NEW MACROSS TV SERIES ANNOUNCED!

Tochiro

AgentOne, do you have some kind of OCD that makes you just HAVE TO ABSOLUTELY turn every single thread you type in into a "I HATE M7" thread? It's been TWENTY YEARS. Two decades harbouring hatred for a cartoon about ending hatred. I know old habits die hard, but can you please maybe make an effort to start actually contributing something to the conversation for once?

You are not correct. I do not the above. Here is a list of threads I have participated in that have nothing to do with M7, nor did the subject come up:

Macross The First

Macross in the weirdest places

Character Art Appreciation Thread III

Happy Birthday, Minmay!

I am a weird macross fan...

Favorite Macross YouTube Vids

Best copy of COMPLETE dyrl movie

VF-1A to 1S, ppgrade or complete replacement when promoted in DYRL?

Funniest Macross Moment?

Who remembers this?

Zentraedi/Meltrandi Technology

SDFM ending credits

Tribute to the DYRL Toho Dub

Gold Book Club Members

English Dubbed DYRL :(

WTF is this?

DRYL remastered DVD release

Nerdiest Macross Moment :p

Macross TV or DYRL?

Valkryie Practicallity

LOL Macross Sizes

Look Up, Look Up, Look Up!

Super Dub Fortress Macross on Hulu

Will we ever see a Macross Rocket Punch?

Macross II

What would you prefer?

If we are talking about a new show, isn't it pertinent to discuss other launches of other Macross sequels? Certainly more to the point of this thread than pasting fan fiction stuff.

People have to recognize what M7 was a disappointment ...

I will actually give M7 some credit here. It was a disappointment to the fans of the original. M7 fit the times for the younger generation of highly emotional effeminate males. It did bring some fans into the franchise with its different reach (very similar to Star Wars episode 1) but still only had 10% of the audience that SDFM did (someone posted the viewer numbers once).

I will actually give M7 some credit here. It was a disappointment to the fans of the original. M7 fit the times for the younger generation ...

Well, at least you brought this point up, which many people seem to forget. I admit that when Frontier premiered, I was probably well out of the target audience range. Whenever this show starts, I can be sure I'm not in the target audience range. In fact, I'm sure many of us here are not in the target audience range. Doesn't mean we can't love or hate it any less. But let's get one thing straight, we're not getting any younger. And if we want to keep Macross going for years to come, we gotta keep the influx of new fans coming. New shows, new merchandise, etc. (Unlike a certain franchise in the USA which relies on nostalgia to keep it's dwindling population going).

I think your borderline misogyny and bigotry needs to go.

Those are some pretty strong insults. No evidence to back up your statements and not called for.

Well, at least you brought this point up, which many people seem to forget. I admit that when Frontier premiered, I was probably well out of the target audience range. Whenever this show starts, I can be sure I'm not in the target audience range. In fact, I'm sure many of us here are not in the target audience range. Doesn't mean we can't love or hate it any less. But let's get one thing straight, we're not getting any younger. And if we want to keep Macross going for years to come, we gotta keep the influx of new fans coming. New shows, new merchandise, etc. (Unlike a certain franchise in the USA which relies on nostalgia to keep it's dwindling population going).

Right. I miss the cold war. I miss people telling me that I was going to be shot at and living in a series of bunkers after a nuclear winter. Made kids tough.

But let's get one thing straight, we're not getting any younger. And if we want to keep Macross going for years to come, we gotta keep the influx of new fans coming. New shows, new merchandise, etc. (Unlike a certain franchise in the USA which relies on nostalgia to keep it's dwindling population going).

To me, one of the things that's kept Macross fresh and interesting is the way its creators are dedicated to mixing it up and trying to take the successful formula they have to new and different places. Sometimes it goes to places that aren't necessarily to my taste, but it broadens the appeal of the series, it brings in the new fans, and keeps it from falling into the same kind of rut that Universal Century Gundam has... where all we have to wonder at is what we're going to be calling the obvious Space Nazis this year.

Maybe I'm just not old and stodgy enough to belong to the "they changed it, now it sucks" crowd? :rolleyes:

Those are some pretty strong insults. No evidence to back up your statements and not called for.

Eh... considering you opened with a statement that said that Macross 7's appeal was mainly to "highly emotional effeminate males", I'd say their accusations of borderline misogyny and bigotry are probably justified.

No one uses that string of words (which are also laced with borderline homophobia) unless they are trying imply that such a person is "the other" and is somehow a lesser to the masculine men or that masculinity is the "normal." It's a loaded phrase and you're smart enough to know that because you often say such things like, "Basara is clearly a homosexual." You're not being innocent and accepting, you're acting like a whistle blower trying to out someone in a shameful way. Trying to do that is a fiction you are constructing that is implying something is not normal or acceptable.

