GI: 3d Printable Yamarcadia stand

ChaoticYeti

There are many different colors of filament I could print it in, too.

Edit: I misread that. I thought you said black.

That is the problem. These won't be cheap if I print them on my machine and sell them. I am thinking about doing a limited run sale on the site. We'll see what the reaction is to the price. If enough people bite, maybe I can drop the price on subsequent runs. The issue is I do this stuff professonially. Charging what I invoice a client for a rapid prototype...well you might as well buy up some Yamato VF-4's while you are at it. Stay tuned. I will try and figure something out within a week.

What about something like generic/blank or launch deck elevator as the base of the stand? Its pretty basic and it will be should able to go through manufacturing with without any legal issues.

Like this but smaller for the base of the stand.

post-23462-0-24362500-1396625752_thumb.png

Edited by Saburo

What about something like generic/blank or launch deck elevator as the base of the stand? Its pretty basic and it will be should able to go through manufacturing with without any legal issues.

Like this but smaller for the base of the stand.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-03-26 at 1.14.36 PM.png

I really like that idea. I just need to come up with that detail. Best case scenario would be one design that works for all of the different era's of valks.

Edited by ChaoticYeti

Would a clear or semi-transparent version be workable? I forget if you covered that already. Personally, that's one of the reasons why I like the Flightpose stands because it helps them blend into the background and gives the illusion that the valk is really flying.

That is the problem. These won't be cheap if I print them on my machine and sell them. I am thinking about doing a limited run sale on the site. We'll see what the reaction is to the price. If enough people bite, maybe I can drop the price on subsequent runs. The issue is I do this stuff professonially. Charging what I invoice a client for a rapid prototype...well you might as well buy up some Yamato VF-4's while you are at it. Stay tuned. I will try and figure something out within a week.

Thanks for the quick reply. Yeah I figured as much and assumed the printed pieces would be quite pricey. I will follow this thread closely but take your time because to much stuff will come out in the next couple of month so I have to wait for a new job to get some of these.

I really admire your effort you put into this. Keep it up. :)

Would a clear or semi-transparent version be workable? I forget if you covered that already. Personally, that's one of the reasons why I like the Flightpose stands because it helps them blend into the background and gives the illusion that the valk is really flying.

I would prefer to have crystal clear stands as well. Pure PLA filament is clear, but due to the printing process it does not end up clear. Think of layers upon layers of ice. All of the light gets refracted and diffused. Ends up looking like glitter more than anything else.

Since you seem to be pretty in to 3D printing do you mind a question regarding the surface structure of the printed part. From my experience they are pretty grainy when printed with powder. I have only had some printed parts from a HP Design Jet my hands so it is pretty hard for me to imagine how the printed pieces look and feel.

I printed these at 250 microns. The models are not too intricately detailed, so this resolution comes out looking pretty good. You can see, and feel the layers. If you drew your finger across it parallel to the layer it would feel smooth. If you drew your finger across it perpendicular to the layers you would feel the slight ridges of the cylindrical thread of deposited filament.

Edited by ChaoticYeti

Amazing!! i love it! i already did my own model, but a lil more traditional, without printer 3D, with just a lathe and stainless steel :p

DSC_0995.jpg

DSC_1014.jpg

IMG_6872.jpg

IMG_0492.jpg

IMG_0489.jpg

Greetings!

Edited by Torak

Shouldn't be surprised. Not only are you amazingly rapid with updates and modifications but stylistically it looks very elegant.

Thanks. You've got me all welled up ^_^

Edited by ChaoticYeti

So it seems there's a lot of interest, the big question is whether it will be cost-effective. I'm wondering if it might be cheaper to do it as a kit, where you fabricate the arm parts (since those are custom) but make the holes and adjustment points able to plug generic parts available at the hardware store or something. Also, perhaps there's a way to make the base less expensive -- it seems at least for the Bandai valks you could just sell the arm parts that people could plug into the existing bases, similar to what you have pictured.

I love the option to bank the fighters!

If only the bandai mounts weren't so clunky.

...do I need to model a new piece for that as well?

Edited by ChaoticYeti

I prefer the simpler option, more complex and more prone to break, I think.

What is your opinion about the newest more complex types' durability Yeti?

I gave some names (Arm Types: AT1, AT2, etc.) to your Bandai options according to joint types; I hope we can communicate more easly this

way :D

oQQZyX.png

Edited by charger69

AT2 has more stability issues than AT3 does. With AT3 you can adjust the fulcrum to control the center of balance. Since the bandai stand adapter is so tall (the chunky but that actually touches the valk), banking the fighter on AT2 can cause the stand to bend.

AT1 is rock solid. AT2 needs user discretion to be solid. AT3 is not as solid as AT1, but is the most versatile out of the 3.

Edited by ChaoticYeti

Damit! You already had my attention some time ago, I've been lurking on this post since then and let me tell you, sir, that you had my attention twice.

I'm not planning on buying any of your stands right now since I'm gonna be moving in 3 monthes but they could become priority after I'm settled ;)

Awesome job!

Edited by Loute

Damn Yeti, this keeps getting better and better. I was mesmerized when I saw the initial pics in the YF-19 thread. I hope you can find a way to mass produce these at an acceptable cost. I could go broke with the amount of valks I have that need stands lol.

Damn Yeti, this keeps getting better and better. I was mesmerized when I saw the initial pics in the YF-19 thread. I hope you can find a way to mass produce these at an acceptable cost. I could go broke with the amount of valks I have that need stands lol.

Cost is the only thing stopping this from working at this point. I will get around to a manufacturer for a quote.