NEW MACROSS TV SERIES ANNOUNCED!

Tochiro

It's WAAAAAAAY too early for that...

True.

I was wondering if it would be this year, the next or later. Part of me is desperate for more Macross, the other wants it to air later since I don't want them to rush the job.

What I really hope they don't do is resort to 3D mecha, the fighters stand out too much on Macross Frontier.

It seems to be a staple of Satelight, they did the same with Aquarion. A studio like Bones,knows we want 2D mecha.

Ashi (production REED?) made Macross 7, what studio made Plus?

Edited by Primus1X

What you are saying about Basara being a "force of nature" reminds me of something I heard related on ANNCast or the AWO podcast, regarding Spike Spiegel (sorry, I'm not going to be able to attribute this properly). Basically, the idea was that in "good" Western storytelling, the hero has to change from the beginning of the story to the end. But Shinichiro Watanbabe said there could be another kind of hero, the one who specifically does not change, and causes the story to revolve around him by his immobility.

I think Basara is another example of this hero type. He has one goal - bringing the power of song to people - and he follows that unerringly from start to finish. His immutability is what defines him and makes him heroic. I don't personally feel this renders him more plot device than person, but I can see where that's coming from.

Anyways, I'm not trying to derail the thread or start an argument; I'm a new poster and I don't want to step on toes. That just rung a bell and I felt compelled to share.

James Bond is the type of character you are describing. He acts and reacts according to his abilities, but remains constant as a character. The difference is that Bond often finds himself in real peril and his mortality is often tested, whereas Basara had very little of that. The only time we see any sort of drama from the Character was when he tried to wake Sivil and all the power of his arrogant song was impotent. I liked that, but it really was not very well explored. Even when he was apparently wounded, as a viewer, I got no sense he would die. The cast thought he would but by that point it was well established that he was some sort of superman and could not die...

Edited by Zinjo

Primus1X:

CGI basically IS a staple of Satelight -- that is what they primarily do. They are a 3DCG animation company. Most of the 2D character anmation stuff for Macross Frontier was done at 8-Bit, and other studios like that.

I think CG is kind of a given at this point.

Edited by Renato

As for Basara, I think that a lot of people completely forget that entire story arc where Basara leaves to wander the Planet Lux AFTER he saw that his song was not powerful enough to wake Sivil. He takes off because of something that Ray said to him, which was that some people just don't want to listen to his song, and that maybe he should think about why he sings and why he should continue to sing. So there is a whole string of episodes where he is wandering the forest, the desert, and even encountering enemies and other aliens and refuses to sing.... which people seem to forget, for some reason, I just don't get it.

It is not until Sivil takes him and Gigil across the galaxy that Basara finds his purpose once more, which is to sing to the vastness of the galaxy itself, which of course culminates in the whole ending climax with him trying to "move the mountain".

So I don't know what show everyone else watched, but in my mind Basara has quite a clear progression from arrogance ("Listen to my song!"), to self-doubt ("why do I sing?") to re-affirmation ("I'll make the mountain move today!! Mountain, Galaxy, LISTEN TO MY SONG!!").

I don't know what the next Macross series will bring, but the more I post on this thread, the more I think everyone should just watch Macross 7 again. :p

I don't know what the next Macross series will bring, but the more I post on this thread, the more I think everyone should just watch Macross 7 again. :p

It's a deal!

(But I reserve the right to skip over "Planet Dance" if it plays more than three times in a single episode.)

Macross 7 best eps were when Max kicked butt in his vf-22. All they need to do is clone max, mass produce super aces as special ops soldiers and the galaxy would be at peace. Bring back Kamjin clone again with a army of clone max pilots and have there be a clone war like prequel trilogy star wars. Human vs aliens using humans as brainwashed assassins. Humans get all the blame (rogue zentradi hack communication networks with the help of AI with self awareness which influences the youth into joining them) and this starts space war 2.

Mixed race pilots have to choose sides just like gundam shows. And they have to decide who to be loyal to: friends, family/bloodlines, race, or belief system. AI drones and cyborgs are caught in the middle and decided to kill em all for bringing wars back, and they blaming all living beings with the solution being to use brainwashing to pacify everyone under thier control. Think of it like Agent Smith in the Matrix movies. He is disgusted by Human and Aliens warlike behavior and thinks they should just be dumbed down to calm them all to save the environment. (these could represent the extreme green party lol)

Three way war. 52 eps but with the quality animation of mac frontier.

