NEW MACROSS TV SERIES ANNOUNCED!

Tochiro

Maybe they could do a Cop/procedural drama but have the Cops use surplus vf-1 Valkyrie's to police giant sized Zentradi.

When I read this I imagined a small clip shown within some Macross future series.....a TV spot advertising an upcoming episode of COPS "Zentran" edition, highlighting the SMS's daily battles within some emigrant ship's Zentran/Meltran ghetto.... :lol:

destroid_tomahawks_ep29.png

ep29_hikaru_wants_to_hear_complaints3.pn

ep34_zentradi_gets_spanked2.png?w=500&h=

ep2_roy_kills_zentradi.png

Edited by jvmacross

so basically patlabor?

Yeah! See, the police need a special unit equipped with valkyries to fight criminals who use valkyries to commit valkyrie crimes. Just like the real police have a bulldozer unit to fight killdozers!

I'm laughing, but I'd watch Patvalk in a heartbeat.

You know what will be really funny? To find out just how far off base we all are in our expectations (more or less). I have things I'd like to see in this, but what I really want more than anything, is simply quality. They put great characters into a great story and have bonuses of mecha action in it, I'm good as fresh gravy.

Yeah, that's what I want to. Nothing more, nothing less.

As with so many story ideas that have come up in this thread, I gotta say, once again, "Mac7 did it!" to the police robots idea.

In fact, here's Goto and Shinobu from Patlabor making a cameo in Mac7.

Sorry guys, but M7 already did everything. ;)

EDIT -- BTW, the police mecha are actually called "Patroids" in M7. And yes, they transform. :)

post-1318-0-35547200-1396741137_thumb.jpg

Edited by Renato

So in 3 to 4 centuries.....Macross will evolve into Transformers? :rolleyes:

Nice art and like your new logo better than the current NUNS logo!

Kinda hehe. I envisioned sentient VFs that actually shapeshift more than transform. And they can link neurologically with a human "handler" or operator (who can also get inside them). They would be more like EVAs or something from Dragon's Heaven or Diebuster. Of course the series should also feature standard advanced VFs and aces to please the more traditional Macross fan hehe... B))

BTW, the logo is intended as a mix between the old kite logo and the NUNS one. The white shape now symbolizes the forward-swept wings from the hero VFs from Macross Plus and the Frontier film...

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

As with so many story ideas that have come up in this thread, I gotta say, once again, "Mac7 did it!" to the police robots idea.

EDIT -- BTW, the police mecha are actually called "Patroids" in M7. And yes, they transform. :)

That was AMAZING.

Don't forget that it comes in 2 variants!

The air version: http://sketchleytranslation.host-ed.me/Stats/Statistics/VariablePolice/VariablePoliceAir.php

and the space version: http://sketchleytranslation.host-ed.me/Stats/Statistics/VariablePolice/VariablePoliceSpace.php

AND there's a heavy armoured transforming ground police vehicle:

http://sketchleytranslation.host-ed.me/Stats/Statistics/VariablePolice/VariablePoliceGround.php

Not quite a Destroid, not quite as cool as the Cheyenne 2 in MF. Nonetheless, M7 did it.

Careful...I never said Macross II wasn't Macross just because I have an opinion on the Gundam-like appearance of the Metal Siren. The destroids look nothing like Valkyries and they are as much Macross as Minmay :)

But yes, quality is my only benchmark. I think the one thing folks have to understand - and SHOULD be an absolute requirement for all long time fans - is to have self-awareness about what Macross means now living in the world after it's release. Once any creative art/entertainment is released, the fans should come to terms with it. We live in a post-Macross world and we as fans can't ever look at life the same way as it was before Macross came to be, at the risk of sounding a little melodramatic. Point being, fans should neither hold any subsequent Macross (or otherwise) to the nostalgica benchmark the original set nor should fans exploit their love of Macross as a poor excuse to defend poor sequels. That's all I want to advocate and I hope the next Macross series stands well on the strength of it's own merits.

If it is about selling music cds and toys I don't think the next show is going to be able to avoid being in the same formula as what has come before. Not that I am saying I want that to be the case, just skeptical it will totally redefine what "being a macross show" is.

People are fans of something because of what came before being what they like. This is why bands that change their sound and go into different directions end up annoying their diehard followers if the only reason was to appeal to others that hate the original stuff and only exist for commercial reasons (AKA "selling out" and giving up their soul for more money) not as part of an artist's genuine desire to bring something new and/or original that hasn't been done before. heh

The thing is everyone has different definition of what 'good' is. You

can't please everyone.

