2 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

Watching Pennyworth on HBO Max. It's about Alfred Pennyworth years before he was the Wayne's butler in Batman. It's well made but I don't like it as much as my wife does. Definitely not for kids.

Been contemplating a view of this for sometime. Could be interesting.  

For as long as I have been waiting for History of the World part 2, that trailer just made me stop.  Not even a hint of "Hitler on Ice!" or "A Viking Funeral" in there, though there was a hint of the "Jews in Space" segment.  And four nights?  Way too much.

Edited by Dynaman

On 1/14/2023 at 10:27 AM, Dynaman said:

For as long as I have been waiting for History of the World part 2, that trailer just made me stop.  Not even a hint of "Hitler on Ice!" or "A Viking Funeral" in there, though there was a hint of the "Jews in Space" segment.  And four nights?  Way too much.

I was kinda thought about those, but I think they were already finished skits. Although it would be funny to see if they addressed those in some way in the new movie 

14 hours ago, Bolt said:

Caught the first episode of The last Of Us. As I've never played the game, I thought it was well done. 

As I've played the game, I also thought it was well done. (But then again the game was already as close to being a TV show as can be...)

The stealth fake-out after the opening scenes stood out to me particularly because it was funny without standing out. A little Easter egg for fans of the games that doesn't disrupt the story at all.

The episode was looong, though. I'm always thrown off a bit by how long these HBO episodes can run. An entire hour or more, uninterrupted by commercial breaks... Still weird to me, some 20+ years after they started doing it. :lol:

16 hours ago, Bolt said:

Caught the first episode of The last Of Us. As I've never played the game, I thought it was well done. 

If you have a Playstation 3 or up I'd highly recommend it, definitely one of Sony's best first party exclusive titles, YMMV on Last of Us Part II. 

1 hour ago, kajnrig said:

As I've played the game, I also thought it was well done. (But then again the game was already as close to being a TV show as can be...)

The stealth fake-out after the opening scenes stood out to me particularly because it was funny without standing out. A little Easter egg for fans of the games that doesn't disrupt the story at all.

The episode was looong, though. I'm always thrown off a bit by how long these HBO episodes can run. An entire hour or more, uninterrupted by commercial breaks... Still weird to me, some 20+ years after they started doing it. :lol:

I'm kind of glad we got a longer episode for this first one, there was a lot to cover and establish, and overall, I feel they did a solid job. 

Overall it's a really killer first episode, fan of the game or not, it's really well done. There's enough changes and additions here and there to keep the avid gamers attention, it's not a 1:1 adaptation, and I like that. It's close enough, the main story beats are there, the major parts are happening we're just getting there in slightly different, expanded ways. Comparing this to, say, Halo, this is how you do an adaptation, don't alienate the fans by making something nearly unrelated to the source, ahem Velma on HBO, expand upon the source, don't alter it entirely. 

I'm still surprised how many people didn't know Last of Us was a game, I thought it was a household name by now like Halo. I'm seeing people on social media freaking out like they just discovered fire, Last of Us the game?!?!?! Yup, and it's pretty great, especially on PS5. 

1 hour ago, TangledThorns said:

RIP Rick & Morty. Remember when innocent till proven guilty was still a thing?

Adult Swim fires 'Rick and Morty' co-creator and star Justin Roiland over domestic violence charges; show will go on

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/adult-swim-fires-rick-and-morty-star-justin-roiland-over-domestic-violence-charges-234053352.html

I don’t really know the details of the case and can’t say if he did or didn’t do anything, but I think that there were more reasons to fire the Flash than Roiland. At least he’s only charged with assaulting one person rather than multiple. Not that even assaulting one is forgivable.

9 hours ago, kajnrig said:

In the court of law, yes, he still is. The court of public opinion has never had to meet that burden, for better and worse.

Idealistically, the more public opinion moves toward addressing mental health issues and abuse like DAV the better our society should be.

Alas, I think reactions to this and the Ezra Miller outbursts are more about companies protecting their advertising dollars and public face after the news dropped their bombshell stories. I mean, I don’t expect to see Miller much in Gunn’s DC universe once that gets up and running.

As for the rest, it remains to be seen how our society, our culture, even our leaders step up to address the actual civil issues that are becoming more pressing and the reactionary domestic behavior that is becoming more frequent. I could go into detail, but that is its own can of worms and not really on topic here.

Just finished the first season of Blood and Treasure, and it was surprisingly good. Way better than National Treasure (the series). More than enough action, fun and interesting characters, with some nice nods to other movies tossed in here and there. Gonna start season two now.

I could care less about Roiland, he'll probably be charged, and if not good for him I guess. There's also the multitude of texts floating around, admittedly not confirmed, that he was grooming minors, I think some people just need to accept that sooner rather then later we'll be getting confirmation he is in fact a creep. Adult Swim put their message out pretty quick, and it's to the point, I assume they know more then the public and the truth on events is probably not in Roiland's favor. 

I didn't think they'd kill the show, it makes too much money, but I can't see it going beyond another season or two without him, either way, Adult Swim has to protect their IP that's worth a billion, and once again, I'm sure they know more then the public on all these matters. He also resigned from Squanch Games, which has it's own settled suits dealing with harassment, it's just not a good look all around for everything Roiland was involved with, I'm gonna lean on my intuition that he's a creep, that's my opinion, and he's probably receiving everything he deserves.

I'm also over his "humor". Last season of R&M was meh, I got two hours into High on Life and had to bail, his schtick has run its course for me. Stuttering continuously, over explaining jokes, it's gotten old, I'm actually interested in what new writers might do, and the voices are beyond easy to replicate, I can do both myself.

Oh well, R&M is probably dying, but I just read Aqua Teen Hunger force is coming back! Balance, as Thanos said.