How on earth does MW not have a thread for this show? Well at least I couldn't find it. If I'm wrong, mods please kindly correct my mistake.

This show was one of the titles AnimEigo brought over during the late 80's that helped solidify the notion that mecha is cool. Truth be told, I've forgotten a lot regarding this show ever since our VCR turned to junk many years ago and I really should track a DVD down. BUT what do I remember is that bad ass hand drawn masterpiece that was its introduction, which made a younger version of myself believe the Madox-01 can actually be made:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=N7T-6ThKoJ0

The Madox is one of Shinji Aramaki's classic designs, and merchandising for the show is next to nil. Back then finding models of the Madox was an ordeal, and even more so now. As far as I know, only garage kits have been made sporadically available and recasts are just as hard to find. Anyways, classic mecha design doesn't die. It just gets remembered later on by some dude in his 30's who detonated a nostalgia bomb while digging out his nerd stash in the garage when he should've have been out mowing the lawn on hot ass Saturday afternoon. I digress, check out this fanbuilt Madox with some impressive rendering: 1/35 scale Madox

If there ever was a thread it must be from long long ago, MADOX-01 & Riding Bean were some of the first non-Macross anime I ever watched and holy crap were my eyes opened, that fan built Madox is awesome!

Edited by 505thAirborne

Guest davidwhangchoi

i have madox-01 dvd it's OOP now and will fetch 100-200+sealed. if you're hunting for one, look for a used copy for 40-60 on ebay. they pop up once in a while.

That was the Japanese version of the original "Die Hard"

i had the vhs as well somewhere. so awesome.

(i also have Ba-Oh on dvd as well lol. those two were my favorite 45 mins movies (ova) back in the day... i tried liking "Borgman: Last Battle" but couldn't get into it bc i didn't have subs.

Oh man, I remembered watching this on my cable channel near the late 90s, and wondering why there was only ever 1 OVA ever made.

Come to think of it, the Madox-1 does resemble the anime Starship Troopers powered suit. Except with wings and gatling guns, Perhaps a mod of the Revoltech or Sentinel x T-Rex releases would make for a good base for a Madox-1 Custom

i have madox-01 dvd it's OOP now and will fetch 100-200+sealed. if you're hunting for one, look for a used copy for 40-60 on ebay. they pop up once in a while.

That's ridiculous. Jeebus, I didn't know about it being OOP. I really should have got one when I had the chance.

Oh man, I remembered watching this on my cable channel near the late 90s, and wondering why there was only ever 1 OVA ever made.

Come to think of it, the Madox-1 does resemble the anime Starship Troopers powered suit. Except with wings and gatling guns, Perhaps a mod of the Revoltech or Sentinel x T-Rex releases would make for a good base for a Madox-1 Custom

That would be one expensive custom bash, but I do see the similarities.

If there ever was a thread it must be from long long ago, MADOX-01 & Riding Bean were some of the first non-Macross anime I ever watched and holy crap were my eyes opened, that fan built Madox is awesome!

Same here -- Madox and Bubblegum Crisis for me. I think the mecha designs for both shows were done by the same guy (name escapes me) who did the designs for Mospeada.

• 6 months later...

does anybody know that madox is actually based on an U.S. airforce design. the program was called pitman it ran 2 times. in 1942 en somewhere between 1970-1980. it was based on the idea of making it possible for 1 man to re-arm a bomber. it was canceled because the suite was to dangerous for bystanders.

Guest davidwhangchoi

i still don't want to open my sealed dvd since it's going for an astronomical price now...

Edited by davidwhangchoi

does anybody know that madox is actually based on an U.S. airforce design. the program was called pitman it ran 2 times. in 1942 en somewhere between 1970-1980. it was based on the idea of making it possible for 1 man to re-arm a bomber. it was canceled because the suite was to dangerous for bystanders.

My google-fu must be weak because I couldn't find anything on this.

From what I can gather, Project PITMAN was a 1980's design study done at Los Alamos National Labratory for the US Army. The goal was to produce concepts for possible powered armor suits for infantry and special forces use. Highlights include load bearing capacity of 300lbs plus, Nuclear/biological/chemical protection, and armor capable of stopping up to 50 caliber armor piercing rounds. Nothing ever got past the design stage and a lot of the designs called for theoretical technology that didn't actually exist at the time.

MADOX was an awesome anime and design! What other mecha can you still pilot while eating tempura shrimp to go (if anyone remembers that scene).

There were awesome builds in hobby magazines inclusive of misile and ammo loadouts, but you could never find the kit-it drove me nuts (it was also pre-internet too);-) - MT

Guest davidwhangchoi

From what I can gather, Project PITMAN was a 1980's design study done at Los Alamos National Labratory for the US Army. The goal was to produce concepts for possible powered armor suits for infantry and special forces use. Highlights include load bearing capacity of 300lbs plus, Nuclear/biological/chemical protection, and armor capable of stopping up to 50 caliber armor piercing rounds. Nothing ever got past the design stage and a lot of the designs called for theoretical technology that didn't actually exist at the time.

mind blown :blink: wow, never knew this stuff.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

• 2 months later...
Guest davidwhangchoi

Is it this the piece of lineart you saw?

wow, where did you get that? madox-01 is the original Die Hard which was known as the first action movie in a building

• 10 months later...