NEW MACROSS TV SERIES ANNOUNCED!

Tochiro

Seems that way... Macross 30 seems to have been kind of a big deal, since the Bandai DX version of Leon Sakaki's YF-30 Chronos wasn't the only one they made for it either. IINM, they've also done Rod Baltemar's YF-29B Percival and the YF-29s flown by Ozma Lee and Isamu Dyson in the game.

I loved Macross Frontier, and thought Macross Zero was pretty fine as well. Macross 7 was the only one that didn't really do anything for me (initially). I've warmed to 7 in the past year or two.

I watched 7 a way while back, thought it was ok (good to see Max, Miriya and Exedor again. But It seemed like there was too much filler and repeated battles. I think it would have been way better if they tightened it up to perhaps 36 episodes, trim some of the fluff and concentrate on the the 2 or three story arcs that were intertwined in it.

That said, I'm psyched to have more Macross, in any form, coming in. I'm rewatching Frontier again now (started after hearing the news of the new show). I loved Yamato 2199, with the updating and filling of logic holes, and would be totally up with a similar treatment, but I'll take new stories as well.

I do think it might be hard to go backwards, timewise. People are all conditioned to VF-25/29 levels of performance...having VF-1's doing this stuff would seem a bit much for 2009 (and we can handwave a lot of the advances for the 25's 'cuz it's far in the future).

I could deal with a chage of location from one of the island fleets, though. Shaking it up somehow would be good. I didn't see the 30'th stuff, I presume it was some sort of race concept? Being set on some colony world set up by one of the fleets would be fine, but might seem too similar to SDFM unless the "enemy" is different enough.

But as long as it has good songs, a decent lover triangle and SOMETHING that goes in gerwalk mode I'll be happy. :}

I do think it might be hard to go backwards, timewise. People are all conditioned to VF-25/29 levels of performance...having VF-1's doing this stuff would seem a bit much for 2009 (and we can handwave a lot of the advances for the 25's 'cuz it's far in the future).

I dunno, man... people didn't seem to have much difficulty accepting the sudden step WAY backwards to the VF-0 and its regular turbine engines in Macross Zero, despite the fact that the previous Macross title had been Macross Dynamite 7. Likewise, I have yet to encounter anyone who's seriously put off by the step way backwards Gundam is doing with Gundam the Origin or Macross did with Macross the First. Or, for that matter, the 20+ year backwards step Macross M3 made to the days before the VF-11 was even completed...

I could deal with a chage of location from one of the island fleets, though. Shaking it up somehow would be good. I didn't see the 30'th stuff, I presume it was some sort of race concept?

Actually, the one that was about air racing was Macross the Ride, a serialized novel in Dengeki Hobby magazine. Macross 30 is set on the colony world of Ouroboros, a former Protoculture world, where a SMS pilot named Leon Sakaki is stranded when he's shot down by a rogue New UN Forces Independent Special Command unit that's trying to use a Protoculture bio-mecha (an 8th Ehvil series unit) and the planet's unique characteristics to alter history. Macross 30 was a PS3 game, and every level but the opening "supposed-to-lose" fight is set planetside and features VFs from across 50 years of timeline (from the VF-0 to the YF-30.)

A little delayed since I'm busy but I would disagree on DYRL only being good for people familiar with SDF Macross. While familiarity with SDF Macross helps I think DYRL functions as a standalone film. The same is true of MacPlus Movie Edition (although that obviously wasn't much of a challenge).

Yeah, that came to light relatively recently with their latest bout of legal threats... though they can renew that license, so I'd not make any long-term plans for partying.

I know nothing about licensing, but wouldn't it be better for Big West or whoever to tell them to scram and sell it to someone who will promote and do something with the series and not sit on it for another 30 years.

Not gonna happen... unless Harmony Gold goes under, or does something to get themselves sued into oblivion. Their license doesn't expire until 2022.

Well by then either WB will buy out their interests in the property entirely or they'll simply have milked the poor RT fans dry with all the repacked versions of the exact same products they've been flogging for the past 30 years...

Once that happens the cost benefit of keeping the license won't be worth it anymore.

