Display Stands for 1/60 VFs?

Delta

Chances are it is going to be all or nothing. If you look at this drawing, you can see the the base pivot is slotted to fit the DX stands. It is going to be more cost effective across the board to have one option, one kit of parts. I am going to try and put together a youtube video to go over the stand. Maybe it will help in clarifying some things.

qQmuYET.jpg

Edited by ChaoticYeti

a little bummed about how expensive these will be, still want a few though.

Depends on volume. If people ordered a total of 10,000, these would be pretty cheap.

Edited by ChaoticYeti

Understandable. Personally I'll probably only be able to commit to $100~$150 worth of stands, whether that gets me 2 stands or 20.

I hear you. The front loaded cost of tooling is what makes this expensive. If the poll shows there would be more orders than I am estimating, I would drop the price. I am not looking to scalp anyone.

You're getting hosed if that's the selling price your going for.

Where are you located, there's a couple if ways to get this done.

But with no need for fancy packaging, numerous arm mounts and accessories.

There's no way a run of these should be that much.

Honestly, you need to just either fund the whole thing for a good price point.

Or Kickstarter fund it.

You need to get these stands down to 20$ ea for this to be successful.

Which would mean just having a 10K run on the tooling, having it paid for up front

By a kickstarter like basis, and then selling the left overs.

You either go big, or sell a few on here for a lot of money each.

If you want help on trying to make a painless kickstarter I'd be glad to help.

Just throwing in my .02 as someone who's done this with auto products.

You're getting hosed if that's the selling price your going for.

Where are you located, there's a couple if ways to get this done.

But with no need for fancy packaging, numerous arm mounts and accessories.

There's no way a run of these should be that much.

Honestly, you need to just either fund the whole thing for a good price point.

Or Kickstarter fund it.

You need to get these stands down to 20$ ea for this to be successful.

Which would mean just having a 10K run on the tooling, having it paid for up front

By a kickstarter like basis, and then selling the left overs.

You either go big, or sell a few on here for a lot of money each.

If you want help on trying to make a painless kickstarter I'd be glad to help.

Just throwing in my .02 as someone who's done this with auto products.

PM sent.

so i've been pushing for clear stands and voted that way, but it occurs to me that the o-rings will be highly visible unless you use an almost translucent rubber. very few "stock" standard o-rings come in that colors though. anyway, just something to keep in mind. also i have a feeling skullmilita is right on the tooling cost. make sure you get multiple qoutes.

I am assuming the effect of the black o-ring with clear parts would be similar to the animation I posted earlier in this thread.

I don't have a final quote from anywhere for tooling. Keep in mind the poll is just information gathering. A lot could change, including cost.

You should add another adapter to bring in non macross fans and model kit builders. They sell these rare earth magnets that have screw counter kinks already built in so all you need is a piece with a screw hole and they can buy the magnets themselves. All they have to do is build their kits with the magnets inside and they'll be compatible for your stands. And it doesn't have to be aircraft. These can be Gundam or other robot kits. you can also put in an adapter with 5mm pegs for Transformer fans. You can build up a lot of customers if you open it up.

The o-ring situation is why I voted for black. Even if I get outvoted and only clear becomes available, it won't bug me too much.

I am assuming the effect of the black o-ring with clear parts would be similar to the animation I posted earlier in this thread.

I don't have a final quote from anywhere for tooling. Keep in mind the poll is just information gathering. A lot could change, including cost.

How about making the connection points male/female hexagons like the recent play arts kai stands? That would eliminate the o-rings, keep everything clear, and still allow you to position at different angles...

How about making the connection points male/female hexagons like the recent play arts kai stands? That would eliminate the o-rings, keep everything clear, and still allow you to position at different angles...

That would be quite the trade off. Hexagons only have six stops, one every 60 degrees. Not a lot of flexibility.

That would be quite the trade off. Hexagons only have six stops, one every 60 degrees. Not a lot of flexibility.

what about like the old Yammy stands ? You can have much more flexibility, and still no need for a screw, only a clipsing cap to prevent the mechanism to slide out

a little bummed about how expensive these will be, still want a few though.

what was the initial estimate per stand? couldnt find it in any of the 3 threads (including the poll). thanks!

casted my vote. my $ is yours.

EDITED : it was in the poll thread. I thought $50 was the amount of contribution to kickstarter....

Edited by aaajin

vague post but, consider me...interested. very. can you tell us about how long we're gonna be waiting for into? haha

I can not afford to make Macross display stands. I have a better chance of selling display stands in general. I will still offer the Macross adapters, but I have already made some adapters for other popular franchises. I need a larger market so I can sell these for less per unit. It will probably be months before these are available.

I can not afford to make Macross display stands. I have a better chance of selling display stands in general. I will still offer the Macross adapters, but I have already made some adapters for other popular franchises. I need a larger market so I can sell these for less per unit. It will probably be months before these are available.

Count me as still interested. It would have been cool to get a display stand with the Macross kite or SMS logo on the base, but if making them more generic while accommodating adapter pieces for valks means that they will be more affordable, I'm all for it. I think the basic articulation mechanism you've designed is great.

By the way, you've probably already considered this, but thought it would be worth mentioning all the same: One way to definitely broaden the market would be to design an adapter piece to hold larger action figures -- I'm thinking 6" and above collector figures, including things like Hot Toys or Play Arts Kai figures. I think it would be pretty easy, just a mandible-type grip piece that could hold the figures around the waist, allowing for flight or jumping types of poses.

ChaoticYeti, the stand looks awesome! Great Work!

Just wish it will have a lower price point. Hope you will be able to come up with a more generic stand for a bigger market so that the cost can be lower. For the Bandai DX, since it has the base already, it will be great if you can offer just the arm with the proper adapter. Hope things will work out. Good luck.

ChaoticYeti, the stand looks awesome! Great Work!

Just wish it will have a lower price point. Hope you will be able to come up with a more generic stand for a bigger market so that the cost can be lower. For the Bandai DX, since it has the base already, it will be great if you can offer just the arm with the proper adapter. Hope things will work out. Good luck.

That is the plan. It will be less expensive with a broader appeal.

Count me as still interested. It would have been cool to get a display stand with the Macross kite or SMS logo on the base, but if making them more generic while accommodating adapter pieces for valks means that they will be more affordable, I'm all for it. I think the basic articulation mechanism you've designed is great.

By the way, you've probably already considered this, but thought it would be worth mentioning all the same: One way to definitely broaden the market would be to design an adapter piece to hold larger action figures -- I'm thinking 6" and above collector figures, including things like Hot Toys or Play Arts Kai figures. I think it would be pretty easy, just a mandible-type grip piece that could hold the figures around the waist, allowing for flight or jumping types of poses.

This is in the works.

Great news Yeti, this is starting to really take shape. I like the fact that you have decided to expand on the use of these stands. Macross toys can really be considered niche and if these were only for valks your audience is greatly reduced. Great tips Exo and Skull, I love the resourcefulness of the Macrossworld users. :D