NEW MACROSS TV SERIES ANNOUNCED!

Tochiro

(Just so long as it doesn't turn out to be a shallow cash-grab 22 minute toy commercial like Gundam Build Fighters.)

Bandai does seem to have gotten itself on a Macross DX producing groove as of late......I'm sure they wouldn't mind keeping that money train going.... :rolleyes:

The next Macross series will consist of a cast of only Meltrans. It'll have a yuri romantic triangle and all the Valks will be VF-11MAXL variants.

:lol: j/k

<.<

>.>

MAKE IT HAPPEN.

Bandai does seem to have gotten itself on a Macross DX producing groove as of late......I'm sure they wouldn't mind keeping that money train going.... :rolleyes:

As nice as the revenue from figure sales is, I just hope Macross never sinks low enough to attempt something like the Gundam Build Fighters series. It doesn't have much of a story, it just feels like Bandai airing out a bunch of unused toy designs. At least Sunrise did a similar airing-out more tastefully when they threw every MSV and its dog at Gundam Unicorn.

I know merchandising is inevitable, but I'd like them to at least make an effort to produce a series that's more than just a toy commercial, y'know?

Edited by Seto Kaiba

I know merchandising is inevitable, but I'd like them to at least make an effort to produce a series that's more than just a toy commercial, y'know?

I'm not worried....Macross has always had a story to tell in their shows.....whether fans liked it or not is a different matter......to me, each had something of interest.....

As for the Macross merchandise juggernaut...it all started with the original series in '82...and boy was there was alot produced!!!.....and then it was mostly dormant until the most recent Macross F installment......as a collector during the entire Macross line of shows.....it's slim pickings, in terms of toys/collectibles, when it comes to every show between SDFM and Macross F......

In short, we really haven't been over saturated (spoiled?) with Macross merchandising during most of the Macross shows....and when we were...I do not think it took anything away from our enjoyment and/or the quality of the show itself.....so bring on the merchandising! :lol:

I'm not worried....Macross has always had a story to tell in their shows.....whether fans liked it or not is a different matter......to me, each had something of interest.....

Same here.

In short, we really haven't been over saturated (spoiled?) with Macross merchandising during most of the Macross shows....and when we were...I do not think it took anything away from our enjoyment and/or the quality of the show itself.....so bring on the merchandising! :lol:

S'long as we've got a show of substance to go with our merchandising, I'm A-OK with it. Though I've always been more of an art books and magazines guy than a toy collector, which kind of puts me in some kind of minority on here. When the DX YF-30 goes on sale it'll be my fourth-ever Macross purchase in that category.

All that hate for Build Fighters! Every Gundam series - arguably most mecha aniime - has been about pushing the merchandise. Sure, it's nice when a good story comes along for the ride, but that depends a lot on the target age group. Personally, I find the explicit "How To Buy Action Figure Man" attitude of Build Fighters refreshing and often tongue-in-cheek hilarious.

Regarding M7, nobody can tell anyone else what to like, but from my own experience the harsh derision directed towards M7 does a disservice to Macross fandom. I grew up watching Robotech on channel 25, watched tapes of DYRL in high school, saw Plus in college, and questionably downloaded Zero and Frontier as they came available ( a story shared by many folks here, I'm sure). But I always avoided M7 because of its terrible reputation in the US. I finally saw it about two years ago, and I did so because I thought it was my "duty" as a fan.

And I loved it. But that's not the point - I get that it's not for everyone. The point is that when folks call it a disappointment and talk about wishing it was never made, they're talking about excluding what is literally the largest (and, prior to Frontier, probably most successful) part of all Macross. That's not a fair representation of the show or the "franchise," and it contributes to folks like me missing out on experiencing it themselves.

Sorry to vent. I just wish I'd seen M7 sooner :-(

(And I totally want a new show about Meltran who are all idols piloting destroids.)

I would liken trying to ignore Macross 7's impact on the series as a whole as being like trying to ignore what Zeta Gundam did for Gundam. A lot of people do not like Zeta these days but to pay it no mind or wish it was never made is trying to ignore the giant singing red robot in the room.

After reading this thread I'm praying for a Macross 7.5 series where we start off right after dynamite!

Just because everyone hates it so much, hell I'm emailing Kawamori this right now.

You tell him from me that if he sticks to what they said in Re:Fire about Basara never coming back to City-7 and makes the story about Mylene, he can go ahead and do that with my full support and blessing.

I will wait and see what gets cooked up.

Said that macross merchandise market is way smaller than other franchises, with bandai having all the good broadcasting slots in Japan.

Unless the new series like Patlabor and other anime will be cable channel exclusive.

The next Macross series will consist of a cast of only Meltrans. It'll have a yuri romantic triangle and all the Valks will be VF-11MAXL variants.

