53rd Shizuoka Hobby Show

antibiotictab

The 53rd Shizuoka Hobby Show will be held from May 15 to 18.

Arcadia is not on the list this year, too.

A forum member, Cancer107 will submit his own Valk as a member of VF-1 Riders.

I am sorry to say that I can't go there this year.

Edited by antibiotictab

its impressive that just adding a picture of a cute girl can increase sales of a WW2 ship model kit by a factor of 10. some people though the Sheryl and Ranka marking YF-29 was silly but this is why.

Yeah.

I sometimes hear the military items, Mecha animes and the other things are out-of-date in Japan, so, something kawaii is needed for them.

That's why the Idol M@ater ita-fighters were sold well.

its impressive that just adding a picture of a cute girl can increase sales of a WW2 ship model kit by a factor of 10. some people though the Sheryl and Ranka marking YF-29 was silly but this is why.

Each girl is a anthropomorphized representation of a ship. This comes from the PC game "Kantai Collection". An anime adaptation is slated to come out very soon.

Do they always skip Shizuoka? O_o

IDK in detail.
The fact is that Shizuoka is a smaller city compared to Tokyo, Osaka, and Nagoya, but the event is famous and large-scale. Because many plamodel manufacturers gather in the city; Hasegawa, Tamiya and the others. You know many watch companies are located in Basel, Switzerland and Baselworld is held annually. Like that.
IMO, that's why plamodels are mainly exhibited and finished products are rare cases there. I actually went to Yamato's booth 2 years ago, but most of the other ones are plamodel, RC car/ plane, model gun makers'. The model gun maker was/ is Tokyo Marui, and their ones are finished ones, but the only one model gun maker AFAIK.
Edited by antibiotictab

Do they always skip Shizuoka? O_o

Yes.

The Shizuoka Hobby Show has traditionally been dedicated to the makers of "standard" models (ships, cars, fighter planes, trains, etc.) and R/C-related companies (cars, helicopters, planes, engines, radios, etc.). It also has a heavy focus on local companies like Tamiya and Hasegawa, because the area is the origin and heart of the Japanese model/hobby industry.

Bandai and Tokyo Marui (airsoft guns) are actually oddballs among the exhibitors, and companies like Wave and Kotobukiya that have a heavier focus on anime/figures don't show.

But that is starting to creep in more. First it was the car model companies releasing Ita-sha, then it was the Idolmaster planes and Girls & Panzer, and this past year was the Kankore boom. The market for standard model genres continues to shrink, so the companies do these kinds of collaborations to reach new buyers in order to survive.

Edited by razgriz

Thanks, I see the A-10 has the minimum number of parts added possible. Boo. They also didn't show what their future upcoming stuff might be.

Thanks for the info!

Is C3 the other big show? Other than wonderfest.

I require more announcements...

The other big one is actually seems to be the Nuremburg Toy show: Tamiya announced their 1/72 F-16, Hasegawa the upcoming A-10 and Su-33.

Is C3 the other big show? Other than wonderfest.

In my personal impression, the scales of those events are like these.
WF>SHS>C3>All Japan Model & Hobby Show>Treasure Festa>MegaHobby Expo
WF, C3, TF: Mainly garagekit selling and some other exhibits (company events including the stage ones, itasha, etc.)
No companys' exhibits in TF.
SHS, AJMHS, MHE: Mainly companys' exhibits, no garagekit selling
Only in SHS, amateur modeler's clubs' exhibits are included.