Tamashii Webshop Exclusive RVF-171EX Luca Angeloni

Gakken85

I'm absolutely certain they were thinking the same thing as all the other stands they've made.

"We don't care how ducking fugly these are, they're functional, and people will buy them anyway."

It's why all of mine have never seen the light of day for longer than it took to remove the valk from the box.

Also, as far as shattered NUNS triangles are concerned, check the recent posts on the 171CF thread. I don't think the shoulders are a materials problem so much as their hired labor on the assembly line being hamfisted imbeciles. The triangles aren't under any stress... unless you over-tighten the screws in the shoulder triangles, and then attempt to jam them over the metal shoulder blocks. The screws should be left loose until the shoulders are on, to let the parts spread over the shoulders.

Not saying there aren't any material or design problems (the parts are needlessly intricate, and the materials around the knee joint tend to shatter), but after comparing a set of broken NUNS pieces with a set of perfectly fine ones, the cracks all originate from near that screw.

The next time someone complains about one of Arcadia's stands I will kindly direct them to this thread.

I've ordered (1) and I'm good with that, it will remain in it's cardboard prison until I decide that I want to sell it or I get REALLY bored one day.

-b.

The next time someone complains about one of Arcadia's stands I will kindly direct them to this thread.

I've ordered (1) and I'm good with that, it will remain in it's cardboard prison until I decide that I want to sell it or I get REALLY bored one day.

-b.

Lol. Poor Luca.

I'm hoping that that is the stand configuration for having the lower sensor thingy in deployed mode. The rest of it looks like standard bandai fare, so with luck there will be an option to display with the thing retracted on a more regular stand configuration.

I don't own a VF-171. Is the tab that connects the cradle to the stand the same size tab as on the VF-25's?

Affirmative :)

This is a fighter mode only display for me too, but I will most likely ditch the hideous granny walker stand. Seems they would have been able to come up with a more elegant solution.

You'd think so, but as these releases have been coming out they seem to be half-assing things more and more.

Nice. Notice how it can be posed on the flightstand without those two weird bars sticking out front.

I was betting on that being the case. I am sure the altered attachment point will change the center of balance limiting its ability to be banking/climbing. I am not sure I want to own a VF-171 after all of the explosion stories in here, but I may have to... For science!

Edited by ChaoticYeti

You'll be ok. There is a risk on the CF triangles, though mine are fine.

The leg/knee thing is just a case of not forcing anything when putting the legs back to fighter mode. They'll only rotate back into position when they are almost flat against the body.

The leg/knee thing is just a case of not forcing anything when putting the legs back to fighter mode. They'll only rotate back into position when they are almost flat against the body.

I thought the exploding triangles afflicted all 171 releases. Is it just the cannon fodder?

After studying the CF I've taken apart quite a bit, I can say that it's actually more than that, since the design itself is so darn shoddy. The metallic looking plastic used in the knee joints can have some serious structural issues for the areas they're using it for. The stresses of that lower leg rotation were too much for one of my CF's knee joints, and it exploded into obsidian-like shards, broken right across the flow lines visible in the plastic.

Here's the thing about the lower leg rotation..

Bandai wrote their own directions WRONG.. They show you dropping the legs at the knee joint, and then rotating the lower leg at that point. That only barely works going from fighter to gerwalk, and it won't work at all going back to fighter mode. Since they don't bother to write directions to go back to fighter, they figure the transformation is the same both directions. In this case, it is not.

In order for the lower leg rotation to properly unlock, the knee must be ENTIRELY UNBENT. Because of the shape of the knee joint, any bend in the knee will pull the joint out slightly, and keep the lower leg rotation from engaging correctly. Going from fighter to gerwalk, there is enough slippage in the mechanism to let the leg rotate with the knee pulled down one click. But that rotation is one-way only, and it will not rotate back after you do it.

I always wondered why it was so easy to turn the leg when going to gerwalk from fighter mode, but I could never get it to turn back. This is why. It took me removing the leg entirely before I was able to notice this, because reversing the instructions would have you snap the thighs back into the belly before rotating the legs back to fighter position

The solution? Do not rotate the lower legs with the knees bent. The step where they show it done should be replaced by dropping the legs at the hip joint, not at the knee. That's the only way to get the rotation to work freely. When going back to fighter, rotate the legs into the right orientation before snapping the thighs back in, and then you can still bend the knee very slightly while snapping the legs up into the belly.

And when you rotate it, hold the leg by the knee joint, and lower leg, because otherwise you're also applying a bunch of off-center torque to that thigh pivot, which is prone to shattering due to extreme structural engineering incompetence on the part of the design team.

Now, is there some note in Japanese telling people about this? That I can't say. All I know is that the instructions only show rotating the lower leg while the knee is bent, which will only work one direction.

Edited by Chronocidal

I'm still wary after my CF 171 shattered at the main transformation point between the cockpit and the torso/chest area. Maybe it was manufacturing monkeys overtightening the screws and being overzealous with the metal pins, but I know I'm not the only one who's had that particular problem. The shoulder triangles are a minor nuisance that's relatively easy to work around, but to have the main load-bearing transform structure not only fail, but fail catastrophically has put me off on any future 171s until I know nobody else has that problem.