Robotech Academy - You want a new Robotech series...?

...THEN PAY US... or not... we'll keep trying though...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1381502542/robotech-academy?ref=discovery

minichart.png

begging chronicles 2014

Link

**********Sidekick probability of success site**************

Let's play devil's advocate.

So it was Carl's idea to use the interwebs to fund a new Robotech series. So if that fails, will Carl get the blame by all those rabid, silly RT fans? So Tommy will throw Carl under the bus if this fails?

If this does get funded and they fail to make the delivery date, what then? It's a well known KS-projects suffer delays.

For those of you guests and lurkers that were thinking of donating money, let me remind you, you are giving money away with the chance that this does not launch. This is a RISK. The same risk venture capitalists take on projects. I'm sure HG has approached networks before and most have looked at the numbers and said "Not interested". If you want your money back, Kickstarter does not issue refunds. Refunds are issued at the discretion of the project starter. The big projects on Kickstarter are working because they are actually feasible and will likely work when they launch, i.e. the risk is worth it. Those of you who actually donated to this project should be asking all tough questions. What's the plan? Who is on-board to write, direct, design, etc? How will you distribute this? If this project goes to a full series, will you approach companies for sponsors? Which companies would you look at to sponsor. By putting money into this project, you need to be checking in on them like any project sponsor. You better be checking in on them to see if your money is being well spent.

Let's say this project does get off the ground, but fails after launch. Will you fans and project backers blame the producers for the failed project? Look at the track record of the production company. Robotech 3000? Didn't launch. Sequel to Shadow Chronicles? Still in development hell. Love, Live Alive was a reuse of a old production with ~5 minutes of new footage.

THIS THREAD IS NOT ABOUT MACROSS OR HG'S LICENSING OF MACROSS. THIS THREAD IS ONLY ABOUT HG'S ROBOTECH KICKSTARTER. IF YOU WISH TO LEARN MORE ABOUT MACROSS LICENSING, READ THIS THREAD FIRST: http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=36541

YOU CAN ALSO PM ANY MODERATOR FOR MORE DETAILS.

ANY FURTHER ATTEMPTS TO TALK ABOUT MACROSS LICENSING WILL RESULT IN TOPICS BEING LOCKED.

Edited by azrael

Oh for pity's sake...

When people suggested that Harmony Gold try funding more Robotech via Kickstarter, they were being sarcastic. It's one thing to have Harmony Gold's own staff tell people that their management thinks Robotech is such a wasted investment that they won't even put their own money behind it unless they absolutely have to, and then to see proof that they've given up hoping that someone else would come along and agree to fund their mess. It's quite another to see that they've finally given up any pretense of that godawful mess being successful and are now begging fans to fund the next wretched abortion because they can't even make a sound business case to themselves.

I wonder if the remaining Robotech fans are really gullible enough to fund that mess, since the Robotech tabletop game kickstarter's turned into a goddamn fiasco. They probably are, and that's just tragic.

Also, a 2015 target release date? Pfft... yeah right. These clowns missed their own release target for their last planned sequel by... seven years and counting?

Edited by Seto Kaiba

They want money?

Desperation has taken hold.....

Don't you mean the greatest guilt trip/ultimatum of all time? Half a million dollars or the fans potentially kill the franchise. And with a vague premise sounding like Voltron Force, who wouldn't "invest" in it?

Academy? Does not sound appealing. Also, they made Shadow Chronicles... how was that not the pilot for the new series?

I think by now it's safe to say that Shadow Chronicles, despite what people said in reviews and that award it "won," was a franchise killer all those years ago.

Edited by Einherjar

This does show how little Harmony Gold is willing to do to "bring" Robotech to its fans. They are all just slimey investors trying to bleed the franchise for every little penny then can without putting any time or money into it. Honesty who are these RT fans that are naive enough to fund this? I expect in a years time we'll be hearing complaints how HG has run off with their money with no pilot done (or even any work on it done).

Also, they made Shadow Chronicles... how was that not the pilot for the new series?

Eh... it was, on paper anyway. The Shadow Chronicles "movie" was supposed to be the first episode of what would be either a 3- or 4-part OVA, but the development and production of the second episode was put on indefinite hiatus almost right away because they convinced themselves that the proposed live-action movie would make Robotech a hot Hollywood property and land them an actual budget via outside investors. Didn't work, as you probably guessed, so the second episode probably won't ever come out.