This could mean end of civilisation and an extinction-level event within the universe. After that, they go all 'Final Fantasy' on macross universe where shows take on a more post apoc feel to it. Shortages of food cause fighting, Anti UN become the new group people trust and we see common usage of older valk tech again due to lack of resources. The reboot of macross then takes place after the new calendar is made post space war 2. Where you have old tech modified and an excuse to update them much like VF0 could be considered like the updated VF-1 in terms of its look. Because of AI able to hack ships and hijack them easily, the humans do not trust machines and only like manually controlled mecha again so skill becomes more important. You might see variants of destroid that have giants synthetic muscle inside them to move it. Like an organic robot encased in armour plating for example. Ie Boomers from bubblegum crisis. And they are like animals that can be trained but occassionally go crazy.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

The thing is everyone has different definition of what 'good' is. You

can't please everyone.

"I want this show to be good". Like macross 7 was good? Or macross Plus was good? What made them good? The dogfights, the characters? The mecha design? You got to be specific. Saying "it has to be good" can mean anything.

What is good is subjective and should go without saying. And wanting more of the same is precisely the problem with more Macross (as it is with ANY long lived franchise). As for what is and what isn't Macross, like I said I'm willing to go far from what has been established to make a different kind of Macross story work. Macross Plus had no war drama at all, which is a pillar of how many define what is or isn't "Macross". Plus was about as far from the tone of SDF Macross as one could get, and IMO it was "good".

Some fans are willing to take anything Macross even if it decends into mediocrity and some fnas have a very narrow definition of what Macross is; that's their choice, but I am not and I do not. I expect more from Macross because it was proved before that the franchise was capable of more and because Macross means so much to me as a fan. I can enjoy something like Macross Frontier on a surface level as pure entertainment (which I do), but I'm always wanting Macross to offer more depth like my favorite Macross series once did. If that's too much to hope from any future Macross series, then so be it. But that's all I'm advocating and that's what I want to see.

Primus1X:

CGI basically IS a staple of Satelight -- that is what they primarily do. They are a 3DCG animation company. Most of the 2D character anmation stuff for Macross Frontier was done at 8-Bit, and other studios like that.

I think CG is kind of a given at this point.

As far as I know, 8-bit did some 2D animation for the two Macross Frontier movies.

Now I remember, Triangle Staff and (with Studio Nue of course) animated Macross Plus.

At the moment, are we expecting the new series next year or this year?

The YF-21 is inspired from the YF-23, not the YF-22. Sure, a little of both---but it's much more -23ish than -22ish.

Wait I though Mylene was the main hero of Macross 7.

She is, Basara's just a much louder and thus more noticeable character. :D

As for Basara, I think that a lot of people completely forget that entire story arc where Basara leaves to wander the Planet Lux AFTER he saw that his song was not powerful enough to wake Sivil. He takes off because of something that Ray said to him, which was that some people just don't want to listen to his song, and that maybe he should think about why he sings and why he should continue to sing. So there is a whole string of episodes where he is wandering the forest, the desert, and even encountering enemies and other aliens and refuses to sing.... which people seem to forget, for some reason, I just don't get it.

It is not until Sivil takes him and Gigil across the galaxy that Basara finds his purpose once more, which is to sing to the vastness of the galaxy itself, which of course culminates in the whole ending climax with him trying to "move the mountain".

So I don't know what show everyone else watched, but in my mind Basara has quite a clear progression from arrogance ("Listen to my song!"), to self-doubt ("why do I sing?") to re-affirmation ("I'll make the mountain move today!! Mountain, Galaxy, LISTEN TO MY SONG!!").

You are very correct. I think a lot of people, somewhere in the middle of the series, seem to stop paying attention to it, or maybe their patience grows thin for the long series. Personally, I've watched through this 4 times, and just started a week ago to watch it again. From my own observations of the series, every one of the main characters goes through a sort of transformation in this same sense. Mylene goes through it as well. The entire band goes through it as a whole, as even Gamlin does. There's a lot of character development and changes to them as the series progresses. Despite it being catered to a younger audience, between the character depth and a deeper plot beneath the exterior, I rather enjoy the series. Would I expect this new series to be just like 7, absolutely not. However, I do expect them to continue with quality in the character they develop. That seems to be a great staple in the Macross franchise that I find, keeps me interested in each series, give or take. Next up would be great valk designs. That wasn't always the case, but maybe maturity has reversed the level of importance for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqYdp6rOBaI

well this show came out and was really popular with the female demographic so expect to see more manservice

I wouldn't use this to be considered a change in trend. Frontier had plenty of this "manservice", as you call it. Actually, many series have it, and it's been around for quite sometime. As Macross is geared for both boys and girls, I doubt they'd tip the balance to start drawing in one, and alienating another

More and more I am convinced that it will be a reboot. Don't know if is going to be Macross: The First, but everything points towards that....

