Bandai - why do you hate them?

1/1 LowViz Lurker

I thought it would be a good time to start a thread about Bandai.

In the spirit of the "why do you hate GERWALK so much?" thread I thought it would be funny to put a Bandai one.

So why do you hate Bandai? What did they ever do to you? Are you all jealous of Gundam or something because it is more popular with more robots to buy?

My reasons:

-their toys of the macross shows are harder to get despite being cheaper on release. It's almost like they sell the toys to the scalpers instead of customers or something.

-The toys should be packed with the super parts but they are not and require you having to hunt it down. Ridiculous. I hate having to hunt stuff. Just let me order it like any other toy.

-They only do non-risky stuff from the popular shows. (and only focus on heroes - look how long it took to give us the vf-171 CF)

-They cancelled HiMetal.

Those are the reasons I hate Bandai. Why do you hate them? If you don't hate them how come you don't? They actually make it hard for you to give them your money. What kind of a business is that?

Where the hell is Ozma VF-25S re-issue for instance? He is popular character but no announcement in sight. Don't fans of macross frontier have any way of communicating their needs to bandai so they can give out responses? At least Arcadia/Yamato responds to stuff and cares how fans are reacting.

When the YF-30 comes out I will dread the thought of having to stay up all night to order this. I only realy half want it because of that. Isn't there a simpler way to get it similar to how arcadia do it where you just preorder the item without having to stay up? I like the toys they make but do not like the whole hunting aspect of the collecting.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

They make gundam much easier to buy too. So it's like an annoying troll. Look at hlj tv show dedicated to building gundam model kits. Yuck. Imagine if they devoted half of that time covering macross toys? Loads more interest would build up for this show and bandai would sell more macross toys but they probably just fear making macross too big since gundam is their baby. If profits for macross are too big, gundam profits might even fall. That's my theory. I think if Big West let two companies develop 1/60 toys for mac f it would not cannibalise each other, rather they would make twice as much money.

Why do I say that? Because at least we fans could buy the actual mac f toys right? (if arcadia had the license)

Big West should consider having two lines: one by bandai and the other by Arcadia just as a test. It sounds crazy but if sales overall double for macross toys (as opposed to one company's toy sales being half due to the other toys company's sales increasing by being in competition) then they are better off overall due to enough supply to meet demand right? If I'm wrong just go back to one toy company again.

I'm not a fan because of my broken VF-171 that I have never, and now cannot ever transform. The addon-parts could have been the perfect opportunity to offer some replacement triangles as they had to have known about the plastic issues by that point. But they basically said "too bad" and left consumers out in the cold with an inferior non-transforming transforming figure.

It seems that when companies get too big and too powerful, it's cheaper to lose customers over bad products then try to fix bad products in order to keep the customers.

I love bandai! Macross DX Valks, figuarts, soul of chogokin, super robot chogokin, saint cloth myth ex, metal build, metal composite. Its not just macross that disappears in 5 seconds. Out of all those lines about 3 or four disappear instantly when put up for preorder. Its just the demand for this stuff, no reason to hate them.

Edited by anubis20

:sigh:

As much as I dislike Bandai's shenanigans, one must always keep in mind that...

We are not their primary market.

We are not their primary customers.

They don't really care about you or me or anyone else outside of Japan. Especially your webshop-exclusive angst.

So "hating" on them is an exercise in futility.

I don't expect them to care and know I am not their target market. I actually just wish arcadia had the freedom to make toys to compete with them. That's all. If they can sell overall more toys that way without cannibalising each other's profits then everyone is more happy. Since bandai "don't care about dudes from overseas not buying their stuff" then all the more reason to wish another toy company could release toys from the shows that does care about fans from all over the place.

For example when bandai did the monster, I thought it blew the old yamato toy out of the water. So much better.

Would it hurt bandai if arcadia could have a crack at the mac F monster now that the monster is out of production and no one can buy it anymore? Would love to see mac f toys of the lesser shown things. 1/60 Qrea for instance.

