Did a search and found no thread for this film yet.

After Rise of the Planet of the Apes,which was imo a great take on the franchise the sequel is shaping up to be one awesome looking film.

6koczGy.jpg

A growing nation of genetically evolved apes led by Caesar is threatened by a band of human survivors of the devastating virus unleashed a decade earlier. They reach a fragile peace, but it proves short-lived, as both sides are brought to the brink of a war that will determine who will emerge as Earth's dominant species.

Guest davidwhangchoi

this is the first movie release thread not started by A7 in a while!!! i think it's still april fools

Edited by davidwhangchoi

I was very impressed by the first film, I love Andy Serkis but I just had little faith, CG apes, actual apes, but then BAM, the movie was fantastic and easily one of my favorite movies of the year! I am very excited for Dawn, I searched a few weeks back and didn't find a thread either, kind of surprised, I also didn't find a thread for amazing-looking 2014 Godzilla, WTF Macross World!

• 3 months later...

I agree with both Chris Stuckmann and Jeremy Jahns - Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is one of the best sci-fi films of the year. Andy Serkis and Toby Kebbell make this film shine as Caesar and Koba, respectively. While the storyline is typical of any post-apocalyptic survival movies, it draws a lot of inspiration from Native American wars in American history. Unlike Rise of the Planet of the Apes, where the humans were clearly the villains, Dawn draws a gray area between both the Apes and the surviving humans due to the conflicting ideals of Caesar and Koba. Despite his limited screen time, Gary Oldman is awesome as always.

Without a doubt, you should never miss this film. Just make sure to watch Dawn of the Planet of the Apes first to understand the history of Caesar. Both films will make you forget the 2001 Tim Burton version ever existed.

I watched a showing at 10 earlier today and damn, it was incredible. After being bored to death almost literally from Age of Extinction, I was ready for an actually good summer flick, and this was it for me, in spades, it was amazing beginning to end. I loved that the focus was on the apes this time, yes the humans played their roles, but Ceasar was the star, although I must admit Koba really stole all the scenes he was in, all in all it was a damn fine movie and I will be buying it day one on Bluray, hell I'll probably go see it in DFX a few more times while it's in theaters.

Except that was the original continuity, the remake's space mission was referenced in Rise.

Because there is A space mission, not THE space mission from that horrible Tim Burton remake.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rise_of_the_Planet_of_the_Apes

Trying to state that Burton's Apes has anything to do with Rise and Dawn is just flat out wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planet_of_the_Apes_%282001_film%29

-b.

Except that was the original continuity, the remake's space mission was referenced in Rise.

The space mission report on TV was mostly random, but if anything, it's more closely-related to Charlton Heston's ship from the 1968 film.

Meanwhile...

Also, the ending is so...

... GoldenEye.

Edited by areaseven

The space mission report on TV was mostly random, but if anything, it's more closely-related to Charlton Heston's ship from the 1968 film.

I don't think it was random at all. It was an Easter-egg for fans of the original, specifically discussing the Icarus spacecraft nearing Mars orbit. It doesn't mean that it was a direct link to the original franchise (maybe the original movie if it stood alone, but not the sequels -- the depicted history of those negates any relation), but it was a nice little nod to the '68 film. This completely separates the rebooted PotA films from Tim Burton's incoherent mess of a re-imagining attempt; and destroys DuelGundam2099's assertion of a shared timeline.

Edited by mechaninac

I thought it was really good.

Only gripe this time around, and it may only be due to seeing it on a ginormous DFX screen, was that the apes at various times looked as if they had been overlaid on a green screen. They didn't look CG or fake at all, but looked as if real apes had been put in front of one.

In the first movie (Rise of) , the headlines also say that they have lost contact with the manned Mars space mission and they are "lost in space." So I think it is more than just an homage to the 60's movie. I think that the next sequel will have that mission crew returning to Earth and encountering the planet of the apes ala the original.

I really liked the movie but

The one thing I didn't like was they brought Ceasar back. At first I thought that was pretty bold and great storytelling that they did that but then they chickened out and brought back a popular character for no reason. The first movie moved the story towards ape domination of the planet in a swift way, but I feel like this one left exactly where it began.

Koba was an awesome character though... I hated him so much but enjoyed his screen presence.

Great movie though... more than a popcorn movie and an exciting watch. I like it almost as much as the first.

I'm hoping they skip the Charlton Heston movie and just say that it's a smaller story integrated into a larger one because you can never remake that movie and make the same impact. Maybe have scenes intercut with the Heston character in the background via CG with the real movie. But like I mentioned, it seems like with this movie, they just want to stay in prequel land instead of moving it further into the proper Planet Of The Apes timeline.

Saw this earlier today, thought it was amazing for all of the reasons stated above. I enjoyed Rise of the Planet of the Apes (despite Franco :p) and Dawn was that much better.

Cannot wait to own this on Blu ray.

-b.

Solid film. This might be in contention for one of the best handled reboots of a film series. Though, I do worry what the hell they are going to do once the apes take control. The dynamics of both these films rest heavily on both sides being unsure of what's happening, so when one side has the upper hand it could go south.

The main Hoooman didn't do much for me. I'm glad it wasn't Franco, but I felt no feelings for him one way or another. I just thought, he was the stand-in for the guy from the first film.

Also.. if blowing up the base of the tower was such a big deal... it didn't do a whole frakk of a lot other than trash up the place.

Also, I was rather disappointed that there was very little Gorilla action. I paid to see a giant Gorilla smash crap.

I didn't think the apes looked that bad, to be honest.

I did think of Land of The Dead because of the fencing and the towerish set-up. I also thought of the third Planet of the Ape film when the apes storm the capital city.

That scene where the Camera is go pro'd on the tank turret was awesome.

• 4 months later...

I haven't been a fan of the series from the first movie with Heston. But I would think this would dove-tail direectly into the original with no problem at all. There's no reasom to remake it. None at all. The only tech that shows is at the beginning and in the cave, and all are generic enough examples to not stand out in a TOS Star Trek kind of way. I haven't seen this one and I probably won't until I catch portions of it on TV, but I would guess that they could do one more before the 'next' movie is Heston's original one.

Edited by Thom

• 2 months later...