Bandai - why do you hate them?

1/1 LowViz Lurker

I can't hate bandai for they have given me plenty of gunpla to feed my building crave. Honestly, I can't blame them for making less since they can only sell macross collectibles in japan. It's a shame to see that such good merchandise go all to one country but one can admire that the collectibles we get are truly collectible.

Yes we get reissues but only japan gets them so if you live outside japan and get one, you can show off the masterpieces that they create to friends or family. I love that when I have company over they get amused and excited about the Valkyries and gundams I have.

I love bandai! Macross DX Valks, figuarts, soul of chogokin, super robot chogokin, saint cloth myth ex, metal build, metal composite. Its not just macross that disappears in 5 seconds. Out of all those lines about 3 or four disappear instantly when put up for preorder. Its just the demand for this stuff, no reason to hate them.

Agree with the above. For instance the Metal Build Destiny was sold out everywhere instantly. Not to mention what prices the Metal Build Raiser for the 7 Swords was fetching until the combo pack was re-issued. If you were a Gundam collector of similar merchandise you'd be just as annoyed, and perhaps more because the sort of premium those mount up if you don't get them within a month after release is exponential to Macross'.

Also if you were a modeler with a preference for Master Grade Zeon suits, again you'd be forever angry as one person mentioned above. I'm not a modeler but i stalk forums because i love Zeon suits. They are so sparse and their updating is so "not happening" you'd have to develop new skills to make something look as sophisticated as a Gundam suit.

Edited by Dimis

I "hate" that I had passing interest in getting the 25's and couldn't score even one. Then I got my 30th edition 29 and while I like it fine, it doesn't compare to the yamatos in feel or fun. Perhaps not being able to spend that money on the bandais was a good thing, thanks bandai!

Agree with the above. For instance the Metal Build Destiny was sold out everywhere instantly. Not to mention what prices the Metal Build Raiser for the 7 Swords was fetching until the combo pack was re-issued. If you were a Gundam collector of similar merchandise you'd be just as annoyed, and perhaps more because the sort of premium those mount up if you don't get them within a month after release is exponential to Macross'.

Also if you were a modeler with a preference for Master Grade Zeon suits, again you'd be forever angry as one person mentioned above. I'm not a modeler but i stalk forums because i love Zeon suits. They are so sparse and their updating is so "not happening" you'd have to develop new skills to make something look as sophisticated as a Gundam suit.

The newer Metal build combo pack did not include the sword from the seven sword release, I own both releases. It only included all the stuff required to display in raiser mode.

I personally never felt Bandai's Macross stuff was worth the money, I recently sold off the last of my Bandai valks and I have no interest in the YF-30 or any of their future offerings. But all that said, I've recently gotten into MonerArts and FiguArts, with some D-Arts on the side, I also own a lot of misc. Chogokin and Max Gokin stuff, so overall I would say I really love Bandai.

The only hate I have is there loose hip and shoulder joints and the failure to re-release the 25S.

I love the gloss paint and I think they have excellent tampo and detail. On a note outside of Macross, I have a Bandai SH Figure Arts Iron Man Mark 7 that is in my opinion, pound for pound, one of the best Iron Man figures out there.

Have to admit also, there is something really cool about sliding the Valk out of Bandai's Plastic Bag they wrap it in.

Why do i hate Bandai? Not re-issuing the VF-25S renewal. That just does not make any since what so ever. I refuse to spend $300 plus dollars for that thing either. Come on Bandai reissue the dam thing.

This, all the Goddamned way. They will always be the Super Dimensional Dickheads of Macross in my book for re-releasing every damned thing else EXCEPT the one thing they HAVE TO KNOW we want more than anything, the VF-25S.

And I promise yo- No, I GUARANTEE YOU that they've driven the desire for it up so much because of it, that when the finally DO re-release it, it will be gone in seconds, mark my words.

1. Cancelation of HiMetal. Seriously, they could have kept the line going with other non VF-1 toys.

2. Their CHOGOKIN. I don't know why they call it like that, since I rarely feel anything super about it. Voltes V is a very popular robot here in the Philippines, but I sold off my SOC because the metal ankles are loose as hell. I think is also evident in most of their DX Chogokin VFs.

3. Exclusives. Well yeah there's a certain bragging right to be earned by having these items, but it's really costly when you're out of Japan.

4. Half-baked ideas. What I actually mean here is that, why can't they make a very good toy from the start if they can? Remember the v.1 DX Chogokin that can't even do a proper Gerwalk while Yamato has had that thigh swivel in their 1/48 VFs?

5. So hard to order VFs. I think you guys already know this. I only have one DX which is the YF-29 Alto which I got from a friend, so I never felt the camping thing you guys do for the preorders. But judging from your posts it seems like hell.