:lol: j/k

As a writter of a FanFic that revolves around a lot of Meltran characters I can tell you that the gigant breast jokes and gigantess fetichism are not funny after two or three chapters :D

I would liken trying to ignore Macross 7's impact on the series as a whole as being like trying to ignore what Zeta Gundam did for Gundam. A lot of people do not like Zeta these days but to pay it no mind or wish it was never made is trying to ignore the giant singing red robot in the room.

Did you mean the red robot that flew into a battlefield fur ball a few dozen times, with an amature pilot at the controls and NEVER EVER suffered a single hit?? Just checking... :rolleyes:

You tell him from me that if he sticks to what they said in Re:Fire about Basara never coming back to City-7 and makes the story about Mylene, he can go ahead and do that with my full support and blessing.

What he said.... B))​

Edited by Zinjo

's it just me, or does that mean Macross Dynamite 7 is Double Zeta? :ph34r:

Did you mean the red robot that flew into a battlefield fur ball a few dozen times, with an amature pilot at the controls and NEVER EVER suffered a single hit?? Just checking...

Ok just to let you know you're not going to win this argument because everything you just said is wrong.

First, Basara is a civilian pilot but not an amateur. He was trained by Ray who was an elite Pink Pecker. He also displays skills with other space bound craft like one of Rex's gang's space bikers and the space vespa stored inside the transport van.

Second, the Fire Valkyire gets hit a lots of times and even gets visibly damaged hence why in some episodes it had to be serviced. It's a very resilient machine because it's the same type as Isamu's which can get blasted through buildings DBZ style.

post-1819-0-72976500-1397689276_thumb.jpg

I was just watching episode 8 and it ends with the Fire Valkyrie being pretty scorched from hits. In episode 5 it gets kicked so hard in the chest Basara suffers a laceration on his arm from getting bounced around by the impact.

If you want to play the tech game, just say its energy converting armor is more optimized for defense since Basara regular puts himself in the path of enemy fire when it's aimed at civilians.

And honestly Gamlin is the one who keeps putting himself in a position where Basara is in the way. He is very undisciplined in early episodes.

Edited by VF5SS

Eh... if their presentation was something more akin to what we see in Macross the First, I could maybe get behind that if it were a short OVA. The problem I see with it is that, unlike Mobile Suits in Mobile Suit Gundam, Macross's destroids are big stompy man-tanks that are all built for very specialized roles. We don't really have a jack-of-all-trades destroid with the operational versatility you'd find in a Mobile Suit, which would kind of limit what could be done with them as the core of a series. The more runny-jumpy low gravity action depicted in Macross the First's fight between Max and Kamjin might make for some interesting combat scenes though.

Eh... would it cheer you up any if I told you that, after years as a member of the "I HATE M7" demographic, I've actually warmed to the series a little? It'll never be my favorite, and somet things could've been done better, but it's not that bad.

Not sure why Macross 7 would be relevant though... I don't think the tone of the industry right now is right for Kawamori to revisit the themes and tone of Macross 7. I expect what we'll get will be something more akin to Macross Frontier in terms of its overall presentation. Something lighthearted, but not exuberantly so the way 7 was. I greatly enjoyed Macross Frontier, so more of the same style of storytelling won't hurt my feelings one bit.

As I see it, a new Macross series is win-win for everyone. Either Kawamori and company will knock it out of the park with another pleasing romp through the fields of awesome-est aerial combat, love comedy, and music, or, failing that, we'll get a show that will still be better than 90% of what's coming out anyway. Wherever Kawamori wants to take the story, it's bound to be an interesting ride, if nothing else.

(Just so long as it doesn't turn out to be a shallow cash-grab 22 minute toy commercial like Gundam Build Fighters.)

Revisit space war I from the perspective of an old man who was there and his grand kid finds minmay's panties in his bedroom which he bought at an auction. (that was like having the "original sextape in your hands" of its time) Aim it at older fans of the original and make fun of them through this old man as a way of saying get over it that one is over. We want to hear the story of a cannon fodder and what it was like to survive as someone with brown paint. I think that would be far better. You saw how nice those pachinko animations were. Were the cannon fodder really as bad as they say? How many hits can a brownie take before it blows up? What would happen if you eject the seat in battroid mode while the battroid is lying on the ground? Do you go "splat" into a concrete wall as it launches you headfirst into danger or just have to let the robot blow up with you inside it as the machine prevents you from ejecting as a safety measure? The brownies who survives the first war are important history.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

[...] He was trained by Ray who was an elite Pink Pecker.

Thank goodness for context... otherwise there's no end of amusing interpretations we could ascribe to Basara being trained by a "Pink Pecker", especially since this is Japan we're talking about.

And honestly Gamlin is the one who keeps putting himself in a position where Basara is in the way. He is very undisciplined in early episodes.

