Trailer says all episodes July 4th.

I will probably check out. Not a big fan of the character design(really dislike that look that has become popular in the past 10-15 years) but the story/mecha looks cool.

Edit: whoops, sorry I didn't know a thread had already been created. My apologies.

Anyone know anything about this series? While I love Macross, unless it involves sci-fi or giant robots, I generally don't follow anime/manga in general.

http://io9.com/netflix-gets-into-the-anime-licensing-game-with-knights-1597188356

Edited by SuperSenpai

Edit: whoops, sorry I didn't know a thread had already been created. My apologies.

Anyone know anything about this series? While I love Macross, unless it involves sci-fi or giant robots, I generally don't follow anime/manga in general.

http://io9.com/netflix-gets-into-the-anime-licensing-game-with-knights-1597188356

It's an adaption of the manga by Tsutomi Nihei who's done stuff like Biomega and Blame!. He has a very distinctive style (has influences from for example Enki Bilal and H.R Gieger) and all his stories have a sci-fi/cyberpunk theme. Knights of Sidonia is by far his most accessible work and is ongoing. It's basically his take on the classic shounen mecha hero story, but with a lot more hard sci-fi angle. I'd definitely, definitely recommend it to fans of Macross in general. It has a lot of similarities in content (while not in style).

The first season of Sidonia did well enough in Japan to get a second season and I'm really interested in seeing what kind of response the first season gets on Netflix.

LOL, yeah Lalah, that character's called. It's a nod to a character in Biomega called Kozlov (a scientist who transfers his body into a bears to avoid being infected with a virus). Why Nihei decided to include another bear in Sidonia is a big mistery to me though.

Try Entering Knights of Sidonia into search; though it will pop up by the time you get to "of".

I did, came up with no matches, Knights alone came up with two, Sidonia on its own came up with zilch. Will try again later, strange things happen with the netflix cooked into my TV.

Came up fine in the search on the PS4 app. Watched and enjoyed the first season yesturday, can't wait for the second. Did anyone else get a najor Megazone 23 Part 2 / Ergo Proxy vibe?

Japanese audio is available with various subtitles (including English). Speaking of which, I need to reconfigure Netflix so that it stops choosing closed captioning automatically.

Maybe it's nostalgia from long distant Battlestar Galactica memories, but nothing beats a good catapult scene in space!

This series was a lot of fun. I have no regrets having a marathon KoS weekend.

I'm surprised that Netflix didn't do a bigger PR effort for what it their first foray into anime co-production. You have to know what you're looking for to find it.

I'm surprised how close they stayed to the manga. I would have thought they would have dialled down the "weirdness" factor a bit, but they kept it intact.

The second season is going to be amazing.

So it's like Macross, Gunbuster, and Xenogears mashed together. And Sephiroth. I guess they just wanted to work him into the story.

I dug it, but what's up with the talking bear? And it would be nice if they explained what ENA is. Oh, and the subs on Netflix need some serious retooling.

Edited by Duke Togo

Xenogears? Maybe, I was thinking more Megazone 23 Part II, but potato potahto. As for Ena, I got the impression it was the remote portions of Guana, sometimes tentacles, sometimes... Well you know.

Other translations that I've seen use "true body", if that helps...

And xenogears, that's another series that they should reboot! With chogokin! I'd buy a weltalll 2 even if it had exploding triangle shoulders (and keep one or two MISB, as I've learned from macross world members)!

The translations that Netflix used are different from those of the manga where the term "placenta" is used instead of "ena". I don't know if it's a better translation from japanese, but I wouldn't be surprised if Netflix being a broad audience website might have decided to avoid the minefield of using the word "placenta"

So it's like Macross, Gunbuster, and Xenogears mashed together. And Sephiroth. I guess they just wanted to work him into the story.

I dug it, but what's up with the talking bear? And it would be nice if they explained what ENA is. Oh, and the subs on Netflix need some serious retooling.

About the bear (abundant spoilers from the manga if you so wish )

It's a life support suit for the person inside, Lalah Hiyama. Why she would choose that option, instead of making use of the advanced cloning technology they have in Sidonia to make another body, is probably related to her disgust at the methods of the immortal crew society.

But at the end of the day, it's just a whim on the mangaka's part. He really likes his bears and had another one also randomly appearing in another of his works.