I remember when gundam wing came out and people hated the boy band thing with each mech being a not mass-produced robot (more like super saiyen godlike robot) and killing whole armies of other robots like it was nothing. And the kids not having to gradually get better with experience through the course of one year and show proper character growth and change as they got more mature and responsible. People hated it (basically goes counter to the originals where there was danger if you made a mistake and made each battle scene more suspensful) but then it opened a new type of "real robot" show where people can die, just that they have super duper resistence to damage. :p eg Robot blows up and pilot goes to bed for a few days like he has a headache. lol Also pilot can fall off cliffs without breaking bones or snapping their own neck, with absolutely no explanation whatsoever.

Now for fans of that stuff they think that is awesome and cool. When haters of that stuff say "it's not 'good' because it is not a real robot show" they are being very specific about what they want and defining "crap" as meaning anything that isn't in the same mold as the older shows that came before it. (proper danger in battlescenes where you actually give a crap enough to watch it and pay attention). Words like "Good" lose their meaning. It's like the word "nice". What does it actually mean?

"I want this show to be good". Like macross 7 was good? Or macross Plus was good? What made them good? The dogfights, the characters? The mecha design? You got to be specific. Saying "it has to be good" can mean anything.

For me if macross did not have a theme of giant robots in space being use as a type of giant space knight with gun flying around shooting the bad guy and rescuing the girl from danger, then to me it isn't what came before and therefore not macross. Without that and the cool looking transforming space fighters and action it loses its appeal to me. The music is also another factor. It has to be in there because the point of sharing your culture to other people is the idea of aliens having lost their identity of who they really are as people not what they do as a duty or job. You can define zentradi as the soldiers who fight things. But what about who they are as an individual? What music and food are they into? What religion do they have? How is society structured and what hobbies do they have? What about names? Where did the names all come from? They had none so humans had to remind them that life is not your job. Fighting is a small portion of life. The theme is in all the shows.

Even Plus has this when the AI tries to learn human behaviour by studying us and then trying to copy everything in order to try to obtain it's own sense of identity. (read some of the disturbing things in Ray Kurzweil books about where we are headed in future) It's not much different from the original show where you had giant aliens in place of the AI trying to get back their old identity instead of just following commands.

Without the above things it's isn't macross. Also there is a lot of religious symbols in the shows. The zentradi refer to themselves as Satan's puppets. The AI being called Sharon APPLE (the garden of eden story in the bible of eating the forbidden fruit and being kicked out of paradise) the planet EDEN, the reference to the bad guy mech in macross frontier as being code named Lucifer (the name of the fallen angel that rebelled against God) while the good guy plane is called the Messiah. etc Also things like brainwashing (in macross plus the fans of sharon apple are holding an IDOL and worshipping an idol in the shape of a cross just like religious ceremony and even chanting etc. In the old show zentradi are being manipulated by the brain in a jar but in plus it is the pop Idol that is manipulating them through using brainwave analysis of the test subjects to keep them occupied and in a trance like sleepy state and if they break out of it the AI sees it as a threat and goes all "self preservation" on your ass, which is not dissimilar to the big bald Zentradi Leader who is willing to kill his own just to maintain order. Replace AI machine brain with Zentradi Bald leader guy (from the SDFM tv series) or "wire head" from Macross DYRL.

There is also conspiracy stuff in macross plus. The reference to a "NEW SPACE ORDER" which is the same thing as the "NEW WORLD ORDER" in conspiracy circles or NEW ORDER of INTELLIGENCE in the Terminator movies where mankind gets all lazy and replaces everything that is manually operated with things that are fully automated by intellgient machines. (this means there are no morals or spiritual consideratio in decision-making at the top and machines can use their power to enslave us rather than serving us.) That's not different from the protoculture having brainwashed giants to do all warfighting and cloning them so that they have no freewill or memory of who they are to be able to break their routine of being slaves to another person. Are the teenagers in macross plus who listen to the fake electronic music and manipulated by electronic means as if the tech wizards had cast a sleepy spell upon them, much different from the brainwashed zentradi soldiers who are "just following orders" and have no concept of what life is outside of the job?

These are all reoccurring themes that have been carried in each show in the background. They are different shows. But without those common things they are not in the formula of what we expect from a macross show. I guess macross 7 made it a little more in your face (having space demons literally being attacked by music to contain their powers) but they are in all the shows in some form or another much like jedi knights using the Force to overcome problems vs relying on man-made tools like blasters. (the "space religion" of star wars. Replace the Force in star wars with culture/music in macross and you get the picture)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

what macross would be like if they hired koreans to redo the animation (using gundam as a example):

:)

Note the pallete swap of char aznable but he fights different people?

