NEW MACROSS TV SERIES ANNOUNCED!

Tochiro

Most of us here prolly have picked on Keith at one time or the other over M7. Mostly for fun. Keith's a good sport about it, tho. He even likes MII now!

However, I reckon some other members just take it way too personally when one somehow makes an opinion dismissive of M7.

::shrugs::

(damn formatting)

Edited by treatment

Not to pull a Horshack over here, but did anybody agree or disagree with the idea that music having visible, pseudo-magical effects is the norm in Macross post-DYRL, rather than an anomaly confined mainly to M7?

I think it would be hard to say music in Macross hasn't taken a more mystical quality post DYRL. Sharon Apple is basically a techno siren and Sara's ability to command the Bird Human's powers is controlled via music. And we of course get Frontier's take on music and inter galactic space bug networking.

Kawamori seems to be tying music to a lot of highly mysterious technology or alien species in a way that shows there's a lot of "power" to singing.

I'm a new poster, and I have definitely noticed the way that M7 serves as a lightning rod and a polarizing force around here, but I'm not personally put off by it. A lot of great discussion results; I wish the other series inspired as much conversation.

I agree 100%, but unfortunately we can't really strike down a member's post everytime they mention M7 even though you know it's going to devolve into a mess of a discussion. I am aware of two individuals that bring it up as a flame but honestly the other side take the bait so easily. On this very thread, AgentOne mentioned it on one post and people argued it for 3 pages before he even came back to make another post. That tells me that either people enjoy the discussion or they're just easy to flame. Some of it is relevant to the new series and is interesting but of course it's all mixed in with the argumentative posts.

I agree 100%, but unfortunately we can't really strike down a member's post everytime they mention M7 even though you know it's going to devolve into a mess of a discussion.

Oh, please don't feel that I was saying M7 discussion should be curtailed in any way. I think it's (mostly) wonderful - it's just interesting that one series drives so many of the posts.

Kawamori seems to be tying music to a lot of highly mysterious technology or alien species in a way that shows there's a lot of "power" to singing.

You know you want to say it ;-)

%255BEveTaku%255D_AKB0048_-_26_END_%2528

Oh, please don't feel that I was saying M7 discussion should be curtailed in any way. I think it's (mostly) wonderful - it's just interesting that one series drives so many of the posts.

You know what? I think it is healthy that there is M7 argument-shenanigans here. At least, there's some really core arguments about Macross stuff on both sides.

It is relatively about 10x better than the monumentally eye-rolling stupid 'shipping wars that so-called Frontier-"fans" engaged in on several anime forums.

Memes are a very powerful thing.

You know you want to say it ;-)

%255BEveTaku%255D_AKB0048_-_26_END_%2528

~kirara~

Honestly given where the highly regarded Gundam Unicorn took Newtype powers, I think Macross has gotten off a lot better with how things were extrapolated from the original.

Basara as a character was poorly portrayed. The closest pop culture character to him would be James Bond, in that both characters are immutable. They never change, but their circumstances do. The principal difference is that Bond regularly got injured, was in peril for his life, was tricked, beat up and even fallible. Basara came across as none of these, but more a "superman" and as a main character he became boring and predictable. Such a character makes a 49 episode series very, very long, when they get most of the screentime...

I've described Basara as more a force of nature than a character before. I still stand by that opinion.

JBO's assertion about Chiba is bang on IMHO. The "magic" aspect of the assertion climaxed when song energy withstood a Macross Cannon type of blast from Grabil. The incident snapped whatever suspension of disbelief I had left. For the most part, many of the new aspects introduced into the universe were pretty inventive. The PD, the ancient archive that could only be opened by a half breed, the emigration program and New emigration fleet of ships. Even the idea of anima spiritia, whereby a musician with sufficient passion can emotionally influence others is a strong theme. Giving substantive, "quantifiable energy" to an emotional activity, pushed things too far for my tastes.

Remove the Chiba aspects and shrink the show down to 25 episodes and I could come to really really like this chapter of the universe.

I don't think the run time is as bad as all that. It only really staggers after Operation Stargazer to me, aside from Hurricane Basara hogging the spotlight all the time.

And yeah, there's a lot of really good stuff in there.

I even like Basara sometimes. He's really fun in small doses. He just can't hold the spotlight for a year-long run without overstaying his welcome. Especially when there's so much OTHER drama going on around him.

Put the spotlight on Mylene, make the sound energy less blatant, and the show'd be great.