Keeping a property ransom only works if your target it willing to pay. Big West isn't willing to pay, so HG is kinda screwed in their efforts to extort royalties for new Macross projects. The interweb and import laws are also undermining HG's business model. We can see the Macross shows online and then import the Blurays without interference. So long as BW keeps adding English Subtitles, and sites like Hobby Link Japan exist, they can export Macross all they want! :lol:

Edited by Zinjo

Wont ever happen until HG dies.

Not gonna happen... unless Harmony Gold goes under, or does something to get themselves sued into oblivion. Their license doesn't expire until 2022.

This is a shame. HG doesn't do anything of interest to me. They or Toynami could have finished that Beagle Ride Armor / Cyclone for Rook. Other than that I haven't purchased Robotech anything for years. The last thing was the complete 2 disc CD sometime around 1999 or early 2000s. I'll get a Robotech Blu-ray if they decide to stop with all the different DVD sets.

I just don't want to watch a few episodes of the new series on Youtube like I did last time with Frontier and realize that I'm missing a lot of quality animation.

I know I am late to the party as I just found out about this...and I know this has already been mentioned, but what if it is a reboot/remake of Macross TV? o.O Considering how well Space Battleship Yamato 2199 turned out...I can only imagine with Macross TV. Considering how good the pachinko footage looked too...oh the possibilities! :wub:

Whatever the case may be, I cannot wait to find out more on this series!

I know I am late to the party as I just found out about this...and I know this has already been mentioned, but what if it is a reboot/remake of Macross TV? o.O Considering how well Space Battleship Yamato 2199 turned out...I can only imagine with Macross TV. Considering how good the pachinko footage looked too...oh the possibilities! :wub:

Whatever the case may be, I cannot wait to find out more on this series!

You're always welcome to the party, you old-timer :)

I agree that a remake would be quite a bit of fun. The Yamato 2199 has turned out incredibly well. I've not gone through enough of it. I really must devote some time to watching it through because it's such a great production. After the next update to my website I'll have time...

You're always welcome to the party, you old-timer :)

I agree that a remake would be quite a bit of fun. The Yamato 2199 has turned out incredibly well. I've not gone through enough of it. I really must devote some time to watching it through because it's such a great production. After the next update to my website I'll have time...

I have a friend who's a long time fan of the Yamato series and he also quite liked it although he also added that the first 6 episodes of 2199 was great but it then didn't follow through with the promising start and seemed that from then on to be dictated and made by committee. By which he meant by those out of the production company, ie. sponsors and business people holding the purse strings.

Felt compromised as a result.

Just a result of doing business these days I guess.

It's pretty much why I remain cautious for the new series, or any remake of Macross really.

That and the DYRL re-release incident. No, I'm not letting that go.

I have a friend who's a long time fan of the Yamato series and he also quite liked it although he also added that the first 6 episodes of 2199 was great but it then didn't follow through with the promising start and seemed that from then on to be dictated and made by committee. By which he meant by those out of the production company, ie. sponsors and business people holding the purse strings.

Felt compromised as a result.

Just a result of doing business these days I guess.

It's pretty much why I remain cautious for the new series, or any remake of Macross really.

That and the DYRL re-release incident. No, I'm not letting that go.

Saddens me to hear that, but I'm going give it a good try and watch it all the way through.

Oh, and none of us are letting the DYRL re-release and/or blu-ray incident go. Not ever. Represent brotha!

Saddens me to hear that, but I'm going give it a good try and watch it all the way through.

Oh, and none of us are letting the DYRL re-release and/or blu-ray incident go. Not ever. Represent brotha!

Oh it's still good according to him, just not as good as the first 6 episodes seem to promise.

I do wonder if those responsible for the DYRL debacle ever took note of the backlash and would help them plan future products better.

Oh who the hell am I kidding, of course not. They're always insulated from their own bad decision, letting the creators take all the blame. If anything they'll take away from this all the wrong lessons. *grrrr*

Oh it's still good according to him, just not as good as the first 6 episodes seem to promise.

His is the only bad reaction I have seen to 2199, my own personal opinion is that it is better then the original in every way.

For Macross, I just want to see a new series, remake, new, whatever, it is all good.

Edited by Dynaman

I do wonder if those responsible for the DYRL debacle ever took note of the backlash and would help them plan future products better.