Fans of macross who claim they would be bored by seeing the exact same thing again would have nothing to complain about as the whole story would be scrambled up and it would be like going into an alternate dimension. You might not even see the vf-1. Peoples hair might look different and Roy Fokker might be a bad guy. Story would be very unpredictable. Ok I'm joking around. But if they gave us redone SDFM with better animations I think a new audience would see it as fresh because assuming they were too young when it came out to see it, the new one would reintroduce them to the series like how you see hollywood constantly doing origin stories for super heroes. And people liked that. Batman Begins was a success. Why can't a retelling of Space War I be interesting? "But they already did it with DYRL" Yeah but that was a loooong time ago. I want today's animation on old mechas.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

The more I think about it, the more fun I think a Macross cop show could be. Think of all the Macross-specific crimes they could be called to deal with, like:
1) Rock bands squatting in the unused parts of the ship

2) Zolans shoplifting with their pouches
3) Corrupting underage Meltrandi ("She looked legal when she was 60 feet tall, officer!")

4) Unauthorized indoor hang-gliding

5) Rampaging wild pokemon full of hamburg meat (think Frontier ep.10)

6) Theft of dino-bird eggs to make Macromelettes

7) Karaoke (ok, that's not Macross-specific, but it's still criminal)

Each "patroid" could carry a "buddy" team of pilot-cop and idol-cop; the latter ready to sing at a moment's notice to calm an unruly Zentraedi. It practically writes itself!

Is that for real Renato? What episode is that?!

Yeah, the cameo is in the "City Police 24 Hours" short, as Nekko Basara said, but the Patroids themselves feature in many episodes of the TV show.

Didn't anyone watch that show??

Well M7 seemed to pull every crazy a$$ed idea Kawamori ever had and plugged them into a two season series.

Though, what did the Patroids transform into? Cars..?? Oh wait, Sketchley answered that question... :o

...More than meets the eye..... :p

Edited by Zinjo

If it is about selling music cds and toys I don't think the next show is going to be able to avoid being in the same formula as what has come before. Not that I am saying I want that to be the case, just skeptical it will totally redefine what "being a macross show" is.

People are fans of something because of what came before being what they like. This is why bands that change their sound and go into different directions end up annoying their diehard followers if the only reason was to appeal to others that hate the original stuff and only exist for commercial reasons (AKA "selling out" and giving up their soul for more money) not as part of an artist's genuine desire to bring something new and/or original that hasn't been done before. heh

The thing is everyone has different definition of what 'good' is. You

can't please everyone.

I remember when gundam wing came out and people hated the boy band thing with each mech being a not mass-produced robot (more like super saiyen godlike robot) and killing whole armies of other robots like it was nothing. And the kids not having to gradually get better with experience through the course of one year and show proper character growth and change as they got more mature and responsible. People hated it (basically goes counter to the originals where there was danger if you made a mistake and made each battle scene more suspensful) but then it opened a new type of "real robot" show where people can die, just that they have super duper resistence to damage. :p eg Robot blows up and pilot goes to bed for a few days like he has a headache. lol Also pilot can fall off cliffs without breaking bones or snapping their own neck, with absolutely no explanation whatsoever.

Now for fans of that stuff they think that is awesome and cool. When haters of that stuff say "it's not 'good' because it is not a real robot show" they are being very specific about what they want and defining "crap" as meaning anything that isn't in the same mold as the older shows that came before it. (proper danger in battlescenes where you actually give a crap enough to watch it and pay attention). Words like "Good" lose their meaning. It's like the word "nice". What does it actually mean?

"I want this show to be good". Like macross 7 was good? Or macross Plus was good? What made them good? The dogfights, the characters? The mecha design? You got to be specific. Saying "it has to be good" can mean anything.

For me if macross did not have a theme of giant robots in space being use as a type of giant space knight with gun flying around shooting the bad guy and rescuing the girl from danger, then to me it isn't what came before and therefore not macross. Without that and the cool looking transforming space fighters and action it loses its appeal to me. The music is also another factor. It has to be in there because the point of sharing your culture to other people is the idea of aliens having lost their identity of who they really are as people not what they do as a duty or job. You can define zentradi as the soldiers who fight things. But what about who they are as an individual? What music and food are they into? What religion do they have? How is society structured and what hobbies do they have? What about names? Where did the names all come from? They had none so humans had to remind them that life is not your job. Fighting is a small portion of life. The theme is in all the shows.