"I thought the punishment happened after the crime." So I am going to save criticism until if and when Harmony Gold actually does something wrong. For now I think using kickstarter is actually a brilliant move. Instead of running the risk of losing money through piracy and online file-sharing of the final product you get the fans to fund the media production up front then hand them out there DVDs later as part of the rewards package.

"Please fund our new series so you can go out and buy it on video." Double dipping at its finest!

Not if your one of the first 250 backers to pledge $20 or more.

"Pledge $20 or more

CORPORAL 1ST CLASS: For the first 250 backers, you'll get a digital copy of the "Robotech Academy" pilot..."

What the damn hell!?

*Looks at Robotech.com*

It's actually real.

Yep, a little late in the year for an April Fools' joke... though anyone not suffering a recent head wound could be forgiven for thinking it really was one.

I cannot believe how risk averse they really are, I mean seriously. This shows how little faith Frank has in the 'creative staff'. Why not drek-can them and start over with someone at least partially competent?

Put bluntly... because Robotech is a much-maligned virtual non-entity with an unbroken track record of abject failure, owned by a company that treats it like a hobby because it's a money pit with a minimal return-on-investment under the best plausible working conditions and accordingly won't throw any more than the absolute bare minimum budget at it. None of those things are going to attract any professional who's actually qualified to do the jobs they need done.

That's why Harmony Gold's Robotech staff is made up on ascended fanboys with largely irrelevant skill sets... because nobody who isn't already a fan would be foolish enough to think that was a career with ANY future potential. People go into a business like cinema hoping for fame and fortune, not ridicule and a paycheck that barely covers SoCal's cost of living.

If this is, in fact, a case of Frank Agrama having no confidence or faith in the "creative staff", who could possibly argue that lack of faith is unwarranted?

Edited by Seto Kaiba

So, will this be one of those academy/high school show with lot of fan service?

From their pitch, which is mostly "This was Carl Macek's idea, honest!" it sounds like a series made entirely out of the Wesley episodes of Star Trek: the Next Generation.

Oh for pity's sake...

When people suggested that Harmony Gold try funding more Robotech via Kickstarter, they were being sarcastic. It's one thing to have Harmony Gold's own staff tell people that their management thinks Robotech is such a wasted investment that they won't even put their own money behind it unless they absolutely have to, and then to see proof that they've given up hoping that someone else would come along and agree to fund their mess. It's quite another to see that they've finally given up any pretense of that godawful mess being successful and are now begging fans to fund the next wretched abortion because they can't even make a sound business case to themselves.

I wonder if the remaining Robotech fans are really gullible enough to fund that mess, since the Robotech tabletop game kickstarter's turned into a goddamn fiasco. They probably are, and that's just tragic.

Also, a 2015 target release date? Pfft... yeah right. These clowns missed their own release target for their last planned sequel by... seven years and counting?

Just FYI, the only real "debacle" for the tabletop game is the fact Palladium has never met a deadline, ever. It's in production now and people will receive them soon. The "issue" with having to assemble the game pieces was really only due to a lot of fans not understanding that tabletop games require construction before play.

Everything else... yeah, you're right.

So I am going to save criticism until if and when Harmony Gold actually does something wrong. For now I think using kickstarter is actually a brilliant move. Instead of running the risk of losing money through piracy and online file-sharing of the final product you get the fans to fund the media production up front then hand them out there DVDs later as part of the rewards package.

Up to now, they've never begged the public in helping pitch their ideas to networks and other companies, who will ultimately the ones financing the entire series. People will be paying for just one episode up front, and the piracy would happen regardless of being a Kickstarter or not.

Also, Creavision, the company that "worked" on Robotech: Love Live Alive, will be animating it.

So, will this be one of those academy/high school show with lot of fan service?

Imagine Voltron Force, I guess.

Edited by Einherjar

Just FYI, the only real "debacle" for the tabletop game is the fact Palladium has never met a deadline, ever. It's in production now and people will receive them soon.