So stop it.

Spot on Azrael.

I do have to agree, the whining about how M7 isn't for you for whatever reasons has been old for many years now. At this point, that's all it sounds like, no matter what else is said to go along with it. Just sayin'.

Not to go completely off topic, but I'm still trying to figure out why so many people have this idea that because they saw an SDF in the message, there's an automatic conclusion that it'll be a retelling of the original. That SDF was used in the 30th anniversary imagery, and is just about on all the toys released since. It's become more of a symbol for the franchise as a whole. While it'd be cool to see a "Macross the First" type of new series (the VF-1 is probably the most popular selling of the Yamato/Arcadia toys), I'd rather have them do something totally new.

Eh... considering you opened with a statement that said that Macross 7's appeal was mainly to "highly emotional effeminate males", I'd say their accusations of borderline misogyny and bigotry are probably justified.

Wrong. There was no accusation with my descriptors or negative connotation. Did I say there was something wrong with highly emotional effeminate males? If I have a Mexican friend, and I describe him as Mexican, am I insulting him? Am I being a biggot? No. I am making a factual statement.

If you are going to claim that Macross 7 was not as successful as the original while also noting it was popular among "highly emotional effeminate males" then you are implying that type of person being the demographic is why it wasn't as successful because otherwise there is no reason to mention that in the same statement. You are using "effeminate" in a derogatory way. Your opinion seems to be that "effeminacy" and "emotionality" are problems for the fandom and for Macross.

Your analogy does not hold up because you are not using your friend's heritage to imply anything. You are being blind to your own bigotry.

So Stop it.

Amazing news.

I'd love a new story. But I still really see SDFM as my touchstone on the universe - I'd like a mature, more adult take on the universe. Less Seven and more Plus. Frontier was great but lacked cohesiveness.

Not to go completely off topic, but I'm still trying to figure out why so many people have this idea that because they saw an SDF in the message, there's an automatic conclusion that it'll be a retelling of the original.

Simple... because that's what Sunrise is doing with Gundam. They've announced that Mobile Suit Gundam: the Origin is getting a series of four movies starting next year, so the conclusion a lot of folks are jumping to is that Macross will follow their lead with an animated version of their own original series retelling... Macross the First.

Man really??? I hope not. Gone are the good scripts, ideas, can not expand at all. come on people.

Well, what are you asking me about? Yes, Sunrise has committed to do a four-movie animated adaptation of the manga Mobile Suit Gundam: the Origin starting in 2015. To me, that's not necessarily a bad thing. Like Macross the First, Gundam: the Origin isn't a straight retelling of the original story... they mix things up, they add a bunch of new stuff, and do it all without sacrificing all the stuff that made the original great. I've been following both, and I honestly enjoyed Gundam: the Origin quite a bit... esp. that new story arc that chronicles the Zabi family's rise to power and how Casval Rem Deikun came by the alias Char Aznable.

Now, to be honest, I very much doubt that the new Macross series we've been promised will be an animated version of Macross the First. Why? Mainly because Macross the First still isn't very far along in its story. As of Volume 5 of the series, we've really only gotten to around the events of "Longest Birthday" (SDF:M Ep.8). Laplamiz and Milia have only JUST appeared for the first time, but haven't gotten to do anything yet, and Hikaru's acquired his wingmen and given Minmay his medal. The rest of 5 is an original story arc that's a flashback to an Anti-UN attack on South Ataria on Christmas 2008... which throws us a couple of neat tidbits like VF-0's sortieing from the Asuka II's sister ship Graf Zeppelin II (CVN-100), and what looks to be the first use of VF-1 Valkyries in combat. However, Kawamori doesn't really seem the type to bow to nostalgia and retread old ground unless it's his trademark total re-imagining of the story... and Macross the First probably wouldn't fit that.

I know A1 well enough to know he's not being bigoted. This is definitely not the place for this discussion, but I am pretty sure what he is referring to is an overall lack of strength (read: manliness) in M7. The Gar is not strong with it (not that Macross ever really is, outside of Guld). We're old-school fans who want that old-school flavor.

And please, the M7 wars took place a very long time ago on these forums, and we're way past that. If it's brought up its more tongue-in-cheek if anything. Nothing to see here folks; move along.

You are not correct. I do not the above. Here is a list of threads I have participated in that have nothing to do with M7, nor did the subject come up:

Macross The First

Macross in the weirdest places

Character Art Appreciation Thread III

Happy Birthday, Minmay!