Yamato: 2199 was a success... Gundam: The Origin is coming up. The only thing left is Macross...

While the original TV series had awesome sequences and designs... lets face it. The anime friend and starpro episodes haven't aged well. In fact, every person I know who didn't like the first Macross told me it was because of those episodes...

Besides.... I it find pretty suspicious that they used a classic DYRL SDF-1 Macross shadow in the official announcement... B))

post-7862-0-50696500-1397340367_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

The recent Speaker Podcast discussed at length why it probably won't be a reboot. They cited that it took years for Yamato 2199 to get off the ground and these days Frontier is the center of Macross, not the original. And Gundam the Origin's anime is coming after the manga has been finished for a few years, whereas Macross the First has yet to conclude.

More and more I am convinced that it will be a reboot. Don't know if is going to be Macross: The First, but everything points towards that....

Yamato: 2199 was a success... Gundam: The Origin is coming up. The only thing left is Macross...

While the original TV series had awesome sequences and designs... lets face it. The anime friend and starpro episodes haven't aged well. In fact, every person I know who didn't like the first Macross told me it was because of those episodes...

Besides.... I it find pretty suspicious that they used a classic DYRL SDF-1 Macross shadow in the official announcement... B))

I'll take that wager. How much are we talkin'?

Besides.... I it find pretty suspicious that they used a classic DYRL SDF-1 Macross shadow in the official announcement...

Why is it suspicious? That design has been used in every appearance of a Macross space ship since then (MII, M+, MF, the logo for the Macross 30th Anniversary, etc.).

IMHO, it'd be more suspicious if it was the SDFM design.

Kawamori and co. are experts at trolling. Remember the first time a Macross-class ship appeared in frontier? The locket pic of Minmei? The fire valk colored VF-1 in the trailer for Wings of Farwell? There's a long history of trolling the fans. Not to mention, as already noted, that the First isn't finished and it's future is constantly in doubt. Two years ago Mikimoto told me that he didn't know if the manga would even make it up to 'Love Drifts Away.' And they are still nowhere near even that point in the story even now.

A remake would potentially alienate the largest part of the fanbase- younger, predominantly female, consumers. Add to that the fact that the iconic image of the Macross has been used in multiple announcements and promotions for decades. While nothing is impossible, the image in the announcement of an announcement signals nothing more than the fact that the Macross is the most iconic image they could use, IMO.

And yes, we discuss all this at length in the latest SpeakerPODcast.

Edited by Tochiro

Wow, a new tv series already, i thought it would be like 2017 or later. Nice to see this franchise manage to survive this long.

I just hope the animation quality would be good, a catchy song or two to remember, and a little bit of planetary dogfight would be great. Gravity and atmospheric pressure limitation is still a fun thing to watch.

For another decade, deculture!

Macross 30 would be perfect as the next macross TV series. It has all the elements that make Macross great.

It takes place 1 year after Frontier war.

Leon Sakaki (Macross 30): The main character of Macross 30. A passionate test pilot with exceptional skill and a strong sense of justice. The story opens when he arrives at planet Ouroboros.(Emergency landing after being shot down by his former friend Rod. He does not know it was him)

Aisha Blanchett (Macross 30): The first heroine of Macross 30, she is a Zentraedi prodigy who was given command of the SMS Ouroboros branch at a young age. She is very positive and has a bright personality, and is primarily focused on studying the ruins that litter Ouroboros' landscape. (She also develops the YF-30 Chronus for Leon so he can defeat Isamu in a race!)

Mina Forte (Macross 30): The second heroine of Macross 30, she is a mysterious, amnesiac girl who was discovered sleeping in ancient ruins. The story will unravel as she recovers her memory. (Her song activates the technology found in the ruins)

Mae Riron (Macross 30): The head of the Ouroboros Hunter Guild, she lives in Vrlitwhal City and is older than she looks. Aisha's best friend, she quickly befriends Leon and frequently aids the Ouroboros SMS with their investigation, sometimes helping personally in her custom YF-27

Ganesu Modora (Macross 30): A bandit leader who dreams of becoming the “Bandit King,” Ganesu has a crush on Aisha and believes she will reciprocate his feelings if he defeats her in battle.

