Bandai to release Star Wars Model kits

Look like stickers again but at that price you cant expect too much...

Am waiting on more news/product pics of the 1/72 A-wings...

may get it just because of the turbo laser turret stands! :p

My mistake seems the turbo turrets may be a different model altogether...

Edited by seti88

I kinda hope they just release them separately, they are nowhere near the size to properly display next to the 1/72 kits.

As far as the tiny models go.... naaaahhhhh. While I get the idea of trying to appeal to people with limited space, it seems like a lousy idea to prioritize the micro-scale stuff over developing larger models that'll actually display nicely without needing to view them from 1 foot away or less.

I'm going to use the 1/72 kit bases and Turbo Lazer tower with some of the new 1/144-ish x-wings....once these little kits become more readily available and more affordable, those damn things are almost as much as the 1/72 kits on Amazon!

Chris

The 1/144 kits are nowhere near as detailed as the 1/72s, specifically with the X-Wings, they left most of the gun mount details off completely, leaving the fronts of them as blank cylinders.

And as good as Bandai might be at making stickers that look decent from a distance, the distance required for them to look good means you'll barely even be able to see the kits at that size.

I'm all for smaller scaled kits of the bigger ships, but the entire concept seems to be based on the whole "box scaled" nonsense they're going after now, so I wouldn't be surprised if they released kits of everything that wind up roughly the same size, only a few inches long.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I know the Interceptor came with a spare gray window frame from sprue duplication, but I don't think there was extra glass.  I think those parts are identical across all releases though.

Also, dangit, I was hoping the bump meant Bandai was finally getting off their backsides and doing the B-Wing and Tie Bomber. :p 

On the plus side, my PG Falcon kit should be shipping in about a week, so I'll have plenty to work on until they get around to them.

Edited by Chronocidal

That's gonna be SWEET -- Can't wait to see pics of it.  I'm patiently waiting on the General Grievous kit to hit Amazon with Prime Shipping for about $30.   I really want to build him.  B- Wing/Tie Bomber and Imperial Shuttle would be awesome as well!

I'm going to confess, I actually love the prop-accurate glass-less frames, just from an "I can build this straight out of the box without having to paint anything" perspective, but for keeping dust out of the cockpits, glass is really the only way to go.

Best of both worlds would be what they did with the 1/48 X-Wing, and have optional glass you snap into the frame, but they seem to have completely abandoned doing any larger scale kits at this point.  A real pity too, I'd be happily fork over the cash for a few 1/48 kits of all the ships.  I'd love a non-electronic X-Wing too, but I've already resorted to converting one of those to run the wings off of a turnkey hidden behind the rear bulkhead.  It still runs off the same gearing, so I don't think the mod requires removing the electronics entirely, but that big honking battery box stand is hideous, and I'd love to be rid of it.

Edited by Chronocidal

Hehe, actually I don't see any reason for that, since this is a different ship.  The Bandai PG one is modeled after the ANH version, while Fine Molds built the ESB modification, with the extra landing gear, and hull sections.  The details are very different between the two.

Edited by Chronocidal

I think Bandai made a brilliant decision to reproduce the original five-footer, and thus avoid direct competition with the FineMolds Falcon.

At 1:72 scale, the FineMolds still represents the finest reproduction of the ESB Falcon, and Bandai's now represents the finest reproduction of the ANH Falcon.  The two complement each other quite well, I think.

2 hours ago, tekering said:

I think Bandai made a brilliant decision to reproduce the original five-footer, and thus avoid direct competition with the FineMolds Falcon.

At 1:72 scale, the FineMolds still represents the finest reproduction of the ESB Falcon, and Bandai's now represents the finest reproduction of the ANH Falcon.  The two complement each other quite well, I think.

7 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Hehe, actually I don't see any reason for that, since this is a different ship.  The Bandai PG one is modeled after the ANH version, while Fine Molds built the ESB modification, with the extra landing gear, and hull sections.  The details are very different between the two.

I like your thinking!  Just trying to justify not buying the Bandai one after I've bought just about every detail kit for the FineMold years ago and its sitting gathering dust in the basement as a retirement project.  It's just the Bandai is so much more detailed and crisper that it makes the FineMold pale in comparison (in fact my 1/144 Bandai MF puts the FineMold to shame).  So hard, to little money and time which is making the decision for me but I'm sure I'll come to regret it years from now.

7 hours ago, electric indigo said:

Time to set the old Fine Molds kit on fire...

Yep, kind of feel like that :(

12 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Just picked this massive thing up from the post office! :D 

perfectfalcon.thumb.jpg.679624dec9a10aa92ca92a46945a27a0.jpg

Congrats!  Can't wait to see you build, please post so I can live vicariously through you. :p