I am a weird macross fan...

Favorite Macross YouTube Vids

Best copy of COMPLETE dyrl movie

VF-1A to 1S, ppgrade or complete replacement when promoted in DYRL?

Funniest Macross Moment?

Who remembers this?

Zentraedi/Meltrandi Technology

SDFM ending credits

Tribute to the DYRL Toho Dub

Gold Book Club Members

English Dubbed DYRL :(

WTF is this?

DRYL remastered DVD release

Nerdiest Macross Moment :p

Macross TV or DYRL?

Valkryie Practicallity

LOL Macross Sizes

Look Up, Look Up, Look Up!

Super Dub Fortress Macross on Hulu

Will we ever see a Macross Rocket Punch?

Macross II

What would you prefer?

If we are talking about a new show, isn't it pertinent to discuss other launches of other Macross sequels? Certainly more to the point of this thread than pasting fan fiction stuff.

You're right, I am not correct. Twenty-six threads NOT bitching about Macross 7. You must be proud. OK, let me give you the benefit of the doubt here and say you posted ten -- bah, hell, make twenty -- times in each of those threads. That is a total of 520 non-M7 bitch posts. Looking at your count as it stands now, you have 6465 in total. That's 12.4%. I don't know, but that's really not enough to convince me.

Besides, at the end of the day, even if a guy on a murder trial pleads to the judge "But your Honour!! Look at the 7 BILLION people I DIDN'T kill!!", I think it's safe to say he isn't walking free -- unless there is something seriously wrong with the judicial system.

I think you have a very narrow view of what an old-school anime is actually like.

I have a very specific view of what old-school Macross is like. I've been watching all flavors of anime for 30+ years, and I don't lean in any specific direction. Edited by Duke Togo

I think if they were to put in a gay hero in macross he would have to be a hard gay like the characters in Gears of War. Haha.

Make them destroid pilot, and definitely he has to be bald. I think a post apoc world with bikers in leather outfit fighting a dictatorship which censored certain types of music would be a good setting. You guys saw road warrior right?

This is set waaay into the future and earth was destroyed again like in the rain of death episode in SDFM ad all the trees and plants were destroyed and its just desert. The valkyrie is in place of the v8 interceptor and extremely rare robot. The cops can't handle the anarchistic gangs and are all corrupt by this time anyway. And so a gay masculine zentradi defector who use to repair weapons decides to fight the gangs and fight the dictatorship to obtain freedom to sing (songs and emotion is banned just like in the movie Equilibrium) and unite the sides.

Destroids are the only robots powerful enough to take on the two sides and bring true peace. Valkries are too fast and too rare to be used in underground bases where the cities are at this time. At the end of the story it is discovered he is bi-sexual and he leaves his human boyfriend which results in a fight between a destroid and valkyrie which is piloted by the jealous ex. After the destroid shoots down the stolen valk the public is safe from wars and can sing songs and people can have sex to repopulate earth once more.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

I think if they were to put in a gay hero in macross he would have to be a hard gay like the characters in Gears of War. Haha.

*snip*

Make them destroid...

*snip*

I think your right, we need more Destroids. I imagine them as colorful painted background dancers for the first all Valkyrie idol group. They even perform in their Valkyries with Valkyrie-sized instruments. They also transform.... into surf boards!

And than the Destroids get all brutally murdered by the alien attack without having any characterization and screen time outside of the dance numbers. Don't worry there are many Desdroid pilots they get replaced fairly quickly and already in the next episode they are happily dancing again. :)

Barney-fake-shooting-himself-in-the-head

LOL... Doogei Howser? What's he doing in my Macross World forums?

BTW...

I'm surprised how many people tend to "take sides" regarding the new series setting. It should be either brand new stuff or an exact remake. Why can't it be a mix of both? Yamato 2199 did it already and it was great...

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

Jeez, this thread is inane. Somebody wake me up when there is actual news about the new series.

It's kinda turned into one of those Robotech threads. There really isn't anything to talk about until some real news comes out. They might be better off just locking it down for the time being.

Bobby is more than enough hero for any Macross show. ;-)

There's the real hole in Agent ONE's carping about "highly emotional effeminate males"... Bobby Margot is simultaneously the most effeminate male in Macross and its most hotblooded character. Good times. :D

Jeez, this thread is inane. Somebody wake me up when there is actual news about the new series.

Should we start calling you Mr. van Winkle, then? It's gonna be a while... they've only just announced the project's existence, so we've probably got a year or so.