• 2 weeks later...

Just finished watching The Midnight Club on Netflix, and it was a very good series. Not exactly what you imagine, it is a mix of the main story and some odd happenings and an anthology series told from the narrative of the main characters. Really worth a look.

2 hours ago, Thom said:

Just finished watching The Midnight Club on Netflix, and it was a very good series. Not exactly what you imagine, it is a mix of the main story and some odd happenings and an anthology series told from the narrative of the main characters. Really worth a look.

I've been tempted to watch this one, might give it a go tonight. 

I originally posted this in the wrong thread so here you go. Just watched the first 2 episodes of The Peripheral. I really like it and am looking forward to next weeks episode. First 2 are out today on Amazon with new episodes every Friday.

Just finished watching Exception on Netflix. While billed as a horror anime, in IMHO it's more a sci-fi anime with a bit of a who-dunnit kind of story- not a murder but something else which I won't spoil here. Anyway, I thought it was pretty well- written and acted  (good ole Nolan North supplies the voice for a character) with an interesting story and an art direction that skews more towards Arcane than typical anime character designs. I binged it this evening and consider it time well-spent.

Though I have yet to see Yellowstone I thought 1883 was an unexpectedly great series on Paramount+ and I'll resubscribe for their next series 1923 with Harrison Ford! That being said, Paramount giving away Yellowstone to Peacock has to be one of the biggest blunders in modern media ever.

https://www.ign.com/articles/1923-yellowstone-prequel-has-a-release-date

On 10/28/2022 at 6:51 AM, TangledThorns said:

Though I have yet to see Yellowstone I thought 1883 was an unexpectedly great series on Paramount+ and I'll resubscribe for their next series 1923 with Harrison Ford! That being said, Paramount giving away Yellowstone to Peacock has to be one of the biggest blunders in modern media ever.

https://www.ign.com/articles/1923-yellowstone-prequel-has-a-release-date

It’s probably trying their best to stay afloat in the streaming wars. I still have yet to meet a single person that has Paramount+. I know people that have peacock since it was free for a while , I don’t know if it’s still free though 

On 9/8/2022 at 2:24 AM, 505thAirborne said:

I started watching this the other day and ended up turning it off.  Nowhere near as good as the original or even the Richard Thomas one.  Perhaps it gets better later in the movie.  It skips right over nearly all of the training sequences and picks right up with them going into the trenches giving us no time to really get to know any of the cast - which makes it impossible to care about them when they die off one by one (though even the dying off one by one appears to be missing from this version).  It also takes place in 1917 - by then the thrill of the war had long since worn off even for schoolboys - just so we could have a forgettable scene about Paul getting the uniform of a dead soldier.  Long story short - watch the original.

Edited by Dynaman

1 hour ago, Dynaman said:

I started watching this the other day and ended up turning it off.  Nowhere near as good as the original or even the Richard Thomas one.  Perhaps it gets better later in the movie.  It skips right over nearly all of the training sequences and picks right up with them going into the trenches giving us no time to really get to know any of the cast - which makes it impossible to care about them when they die off one by one (though even the dying off one by one appears to be missing from this version).  It also takes place in 1917 - by then the thrill of the war had long since worn off just so we could have a forgettable scene about Paul getting the uniform of a dead soldier.  Long story short - watch the original.

Yeah, we watched it last night. The way it's filmed, cinematography, uniforms, helmets & weapons were spot on. The music score did not impress me, irritating actually. If you've ever watched the 2004 film "A very long engagement", I was hoping for that in terms of nightmarish battle scenes (that movie will haunt you), this new film overall is good but it lacks in character development... you never really get attached to anyone. 

Best way to describe this movie IMO is that the Director/Producers didn't want to make a borderline shot for shot remake of the last two films & made many changes to the source material. 

Instead of another remake of AQOTWF, making a WWI film from the view point of the Germans say in 1915-1916 would have been a much better choice. 

1 hour ago, 505thAirborne said:

Yeah, we watched it last night. The way it's filmed, cinematography, uniforms, helmets & weapons were spot on. The music score did not impress me, irritating actually. If you've ever watched the 2004 film "A very long engagement", I was hoping for that in terms of nightmarish battle scenes (that movie will haunt you), this new film overall is good but it lacks in character development... you never really get attached to anyone. 

Best way to describe this movie IMO is that the Director/Producers didn't want to make a borderline shot for shot remake of the last two films & made many changes to the source material. 

Instead of another remake of AQOTWF, making a WWI film from the view point of the Germans say in 1915-1916 would have been a much better choice. 

I’m in agreement over this version. Watched it on Friday. It’s filmed well, but definitely skips a lot of content from the books and previous versions and makes quite a few changes that feel really awkward. I remember stuff that really had to do with gas attacks that got a rush treatment here. I get that they didn’t want a super predictable movie, but this could have been any random German ww1 story. It’s a pretty long movie as is, but like had been said, it’s really missing the connections with other characters. And it almost feels like if someone did a two and a half hour version of full metal jacket without the boot camp scenes.

Overall it’s well acted and well filmed, but just fees like a lot of missing pieces. There’s things that did work through, so it’s not an absolute failure like the way the tanks came rolling through like unstoppable monsters, but I wish there were more scenes with that kind of impact.

26 minutes ago, 505thAirborne said:

Someone on YouTube mentioned that (as well it was bad) but this film has a lot of the original cast, so I guess that makes this the official part 2. 

Yeah, I never saw it. It may have been a direct to video thing. I guess it was bad enough that they decided to pretend it never happened. Hopefully this one is good. It’s tough to try to follow up a classic 

5 hours ago, 505thAirborne said:

Someone on YouTube mentioned that (as well it was bad) but this film has a lot of the original cast, so I guess that makes this the official part 2. 

4 hours ago, Big s said:

Yeah, I never saw it. It may have been a direct to video thing. I guess it was bad enough that they decided to pretend it never happened. Hopefully this one is good. It’s tough to try to follow up a classic 

My Summer Story in 1994 and then there was a Christmas Story 2 in 2012.  But yes, with this have far more of the original cast, I'd call this a true sequel. However, they could be viewed (loosely) as one saga.

For someone who never read the books and hasn't seen the Tom Cruise/Brad Pitt movie in ever, the series has been really good so far, acting is Top notch IMO.

The actor who played Grey Worm in GoT is Louis & he is really good in the role, the actor for Lestat... nails it! 

Check it out when you get a chance. 

1 hour ago, 505thAirborne said:

For someone who never read the books and hasn't seen the Tom Cruise/Brad Pitt movie in ever, the series has been really good so far, acting is Top notch IMO.

The actor who played Grey Worm in GoT is Louis & he is really good in the role, the actor for Lestat... nails it! 

Check it out when you get a chance. 

I’ll probably check it out once we get settled in to the new place. The fiancé is a real fan. I’ve really only seen the movies. But it’s one that we’re gonna watch together. 

5 hours ago, Chunky001 said:

A GF and I really got into the books a million years ago when I was in HS. I hated the original movie. Really like Queen Of The Damned. If the show nailed Lestat I'm in. I'll wait for it to make it's full season before I binge though. Thanks for the heads up.

I'm not sure if Lestat is super accurate to the books however the actor gives 100% to his character. B))

• 2 weeks later...

I watched, most, of Disenchanted last night.  I wasn't expecting much since it was a straight to D+ sequel and the promos did not look interesting either.  The original was a great little Romp that made good fun of the genre.  This one tried to get the same magic back but misfires.  The songs were just not that interesting and dragged on IMHO.  Then near the end I just turned it off so I'm not exactly sure how it ends and will probably never know...