Rod Baltmar (Macross 30): Leon's rival Rod is a N.U.N.S. Pilot assigned to the special task force “Hamaval.” He has known Leon since they where children, but the two became estranged from one another after a certain incident.(a girl dies, who was also a pilot. Rod blames Leon of her death. Not sure if the girl was sister to Rod or a love interest. But her death triggers the hate)

Ushio Todo (Macross 30): Commanding officer of the N.U.N.S. Special task force Hamaval, he seems to be conducting an independent investigation in the ruins of Ouroboros. (Hamval has its own agenda and later fights with SMS over the technology in the ruins)

Great excuse to re-introduce new and old mechs from different series. (Great business for Bandai/Arcadia)

Guild vs Mercs/Bandits vs SMS vs Hamval = Good variety of mechs used by each faction.

Perfect setting for cameos of characters from different series.

Edited by JerryM

they should take into consideration one of the Earth-like planets that NASA has discovered in recent years and develop a new history, about a macross fleet, around it or explore one of the mysteries that remain unresolved as black holes; giving more clues, but only clues, about what could happen to the Megaroad-01.
Preparing the way for the 50th anniversary where we will finally know it.

If we are finding out what happened to the Megaroad for the 50th anniversary, it better be the greatest story ever told in the history of everything, or else I can imagine the disappointment of the now-old-age-pensioner fans in their 60s and 70s -- I waited half a century for THIS??

I don't see what the point is of continuing a story the audience for which is dying.

(Edited for poor grammar)

Edited by Renato

If Kawamori would even consider opening up that can of worms, what would make people think he'd tie it up in a tidy knot? SDFM is the cleanest ending out of all the Macross shows, do people really want to become even more frustrated by an new open ended story?

I, personally, don't want to know what happened before or after to the characters. Stories are usually made from the part of a character's life that's worth writing about.

Seems like the biggest mistake they made is that throwing them all into a black hole and hoped that'll end any calls for a sequel or resolution for the characters as time goes on.

They could have all died in there and people just don't like that idea, especially since people have became so invested in their story during the original series. I think if they could have crafted something that they all just lived out their lives in uneventful peace afterwards until the next generations took over, people may be more receptive to it.

But no, black hole and a giant question mark.

Haven't we been over this Megaroad thing already a hundred times? Hikaru, Misa and Minmay have been written out. It's a well known writers technique and that's the point. Not knowing the fate of Hikaru, Misa and Minmay is a blessing, not a troll or tease. This is not an "open end"; the "lost contact" is a closed book. It means means we - the audience/fans - have only the story of Hikaru, Misa and Minmay as told in SDF Macross/DYRL/Flashback 2012. We know only the golden age. We know the characters only as beloved heroes of Space War I. We know them only as forever young and are spared the banality of the post-war years. Like EXO has said, we know the defining story of these characters. No wonder Kawamori mocks us old school fans through characters like Birla in Frontier; he does us a favor but all we do is harrass him about it for 25+ years :)

Seems like the biggest mistake they made is that throwing them all into a black hole (...)

Dark Hole.*

Not a black hole. The implications are that it was a portal to another reality/universe/existence/place that no one can follow them to. In short, their "sunset" that they ride off into.

* http://nomansland.site.nfoservers.com/MRG-Active-Archive//forums/index.php?topic=2872.0

Dark Hole.*

Not a black hole. The implications are that it was a portal to another reality/universe/existence/place that no one can follow them to. In short, their "sunset" that they ride off into.

* http://nomansland.site.nfoservers.com/MRG-Active-Archive//forums/index.php?topic=2872.0

I'm confused, it sounds like everyone's discussing Robotech's The End of the Circle here...

If we are finding out what happened to the Megaroad for the 50th anniversary, it better be the greatest story ever told in the history of everything, or else I can imagine the disappointment of the now-old-age-pensioner fans in their 60s and 70s -- I waited half a century for THIS??

I don't see what the point is of continuing a story the audience for which is dying.

(Edited for poor grammar)

nah!, being ironic. After all, this is only a cartoon.

However, we like it or not, this issue about the fate of the first protagonists arouses passions in many forums Macross no matter how much time passes.