Appropriate Age to Let a Kid Play with a 1/55 Chunky-Monkey?

Mog

Personally, it has been more fun sharing my collection with my son and daughter than just collecting.  Overall experience continues to be fun and both my son and daughter like to play with our toys. As they grow older they remember the toys but just don’t play as much as they used too.

But I still remember the days when my son would say to my wife “Mom take a picture of me for your Facebook!”

Yep, he’s had rich history with toys and continues to do so.

I will always cherish these memories. I hope more parents do the same like those of us who have shared experiences here.

4F37AD46-F891-4A24-A754-C371B6F19F39.jpeg

One of the reasons I collect is to share and pass on to my Kids. Great to read about all these stories. I haven't located any of my open Chunky Monkeys since my kids were born but when I find one, I'll let my kids play with it for sure. They definitely need to experience the greatest toy ever made. 

20 hours ago, theraiden said:

My youngest is my son at 8. Bought 2x DX Max and gave him one, his first Macross toy (we just finished watching SDF together 3 months ago,  myself hadn't watched it in 20 years) Showed him once how to transform all modes. He nailed it in first try. Proud moment. He will carry on the torch, oh yes.

Has he cursed at the two-piece swing bar? I know I did at least once.

• 2 weeks later...

It bugs me a little that toys that used to be played with by 4-5 year olds are so collectible now that someone would even think to ask this question. 

I know Macross isn’t big like Gundam in Japan, so the market is smaller, but the lack of toys priced like actual toys is a bummer.  Honestly the only thing close to it is a Toynami Veritech, but even those are getting expensive. 

1 hour ago, jeniusornome said:

It bugs me a little that toys that used to be played with by 4-5 year olds are so collectible now that someone would even think to ask this question. 

I know Macross isn’t big like Gundam in Japan, so the market is smaller, but the lack of toys priced like actual toys is a bummer.  Honestly the only thing close to it is a Toynami Veritech, but even those are getting expensive. 

And fall apart if you look at them!

There are things more in the "toy" category, but they are often not as "transformable" (like the SD or joke machines) or just figures (like the bendies/super poseables).

While I was in Japan, I picked up a previously enjoyed 1/60 V2 Roy Strike for fairly cheap (cheaper than the KO).  The shop selling it listed it as box opened, but when I opened it, it was basically brand new, no crackling on the rainbow canopy, no yellowing, stickers weren't applied.  I was concerned about the shoulder thing, but it seems to be okay.

Anyway, figured it was cheap enough to give to my 5 year old, but the thing is a huge pain in the dick to transform, even for me.  He didn't have a lot of fun with it and I ended up giving him my old 1/55 chunky Hikaru Strike to play with while I mucked around with the 1/60.  Anyway, he figured out the 1/55 easily.