Oh who the hell am I kidding, of course not. They're always insulated from their own bad decision, letting the creators take all the blame. If anything they'll take away from this all the wrong lessons. *grrrr*

An unfortunate reality. Avoiding responsibility is the number one priority of 99% of the world :)

Incidents like the DYRL re-release are why I've come to dread DVD and Blu-Ray releases of beloved old favorites. And the irony of all this, it's typically the creator themselves that self-censors their own creations. So many of my favorites have been lost to me this way :(

His is the only bad reaction I have seen to 2199, my own personal opinion is that it is better then the original in every way.

For Macross, I just want to see a new series, remake, new, whatever, it is all good.

This. It trumps the original in every way, IMO.

On topic, how long till we get real info on this new series?

Edited by Kyp Durron

This. It trumps the original in every way, IMO.

If we knew this I daresay it would have been front paged by now.

If I had to take a guess (and its nothing more than an educated guess) I'd say news will start to trickle down once the final Macross BD remaster comes out (M2 in late July) at the earliest.

Edited by Tochiro

Any Macross is better than no Macross. Are you saying it never aired in the U.K ? May be not in 1984, but in 1989 it was on the Sky network, that's where my college buddies first saw it. They were all over it, one said have you seen it yet. I told him I saw it back in 1984. He was so disappointed that I'd beaten him to it.

That is news to me. But it is still an obscure title now.

I don't know about info, but at the moment Satelight has 2 shows on (Nobunaga The Fool) and M3 which is supposedly 24 episodes long and will not finish til around october. So while the new Macross series could very well be in pre-production, I wouldn't hold my breath for anything to come out anytime soon.

Both series have been pretty poor BTW. I hope that they don't recycle too many of the creative staff for the Macross project.

Please excuse my ignorance but what's the DYRL debacle?

I don't know about info, but at the moment Satelight has 2 shows on (Nobunaga The Fool) and M3 which is supposedly 24 episodes long and will not finish til around october. So while the new Macross series could very well be in pre-production, I wouldn't hold my breath for anything to come out anytime soon.

Both series have been pretty poor BTW. I hope that they don't recycle too many of the creative staff for the Macross project.

It'll be the same as MF was. A teaser episode in December to call it a "30th Anniversary Series" and then the actual series will begin in August / September of 2015... :p

I won't complain though, at least it isn't 10 years between series like we've had in the past...

Edited by Zinjo

Re: The New Series

I expect more YF-30 (or VF-30, by then) action in the new series, putting it shortly after Macross 30 chronologically.

Spending so much time to develop a new Valkyrie, only to have it used in the last 5% of the video game? Methinks not, especially with how quickly this series is being turned around. Thinking in purely commercial terms, I expect the new series to be populated with 29's and variant 30's, since it is essentially their time to shine.

Even though other non-Macross series are being rebooted, I am leaning away from that being the case here.

Re: Previous Series

I am completely unashamed that Macross 7 is far and away my favorite in the family, and recently introduced two slightly younger casual anime fans (25-26yrs old) to Macross by loaning them the first 1/3 of Robotech (easier to follow, gets most of the basics correct), then Plus, and they're almost done with 7.

To summarize, each has gone over a little better than the last, and the reactions have been as follows:

Robotech Macross Saga: Shows its age, Minmay is annoying but they really thought Rick would end up with her

Plus: "Really uses the music-as-a-weapon thing," (haha wait till 7) and really reminded them of Cowboy Bebop visually

Macross 7: starts out a little slow and repetitive, but by the end it "rocks" (pun very much intended)

I'm eager to see how they receive Zero and Frontier next.

Please excuse my ignorance but what's the DYRL debacle?

I used to think it was about the quality of the DYRL BD format release...

I can't speak for others, but for me the problem I have with the DYRL? Blu-Ray release is primarily the censorship. However, the quality angered me as well. But even more than both of those reasons, the problems with DYRL are just a symptom of a far greater disease that has been plaguing the release of old movies/tv series on DVD and Blu-Ray for years. I've dropped more favorite films from part of my collection than I care to count because of this after-the-fact garbage. Not just censorship (ala Lucas' now infamous Han-shot-first debacle), but other forms of abuse like the infamous DNR (Digital Noise Reduction) on Predator (1987) or the CGI and color grading on Ghost in the Shell.

Edited by Mr March