Mechapilot77: I think I'll join you in rewatching this. I'm actually curious about the dub after TangledThorns comments above.

Honestly this dub is not bad. I found it a well done dub. I watched the first 3 episodes in Japanese with the ENG subs but then switched to the Eng Dub and I am enjoying it.

Anyone else having issues with ep 10? Netflix on PS3, specifically. Every time I start it, I get different yet similar errors. Namely:

Can't change from CC to sub.

Can't change audio.

On-screen menu overlay never disappears(this almost always happens, in addition to one other error from the list)

Timing counter appears then gets stuck.

Etc. The actual episode will PLAY, but there'll always be some big issue that makes it unwatchable.

It's almost all related to the "controls menu overlay". And it's also a big enough issue that you can't reset from the menu etc, have to do a "go over and hold down the button" reboot.

Completely removing and reinstalling Netflix has done nothing but waste time.

Anyone else having issues with ep 10? Netflix on PS3, specifically. Every time I start it, I get different yet similar errors. Namely:

Can't change from CC to sub.

Can't change audio.

On-screen menu overlay never disappears(this almost always happens, in addition to one other error from the list)

Timing counter appears then gets stuck.

Etc. The actual episode will PLAY, but there'll always be some big issue that makes it unwatchable.

It's almost all related to the "controls menu overlay". And it's also a big enough issue that you can't reset from the menu etc, have to do a "go over and hold down the button" reboot.

Completely removing and reinstalling Netflix has done nothing but waste time.

i did not have an issue with it when i watched, but sometimes netflix in general will have issue with specific episodes of shows or specific movies. no matter what you do it'll be unwatchable for a little while. hasn't happend to me in a a while but when it does...i just do something else or watch something else. for some reason it doesn't say "title not availble at the moment" or whatever there message is from when something is messed up. its like it doesn't know what its trying to stream is messed up. i usually just go back to it a day or two later and it will be fine. i suspect that is what will happen to you too. its annoying but doesn't happen often in my experience.

Second season is already greenlit... Previews are set for October and will start airing early 2015. :D

I'd be interested how successful it was fr Netflix also.

Nice. I have so far enjoyed it a lot.

Second season is already greenlit... Previews are set for October and will start airing early 2015. :D

I'd be interested how successful it was fr Netflix also.

Indeed. Does Netflix ever release viewing figures or statistics? It's be interesting to hear how this is doing. I'd love to see a big player like Netflix co-produce some more anime that might otherwise have a hard time getting green-lit.

Edited by Marzan

My wife and I finished the show tonight - I was avoiding this thread until done, but I see folks have been really conscientious with spoilers.

I don't want to go on a rant, because I feel like the only one here with a negative overall impression. I'll just say that it felt like the "concept car" of mecha anime shows - a gleaming vision of innovation and futuristic ideas, which is actually built on old stock parts and barely runs. We kept waiting and waiting for the series to surprise us, and instead it delivered trope after tired trope. Uh, bear notwithstanding.

But, here's what I liked!

- The look of the show is amazing. Very high quality animation with a style that didn't look like much I've seen before (maybe hints of Ergo Proxy or Last Exile, but that might have just been the outfits). I've seen folks complain about the heavy use of CG, but I thought it fit the gardes very well and I didn't notice any jarring overlap with traditional animation. My only gripe was that the daring look of the show, with its super-washed-out palette, got uncomfortable to watch for extended periods. But it seemed somewhere around the midpoint the animators had the same thought, and warmed colors started to creep in.

- Unique mecha design. Mind you, even though Tanikaze's garde was apparently an older model from another company made a hundred years earlier than everyone else's, I still couldn't tell it apart after twelve episodes (the shape of the chest?) But the gardes in general looked cool as heck and I don't think I could confuse them with any other show's mecha.

