Need Suggestions for a Sparmax TC-610 Compatible Airbrush

GU-11

Finally decided to take off the training wheels. By sheer chance, I stumbled on an art store that sells Sparmax compressors, and got the TC-610:

DSC00892.jpg

The fact that it doesn't rely on battery power is already a major plus point. And finally, I can try out some new techniques by adjusting the air pressure, and won't have to worry so much about humidity, since it also has a moisture trap. Finally, I can experiment on weathering and detailing!

Next up is to get a double action airbrush.

The store owner sold a brand of Taiwanese airbrushes called "Fairbro" or something, and while testing a couple of them, I found the air pressure a little hard to control using the trigger. I'm not sure if it was just the caffeine tremors (I'm a coffee addict), but it's hard to adjust the amount of air pressure coming out of it. The trigger felt rather stiff and not too responsive, and it was almost impossible to get a gradual increase in air pressure--the moment I press down on it hard enough to get the trigger button the depress, I usually end up pressing it all the way down. The pull-back motion for the paint is fine, though.

Will this be an issue in the future?

I've never used a double-action AB, so I've no idea what to get.

There was another one that accepts gravity and siphon cups, but what I didn't like about it is that when screwed on tightly, the gravity-feed cup ends up almost upside down, since it's mounted to the side of the airbrush. They aren't cheap either, costing about 120-150 USD a piece.

Are these okay, or should I invest in a more expensive Badger or Iwata? I'm pretty handy with my Tamiya basic airbrush (single action), only because it's ridiculously simple to use, and handles like an adjustable spray can.

IIRC, my local Tamiya store also sells Badger and Iwata airbrushes, although it's pretty out of the way.

Most importantly, are all airbrushes compatible with the Sparmax TC-610 compressor I bought? I tied screwing on my old Tamiya basic airbrush on it, and the hose fit perfectly. The thing is, the Tamiya basic AB continuously shoots air from the nozzle, unlike a double-action airbrush that only shoots air when you press down on the trigger.

Any and all advice is much appreciated.

I've got a Paasche VLS set that I could let go for stupidly cheap. Just been sitting in a box for the past 10 years, taking up space. I can post actual pics of it if you're interested in a few days (going out of town).

Hey there, Jeff!

I wouldn't mind buying the set, but there were a few things I have to consider. The main issue is that I don't live the US, which would make shipping spare parts especially expensive and troublesome--I've heard that while needles can last for years with good care, they don't last forever either. At least with Tamiya, I could get them to order parts for me. Those Paasche needles for that set seem to have a wider body, and then there's a sudden "step" when it nears the tip. I don't think the usual airbrush needles will work on it.

Also, despite googling for hours, I couldn't find any info about whether that Paasche airbrush set (or Paasche AB's in general) is compatible with the Sparmax's hose. These things don't seem to be universal--my old Spraywork compressor can only be connected to certain airbrushes, according to the manual. Although, my dinky old plastic Tamiya basic AB screws on perfectly into the Sparmax compressor's hose, so I'm at least confident that I can use Tamiya airbrushes on it.

Are airbrushes universally compatible with all compressors?

You will still get a pulse at low pressure, common for that type of compressor also watch out for overheating.

Nice compressor but not really for heavy-duty use and can get noisy.

My own compressor (oil) now 14yr old and still going strong is dead silent and runs as well as day 1 but cost 750USD.

http://www.airbrush-tool.com/data/airbrush/product/airtex/comp/com_apc007.jpg

If you get the right fittings any AB will work? You can get them at most DIY or Arts Supply stores.

My whole AB setup cost me 1.300 USD 14yrs ago, just no longer have the space to use it. A good setup will last you 30+yes with no problems.

P.S.: All my gear compressor and 6 AB are in storage right now, looking for a job where I can use them.

Edited by CrazyDude

You will still get a pulse at low pressure, common for that type of compressor also watch out for overheating.

Nice compressor but not really for heavy-duty use and can get noisy.

My own compressor (oil) now 14yr old and going strong is dead silent and runs as well as day 1 but cost 750USD.

If you get the right fittings any AB will work?

P.S.: All my gear compressor and 6 AB are in storage right now, looking for a job where I can use them.

Yeah, the guy at the store told me about the overheating, but it does have an auto-shutdown feature to prevent damage. In any case, I don't usually spend more and a half hour per spraying session--45 minutes, tops. Spraying in an air-conditioned room helps, too.

It IS a little noisy, but it's pretty tolerable, no worse than my old Basic Spraywork compressor, which is about 65 decibels.

Either way, it's the best one they've got, and that shop's the only place I could find locally that sells airbrush compressors. Besides, different voltage levels between countries means I can only buy from local brick-and-mortar shops. A voltage converter would make all the difference but I just can't seem to find one.

To reduce the noise place it on a non-slip rubber mat it will reduce the shaking a lot and add foam insulated cover?

Nice compressor don't get me wrong I needed more with a baby, etc.

Good luck.

Hey there, Jeff!

I wouldn't mind buying the set, but there were a few things I have to consider. The main issue is that I don't live the US, which would make shipping spare parts especially expensive and troublesome--I've heard that while needles can last for years with good care, they don't last forever either. At least with Tamiya, I could get them to order parts for me. Those Paasche needles for that set seem to have a wider body, and then there's a sudden "step" when it nears the tip. I don't think the usual airbrush needles will work on it.

Also, despite googling for hours, I couldn't find any info about whether that Paasche airbrush set (or Paasche AB's in general) is compatible with the Sparmax's hose. These things don't seem to be universal--my old Spraywork compressor can only be connected to certain airbrushes, according to the manual. Although, my dinky old plastic Tamiya basic AB screws on perfectly into the Sparmax compressor's hose, so I'm at least confident that I can use Tamiya airbrushes on it.

Are airbrushes universally compatible with all compressors?

It should fit, but don't quote me. When I was using it, I had it hooked up to a generic compressor I had bought at Wal Mart or someplace like that. No work tomorrow, so I'll go ahead and post some pics of what I've got.