Master Made SD-style SDF-1 "Makuros"

Max1984

I could no longer resist! Pre-ordered from Lunar! :) I'm going to have to put it right next to my Yammie SDF-1. And now it makes me think I really should get some of the Metal Box SD Valks...*sigh*. Someone should make a SD Monster, Mwhahahaha.

You can find one on a sitE 2046 clicks away from here, if you don't mind buying a recast.

Oh ok, fair enough and thanks for the explanation.

I'm sure he's in this thread somewhere saying he either intended to or has preordered. So we should get a review from him in any case.

Yep, I have preordered. This is the first time I've done business with Lunar so I didn't reach out asking to do a review. I figure if I'm going to do a review of something early then I should definitely throw in an advertisement for whoever makes that possible and that's not something I'd want to do without having had some first hand experience first. I definitely will be doing a review though when I get mine in hand. Thanks for suggesting me though. Looks like we're in pretty capable hands with the folks who were selected.

I'm likin' what I'm seein'.

Three questions:

1) How much diecast if any and does it have a good heft?

2) How is the plastic quality?

3) How much parts-forming if there is any?

Edited by xrentonx

Some basic questions

a) Plastic looks to be good quality? What does it compare to?

b) Tightness of joints. Also, pls state what type of joints (ball or ratchet) are: Shoulders, Elbows, Hips, Knees, feet. Also, if ball joints, does it seem easy to remove part to add future floor or tape to tighten?

c) Locking mechanisms and Tabs for both mode, making it not floppy. Are there some obvious ones missing, and which ones are included.

d) Does it feel like it can be transformed over and over, or does it feel fragile and we should just leave it in one mode?

e) Back Cannon range of motion in "bot" mode and figure stability when not using the stand

f) Stability of Stand. Ie, even when having the back cannons facing the front and arms fully extended to the front, will the stand hold the pose, or is it too light duty and figure could fall?

g) Can the arms indeed be fully extended in the front, say in firing mode, without them losing the pose due to gravity and looseness of the joints? This is sort of a repeat of "b", but more specific.

Thanks in advance

3) How much parts-forming if there is any?

Based on the pictures, there doesn't seem to be any need for any parts-forming here, aside from maybe the head/bridge and the definition of parts-forming. I just don't see a way for it to get past the cannons without taking it off and then putting it back on.

There's just one thing about the sample pics that I'm wondering. Is cruiser mode mis-transformed or are the main cannons simply not capable of sliding back to cover the blocks that the arms are connected to due to the SD proportions? It kind of looks like they could.

Edit: Is it too late to tell them that the "01" and "02" on the ARMDs should be flipped? The ARMDs themselves are correct, but the numbering on them aren't.

Edited by MacrossJunkie

Just saw Peaugh's review and this thing looks awesome. Only thing was...did he really need to remove the shoulder guns or can he just pop off the arms and rotate the shoulder guns?

You can pull the Arms out. They just peg in nice and tight. but I guess they'll suggest you pop the arm canons. It is a lot easier that way to pull the arms now that I think about it.

Edited by Gakken85

Just saw Peaugh's review and this thing looks awesome. Only thing was...did he really need to remove the shoulder guns or can he just pop off the arms and rotate the shoulder guns?

You can leave the shoulder guns on, but looking at earlier photos they definitely attach to completely different posts in cruiser mode vs robot form.

Yeah, the side parts just pull out of the head.

Thanks Peaugh! Great review and liked your photography page. :)

They do. It's technically the third "parts forming" aspect... but it's more to achieve the pose than to transform.

Thanks Saburo. I owe it all to you :D

Thanks for the info. You are welcome, glad to be of help but the photographs are all you. :D I don't mind parts forming, looking to forward to watching your review.

The SD SDF-1 is going to be a fun and awesome addition to my collection.

Edited by Saburo

You can leave the shoulder guns on, but looking at earlier photos they definitely attach to completely different posts in cruiser mode vs robot form.

Thanks for clarifying. I keep forgetting you have an account here :)

Great review too! Watched it as soon as it showed up in my feed on Youtube B))

You never finished the SD canon shoulder transformation. They slide out to the sides to make room for the head.

The three things I'd suggest they work on

1. The hand ships need to lock a bit tighter. It falls a bit when you're transforming.

2. The Prometheus and Daedalus canons with the yellow plastic pops off really easily. Just needs to be firmly glued.

3. The Ship deck/Overtech SD canons need to be tightened up.

Evilcat mentioned that they are aware of some looseness and plain on tightening it up, but honestly for a test shot I was impressed with the lack of flop overall.

I also didn't get the feeling that any joints were "too tight" like I have with some 3rd parties. Very professional presentation in hand. The arm on the stand is a bitch to separate though. I had to grab a hairdryer.

Edited by Gakken85

You never finished the SD canon shoulder transformation. They slide out to the sides to make room for the head.

Yeah, I was using online photos to figure out the transformation, I only saw the shoulder canons slid out in your pictures AFTER I had made the video live. LOL.

Evilcat mentioned that they are aware of some looseness and plain on tightening it up, but honestly for a test shot I was impressed with the lack of flop overall.

I also didn't get the feeling that any joints were "too tight" like I have with some 3rd parties. Very professional presentation in hand. The arm on the stand is a bitch to separate though. I had to grab a hairdryer.

I totally agree. Very polished for even a near final test shot. If they fix the things that evilcat mentioned they're already aware of, like the arm tightness and such, it'll pretty much be perfect. It's a great little addition to your Macross shelf.