Just finished Paper Girls on Amazon. There have apparently been some comparisons made to Stranger Things but they couldn't be more different. Other than the 80's setting and that it centers on a group of kids, this show deals with time travel - and with more cursing. Really liked it for the most part, though some scenes had the feel of a fan-film, which is in itself not a bad thing.The young actresses they got for it are really good too and really carry most of the scenes.

I hoped it gets a second season.

Edited by Thom

50 minutes ago, Big s said:

Lots of rumors going around about HBO Max. Everything from massive cutbacks to all out cancellation. To me it sounds closer to the cutback thing, but haven’t heard anything solid either way 

6 streaming-only films have been silently removed from HBO Max already. Those rumored cutbacks seem to be picking up more steam by the hour.

19 hours ago, Big s said:

Yeah. Things are definitely shaking up over there.

From the call so far, $9.8B in revenue, $3.4B in loss. Expected revenue was ~$12B. ~1.7M new subscriptions on streaming (versus Paramount+ posted today that it added ~3.7M new subscribers). HBO Max and Discovery+ will be folded into a new service by Summer 2023. Kids shows from WB will see a big reduction. No change to HBO/HBO Max shows except cuts to previously mentioned kids/family programming and direct-to-streaming movies (see Batgirl thread).

2 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

For good laughs. Not... Mr. Bean. ;) 

I finished it the other week. It’s definitely a cute show and probably good for the kids as well as the old time Mr Bean fans. I was cracking up so much at the doggy door scene

Caught up on OMitB

Continually impressed with the creativity of this show. The “putting the memory back together” scene was beautiful and extremely well done.  

Also impressed with the character development. There are so many on this show that would have been left as 2 dimensional characters on 99% of shows and instead on this one get fully fleshed out as “real people” with all the associated complications and complexities. 

Glad this is already renewed for season 3 and can’t wait to see who killed Bunny!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/6/2022 at 6:51 AM, hutch said:

Caught up on OMitB

Continually impressed with the creativity of this show. The “putting the memory back together” scene was beautiful and extremely well done.  

Also impressed with the character development. There are so many on this show that would have been left as 2 dimensional characters on 99% of shows and instead on this one get fully fleshed out as “real people” with all the associated complications and complexities. 

Glad this is already renewed for season 3 and can’t wait to see who killed Bunny!

Definitely one of the better shows out there, I liked season 1, loving season 2... I have one more episode to watch (stretching it out). Very happy to hear it's getting a third season. 

1 hour ago, Bolt said:

Been watching Westworld. The GOT cameo in season 3 was cool.

I just finished off the new season. I really liked the first one, but I feel like ideas are running low season by season on where to take the show. Season 2 kinda dragged a little just hoping they could finally leave the park, then after leaving the park it got kinda dull. And then it just seems like they copy the entire cast anytime some one dies, so it takes out any tension there was and just kinda feel like the old version was better. I don’t know if it’s the last season, but I wouldn’t be sad if it was at this point 

23 hours ago, Big s said:

I just finished off the new season. I really liked the first one, but I feel like ideas are running low season by season on where to take the show. Season 2 kinda dragged a little just hoping they could finally leave the park, then after leaving the park it got kinda dull. And then it just seems like they copy the entire cast anytime some one dies, so it takes out any tension there was and just kinda feel like the old version was better. I don’t know if it’s the last season, but I wouldn’t be sad if it was at this point 

I think there's been a trajectory. But I'm waiting for this season to end before I really decide how much i like this show. So far, it's been interesting and entertaining enough.

7 hours ago, Chunky001 said:

I was half checked out during season 2. I couldn't stand season 3. I think I made it 2-3 episodes.

Absolutely loved season 1.

If you checked out that early in season 3 , you’d probably absolutely hate season 4. 
 This show likes do overs and they do it over and over. They tease and amazing concept in season 2 and they end up in a boring direction instead of the awesome direction things could’ve gone. And then there’s season 4 that after realizing they didn’t have a great direction just clones everybody to redo it all again but stupider. At this point it leaves off with a possibility of the next season just being a virtual reality. 
 I’m more curious to see how they try to write a follow up season than I am about an actual 5th season. Like a story about writers trying to write a tv show that got too ambitious and then overly pretentious and now trying to follow up their mess for another season that’s probably doomed to be worse than any previous season. They have had pretty great talent as far as actors, but the writers are overwhelmed with this concept and trapped by the circumstances that the third season left them with. They just didn’t know where to go.

5 hours ago, 505thAirborne said:

It looks good. I don't know about Luis Guzman as Gomez though. I picture Raoul Julia of course or John Astin, obviously. He might be good, but if not, I hope he's not in it too often. Now Zeta-Jones as Morticia... va-va-va-voom!

14 minutes ago, Thom said:

It looks good. I don't know about Luis Guzman as Gomez though. I picture Raoul Julia of course or John Astin, obviously. He might be good, but if not, I hope he's not in it too often. Now Zeta-Jones as Morticia... va-va-va-voom!

I feel the same about Gomez. I do believe Guzman is a great actor, but it’s hard to picture him in a role like that. Although it’s probably closer to the original concept than the other live action versions 

It might also be just from the movies but Wednesday doesn't smile.  At least not like that.  I guess I am just spoiled by the movies with Cristina Ricci and Raoul Julia (notice that they had to split the two up for the second movie - you can't have two actors stealing every scene at the same time)

11 hours ago, hutch said:

Only Murders finale was outstanding.  Fantastic cliffhanger. Need to go back and watch the whole thing from beginning to end.  

Wait…I thought there was one episode left next week. Episode 9 “Sparring Partners” was this week. Still 1 left.

Chris

4 hours ago, Dobber said:

Wait…I thought there was one episode left next week. Episode 9 “Sparring Partners” was this week. Still 1 left.

Chris

You’re right! I totally had that wrong. Read an article that said there were only 9 episodes this season.  WHEW!

On 8/20/2022 at 4:55 PM, 505thAirborne said:

I couldn't find a Robocop thread in the forums so hopefully it's ok to put this here. (If this has been posted before I'll have the Mods remove this) 

When YouTube has that ultra random selection for you. :lol:

These videos were all pretty funny. The one with the rape guys had me drying 

Season finale of Only Murders in the Building was fantastic! Can’t wait for season 3. What a fun show that keeps you guessing even after a “reveal”

Chris

Edited by Dobber

Started watching This Fool on Hulu. It’s pretty light hearted and maybe more chuckles than out loud laughs, but I really like it. So far only saw up to episode 3, but I really loved what I’ve seen so far. It’s not a groundbreaking show or anything, but definitely a decent way to spend half an hour