6. And yeah, they don't seem to be going on with their AGP Strike Witches.

Edited by kamadoma

They're all about cash grabs and no real passion for Macross.

And because their Macross DX line is a joke!

they can do this:

http://blog.gundamplanet.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/dx-soull-of-chogokin-mazinger-z-review-05.jpg

At its time it was around 400 and that thing is all sorts of awesome

And for close to 300 now you get crappy QC filled Frontier valk with FP that makes the valk floppy.

I dont hate Bandai. I have no reason to. In fact i am grateful to them for taking the time to produce stuff for a super niche market.

I bought the products that I wanted and I love them. Had I not liked them i would sell the products and not buy from them again. No reason to hate them since they didnt force me to buy the stuff.

And I promise yo- No, I GUARANTEE YOU that they've driven the desire for it up so much because of it, that when the finally DO re-release it, it will be gone in seconds, mark my words.

That makes me respect them even more since any company that is able to create that much demand for their products is an excellent company (in the business sense).

Why do people like the S so much? The paint scheme, or the fact it was Ozma's?

It's pretty obvious because it is the skull leader.

But the paintscheme (grey) and the cool head and the emblem help a lot.

VF-1S is also popular and this is the "Roy Fokker" for MacF.

I always prefer the S head unit BTW. I hate the VF-1J with its tiny sensor. People only like it based on character not tech reasons. Our eyes can see a little bit to the sides so a rounded surface is best. That's why S has the best design while J is for people who only look straight ahead. hehe I think the reason S gets a bit more hate is because in fighter mode the head kinda hangs lower being a bigger overall head. But the added firepower of the turret makes it perform better. You could probably fire at a much higher rate than J and A because of the number of pipes to shoot from. (no overheating the barrels as much) This means increase damage plus less chance of missing. When you look at the J it is like putting on goggles. You lose some peripheral vision and this can limit your awareness.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Why hate them, they are just a toy company which make money producing toys that sell well. In retrospect. I think Bandai had contributed a lot in bringing up-to-date technology into toy engineering and production since mid-1990, starting with the Master Grade series.

Edited by alchemo

Bandai valks are not "grown". The metals come from under ground and the plastics also come from under ground (crude oil). Hopefully this guy isn't referring to Oaksterdam which he apparently lives nearby. That would be sad, schedule 1 *ahem* doesn't belong on this type of forum at all. Entirely off topic and random.

Moving along, I like Bandai's products just fine. I just hope they continue to come out with more macross stuff. It looks like the only way to get 1/55ths of the variants that were not reissued is to purchase the originals. That isn't too bad though as it appears they aren't rare.

The only thing that bugs me about this hobby is that, not just Bandai, all good quality robot stuff is pretty expensive these days. Even all plastic stuff that they currently sell at toy stores, small reissues of transformers, as well as deluxe kits and other reissues. I mean it costs over $100 for a KO transformers combiner set and that isn't even an official release as far as I know. A bandai valk will run you around $100+, depending on which one but I can imagine that if they reissued more with armor packs, they will be $150-$175 at minimum. That is a lot of coin for a small toy. However I haven't researched and adjusted for inflation comparing early 80s sets from Bandai to current dollar values. I'm not even sure how much a strike originally cost back in what year was it 1984?

I have compared other things and there are other hobbies that were very expensive at the time, so it could possibly be even. I don't think Transformers were expensive in those days though.

Edited by amptor

Did we ever get report as to why MW went down? Was it just coincidence?

Possibly, all the Japanese MacFans checking up on us as to where we are hitting up the Chronos. Along with the MWers coming back to give us warning. Too many hits most likely crashed MW. I'd like to think some one lucky over there got one and tried to visit here to see us frantically refreshing and smirking at us. Pure speculation :)

"Where some see coincidence, I see consequence. Where others see chance, I see cost." (Merovingian, Matrix Revolution)

Edited by Isamu Dyson

I dont get why people would be upset with bandai? Its a large corporation, and its venture into Macross would mean that there is money to be made on the franchise, which could potentially "nudge" Macross out of the niche market in a few years. Which is good, for everyone : more toys (molds upon molds milking - they love money), more series (TV series just announced), games (Mac 30), etc2.

Huge multinational company is bad for smaller companies like Yamato / Arcadia but if Big-West could distribute the rights of the series between companies to ensure healthy competitions, why not?. Or if they could also avoid giving exclusive rights to a single company.

The only reason I could think to hate them if they become like H-Gold snobs, sitting idly on their exclusive rights on a franchise (geographically) which could have the potential if were given to others AND sueing others who made the efforts.