NEW MACROSS TV SERIES ANNOUNCED!

Tochiro

Actually, it seems to me that Bandai is sort of playing catch-up.

Bandai wanted NOTHING to do with Macross for the longest time, and even when the Deculture edition was still in production (and I think maybe even after it aired in December 2007) I believe Bandai was not yet on board. It was not until after the Deculture episode proved the potential of the show that Bandai came around. Why else would Bandai have put their B-team (Boys' Hobby Division) on the first VF-25 Chogokin design, which ended up being total garbage, instead of the A-team (Collectors Division), as they have done for these new products that are ONLY NOW coming out five years after the show ended.

Bandai had ZERO to do with Macross Zero (aptly, haha), and whenever Yamato brought out a new VF-1, Bandai woke up from its slumber and churned out reissue after reissue of the 1/55s. They still have not made a full Chogokin of the Aquarion Evol figure.

Bandai has had decades of not giving a crap about Macross and until very recently its releases tended to be reactionary, to capitalize on a market made lucrative by competitors.

So I guess someone out there is buying enough transforming Macross mecha to force Bandai to give a "crap"....which is why that "pillar" of Macross is staying put no matter how many units of CDs outsell units of toys....

It costs a lot of money to design and produce a transforming robot toy which is not true of a fixed posed figure. It is why there are at least ten times the number of Sheryl and Ranka figures when compared to the Valkyries which at best are at four unique molds for Frontier stuff. You see it with the YF-29 and how they are trying to release more variants so they can recoup their initial investment in creating all the tooling so they produce them in low numbers just enough to turn a profit.

Yes, of course they are more expensive...but as I pointed out...when a show sponsor like Bandai holds exclusive rights....with no one able to compete with them (currently and specifically to the argument: the MF PT VF license)...they would be foolish not to exploit the demand...

But read Renato's post....it basically supports what I have been saying all along....the market for transforming Macross toys is not dead....Bandai realized it late....but they realized it nonetheless....so let's stop the illusion that any Macross TV show will ever not include all three pillars of Macross...especially transforming mecha...and especially now that we are seeing Bandai the giant awaken from such a long slumber and is now producing quality Macross toys that fans seem to actually want and purchase....don't think Bandai will want to stop that source of revenue and will certainly want to continue it on the coming new Macross TV show....

Well, considering that Bandai will most likely have the monopoly on the production of such merchandise for the next TV series, it's not hard to imagine that they will produce as many or as little as they see fit.......judging by their late entry/realization of demand for PT VFs, for a 7 year old show they hold sole license for, I think it's obvious they now know the demand for Macross transforming toys did not completely disappear and they'll probably be much quicker about releasing PT VFs for the new show....in whatever amounts they think the market can handle.....

I just realised Macross 7 and Plus were released in the 10th anniversary of DYRL. Maybe the upcoming TV Series will begin sooner than I predicted... perhaps even next year?! (with the premier shown at the end of this year) :blink: to celebrate the 30th Anniversary of DYRL?

Since we are talking DYRL... What if the new series is going to be Macross: Megaroad? :lol:

I didn't insinuate it. If you inferred it, then you were mistaken. What I am saying is that, based on Frontier's success, music is most likely going to be THE major focus of any new show. Valks are nowhere near as important to most Frontier fans in Japan.

So long as they've learned their lesson from M7 that regurgitating the same one of few songs over and over again does not constitute a soundtrack!

Further to Gubaba's point, any TV series is a major financial investment and no business school graduate has the stones to change the "Macross Formula" on such an expensive endeavor. The three pillar TV formula will remain until Macross is no more... :mellow:

...any TV series is a major financial investment and no business school graduate has the stones to change the "Macross Formula" on such an expensive endeavor. The three pillar TV formula will remain until Macross is no more... :mellow:

LOL....would have been great for you to have said this back on page 21 of this thread! :)

I agree the 3 pillars will be there but they can change the ratio if them laying more emphasis in one or two pillars.

Personally they can have less music, valks and more character story.

I think it would be a great idea to go through the same speculation thread for Macross Frontier and check if there are similarities. If not it would be interesting to see how the Macross fandom evolved since the last show. ;)

And this the 2nd time we've had to lock this thread. When I reopen it, anyone who wants to do this kind of silly argument again gets a insta-ban.

Is there one event (industry show, show premier, magazine publication, etc.) that is likely to have an update on this production?

I'm equal parts curious and anxious to find out the direction and theme this will take.

-b.

• 2 weeks later...

In saying that each Macross story is a parallel universe that would mean that each story had to have happened before each series but in some alternate way?

