NEW MACROSS TV SERIES ANNOUNCED!

Tochiro

I personally love the end of the original story. Hikaru, Misa and Minmay have a legend status in the macross universe because of that. They even tried to do the same with Shin and Alto (thank god MF movies aren't canon) but with much less to no impact of course.

My bet for the next series is that we haven't seen everything about those creepy cyborgs yet.

Any Macross is better than no Macross.

I hope it get's the promotion it deserves in both Japan and the west, over here, my friends who are "into anime" have never seen Macross, Robotech doesn't even ring a bell (to be honest, can give them that one since it never aired in Britain).

Do we have any news on the airdate or not?

Are you saying it never aired in the U.K ? May be not in 1984, but in 1989 it was on the Sky network, that's where my college buddies first saw it. They were all over it, one said have you seen it yet. I told him I saw it back in 1984. He was so disappointed that I'd beaten him to it. Edited by big F

OK, I take back what I said about Macross F. Its awesome.

I had my initial opinions about MacF based on the 2 x movies (because Im too lazy to watch the whole season of 26 episodes)

After watching the series halfway, gotta say my issue with the "songstress background music whenever there's action" only occurs 99% in the movies..much less in the anime, which is pretty good. Now that Im less busy, started to watch it last Sunday and now I'm on episode 14.

Im all OK if they go the MacF route for the new series, but for sure would like it better if its...er...better?

Macross 30 would be perfect as the next macross TV series. It has all the elements that make Macross great.

Kawamori has already said that Macross 30 is the official sequel to Frontier and is part of the official Macross canon, so making a new TV series about it would be redundant... <_<

A reboot of the first series on the other hand... B))

Kawamori has already said that Macross 30 is the official sequel to Frontier and is part of the official Macross canon, so making a new TV series about it would be redundant... <_<

A reboot of the first series on the other hand... B))

Did he say that? Huh, never heard that before.

I think I would rather a reboot of macross. No more futuristic stories. It gone too far into the future. Honestly the valks are becoming too powerful like super saiyens.

Call it mac X (mac cross :p) and release it internationally to piss off harmony gold.

X shaped island is where many mysterious paranormal activity happens, and the government finds a alien ship during world war 3.

Unlike the original it did not crash but was there hidden under the sea and it surfaced at a point in time when people were close to becoming extinct. Perhaps lesson to others of what can happen if you become too technologically advanced and too powerful. The giants also appear in fighting a space war as the humans are having thier world war and this becomes their first encounter with humans.

The old Macross universe is finished. Mac X is the new macross. Screw the kiddies. They have to grow up eventually. At least gundam has gundam unicorn. It's time to reboot imo. The original had the best characters by far. They could retell how the love triangle ends. Misa finds a boyfriend who is alien clone, joins the aliens and minmay screws her cousin and gets pregnant and hikaru is left with nothing. This causes him to want to kill aliens more (they stole his woman and killed his sempai) and he dies in the war because he is obsessed with fighting even more than the zentradi and this wins the first space war. Hikaru is more like the guy in Mospeada who walks off without any friends but obsessed with his job/duty. The world is all about fighting. Nobody knows why. That is the curse of being human. Love can cause as much pain as battle wounds. Make hikaru a bitter drunk like his older bro Roy. Maybe he starts getting depressed and the songs are slower and more sad. Instead of valks being shiny knights in armor fighting for peace they are jacked by the aliens, used against mankind and turned upon us (just like nukes) and the valk is more gritty and dirty. If you kill the pilot, the valk is free of the demons possessing it.

If macross 7 is the left wing show with space hippies trying to save the whales from extinction this would be the right wing version where the hippy gets killed and is too drugged up to see what's happening around him to make any sense. Hikaru is angry and bitter person who listens to metal music while shooting down giants. Not a weak pathetic kid who is laughed at.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

I tried looking through the vast amount of past threads on this section on the forum for context to get see how people reacted to the announcement for the TV series that ended up being Frontier. I couldn't find one, but can I assume it was like now?

I tried looking through the vast amount of past threads on this section on the forum for context to get see how people reacted to the announcement for the TV series that ended up being Frontier. I couldn't find one, but can I assume it was like now?

I remember arguin about the "r" and "o" in the Frontier logo looks more like "Flantier" than "Frontier" :)

Pretty much. And everyone here LOVED the first episode of Frontier, for being "dark," "gritty," and "military" (in fact, some thought it went too far, in crushing Gilliam).

Oh, how that changed...

Pretty much. And everyone here LOVED the first episode of Frontier, for being "dark," "gritty," and "military" (in fact, some thought it went too far, in crushing Gilliam).

Oh, how that changed...

So, one day it was "popping a dude like an over-ripe fruit is going too far, man!"

And then it was, "Aliens stealin' your panties - now that is too far!"

Sounds like very interesting times :)

So, one day it was "popping a dude like an over-ripe fruit is going too far, man!"

And then it was, "Aliens stealin' your panties - now that is too far!"