And I think that's part of why Mac7 draws so much lightning down, is it's got a lot of potential, and comes SO CLOSE, then it stumbles at some critical moment.

And for all that, I'm pretty ambivalent towards 7. I don't regret watching it, but I don't really love it.

I DO love Dynamite 7, though.

All that said, I would not mind seeing another show LIKE Macross 7. Just not exactly like.

This would only work if they turned the Macross 30 video game into an anime and also the VF-9 got introduced in 2021 so it wouldn't turn up in a sequel to SDFM and it would have been scrapped a long time ago to turn up in a sequel to Macross Frontier but it could be used in a stand alone series that takes place in the 2020's.

Actually the plot of Macross the Ride involves Valkyrie races/competitions and VFs from all eras compete. One guy was flying a modified VF-1++ with VF-22 engines or something, then he upgraded to a VF-0 with VF-25 engines lol. So that's the appeal, the ability to have almost any VF take part without having to worry about military effectiveness and service life. They don't need to animate the video game to add the YF-30 to the plot, just set it anytime after the -30 was created and have one show up for some reason.

As a vehicle to sell custom model kits, it already succeeded. Animated series tend to sell music, toys and figures. It must also have the trademark macross love triangle. Sponsors and studio execs will insist on this formula because in their limited creative understanding, the "method" works...

Not sure if the ride has the love triangle or the music subplots but those can be easily added. Toy sales would be guaranteed because after seeing it animated I'm sure a -19ACTIVE (and -19EF) would sell like hotcakes. Like I said, doubt they will do it now but somewhere down the line an adaptation is possible.

As for this series, hope they go with female main pilot (which The Ride has) and/or male singer. Shake things up a bit.

I must say that even though I would prefer and think it's overall better for the next series to be completely original instead of a remake or an adaptation of something else, I would not mind an adaptation of Macross the Ride.

Or at least they should hire the same character designer for the new series, I mean Risa Ebata did a good job with frontier but the characters of the Ride look great.

th_MR2.jpgth_MR3.jpg

Not sure if the ride has the love triangle or the music subplots but those can be easily added. Toy sales would be guaranteed because after seeing it animated I'm sure a -19ACTIVE (and -19EF) would sell like hotcakes. Like I said, doubt they will do it now but somewhere down the line an adaptation is possible.

As for this series, hope they go with female main pilot (which The Ride has) and/or male singer. Shake things up a bit.

I'm not 100% sure, but I read somewhere that Chelsea Scarlett (the main character of Macross the Ride) tried to become a singer/idol when she was young, there's even a special manga chapter where she sings:

th_MR1.jpg

And I think that along the story there's a love triangle developing between Chelsea, Hakuna and Magdalena (the character chart I posted up, shows that Chelsea changes from "team mate" to "Kōi/love" the same Magdalena has), so in the end, Macross the Ride has the three main themes or "pillars" of any macross animation or they could always change things a bit if it's not enough.

Edited by Dash

There's a Macross the Ride manga? If so, where can I shove money at my screen? :)

I would gladly give my money for a Macross the Ride manga, but sadly it was just a special side story titled "D-days" that came with the Visual Book vol. 2

Every series has it's good and it's bad. From being an outsider only 2 years ago, to watching every single Macross show in depth.

I can say standing back, there's only a few types on here.

Fans ( they generally like everything )

Casual Anime fans ( Pretty open, lightly opinionated )

Macross enthusiasts ( they will argue the merits )

Film elitest ( Follow me or hear my opinion about how you suck )

Anime Elitest ( Your ear will hurt )

Typical forum douche ( yeah, these guys are everywhere, basically just minor trolls.)

I heard some pretty distasteful views about M7, but I don't understand why so much hate is put with it.
It was different, and a new stretch, but it's not that bad. There are plenty of worse animations.
If anything it was just a long Fire Bomber Music collage.

How the heck a discussion on new series turned into Macross 7 vs other Macross sequels yet again?

Maybe its time for me to pop in the Mac 7 DVDs for old times sake ...

BOMMMMBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

It could always be so much worse than Macross 7. The topic could turn into a discussion of Macross II :p:lol:

*hides from Seto*

What? No! Prepare to defend yourself cause it's time for a prissy internet slap fight! En garde :D

What? No! Prepare to defend yourself cause it's time for a prissy internet slap fight! En garde :D

Not in the face! :D

Fear not, I just didn't want to waste the opportunity to pester a friend. I'll make it up to you M2 fans in the next update of my website; I got a small but very awesome addition to that section :wub:

Edited by Mr March