Like its obvious that each Valk is a step up from the previous Valks or a upgraded variant,so each series would have to be connected to the story of the preivous series in some way or the other, If you get my meaning. So I suppose the 'Everything is canon,Nothing is canon' is semi true.

Sothe new series (if not a reboot of SDF) would have to follow on from MF,unless its telling a spin off story. The MF series we know though could be altered for the new series,or not. But the Valk would be the next model after the VF25.

TL;DR is Valk progression the staple that connects the series together from one to the other?

Edited by Vepariga

I just wanted to preface this by saying that I am not trying to pick on you or anything, but I wanted to throw my two cents in with my thoughts on the new show with regards to these three-pillar remarks people are throwing around. Then there's that Macross II comment... :p

Other than the parallel universe aspect that's pretty much what Frontier was. There's enough fluidity with Macross history that each series builds on old elements in different ways and has a unique feel.

I think what you guys really want is just a way to have your macross cake and eat it too. Like somehow putting the shows in the same universe makes you automatically compare them in rather unfair ways. A new universe could be as easily disappointing as Macross II was but I guess having to only judge it against itself would help mitigate the letdown?

To me it seems like maybe you could should just check out some of dozens of other mecha shows both past and present if Macross isn't doing it for you.

Well when you say "other larger mecha franchises" you basically mean Gundam because very little else even compares to that beast and fewer series even get a single sequel let alone the many Macross has gotten.

Also not to pick on Mr. March but,

This really sounds like you want a sequel to the original Macross that is not the ones you dislike. I mean there already was a sequel to the original Macross that wasn't in II's universe and that was Macross 7. I know you didn't like it but I'm sorry to say it is a big part of what shaped Macross what it is today. Frankly the worship for the original series is getting almost fetishistic and does not line up with what is actually going on with the desires of the Japanese fan base so expecting something else is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

If it weren’t for SDF Macross none of us would be here right now. Be it new fans to the series, or whatever the Japanese fan base now seems to desire as you suggest, it’s not unreasonable to want something that is rooted in the original. Otherwise you might as well call the show something other than Macross. A new alternate universe could be just what we need, whether it is a success or a disappointment is all a matter of opinion.

As for Macross II, calling it a disappointment is, again, all a matter of opinion – there are many of us who adore the show. :p

Edited by Oihan

If it weren’t for SDF Macross none of us would be here right now. Be it new fans to the series, or whatever the Japanese fan base now seems to desire as you suggest, it’s not unreasonable to want something that is rooted in the original. Otherwise you might as well call the show something other than Macross. A new alternate universe could be just what we need, whether it is a success or a disappointment is all a matter of opinion.

A beginning is often just that: a beginning. Macross isn't like Gundam where trying to recapture the lightning in a bottle of the original required extreme fidelity like Gundam the Origin or outright rehashing like Gundam SEED. The fact that Macross hasn't done that in an animated production and has found much more (financial) success doing what it's been doing for decades now and at this point in time is popular because of stuff like Frontier makes me think they are not going to return to an SDF Macross style show. They will pay respect to SDF Macross just as every new series in the franchise has done, but Kawamori is clearly not tied down to the original in a strict sense.

As for Macross II, calling it a disappointment is, again, all a matter of opinion – there are many of us who adore the show.

It was enough of a disappointment for Big West.

We need more facts on that other than the wikipedia entry, which only says the first two volumes sold well in America. Antibiotictab mentioned on the Macross Speakerpodcast that no one in Japan was really paying attention to it at the time.

For me I think it would be nice to see a series of smaller scale like Macross Plus. I think that it has more general audience appeal and the scaled down nature of a smaller story would lend to better production value overall. And for Pete's sake bring back Shinichiro Watanabe.

- Nghia

We need more facts on that other than the wikipedia entry, which only says the first two volumes sold well in America. Antibiotictab mentioned on the Macross Speakerpodcast that no one in Japan was really paying attention to it at the time.

The Japanese wiki page does mentions its sales success a bit (the Japanese releases that is).

初代スタッフの板野一郎は「『マクロスII』というのがなかったら、僕は『MACROSS PLUS』はやらなかったと思いますよ。『マクロスII』が、僕達の思ってた『マクロス』と繋がっていなかったもので」と述べている[2]ただし、セールスは満足な結果を残しており、大畑によれば「予想を上回るビデオの売上げにスポンサーの方からは『マクロスIII』の話さえ出た」という[3.

Trans. : Original staff member Ichiro Itano said "If it was not for Macross II, I would not have done Macross Plus. Macross II did not make links to what we thought was Macross. However, sales [of Macross II] left a satisfactory result, according to Ohata "Sales surpassed predictions and the sponsors even talked about a Macross III"

The quote by Kouichi Ohata references Figure Oh Issue #43.