So Palladium claims... but everyone involved knows that's a load. It's already over a year late, and won't be ready for at least a few more months, never mind the quality issues. What made it a debacle is the massive PR fiasco it turned into because of the game's lateness, the perceived inadequacy of the response to the quality issues, the lack of clear direction, and the many times Palladium lied to the backers and then got caught in those lies courtesy of their own news posts. That feeling of betrayal they'd fostered so well in the hearts of the backers has effectively killed any future potential the game might've had... and if the couple comments posted on the Robotech Academy Kickstarter are any indication, poisoned the well both for future expansions and for this new Robotech Kickstarter.

Hahahaha, really?

Also, Creavision, the company that "worked" on Robotech: Love Live Alive, will be animating it.

Creavision was the studio that made the FanFilm early this year... you know, the C&D letter fiasco.

https://www.facebook.com/CreavisionFilms

Nos enorgullece comunicarles que somos parte del equipo que llevará a cabo la serie "Robotech Academy" a traves de la plataforma de Kickstarter. Pronto daremos mas novedades!!
Were proud to announce that we are part of the team who will make the Robotech Academy serie through kikcstarter platform. More news soon.

Sorry about my crappy english

So Palladium claims... but everyone involved knows that's a load. It's already over a year late, and won't be ready for at least a few more months, never mind the quality issues. What made it a debacle is the massive PR fiasco it turned into because of the game's lateness, the perceived inadequacy of the response to the quality issues, the lack of clear direction, and the many times Palladium lied to the backers and then got caught in those lies courtesy of their own news posts. That feeling of betrayal they'd fostered so well in the hearts of the backers has effectively killed any future potential the game might've had... and if the couple comments posted on the Robotech Academy Kickstarter are any indication, poisoned the well both for future expansions and for this new Robotech Kickstarter.

I'm not sure who "everybody" is who knows it won't be ready for a few more months but they've shown all, or close to all, of the completed sprues, boxes, manuals, etc... now. There's no quality issues I'm aware of, other then people who don't understand how to build a miniature throwing a giant internet hissy fit. As I said, Palladium is always late. Over a year late is par for the course for them on every book they've ever released. I honestly don't know of any lies you're referring to specifically, if you have a list I would like to see it.

Not wanting to back this project makes sense for MANY reasons since it can't be anything more than terrible (advertising the writer is the same one from Shadow Chronicles is like asking people to NOT back it) in addition to never being finished (Robotech 3000, Shadow Chronicles itself, etc...), par for the course for anything planned by Harmony Gold. But mixing up Harmony Gold and Palladium is just more of the same misunderstanding some hot-heads who can't figure out how to glue/paint a miniature would make.

(...) Palladium is always late. Over a year late is par for the course for them on every book they've ever released. (...)

You're not the only one saying it.

I was picking up their books 20+ years ago*, and they were always late then. It's Palladium's business model.

* Geez, has it been that long?

It is laughable.

However, guys. Let it go. Discuss it somewhere else.

Robot*ch should really not be discussed over here at MacrossWorld forum.

We don't really want to get some trolls and other stuff into MW-forum.

MWF is not and never that lacking of anything more interesting to discuss and stuff than RT.

Wow, so much negatively. I was gonna buy one of the $35 dvd packages.

What reason is there to not be negative? Harmony Gold isn't good for Macross, it isn't good for Robotech, it isn't good for anything.

It is laughable.

MWF is not and never that lacking of anything more interesting to discuss and stuff than RT.

I appreciate the sentiment, but this is basically MW's off-topic section so RT can be discussed here. If there are trolls, I'm sure the mods have suitably large banhammers. :D

Edited by VF-15 Banshee

It is laughable.

Come on... let us have some fun... :D

Edited by Gerli

What reason is there to not be negative? Harmony Gold isn't good for Macross, it isn't good for Robotech, it isn't good for anything.

I appreciate the sentiment, but this is basically MW's off-topic section so RT can be discussed here. If there are trolls, I'm sure the mods have suitably large banhammers. :D

Actually, when you think about it, this is actually cause for TREMENDOUS good cheer.

Harmony Gold is clearly desperate and at the end of their rope as far as keeping Robotech limping along goes. If the Robotech Academy project ends in disaster, as it almost certainly will, this could possibly be the final straw for Robotech that gets them out of Macross's way in the US... or at least makes them more receptive to coordinating Macross releases on Big West's terms. :D

Let's hope 2015 will be the end of an error, and the start of an era. :D