Master Made SD-style SDF-1 "Makuros"

Max1984

Fell asleep :o

Review is up:

My throughts are that Master Made are definitely a big fans of Macross toys. The transformation and details are similar to other SDF efforts, and keeping in mind this is a SD toy, you can forgive some parts forming for a giant head. That's the point. If you've owned other SDF toys you'll feel at home.

What makes it stand out on it's own to me is the paint job and the character of the piece coming from the SD style.

It's really fun to handle and play with, where a lot of SDF toys might not be.

It's also a good value for the quality of plastic and the extras. $100 bucks isn't bad at all.

I think if MM will make sure the boom canons are tight, the the hand/ARMD's stay on they will have a huge hit here.

I don't really foresee any major QA issues in terms of breakage either. I never felt I was going to break anything even though I had to push the midsection pretty hard.

I def, suggest you buy it if you have any interest in it. It's fun!

Edited by Gakken85

I think it's cool the head can pop off for transformation. A 4th party, or MM, could even make a smaller head for this eventually, if there was a demand for it, as an accessory.

I just saw in the video that the back cannons can spread / distance themselves from the center. That is great, and really gives the look I wanted.

Just wish there was a little locking mechanism for the arms and head.

Also, I have seen it much in pictures, but it seems the underside in ship mode is a bit too big compared to other sdf-1 toys? Not sure, but depending where you put this, it shouldn't be an issue (in my case, I was going to place it higher than all my valks, so might have to do more bot mode and ship.

Edited by Arthurius

I see that early 2000's cover of My Boyfriend is a Pilot has become one of your favorites.

Love that track.

And yes, I think it's worth $100 bucks for sure. As long as they tighten it up a bit, keep the same level of paint detail in the finished product.. it seems like a home run.

Arthurius -

I think I filmed some extra footage of the ship upside down. I can up that too at some point. I filmed a lot and cut a lot out.

It's hard to say with a SD toy what's too big and what isn't.

The head doesn't really need to lock. I was shaking it pretty good and it wouldn't come off.

But I think the Hands need some love, as I mentioned.

Amanandawoman -

I love the hands and the standalone option. The cover is a little hard to get off, but Lunar let me know that they are aware of that.

Eriku -

Thanks bud. The ball joint on the hips is pretty mobile. I might not have shown the range of motion well enough but I got more than expected.

Jvmacross -

Hard to say since they are such different kinds of toys and targets. A Yamcadia is such a slick and polished mould that strives for realism. The Frontier Valk is also a slick and well designed piece that wants a hyper-realism. Is this piece as developed or nice as those? I can't say that to be honest.

Its exaggerated and bulky by design, and meant to be handled for fun instead of transformed and displayed as a model surrogate.

I can say, having handled MP's, Yamato's, Frontier Valks, and 3rd party transformers it feels right around MP quality in terms of plastic, maybe a bit below a Frontier Valk. (Thought Frontier Valks have their own issues with loose joints and breaks!) But those pieces have a lot more moving parts and materials.

This whole piece is just hard plastic, but of a high quality, not counting the see through bits. Sturdy, but not the same mix of metal and plastic pieces.

The engineering is pretty simple too, obviously. It's built around that middle locking piece with the < slide to move around for the transformation. Beyond a few ratchet joints there isn't a lot that can break or go wrong.

With some 3p's it feels too tight or "hard" in some places, and too loose and "weak "in others. There was a nice uniform feel to the plastic and the joints. Also, as I mentioned several times the paint job is top notch.

Hope that answers your questions in some way.

Edited by Gakken85

Guest davidwhangchoi

I can say, having handled MP's, Yamato's, and 3rd party transformers it feels right around MP quality in terms of plastic, maybe a bit below a frontier Valk. But those pieces have a lot more moving parts and materials.

With some 3p's it feels too tight or block in some places, and too loose and weak in others. There was a nice uniform feel to the plastic and the joints. Also, as I mentioned several times the paint job is top notch.

thanks Gak for this piece of insight.

NP.

I don't think anybody will feel ripped off with this toy. If you like SD and SDF1 you're gonna enjoy it.

You guys know that I don't pull punches on my opinions. Evilcat/Lunar is a pal and I want to help him sell units, but if I thought it was junk I would say so.