You can't really say it would hurt them much since they are big company with many different toylines, and they got gundam to milk. This is why I am sad that hi metal died. I have seen the Vf-1 countless times when yamato had the v2 1/60 but to have it in smaller scale to me was very interesting. It's high quality toy at such a tiny size. 1/100. Exactly what I wanted to see because you can have them displayed with the bigger mecha like the monster. (this is the direction yamato should have gone down instead of GNU)

You can't say it was harming yamato since it was different enough in design to be worth checking out. Every company has done vf-1. So I wish every company could start doing mac F toys now. Do you agree? More money = more happiness for all businesses. (unless you are some scalper trying to resell stuff at premiums) If you just waste the license it feels like nobody is happy.

We see so many variation of the VF-1 over the years. It's time for himetal VF-25 and Arcadia versions of mac F at 1/60. (maybe in 5 years perhaps?)

It's because they don't care that's why you got the version 1 VF-25. The question is are you (the guys in japan) better off with more competition or less competition? It's not just about people who are living outside of japan. I would imagine that the japanese fans care about the toys not being crap or hard to obtain too. What happens to those who did not get the time to snatch up exclusives but have the money to buy it? The result is they will spend that money on other things from other companies.(namely gundam toys/models lol) Big West loses out. Macross loses out. Fans get angry. (we are not angry for the sake of hoping to get bandai to care for us we are angry because we know they don't care. Does that make sense? Telling us that hating them to get them to care is pointless. We are not hating them to get them to care. We are hating them because they don't care and wish the situation can change so others can start giving us even better products and the license is not wasted. It does not mean we stop buying bandai because of "teh hate", but we continue to buy bandai while at the same time buying other companies stuff too which raises the overall profit and value of macross as a property as more money flows to the owners of the property.)

-their toys of the macross shows are harder to get despite being cheaper on release. It's almost like they sell the toys to the scalpers instead of customers or something.

This, plus the fact that they seem to make it impossible to get replacement valk parts/assemblies, despite being totally willing to supply Gundam parts to most anyone/anywhere. Even HLJ etc can't get repair parts from them.

:sigh:

As much as I dislike Bandai's shenanigans, one must always keep in mind that...

We are not their primary market.

We are not their primary customers.

They don't really care about you or me or anyone else outside of Japan. Especially your webshop-exclusive angst.

So "hating" on them is an exercise in futility.

:lol: I don't hate them, I only think they could do some things better. If anything, I thank them for producing Macross stuff.

Edited by Reïvaj

Secret himetal thread spotted! :)

...but seriously, I love Bandai...it's just that my heart belongs to another who makes most of my Macross fantasies come true!

Guest davidwhangchoi

bandai is like the girl who treats you bad but you still follow her

-Edgar LaSalle

Edited by davidwhangchoi

The VF-171 CF black triangles.

I basically have a toy that I can't transform due to fear of breakage. It's worthless, to resell on the secondary market to anyone in the know. I have sold a MISB one at retail, with a note in the description and it's a everyday worry wondering if the paypal claim is going to pop up.

If they offer it again, I can't see the point in pre-ordering without a first hand review.

Bandai's lack of customer service on this issue made one of my favorite designs, the least favorite in my display cabinet.

Hate may be a strong word but I dislike for (at least) the following:

1) Poor quality on overpriced macross frontier toys

2) No more 1/55 macross reissues

3) Never made a 1/55 VF-1D (I still hope they do this some day but was holding my breath for the 30th anniversary)

Guest davidwhangchoi

The VF-171 CF black triangles.

I basically have a toy that I can't transform due to fear of breakage. It's worthless, to resell on the secondary market to anyone in the know. I have sold a MISB one at retail, with a note in the description and it's a everyday worry wondering if the paypal claim is going to pop up.

If they offer it again, I can't see the point in pre-ordering without a first hand review.

