Never saw the original trilogy, but I enjoyed David Fincher's remake. His filmography is up and down for me, but for the most part I like his work - The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo being no exception.

If you get the chance to watch it then check it out.

-b.

Read the trilogy several times, seen the American version of the film. There's a pretty graphic rape scene in that, but I've heard that the original version is even more intense.

The books were great...Mr. Larsson was a talented writer. The Swedish films were well done, as well as the American version. As is typical with American movies, the sex is toned down to appeal to the Puritan in all of us.

Read the whole trilogy years ago. Very sad that Larsson did not get a change to finish it. Some plotlines were left hanging because of that.

Watched the first of the swedish films. Always good to see a triller not set in NY or other big US city.

I watched the first swedish movie years ago, great suspense thriller, and Noomi Rapace really stole the whole show. The following 2 movies were pretty much TV material. But I like Fincher's version much better, the actors and cinematography are in another league, soundtrack is brilliant, too, and Rooney Mara was a great replacement for Rapace.

However, after reading the books, I don't see why Larsson is regarded as a talented writer. The first book is ok as a standalone novel, but the trilogy is a lesser leftist revenge fantasy (and I don't consider me conservative in the slightest way), filled with pretentious clichés: the goody-two-shoes journalist, who can't help any attractive woman wanting too sleep with him (a thinly disguised self-image of the author), the super hacker punk girl, who can't help giving up her lesbian ambitions and falls for the protagonist, too, every rich guy or politician being corrupt, a nazi, a serial killer, a pedophile, or a combination of these, etc. The whole conspiracy feels totally forced, as does the conclusion of the trilogy.

Let's see if Fincher's movie ever gets a sequel.

I watched the first swedish movie years ago, great suspense thriller, and Noomi Rapace really stole the whole show. The following 2 movies were pretty much TV material. But I like Fincher's version much better, the actors and cinematography are in another league, soundtrack is brilliant, too, and Rooney Mara was a great replacement for Rapace.

However, after reading the books, I don't see why Larsson is regarded as a talented writer. The first book is ok as a standalone novel, but the trilogy is a lesser leftist revenge fantasy (and I don't consider me conservative in the slightest way), filled with pretentious clichés: the goody-two-shoes journalist, who can't help any attractive woman wanting too sleep with him (a thinly disguised self-image of the author), the super hacker punk girl, who can't help giving up her lesbian ambitions and falls for the protagonist, too, every rich guy or politician being corrupt, a nazi, a serial killer, a pedophile, or a combination of these, etc. The whole conspiracy feels totally forced, as does the conclusion of the trilogy.

Let's see if Fincher's movie ever gets a sequel.

You know Larsson died after finishing the Manuscripts for the trilogy so they where not able to be polished.

I finished the Third Book yesterday.

I got Rooney Mara and Kate Mara mixed up and thought it was the same actress playing both "Girl With the dragon Tattoo" remake and "House of Cards".

Thought Kate Mara was way too curvy/voluptuous to play Lisbeth Salander figured out they are Sisters I believe.

Edited by miles316

They are sisters, but have different looks to them. I thought both Noomi and Rooney did justice to Lisbeth's character, with slightly different portrayals. Rooney's seemed a softer take, to me anyway. Both movies went a little overboard trying to make her look freaky, though.