To be fair, I think Gamlin's got a right to be a little PO'd about Basara poking his oar in... the Fire Valkyrie may be a UN Forces black project, but nobody bothered to actually tell the defense forces to look the other way. That it's flown by a civilian, and its conspicuous lack of success against the enemy, would lead most upstanding soldiers to think "We really oughta get that crazy civvie outta here before he gets his dumb ass killed and the brass get on our tits about it."

Seriously though, do we need to keep [harping on / militantly defending] Macross 7? This is about the new series, not a twenty year old one.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

All that hate for Build Fighters! Every Gundam series - arguably most mecha aniime - has been about pushing the merchandise. Sure, it's nice when a good story comes along for the ride, but that depends a lot on the target age group. Personally, I find the explicit "How To Buy Action Figure Man" attitude of Build Fighters refreshing and often tongue-in-cheek hilarious.

Regarding M7, nobody can tell anyone else what to like, but from my own experience the harsh derision directed towards M7 does a disservice to Macross fandom. I grew up watching Robotech on channel 25, watched tapes of DYRL in high school, saw Plus in college, and questionably downloaded Zero and Frontier as they came available ( a story shared by many folks here, I'm sure). But I always avoided M7 because of its terrible reputation in the US. I finally saw it about two years ago, and I did so because I thought it was my "duty" as a fan.

And I loved it. But that's not the point - I get that it's not for everyone. The point is that when folks call it a disappointment and talk about wishing it was never made, they're talking about excluding what is literally the largest (and, prior to Frontier, probably most successful) part of all Macross. That's not a fair representation of the show or the "franchise," and it contributes to folks like me missing out on experiencing it themselves.

Sorry to vent. I just wish I'd seen M7 sooner :-(

(And I totally want a new show about Meltran who are all idols piloting destroids.)

It is so easy of you to say that because you LIKED macross 7. It's like telling people who hated Macross Plus because of the pointy noses that they shouldn't exclude fans of Macross Plus.

If you don't tell them what you liked more, how are the people who make the shows ever going to decide what is appealing to most people? Macross 7 went on for way too long. It had virtually no story to tell apart from singing your heart in live performance is the key to beating the ghost/demon aliens from their depression and sickness which caused them to (like a drug addict who is not productive) leech energy off the people. It's a shame that the original macross tv series only got 36 eps but that got over 50 eps.

I'm sorry but mac 7 sucked compared to SDFM. We all know it. All SDFM macross needed was better animations. With today's CG they could easily recreate smoother and more accurate scenes. "But but but I already saw that I want something new and different" then why not rewatch macross frontier? Having more of the same (frontier) is no different from wanting remade stuff from the past. You thought it was fresh and different. You liked it because it was different. You thought it didn't get a chance to prove itself. We heard it all. But was it better than SDFM? No it wasn't. Never will be. (from a story perspective - it was not as serious as SDFM which had REALISTIC drama. ie Hikaru having to write letters to parents that their son was dead, accepting more responsibility as leader of a squad after Roy's death etc)

In SDFM there was no such thing as super aces or unkillable god-like pilots that makes the enemy pointless to be in the story. Max was the only exception because the whole twist was to make a weak looking guy with glasses who is not confident and cocky like Roy.... into a badass. (it was "fresh" at the time) But if you do the same thing twice it stops being interesting just like telling the same joke over and over again. "But then why would you want a remake" Because to young people it would seem fresh to them much like someone who watches a lot of hollywood super hero movies and they get to see the origin story of characters.

I can watch old classics in live action so why not in animation but with improvements?

But yeah I don't expect the next series to be retelling of space war I. They have to sell more new toys and music cd. I think an OVA would be best to retell stuff. I guess they would have to update the look of some characters like they did for Mac Zero but what you'd get is a more serious story. The thing that is interesting about SDFM is you don't have to accept any of the other shows as canon. It can sit by iteself as a closed story with nothing afterwards. Humanity spread to the star to avoid extinction and saved the giants from brainwashing. The End. They all lived happily ever after. (the problem of war was never truly solved however since humans fight over things all the time including over having the love from the girl/boy and no better than the aliens on the small scale. That means we are hypocrites and will never disarm our weapons in defence which is how the real world is)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Well if you don't like the next Macross series (because it's too much like Macross 7 or whatever) then just don't pirate it. This board does not reflect the intended audience and the majority of its members aren't even in the market where a Macross show can be broadcast.

And even with all this hemming a hawing over Macross 7, it is still undeniably influential on what Kawamori has done in the 20 years since it came out. And right now with 90's kids becoming adults it is the closet and most recognizable nostalgic property for Japanese fans.

Sounds like wishful thinking to me...

If that were the motivation MF would have been a very different series.

