging rights.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1381502542/robotech-academy/posts/910479

Gentlemen, I think we may have to say it's a little more likely this is Harmony Gold's attempt to knock off Macross Frontier... meet the poor man's Macross Quarter.