1/72 ES-11D Cat's Eye Reconnaissance

CrazyDude

Any builds planned yet..?

I just got mine too, but it will be sitting on the To Do Shelf for a while yet.

Just FYI, here's what I hope to be putting onto the dome... :wub:

910574_m_zps81a49a2f.jpg

Tsk, Tsk, Thom! What would Commander Hayse say?

Speaking of which, I so regret now selling the resin kit I had of her from the 'Do you Remember Love' movie.

And this Cat's Eye kit is gorgeous. I'm glad to see it sell out just to reaffirm interest in 'classic' era Macross kits.

Edited by Aurora-7

I got my kit this weekend and was surprised to see that they replaced the turbofan part in the engine inlet with a flat plate. It seems like it would have looked much nicer with the fan visible, I wonder why they changed it.

But other than that, it's a beautiful kit.

I would think you could argue that the engines (the wing mounted ones anyway) are for space use so a turbofan wouldn't make sense.

I read somewhere, and I don't know if it's canon, that the engined mounted to the fuselage are the airbreathing engines for atmospheric flight.

I got my kit this weekend and was surprised to see that they replaced the turbofan part in the engine inlet with a flat plate. It seems like it would have looked much nicer with the fan visible, I wonder why they changed it.

But other than that, it's a beautiful kit.

I thought it was purposely done like that for recasting. I drilled a hole and added the fan myself. The one I'm making is for spaceflight but that part is still visible.

I would think you could argue that the engines (the wing mounted ones anyway) are for space use so a turbofan wouldn't make sense.

I read somewhere, and I don't know if it's canon, that the engined mounted to the fuselage are the airbreathing engines for atmospheric flight.

The turbofans wouldn't be useful for space, but that doesn't mean they aren't still visible.

I thought it was purposely done like that for recasting. I drilled a hole and added the fan myself. The one I'm making is for spaceflight but that part is still visible.

I just got an e-mail from Starship Modeler, and yes, he said it was changed.

I want to do the same thing EXO, how did you make a copy of the fan stage? I would have to make a copy of two of the parts in order to do the same thing as I already need the 4 that came with the kit for the other parts of the engine.

The turbofans wouldn't be useful for space, but that doesn't mean they aren't still visible.

True enough. They still would add visual detail to this display.

For myself, I'm going to keep the plate and add detail to it, maybe imply it's a shutter opening than can be opened to expose the fan when in atmospheric flight.

There is smaller fans for the fuselage engines,aren't there? I thought I saw them in a parts breakdown image here or was that of the orignal Moscato kit?

Edited by Aurora-7

There is smaller fans for the fuselage engines,aren't there? I thought I saw them in a parts breakdown image here or was that of the orignal Moscato kit?

Hmm, going to work from memory here (never a good thing, lol). The fuselage engines have 2 fans for each side (1 compressor, 1 turbine). And there is an optional cover on those for space flight if I recall. If the cover is installed, I doubt you could see the fuselage engine compressor fan at all. I believe all of the parts are the same size, except for the fact that two of them have a large lip around the edge of the part, and the other two do not. But I believe the outer diameter was the same.

I just got an e-mail from Starship Modeler, and yes, he said it was changed.

I want to do the same thing EXO, how did you make a copy of the fan stage? I would have to make a copy of two of the parts in order to do the same thing as I already need the 4 that came with the kit for the other parts of the engine.

There was actually enough fans but I accidentally trimmed the ones I was going to use so I did end up making copies. For that I just used a two part putty, pressed it agains the original. When that cured I dusted the inside with talcum powder and then pressed the inside of that mold with the same putty and waited for it to cure.

post-151-0-70842400-1411426152_thumb.jpe post-151-0-85470700-1411426158_thumb.jpepost-151-0-10125000-1411426189_thumb.jpepost-151-0-89895200-1411426197_thumb.jpepost-151-0-03990500-1411426209_thumb.jpe

• 5 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...