He did me a great turn by letting me review this early, but I'm not making any money off it, or getting a freebee. and it took 3-4 hours to get the video the way I wanted.

I enjoyed working it up and getting all the info down for you guys.

Also, I mailed it out to EXO today so he can do an official MW write up for you guys, per Lunars request.

So keep an eye out for that if you have more questions in mind.

Edited by Gakken85

Thanks for the reply...I only collect Macross and this will be my first "mass produced" 3P product.......based on the pics alone, it sort of has a Bandai look to the plastic but also a Yamato/Arcadia aesthetic, in terms of just the right amount of paint application/tampo printing...as opposed to Bandai's sometimes "over the top" application of detail. Ironically, this little guy seems better painted/detailed than the Yamato 1/3000 DYRL SDF-1, which essentially was just the kit put together for you by Yamato.

I'll say that the guys who made this are fans of Yamato and Bandai.

You can see it in the paint apps, the transformation, and the stand.

They definitely have a 1/3000 to base a lot of things off of, so you should feel comfortable knowing that it's made by fans for fans.

Hey Gakken,

Thanks for the reply. Another question for you:

You mentioned it is very playable. Can you pls elaborate on this. I have 3rd party toys from MMC (feralcons and hex), and they are very sturdy and playable (can even throw them on the wall without any fear). I also have FP Columpio and eventhough joints are much looser, with care, I can transform it back and forth every day, and basically pose it and have fun with it. Does this thing feel like it can be transformed a lot and changing poses, like every day for a while anyways? I usually don't this with my Yamato valks nor my MPs. Not expecting to do this, but the thought of it has me very excited.

And yes, the overall look (and nice detailing), amazing paint, stand, and little valks are really HUGE bonuses for this price range.

Edited by Arthurius

I had a hard time unlocking the chest. One one hand I didn't want to break it, especially since it isn't my property, but I'm usually as gentle as possible. I spent a lot of time locking and unlock, and moving the bits around and I never felt it would snap or degrade signifcantly.

That said, I transformed it for a good hour. You can see in the video when I show the inner part of the chest it's a really study mechanism.

Nothing feels like it would wear out or get loose other than the boom canons. They feel a bit loose and I could maybe see them drooping over time, but Lunar mentioned that they are aware of a lot of the loose areas and are going to tighten them up.

Also keep in mind that this is a test shot, so it's been tested by other people. It's already been transformed a lot I'm sure, and it was still really rugged and tight.

Block of some time. It's 37 min haha.

Good review! Pretty much covered everything I needed to know. Also...those two ships are ARMD01 and ARMD02 ;)

...which reminds me, I agree that they should make a TV version and give us Prometheus and Daedalus too! Hell, just make a third add-on pack and give us the ships with a bunch of the other Valks. Only thing I would suggest for them (probably way too late at this point) is to make the neck peg a locking type peg where you have to twist the head fully to the side to pull it off. Facing forward you can pick it up by the head and it would stay locked to the body. I think that would've been nicer. Otherwise, no biggie. This is a very good entry to third party Macross and the colors and tampo are especially nice!

I like how the related videos all showed up as "Solid State Drive Review!" for me. :lol:

Gakken's review for this on youtube is what actually brought me to this forum.

I saw his post for it on Sideshow Freaks forum then watched the vid. Then when he mentioned this forum in the video I was like wait there's a macross forum?!

So here I am. Oh and I'm buying this too. I love the SD stuff. My favorite robotech toy is my VF-1A joke machine.

Gakken's review for this on youtube is what actually brought me to this forum.

I saw his post for it on Sideshow Freaks forum then watched the vid. Then when he mentioned this forum in the video I was like wait there's a macross forum?!

So here I am. Oh and I'm buying this too. I love the SD stuff. My favorite robotech toy is my VF-1A joke machine.

Welcome! My VF-1S Joke Machine is my favorite. Had one when I was a kid, lost it, then bought one as an adult when I joined the MW forums. That was like 13 years ago. Hey you bastards I'm still here! ^_^

Edited by eriku

Welcome! My VF-1S Joke Machine is my favorite. Had one when I was a kid, lost it, then bought one as an adult when I joined the MW forums. That was like 13 years ago. Hey you bastards I'm still here! ^_^

Tangent: I CANNOT stop staring at your avatar.