The above quote does kinda make sense. I mean if Macross II bombed then I would imagine that it'd be difficult for the Macross Plus OVA series (which came very shortly afterwards) to get sponsorship funding.

But I've always thought Macross II sold quite well (at least in Japan). Over here in the states, I could understand the quick poor reception due the truly horrid dub and "movie" version hack job.

Edited by Vifam7

The movie version only clipped the openings & endings between eps.

And it's still free, and legal, to watch on YouTube through Manga Entertainment depending where you live. Don't know if that's a good sign of how popular it was in the U.S., as they're also offering other stuff for free as well, like the first Dead Space movie.

The Japanese wiki page does mentions its sales success a bit (the Japanese releases that is).

Thanks for the translation, that's very interesting. I had always thought that Macross II's Japanese sales figures were mediocre at best, which would've explained the tremendous drop in animation quality for episode 6, and the unfortunate fact that only 1 plastic model kit was ever released for the show (although I do realize that several garage kits were released for it). That, combined with the series' expulsion from the canon timeline in 1994, indicated to me that Macross II didn't meet its sales projections. I guess truth truly is stranger than fiction. :)

Thanks for the translation, that's very interesting. I had always thought that Macross II's Japanese sales figures were mediocre at best, which would've explained the tremendous drop in animation quality for episode 6, and the unfortunate fact that only 1 plastic model kit was ever released for the show (although I do realize that several garage kits were released for it). That, combined with the series' expulsion from the canon timeline in 1994, indicated to me that Macross II didn't meet its sales projections. I guess truth truly is stranger than fiction. :)

OAVs (direct to video animation releases) generally do not get much merchandising support. Gundam 0083 which came around the sametime as Macross II was a huge success, yet all it got (IIRC) was five 1/144 scale kits. OAVs basically depend on the sales of DVDs and Blu-ray discs (or VHS tapes and laserdiscs back in the day).

To my knowledge, the reason why Macross II was cast off from the canon timeline was because when Kawamori came back to do Macross, he didn't want to work within the constraints of the post-DYRL canonity that Macross II and various PC98/PC Engine games had somewhat established. Keeping in mind that until Macross Plus/7 arrived, the DYRL timeline was considered to be the canon timeline.

Edited by Vifam7

I understand that OAV's generally receive no model/toy merchandising. But since Macross II was probably the most anticipated OAV of 1992, I just figured that it would've been the exception to the norm. Just curious, but do you know if there's any mention as to how the transformable VF-2SS model kit sold?

I compeltely agree that Macross II's removal from the main canon had more to do with Kawamori's prerogatives than its sales figures. But around that time period, it was easy for me to jump to the wrong conclusion.

In retrospect, episode 6's dismal animation was probably due to the animators simply falling behind schedule, rather than being indicative of financial problems.

This is the real problem with any sequel, not just Macross. Once the first Macross was released, the world is forever and unavoidably in a post-Macross existence. It can't be taken back. As such, no audience will find a sequel as enjoyable or fresh as they did before the original was released. So each sequel will be plauged by ever diminishing returns. As creators the writers try to find ways to make sequels different than the original specifically because more of the same is a downward spiral where familiarity breeds contempt. In the case of Macross, you also have one guy creating the franchise and there is his interest/motivation to take into account, which is obviously a big deal for Kawamori (as it should be for any writer interested in maintaining creativity). So I really like the idea of Macross playing broadly with the formula, even when it fails. Personally, I'd rather suffer an interesting failure than endure mediocrity.

Looking forward to where they'll take the series in terms of the antagonist....so far we've had alien aggressors, space whale poachers, maniacal humans and their out of control AI, mankind, the anti-UN, Supervision Army, Protoculture-created bio-weapons, and maniacal cyborgs and their manipulated bio-weapon-equipped-time-space-fold-networking space insects (or something like that!)......

Watched Macross Zero recently...and the premise of the Bird Human reminded me of the movie Prometheus....wonder if there are other "Bird "humans" out there on other planets....like Zola...ready to wipe them out if they get too close to bringing war-like ways to the universe....then again, are the Zolans yet another creation of the Protoculture?...I thought I read somewhere that they were...but not 100% sure....

Question. Is the series or movie version of Frontier considered cannon? Just popped into my head that if the new series followed the movie (asuming that its a sequel without a huge time skip again) then Isamu is still around :D

So is Michel.

& Pres. Glass

& Nanase's left eye.

That's one of the biggest problems with the Frontier movies. I liked them, but things ended up SO different from the series. At least SDFM & DYRL killed off the same people, but in different ways.