Sounds like very interesting times :)

I like you. I hope you're not Tochiro in disguise (with glasses).

I'd like to see either something from the Mac Zero to SDF Macross era, how the UN war changes after the use and knowledge of recovered alien tech, how the world eventually unites just in time for Bretai's fleet to arrive.

Or a reboot that focuses on new characters in the original SDF Macross series. Maybe as others have previously said focused on the ground troops and Destroids and other bullet magnets.

I guess all this is unlikely and we will see something in line with Frontier. Or may be the Space Whales will get their own spin off series.

What were your search terms? I suggest you try "Megaroad", "Destroids" and "GRITTY". I'm sure you'll find it then. :p

the destroids should get a spin off series just like what gundam 8th ms team was to the tv gundam toon.

Don't tell me you did not have respect for the gouf custom after you saw that bit where the old zeon veteran took on those young kids single-handedly using cover and taking hostage to buy time for the rocket to launch safely? Destroid pilots are probably just like that in macross only with superior lock-on weapons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h4vObEQUAA

best mecha fight with ordinary people ever. I think destroids would be able to defend minmay better than hikaru any day.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Any Macross is better than no Macross.

Do NOT agree. If Kawamori had let me read the script to M7 before it came out, it would have never been made. I would have talked him out of it.

AgentOne, do you have some kind of OCD that makes you just HAVE TO ABSOLUTELY turn every single thread you type in into a "I HATE M7" thread? It's been TWENTY YEARS. Two decades harbouring hatred for a cartoon about ending hatred. I know old habits die hard, but can you please maybe make an effort to start actually contributing something to the conversation for once?

If you don't like a cartoon, the civilized thing to do is just say "it's not for me", and let people who enjoy it, simply enjoy it. I'm not a Frontier fan, but I wouldn't want to wish it out of existence, because then what of the people who do like it? I do not have the right to take somebody's enjoyment away from them, lest they be committing a crime or something. And no, please don't come back with "But M7 IS a crime!!"

People have to recognize what M7 was a disappointment but further interdimensional monsters while there is a story and not as "smoked" will be good.

the M7 dynamite really liked, compared to the series.

I think the fan of macross the magic formula is good music + good story and good Mecha.

Good story and I mean that in the macross universe there are several things that can be addressed.

Edited by MILKAUTICO

Well if you don't like the next Macross series (because it's too much like Macross 7 or whatever) then just don't pirate it. This board does not reflect the intended audience and the majority of its members aren't even in the market where a Macross show can be broadcast.

And even with all this hemming a hawing over Macross 7, it is still undeniably influential on what Kawamori has done in the 20 years since it came out. And right now with 90's kids becoming adults it is the closet and most recognizable nostalgic property for Japanese fans.

the destroids should get a spin off series just like what gundam 8th ms team was to the tv gundam toon.

Don't tell me you did not have respect for the gouf custom after you saw that bit where the old zeon veteran took on those young kids single-handedly using cover and taking hostage to buy time for the rocket to launch safely? Destroid pilots are probably just like that in macross only with superior lock-on weapons.

Eh... if their presentation was something more akin to what we see in Macross the First, I could maybe get behind that if it were a short OVA. The problem I see with it is that, unlike Mobile Suits in Mobile Suit Gundam, Macross's destroids are big stompy man-tanks that are all built for very specialized roles. We don't really have a jack-of-all-trades destroid with the operational versatility you'd find in a Mobile Suit, which would kind of limit what could be done with them as the core of a series. The more runny-jumpy low gravity action depicted in Macross the First's fight between Max and Kamjin might make for some interesting combat scenes though.

AgentOne, do you have some kind of OCD that makes you just HAVE TO ABSOLUTELY turn every single thread you type in into a "I HATE M7" thread? It's been TWENTY YEARS. Two decades harbouring hatred for a cartoon about ending hatred. I know old habits die hard, but can you please maybe make an effort to start actually contributing something to the conversation for once?

Eh... would it cheer you up any if I told you that, after years as a member of the "I HATE M7" demographic, I've actually warmed to the series a little? It'll never be my favorite, and somet things could've been done better, but it's not that bad.

Not sure why Macross 7 would be relevant though... I don't think the tone of the industry right now is right for Kawamori to revisit the themes and tone of Macross 7. I expect what we'll get will be something more akin to Macross Frontier in terms of its overall presentation. Something lighthearted, but not exuberantly so the way 7 was. I greatly enjoyed Macross Frontier, so more of the same style of storytelling won't hurt my feelings one bit.

As I see it, a new Macross series is win-win for everyone. Either Kawamori and company will knock it out of the park with another pleasing romp through the fields of awesome-est aerial combat, love comedy, and music, or, failing that, we'll get a show that will still be better than 90% of what's coming out anyway. Wherever Kawamori wants to take the story, it's bound to be an interesting ride, if nothing else.

(Just so long as it doesn't turn out to be a shallow cash-grab 22 minute toy commercial like Gundam Build Fighters.)