Lucy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=MVt32qoyhi0

Looks amazing, hopefully it'll be as good as The Fifth Element and Leon: the Professional. I'll certainly be there on opening day with bells on.

-b.

*edit for grammar to and to say I mess up the Tags (d'oh)

Edited by Kanedas Bike

Bah. Maybe it's because I'm a first-class misogynist but "powerful chicks in power doing poweful things really powerfully" has always been a lame concept to me. In my opinion, this movie is no different than something as stupid and obviously sexual as Jennifer's Body or Species...

Edited by myk

Bah. Maybe it's because I'm a first-class misogynist but "powerful chicks in power doing poweful things really powerfully" has always been a lame concept to me. In my opinion, this movie is no different than something as stupid and obviously sexual as Jennifer's Body or Species...

Those two comparisons are a bit of a stretch (demonic possession and an alien-hybrid), but sure...

If anything this falls into Hollywood's current theme of the limits of human evolution (see Transcendence) but with an obvious "action" slant.

-b.

• 3 months later...

If we only used 10% of our brain, we'd be in a permanently vegetative state requiring machines to keep is alive. Unless someone has an existing brain injury, we're all using 100% of out brain. Just saying.

Stupid premise is stupid.

Edited by Duke Togo

If we only used 10% of our brain, we'd be in a permanently vegetative state requiring machines to keep is alive. Unless someone has an existing brain injury, we're all using 100% of out brain. Just saying.

Stupid premise is stupid.

Nothing wrong with the premise of a drug, or science-induced evolutionary advance.

The science may by all wrong, but there's nothing any more or less stupid with this premise than of a historical space opera set in a far away galaxy about magical knights and an evil army of horrible marksmen. B))

Just sayin'

-b.

*this could also be a nominee for the Worst Sci-fi film, but it'd have to be because of acting, story, plot, etc. - not just a far-out premise or idea

Star Wars premise isn't stupid, it's a fantasy piece built upon mythological traditions. Lucy builds off of a false premise, not unlike basing a movie around the concept that the earth is flat.

What's worse is the trailer alone is going to lead people to quoting this false belief. And that's plain stupid.

Star Wars premise isn't stupid, it's a fantasy piece built upon mythological traditions. Lucy builds off of a false premise, not unlike basing a movie around the concept that the earth is flat.

What's worse is the trailer alone is going to lead people to quoting this false belief. And that's plain stupid.

My point is, that fantasy make-believe is fantasy make-believe.

I also suppose it depends on ones readiness, or willingness to suspend their disbelief in order to enjoy the particular fantasy make-believe.

-b.

Since I know none of you guys outside this forum I'll let you on a little secret. My wife and I are expecting our first baby in about two months and we already picked her name... it's Lucy! So whenever we see this trailer on TV we giggle :)

We picked the name months ago as a play on words of Star Wars character names. 'Lucy' Skywalker for example :p

Since I know none of you guys outside this forum I'll let you on a little secret. My wife and I are expecting our first baby in about two months and we already picked her name... it's Lucy! So whenever we see this trailer on TV we giggle :)

We picked the name months ago as a play on words of Star Wars character names. 'Lucy' Skywalker for example :p

Congrats!

Now get ready to not have a full night's sleep for a long time.

-b.

I watched the trailer and immediately knew I would skip this at all costs.

This article completely destroys the movie premise by premise and the more I read it the more I'm glad I read it and didn't go see this film haha.

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2014/07/life-is-futile-so-heres-what-to-do-with-it-according-to-lucy-a-spoilereview/375006/

Obviously spoilers.

He notes with self-satisfaction that the human race needs to advance from “evolution to revolution,” which his upscale audience applauds enthusiastically, suggesting that they can’t tell the difference between a genuine insight and a sneaker ad. He also laments that “We don’t know anything more than a dog that watches the moon.” I fear that on the basis of this film it might be plausibly presumed that we actually know less.

“I remember the taste of your milk in my mouth.” (Needless to say, this is a line that I will spend the remainder of the summer trying to un-remember.) The truly crazy part, however, is that after this long, super-creepy monologue, Lucy’s mom doesn’t ask the question that any parent in the world would ask under the circumstances: “Are you on drugs?” Instead, it’s just: Thanks for calling, hon. Great to catch up. Kudos on that whole recovered memory about the taste of my breast milk.

W.

T.

F.

Edited by Gakken85

I wasn't exactly impressed by trailers, and like others pointed out, each one that starts with then builds off of human's only using 10% of their brains makes me cringe in anger and pain. After seeing nothing but mediocre to outright damning reviews this is an easy pass, oh well, I got Guardians and Turtles in the coming weeks so there's that.

Went and saw this earlier today, it was, well, it was an "OK" movie, and flawed premise or not it certainly could/should have been better.

Anyone who enjoys the visual styling or is just a fan of Luc Besson's would appreciate the look of this movie.

I thought Scarlett J. acted well for the most part, there were a few bits were I thought she over-acted the whole "savant/I'm discovering a whole new realm bit" but overall I thought she and the other actors did a good enough job.

Won't get into a debate about the root premise of the film, but it was an interesting take on meta-abilities and the ability to control or influence time, matter, and forms of energy - regardless of whether that was caused by unlocking some untapped human potential or via other means.

Anyone on the fence should wait for Netflix or a rental, anyone who already thinks this movie is dumb will absolutely feel re-affirmed and should either (1) never watch it, or (2) wait for it to come on cable or network TV.

6.5/10

-b.

• 7 months later...