Even Plus has this when the AI tries to learn human behaviour by studying us and then trying to copy everything in order to try to obtain it's own sense of identity. (read some of the disturbing things in Ray Kurzweil books about where we are headed in future) It's not much different from the original show where you had giant aliens in place of the AI trying to get back their old identity instead of just following commands.

Without the above things it's isn't macross. Also there is a lot of religious symbols in the shows. The zentradi refer to themselves as Satan's puppets. The AI being called Sharon APPLE (the garden of eden story in the bible of eating the forbidden fruit and being kicked out of paradise) the planet EDEN, the reference to the bad guy mech in macross frontier as being code named Lucifer (the name of the fallen angel that rebelled against God) while the good guy plane is called the Messiah. etc Also things like brainwashing (in macross plus the fans of sharon apple are holding an IDOL and worshipping an idol in the shape of a cross just like religious ceremony and even chanting etc. In the old show zentradi are being manipulated by the brain in a jar but in plus it is the pop Idol that is manipulating them through using brainwave analysis of the test subjects to keep them occupied and in a trance like sleepy state and if they break out of it the AI sees it as a threat and goes all "self preservation" on your ass, which is not dissimilar to the big bald Zentradi Leader who is willing to kill his own just to maintain order. Replace AI machine brain with Zentradi Bald leader guy (from the SDFM tv series) or "wire head" from Macross DYRL.

There is also conspiracy stuff in macross plus. The reference to a "NEW SPACE ORDER" which is the same thing as the "NEW WORLD ORDER" in conspiracy circles or NEW ORDER of INTELLIGENCE in the Terminator movies where mankind gets all lazy and replaces everything that is manually operated with things that are fully automated by intellgient machines. (this means there are no morals or spiritual consideratio in decision-making at the top and machines can use their power to enslave us rather than serving us.) That's not different from the protoculture having brainwashed giants to do all warfighting and cloning them so that they have no freewill or memory of who they are to be able to break their routine of being slaves to another person. Are the teenagers in macross plus who listen to the fake electronic music and manipulated by electronic means as if the tech wizards had cast a sleepy spell upon them, much different from the brainwashed zentradi soldiers who are "just following orders" and have no concept of what life is outside of the job?

These are all reoccurring themes that have been carried in each show in the background. They are different shows. But without those common things they are not in the formula of what we expect from a macross show. I guess macross 7 made it a little more in your face (having space demons literally being attacked by music to contain their powers) but they are in all the shows in some form or another much like jedi knights using the Force to overcome problems vs relying on man-made tools like blasters. (the "space religion" of star wars. Replace the Force in star wars with culture/music in macross and you get the picture)

Wow, I think you have been saving this up for a few months ;)

My biggest beefs with M7 are simply the recycled musical numbers instead of preparing a sufficient number of singles for the show (MF corrected that problem) and a main character that was more a plot device than a person. Basara was a force of nature to be reacted toward and should never have been made the focus of the show. Perhaps it was a grand experiment in story telling, but IMHO if that was the case, it failed.

MF corrected many issues within the series formula structure, but had room to be greater. It appears that the best hope for old school Macross fans will be in Manga and OVAs, where formula is not stressed as much as is the case in a big budget TV series.

Edited by Zinjo

Basara was a force of nature to be reacted toward and should never have been made the focus of the show. Perhaps it was a grand experiment in story telling, but IMHO if that was the case, it failed.

What you are saying about Basara being a "force of nature" reminds me of something I heard related on ANNCast or the AWO podcast, regarding Spike Spiegel (sorry, I'm not going to be able to attribute this properly). Basically, the idea was that in "good" Western storytelling, the hero has to change from the beginning of the story to the end. But Shinichiro Watanbabe said there could be another kind of hero, the one who specifically does not change, and causes the story to revolve around him by his immobility.

I think Basara is another example of this hero type. He has one goal - bringing the power of song to people - and he follows that unerringly from start to finish. His immutability is what defines him and makes him heroic. I don't personally feel this renders him more plot device than person, but I can see where that's coming from.

Anyways, I'm not trying to derail the thread or start an argument; I'm a new poster and I don't want to step on toes. That just rung a bell and I felt compelled to share.

Just a couple of weeks prior, I was so happy about the announcement of Gundam: The Origin and Reconguista in G, and then on the 23rd, I couldn't describe my feelings, when I heard Macross was getting another television series at last.

I hope it get's the promotion it deserves in both Japan and the west, over here, my friends who are "into anime" have never seen Macross, Robotech doesn't even ring a bell (to be honest, can give them that one since it never aired in Britain).

Do we have any news on the airdate or not?