Bandai's lack of customer service on this issue made one of my favorite designs, the least favorite in my display cabinet.

same thing happened. i sold mine brand new from hlj to KiriK (MW Con guy) only to hear his shoulders/ triangles broke. i felt terrible... i tried to write to hlj but they couldn't do anything 6 months later...

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Because their kits are pricey compared to scale models plus you hardly need any skills to finish the new releases.

Plus, I hate if they supply stickers and not waterslide decals.

But the hate is nothing I have compared to the one for Aoshima and Takara-Tomy as the have a lot if Molds and licences and do nothing with them.

Funny thread. Too bad we can't compartmentalize all the Yamato/Arcadia hate to one thread too. :p

And for those unhappy with the ridiculous pre-order windows for DX Frontier merchandise try collecting just about anything from their Metal Build line.

-b.

Funny thread. Too bad we can't compartmentalize all the Yamato/Arcadia hate to one thread too. :p

And for those unhappy with the ridiculous pre-order windows for DX Frontier merchandise try collecting just about anything from their Metal Build line.

-b.

Hmm for some reason, I can easily pre-order the Metal Build / Metal Composite lines from a plethora of local retailers without any worry of them being unable to secure stock.

Adding on to that fact, the pre-order prices over here is almost equal or lower to the MSRP.

This is totally not the case with the Frontier Valks though, where almost none of said retailers offer pre-orders b/c they are unable to guarantee the stock (and even if they did offer, it usually costs at least >50SGD over the MSRP).

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by joppewo

^Lucky.

For me there is no such thing as a "local retailer". All of my ordering comes thru online stores like HLJ and AmiAmi, and with regards to some of the more sought after Bandai items my experience has been the same. Click, click, cart-jacked, or click, page loading, "sorry this item is no longer in stock".

edit to add - just cause I'm posting in this thread doesn't mean I hate or love Bandai, I'm pretty ambivalent to most businesses. If they produce a product I like at a cost that suits me then I buy. It's truly business. My love or passion comes into play with the property itself, in this case Macross.

-b.

Edited by Kanedas Bike

-b.

You mean those things you could easily get for retail with free shipping via Amazon, even months after their release date?

I hate the following things about Bandai:
1) I can never get inside scoops about what they have going on other than the vaguest of rumors

2) i have a hard time getting their toys at all, let alone scoring any sort of a discount.

You mean those things you could easily get for retail with free shipping via Amazon, even months after their release date?

Obviously.

Please be sure to find and post a link to any Metal Build listed at retail (especially with Prime since I'm a member) currently on Amazon besides the Exia Repair;

http://www.amazon.com/Bandai-Tamashii-Nations-Gundam-Repair/dp/B00D3Y18XS/ref=pd_sim_t_3/188-0706911-2122345?ie=UTF8&refRID=0JB2K0S5ZZX25VDBEF1C

Thanks,

-b.

*edit for grammar

Edited by Kanedas Bike

I don't hate Bandai Valks, but I don't feel they are on par with Yamato/Arcadia toys. The issues with the 171 toys, the V.1 VF-25. I know Yamato didn't start off perfect as well, but Bandai has been doing toys a lot longer, so you'd think they have these high engineered toys down by now. The plastic doesn't feel as good as Arcadia, the glossy attributes of them bothers me, the fragility of the tampo printing and paint to stay on the toy is another issue. I think they got it right with the VF-25 (for the most part), but they still aren't as good as Arcadia. I think that's a pretty honest and fair assessment.

Obviously.

Please be sure to find and post a link to any Metal Build listed at retail (especially with Prime since I'm a member) currently on Amazon besides the Exia Repair;

http://www.amazon.com/Bandai-Tamashii-Nations-Gundam-Repair/dp/B00D3Y18XS/ref=pd_sim_t_3/188-0706911-2122345?ie=UTF8&refRID=0JB2K0S5ZZX25VDBEF1C

Thanks,

-b.

