I have some Hasegawa questions

Prons

Probaly in January im going to buy a VF-1s Strike Valkyrie in Fighter mode from Hasegawa, it looks very high quality so I was wondering, how much experiance would you need to build one, ive built about 20 gundam models before and im preety good with painting, should I try and tackel a VF-1s?

Also Ive seen somone convert there fighter mode valkyrie Hasegawa kit to a Gerwalk, has anyone ever done that? I bet thats hard to do :ph34r:

Are the Gundams you have built all snap, or some glue ones too? The VF1S should seem pretty easy, except it will be a glue model. To really do it well you will need to glue, and will probably want to do some mroe puttying and sanding then you would do on a Gundam. If your already doing this on Gundams, well then you should be just fine. The Gerwalk conversion looks pretty hard...I would recommend start with a regular Hasegawa...you can always branch into conversions later.

Fighter mode is a standard plane model, if you've done some before, then you won't get big trouble on this VF-1, just more parts.

the Batroid mode is more easy to build, most parts are snap-on, maybe you can find it's just like a regular Gundam model. of coz, some glue and paint will be better.

Nothing against you Prons just a comment on the modiling hobby today.

It's getting to the point where people want a model but they don't want or know how to build one. The modiling industry is making it so that you put together a toy. This is not modeling! Modeling is glueing and painting and such. Sorry about this mini rant but it's upsetting. I'm not the best modeler, as a matter of fact I suck at some of it but I have learned from people around here and other places. Learning new techniques, painting glueing all this stuff is what makes the hobby so worthwhile. When your finished and place the model down and you can say, "I built and painted that! I MADE IT!". Not I put it together. Know the difference? ;)

Anyway get one of the regular VF A,J or S. Build it. Get a feel for it and then try branching out. Glue on the fingers! THATS MODELING!!!!! Try it you may supprise yourself. The Hase model is fine if all you do is glue and minor paint. Believe me it's a great kit!!!! Just try one of those and see what you would have to do to make a gerwalk mode. I'm going to try one at some point, I don't think it's that hard. You can see a pic of some Hase grewalks in my "Need a pic" Thread.

Again NOTHING against you Prons. Keep modeling!!!!!! :D:D:D Any questions and I'll try to answer them as best I could.

It's just that I see more models and modeling supplies at the Rag shop than I do at Toy's R Us and it pisses me off that these Gundam toys are being called "Models".

hey Prons,

Just to add, the Hasegawa models are more fragile than the Gundam models. Lots of small and thin parts that are prone to breakage or bound to get misplaced. And as previous posters have mentioned, Hasegawa kits are the REAL models, so there's a bit of a challenge. But don't let that discourage you they're fun models to work on, just take your time.

M

As far as models go, the VF-1 kits are the best I've ever worked with. The parts fit together great, and the detail is amazing. After an enitre youth of building crummy kits from the likes of Revel/Monogram and Ertl, the quality of the Hasegawa VF kits was totaly unexpected.

My only precaution would be to watch the layering of the paint, the panel lines are on the fine side and could get flooded easy if you are not careful (I know I ruined one!). the panel lines are so pretty you will want to make sure that you can see them. Good luck and let us see it when you are done.....

I hear what you are saying Mechleader... but.

It takes real skill to REALLY make a model, even if it is a bandai Gundam. like sure Bandai has made it uber simple to put one together... but if you really want to make it amazing, you need to paint it or mod it, and there the men get separated from the boys. Its the same with the hasegawa models. I don't use the decals for the colors because I'd rather mask out and paint it. But I'm sure that some people probably just build it and slap on the decals with only a coat of white all over it and call it done. Its pretty easy to make most high quality models (not talking about resin), like Haseg, but its the skill of the modeler to make it as lifelike as possible. The same goes for gundam kits, even though it is a bit easier to do so.

:blink:

I can see where your going with your argument Mechleader, my favoraite model kit is my Gundam X 1\100th which I painted, I personaly don't agree with calling snap together kits toys, I hate the people who complain about the color mold though. But with that said, if you cut off the pegs in a kit and glued it together and painted it would it then be a model? <_<

Anyway Im preety much sold on my VF-1 thanks for the tips.

Edited by Prons

Hi Pron! I've built 3 gundams before... 1/100 HG Kits... Puddied, sanded, painted... MaN! I gotta' say, real modeling is a bit harder... I put together a vf-1a fighter and ur... it kinda' got messed up... hee hee... set it aside... now working on simpler stuff to let myself know what I don't know...

Just got to make more mistakes to succeed... :)

The thing you need more than anything else for a "real" model over a snap-fit is patience, and lots of it. If you were going for the quick fix, you could throw together a HG or even a MG Gundam kit together in one setting. For glue-together models it's "sand-testfit-glue-paint" and wash/rinse/repeat for each part.

Not really any more difficult, just takes a lot longer. Even longer if you're doing a high-detail resin kit!