I don't hate M7, i just don't want to see a repeat of a long winded show about nothing but a rock band. There were interesting bits of new information about the PC and PD, but that should have been told in a series half as long.

I don't hate M7, i just don't want to see a repeat of a long winded show about nothing but a rock band. There were interesting bits of new information about the PC and PD, but that should have been told in a series half as long.

I don't think that's something we have to worry about... Kawamori doesn't seem to be all that fond of treading old ground.

Seriously though, do we need to keep [harping on / militantly defending] Macross 7? This is about the new series, not a twenty year old one.

We need to stop misrepresenting what happened in the series. We are not Robotech fans here.

We need to stop misrepresenting what happened in the series. We are not Robotech fans here.

Eh... there's a little unwarranted/unnecessary bashing of other Macross titles to be had in here too, but we could all stand to take a step back and remember that our enjoyment (or lack thereof) of a series is purely subjective. After all, there's only the one actually objectively terrible title connected to Macross... its quasi-illegitimate creatively bankrupt counterpart Robotech. ;)

In a franchise as prone to reinventing itself as Macross is, it feels a little like missing the point to take a "They changed it, now it sucks" stance. I mean, it's odds-on that whatever we get from Kawamori and company in the near future won't rigorously follow the footsteps of what came before. They like to mix it up.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

If you don't tell them what you liked more, how are the people who make the shows ever going to decide what is appealing to most people?

I doubt that Kawamori & co. are reading this thread to decide what the show they have already announced will be about. And, if history is any guide, they're going to strike out in a new direction that's different from what fans expected anyhow.

I'm sorry but mac 7 sucked compared to SDFM. We all know it. All SDFM macross needed was better animations. With today's CG they could easily recreate smoother and more accurate scenes. "But but but I already saw that I want something new and different" then why not rewatch macross frontier? Having more of the same (frontier) is no different from wanting remade stuff from the past. You thought it was fresh and different. You liked it because it was different. You thought it didn't get a chance to prove itself. We heard it all. But was it better than SDFM? No it wasn't. Never will be. (from a story perspective - it was not as serious as SDFM which had REALISTIC drama. ie Hikaru having to write letters to parents that their son was dead, accepting more responsibility as leader of a squad after Roy's death etc)

I feel like you're speaking to me directly, because you quoted me. I never said I wanted more Frontier. I never said I didn't want a SDFM reboot. I've said I like a bunch of silly things that were half-jokes, but I'd also enjoy prettymuch any of the ideas raised in this thread. But as for your opinions about SDFM versus M7, I respect them. Please respect that they are opinions and not something everyone knows or agrees with.

More to the point, I am not saying I liked M7 better than SDFM, or Frontier better than Plus, or anything like that. Because there is no "either/or." Like courses in a meal, you can enjoy all of them, or skip any ones you like. There's no need to choose only one, and comparing them "apples-to-apples" is a bit silly.

What I was reacting to was people saying, "I wish I could go back in time, storm the kitchen, and stop the chef from making that terrible salad" or "the salad I had when I was 10 years old was so disappointing that now, as a grown man, I am still upset about it."

So, there you go. Macross 7 is a salad. I'll try not to say anything more about salad here.

whatever they'll throw at us, I'll just stick with the motto : "in Kawamori we trust" and enjoy the ride. unless if Kawamori is not involved, which is highly unlikely.

so, any new hints from Japan sites/blogs?

Well I like M7 the most out of all Macross shows. Best mecha variety, best music, best Miria... the list goes on and on. Of course this could be due to the fact that M7 was the first entry of Macross that I recognized as such so I don't have any nostalgia for SDFM(/RT)/DYRL/Plus that would bias my opinion... ;)

In my opinion the new show will have more M7 in it than SDFM because from my understanding Music was/is the cash cow of Macross Frontier so it would make sense to be focused on idols and music and stuff. And statues of characters in bunny costumes. I hope the new show has those AKB0048 style eyes. They look super cute.

For me the ideal successor to Frontier would be a story about Max and Miria enjoying their sunset years. :)

Slightly off topic: I don't get this fixation on grim and gritty Destroid drama. This always seems the most boring aspect of the Macross universe to me. Basara flying in a bright red Valkyrie with a mount singing his heard out to defeat space devils on the other hand..... :wub::wub::wub:

PS: Don't forget Physica!

whatever they'll throw at us, I'll just stick with the motto : "in Kawamori we trust" and enjoy the ride. unless if Kawamori is not involved, which is highly unlikely.

so, any new hints from Japan sites/blogs?

None that I've seen, but it's still early days...

First, Basara is a civilian pilot but not an amateur. He was trained by Ray who was an elite Pink Pecker.

I've been waiting for a sentence like this to be written since 1994. If Kawamori only knew where it would lead one day... :)