NEW MACROSS TV SERIES ANNOUNCED!

Tochiro

Wow. I am beyond excited... Lets hope its more action and less "emo-pansy-kid" stuff.

Hear that big crashing sound?? That's Agent ONE falling out of the target demographic with a thud. LOL.

Let´s don´t forget Kawamori once stated: "There are more and better stories to be told" when asked for a sequel of the original Macross..I wish this time he made Megaroad 01 story, however this and a reboot of the original would be a contradiction for him, maybe it would represent the end of the cliffhanger towards the franchise since there are always references of the original series in every single new series they have launched, somehow planned to attract the old fashion fans who have always wanted to know about the original triangle characters destiny. Don´t say you haven't !!!

Seeing that SDF-1 silhouette made me instantly think of Macross The First. Then again, it could be something like the SDF-4 in Frontier.

Here’s hoping that Arcadia will be making the figures and toys this time!
New TV series = new music, new mecha, new collectibles = :D

I'd hope for a "gap-filling" story. Show us immediately after SDF:M---but NOT following the Megaroad etc! Could have first human colonization of other planets, discovering Eden, bringing Zentradis into society, etc. LOTS of stuff to show that we've never seen before.

All of which would be more interesting than "yet another pop-star saving humanity via singing", especially one set "a few years after Frontier".

They frankly skipped 2010-2040, but have really flushed out 2040-2060.

Seeing that SDF-1 silhouette made me instantly think of Macross The First. Then again, it could be something like the SDF-4 in Frontier.

Here’s hoping that Arcadia will be making the figures and toys this time!

New TV series = new music, new mecha, new collectibles = :D

I think these days any Macross announcement is accompanied by SDF-1"-ish" silhouette, even if the actual production does not involve SDF-1 or any Macross-class capital ship. It's a guaranteed way to grab the attention of Macross fans of all generations, :)

So if I remember correctly, Kawamori has stated that he was done with the originals and will not pursue that any further saying that the story was done. With that I don't think he would go back to the Megaroad and complete an arc there but you never know.

I also remember Yoko Kanno saying she is done doing Macross tunes for a while, but I would love to see her back. She is one of my favorite producers.

I can't see Arcadia being the main sponsor either at this time, but I really wish it would happen. I know Bandai has the cash to pull it off so they are most likely going to be the toy mfg for all of the valks that come out of this show. It kinda scares me though because they failed so hard with the v1 MacF toys, but redeemed themselves with the renewals.

With that all out of the way, I am so f*cking happy to finally get another show. :D

^ And if Bandai is backing this, they will push very hard for more toy potentials (they tried to do that with Cowboy Bebop, and it definitely shows with shows like Patlabor and Frontier).
I was also wondering the same thing, if we would see a repeat of the v1 problems again... The problems of an expensive hobby

Do you guys think theres a possibility that the new series will be an expansion on the events of Macross 30? or possibly expand on that universe?
I would imagine it would be a gigantic clusterfrakk, if they had all the generations come back, but perhaps they can expand the story on the main characters introduced in the game?

So if I remember correctly, Kawamori has stated that he was done with the originals and will not pursue that any further saying that the story was done. With that I don't think he would go back to the Megaroad and complete an arc there but you never know.

Didn't Kawamori also said that he's done with anything regarding Macross after DYRL? But then when he wanted to product a test pilot story, the studios made him produce it in the Macross universe, and that's how Macross Plus was conceived. Or at least, that's what I recall.

The point is, producers/directors always like to tell people this is their swansong, then later pretend they never said that. (Kojima for MGS, Miyazaki for The Wind Rises).

Great news! I was not expecting this.

I first though Macross The First, would be nice, they could get away with the slight changes to bypass HG blockage outside Japan and screw them.

I want a new story, but I have my reservations, it will be probably be sponsored by Bandai, and they will milk the crap out of uninspired designed mecha toys instead of a more coherent storyline.

Whatever it is I just want 5 main things.

1. Realistic main character, no angsty emo teenager who is naturally gifted at flying mechas. (Hikaru was very flawed in character and abilities, Isamu was a jerk, Mylene was stupid, they were real, not invisibly perfect.)

2. No Roy Focker mentor figure. (He's dead)

3. A coherent love triangle that keeps us confused until the final resolution. (The first time I saw Macross I honestly did not know who Hikaru would end up with and whoever he chose I would understand, unlike 7, Zero and Frontier, you knew who the main character wanted all along)

4. No useless Luca and side character used as time fillers that don't die.

5. Make every episode count for character and story development.

Edited by Valkyrie addict

If the circle is already closed, it will always seem to be based on "rumors" since Macross chronicle Magazine is in Japanese language and has no easy access for the rest of the world fans...A real official canon climax should always be depicted in a TV series or at least in a movie...

MC went as far as saying that there are "multiple" possibilities of what happened.

The official (or the most official) word comes from a mail-away exclusive gift for the PS1 release of SDFM:DYRL: http://nomansland.site.nfoservers.com/MRG-Active-Archive//forums/index.php?topic=2872.0

Or, as many others have stated over the years: 'they've ridden off into the sunset'.

Very cool news!

In the "no reboot" crowd myself, if for no other reason that all of the time and money invested in SDFM, DYRL, Plus and Frontier merchandise.

Beyond that I don't really care what direction this new series goes in as long as it's not similar in style and tone to Macross 7 (sorry, no disrespect intended to Mac 7 fans).

Now bring on some new VF's!

-b.

Didn't Kawamori also said that he's done with anything regarding Macross after DYRL? But then when he wanted to product a test pilot story, the studios made him produce it in the Macross universe, and that's how Macross Plus was conceived. Or at least, that's what I recall.

The point is, producers/directors always like to tell people this is their swansong, then later pretend they never said that. (Kojima for MGS, Miyazaki for The Wind Rises).

Ding ding ding! I think people are too busy fellating Kawamori to realize that he's a normal person who can change his mind. A series about the Megaroad (and Hikaru and Misa) would be awesome, the ultimate reward to people who have been supporting the franchise. I'd also love to see some official Supervision Army mecha. That would be way to cool to actually happen though.

I hope it's not a reboot or a retread. And I hope there's no high school, and no characters under 18 unless they die horribly.

But most of all I hope we get some HARUHIKO MIKIMOTO character designs, god damn it. Some Ichiro Itano-directed mecha fights would be nice as well.

I think it's a safe bet the new Macross series is going to be something totally new with a new setting and new characters. Isn't it always? Don't see much reason to think it'll be anywhere near The Ride, 30 or Megaroad. But I suppose we've nothing else to go on since the announcement, so speculation is all there is.

Mikimoto doesn't want to deal with working in an anime anymore if past rumors were true. It's a pity but understandable. Until he needs the cash I guess.

The two main things I ask for in a new Macross series is :

1) No Idols. Sick of em. You can have a singer or singers and have it as an integral part of the show but no idols. That part industry is shady as hell anyway.

2) Good story. You have all the slap bang visuals and mecha fights but if you screw up the story the whole thing just turn into a mundane exercise in not trying to not get bored with the whole thing altogether.

And now we play the waiting game for more news.

Hear that big crashing sound?? That's Agent ONE falling out of the target demographic with a thud. LOL.

Soooo all Macross fans are feminine and emo?

Hmm... A Macross Class could that be a hint?

We've spent much of late at the core of the galaxy maybe we are going back to Earth. Or maybe a nearby colony with a Macross class.

The defunct Macross VFX 3D had a Macross class. Maybe revisiting the concept..