*edit for grammar

MB freedom Gundam was available shipped and sold from amzon with a discount for nearly a year after it came out, Exia R3 was available for almost as long, and MB destiny sold out less than a month ago . Amazon NEVER closed pre-orders on ANY of them before their US street dates and all of them where available to order for MONTHS after their release. if you waited this long to decide to buy them, it's on you, not bandai.

Edited by anime52k8

Metal Build Destiny has been sold out well longer than a month ago. I know this because I've had the page bookmarked and I'd check daily along with Mandarake, Jungle and other places trying to secure a copy at or close to the original 17,000 JPY retail. I will take your word on the Freedom and Repair II/III as I never really paid attention to them on Amazon.

That said, the point I'm trying to make, as it relates directly to Bandai's Macross Frontier DX Renewal lines is that they are very hard to pre-order at the same places one would buy a Frontier Valk at retail or pre-order prices; HLJ, AmiAmi, Hobby Search, etc.

That's all - if one is able to source them locally, or thru Amazon or if Santa Claus dropped them down your chimney well then good on you, my experience has not been as such. And even still I don't hate Bandai, they just get less of my money.

-b.

I'm kind of an anomaly since all the Macross stuff I currently own is Bandai with the exception of my VE-1, but I generally love all of my Macross stuff. My only real complaint is the Hi Metal VF-19S not being able to stow its gun. I guess I just lucked out with my VF-171 since I haven't had any issues and I fiddled with it a hell of a lot when I first got the add-on parts for it.

Honestly, most of my hate for Bandai comes from Gundam. I'm more of a Gundam fan than a Macross fan, and they do a *lot* of things both with their kits and selection of what MS get chosen that infuriate me.

I absolutely loathe how they nickel and dime you at every opportunity in the most anti-consumer ways possible, but that's not in any way exclusive to either of those two franchises (though Macross probably gets hit with it the worst). They do a toy equivalent of day 1 DLC in games; if they can make a toy accessory on day 1, you can bet your ass you'll see that accessory a few months later for a premium price sold separately.

I'm kind of an anomaly since all the Macross stuff I currently own is Bandai with the exception of my VE-1, but I generally love all of my Macross stuff. My only real complaint is the Hi Metal VF-19S not being able to stow its gun. I guess I just lucked out with my VF-171 since I haven't had any issues and I fiddled with it a hell of a lot when I first got the add-on parts for it.

Honestly, most of my hate for Bandai comes from Gundam. I'm more of a Gundam fan than a Macross fan, and they do a *lot* of things both with their kits and selection of what MS get chosen that infuriate me.

I absolutely loathe how they nickel and dime you at every opportunity in the most anti-consumer ways possible, but that's not in any way exclusive to either of those two franchises (though Macross probably gets hit with it the worst). They do a toy equivalent of day 1 DLC in games; if they can make a toy accessory on day 1, you can bet your ass you'll see that accessory a few months later for a premium price sold separately.

I know what you mean. Day 1 DLC is very annoying. They know they could haver made it free because it was ready for release but choose not to as a way to further burn a bigger hole in the wallet/credit card.

I hate that. Don't forget the "pay to win" business model making its way in normal retail full price games. (Bravely Default on the 3DS is one early example here. Pay real money to hasten the speed at which you can grind) In the old days people had to invest time and effort to progress now you can use money to get ahead earlier than others in beating a game. What is the point of even playing then? lol This kind of stuff makes sense for free to play online gaming but not games you paid money for at the counter.

I don't mind stuff like costume packs and cosmetic dlc for those who want that stuff (eg clothing to make your RPG avatar look unique in the sea of identical dudes in the game) but when it is gameplay-related content which affects your power level and stats, well ....that could have been in the game on day of release. They ruined the experience for others. People are slowly waking up to it though.

What I do now is wait for DLC to be included in GOTY editions. If I can wait that long.