- Izana. I thought it was neat to have a character with such an unusual sexual identity. It made him/her more interesting, and also made his/her role as "the best friend who is obviously smitten with the protagonist but the protagonist doesn't notice" much more believable. What might have otherwise been cheap gags with people getting his/her gender wrong, or inserting themselves between him/her and Tanikaze, had actual significance because of that detail.

- Opening and Ending themes were freaking awesome. Catchy, exciting, and fit well to the animation. Props to Eri Kitamura for singing the ending and voicing the interchangeable Luka-Megurine-lookin' clones.

- Netflix. Good to see them directly licensing a show and making it available so soon after the Japanese airing. Honestly, by the end we were watching just to boost the numbers and encourage them to get more shows in the future. I do feel like it could be a good "ambassador" show for new viewers; most of my dislike was of an "I've seen this a hundred times before" nature (although, considering how much old hands here liked it, maybe I'm off base).

Anyhow, it would take a lot to get my wife and I on board for a season two, but I'll certainly be curious to see how folks react when it happens. From the folks who have read the manga, it sounds like there may be more interesting stuff going on than what I saw in these twelve episodes.

Good post Nekko with some very valid points. As for the second season, I think it will be a mixed bag for most (provided they stick to the manga). There will be some very interesting new developments and plot but also

a very jarring tendency to increase the romantic/comedic aspects of the story that have made some readers begin to call it

Harem of Sidonia. And a very weird harem Tanikaze will have to say the least. Aliens with tentacles, elder pilots, robots..you name it..

I'm kinda hoping that for the anime they will tone that down a bit and focus more on the battle with the Gauna and how the captain has manged her affairs on the ship.

I've started watching this and while I like it, I have to admit that the character animation felt a bit stiff to me compared to traditional animation. Series like this and Appleseed XIII, while very enjoyable still have a bit to go. I'm very interested to see how the cgi for the character scenes progresses in future productions.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So we now have the release dates for the blurays and know that the first volume comes with a new manga by Nihei.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2015/01/24-1/knights-of-sidonia-battle-for-planet-nine-blu-ray-1st-volume-comes-with-a-new-manga

All I need to know now is if Netflix is picking this up too.

Guest davidwhangchoi

So we now have the release dates for the blurays and know that the first volume comes with a new manga by Nihei.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2015/01/24-1/knights-of-sidonia-battle-for-planet-nine-blu-ray-1st-volume-comes-with-a-new-manga

All I need to know now is if Netflix is picking this up too.

i'm waiting for this and young justice season 2 on netflix

Edited by davidwhangchoi

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I know I'm a little late in the game for chatting about this anime, but I just started watching this last night, figured I'd watch an episode before going to bed, but couldn't stop.....I got in about 4 episodes before I realized I'd regret it in the morning, lol!

yep, was definitely worth it, too bad I blitzed through the whole thing already.....now I have to wait a lifetime for season 2, dammit!

I'm halfway thru season 2... started off good but then slowed down in the middle where main characters sit around and talk to a giant talking penus.

I'm being serious... screen caps on request... lol.

Hopefully it speeds back up.

I'm halfway thru season 2... started off good but then slowed down in the middle where main characters sit around and talk to a giant talking penus.

I'm being serious... screen caps on request... lol.

Hopefully it speeds back up.

It does pick up soon....., but I must say it gets weirder and weirder with every chapter in the manga. Although it's not boring that's for sure.

The little girl/alien hybrid thing was pretty creepy. I can't wait for the show to get started again...

Still some weeks until it comes out on Netflix ( cannot find it licensed yet anywhere else) and I'm really looking forward to it despite the weird romcom atmosphere it gets at some point.

Rom coms are forever. I must admit that "My Best Friend's Wedding" was on my playlist for quite some time...

Rom coms are forever. I must admit that "My Best Friend's Wedding" was on my playlist for quite some time...

Hey, I don't mind the ocassional romcom or high school drama either. It's just a bit jarring when you start off with a very dystopian sci-fi series with a weird atmosphere to go into that direction. But I love Sidonia nonetheless. It's crazy enjoyable.