1 hour ago, lechuck said:

The Expanse is truly quality Sci-Fi, just a bit unfortunate that the first half of season one has sluggish pacing.

Actually I am bit surprised that this show is so under the radar on MW, I don't think there is even a dedicated thread for it!?

Sadly it goes not have the word "Star" anywhere in the title.  It is IMHO opinion the best Spaceship SciFi show ever done (including ST, SW, and B5) when it comes to having realistic characters.  If it were not for Marcos I would say they are all perfect without a stereotype in the lot (of the major "good" or "bad" guys).

2 hours ago, Dynaman said:

Sadly it goes not have the word "Star" anywhere in the title.  It is IMHO opinion the best Spaceship SciFi show ever done (including ST, SW, and B5) when it comes to having realistic characters.  If it were not for Marcos I would say they are all perfect without a stereotype in the lot (of the major "good" or "bad" guys).

Ron Moore’s BSG would like to have a word with you.

Don’t get me wrong:  I’ve been enjoying The Expanse, and it’s definitely up there with all the best sci-fi TV series of all time.  But I’m not ready to give it the top crown just yet.

15 minutes ago, Mog said:

Ron Moore’s BSG would like to have a word with you.

Don’t get me wrong:  I’ve been enjoying The Expanse, and it’s definitely up there with all the best sci-fi TV series of all time.  But I’m not ready to give it the top crown just yet.

BSG, while often a great show had two major issues.  First is too much angst.  Second, and far more important is the fact there was no plan.  Having a big mystery is fine but the creators darned well better have the endgame thought out.

Well, considering they had their 12 colonies utterly annihilated, it’s understandable why they would have some “angst.” :rolleyes:

Give BSG credit for taking an established franchise and giving it a crapload of depth and development.

Instead of devolving into something like Star Trek Voyager, it gave us some good stories and gave us characters with some depth, where even the good guys did some questionable actions.

And they may not have had a full ending planned out, but they ended it well enough for me.

Amazon's INVINCIBLE

"Official trailer for Season 1 of Amazon's Invincible, which will premiere on the streamer on March 26, 2021. Invincible is an adult animated superhero show that revolves around seventeen-year-old Mark Grayson (Steven Yeun), who's just like every other guy his age — except that his father is the most powerful superhero on the planet, Omni-Man (J.K. Simmons). But as Mark develops powers of his own, he discovers that his father's legacy may not be as heroic as it seems."

Posting this here because I don't think it deserves its own thread... yet! Still, the FOX live action series was great so an anime can work. That being said I'd pay real money for a ROBOCOP vs Terminator film too.

Terminator Anime Series Coming to Netflix From The Batman Co-Writer

https://www.ign.com/articles/terminator-anime-series-coming-to-netflix-from-the-batman-co-writer

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/16/2020 at 12:48 PM, jvmacross said:

For the most part, I really enjoyed the first season of The Outsider, however, the last episode was anticlimactic.....especially coming off of the crazy cliffhanger on the previous episode....guess I'll look to see what they come up with during Season 2...assuming there is one

We just finished The Outsider as well. Really good tension and acting throughout but though it was set up for a second season I think it may just end up being a mini-series as per Wiki HBO has no interest in renewing but the show's producers are shopping it to other networks.

5 hours ago, hutch said:

First three episodes of Invincible have been great I think.  All star voice cast and when it went full Kirkman it didn’t disappoint 

Yeah no kidding....damn that was just BRUTAL.:unsure:

Chris

8 hours ago, sqidd said:

If you have never seen Rome on HBO.......watch it. Even if you're not a history buff it's good.

Yes because.... “enormous  penis is always welcome” :lol:

Chris

Edited by Dobber

On 4/6/2021 at 4:33 PM, TangledThorns said:

Watching Doom Patrol on HBO Max. Brendan Fraser is f'ing awesome in it, where has he been all these years??!

Eating?:rofl:

I've always liked Brendan Fraser. The Mummy is a classic!

Started watching DP based on your post (I had never heard of it). I like it. It's weird, that's for sure, but I like weird. Kinda has the same feel as Legion. I'm surprised that both shows got multiple seasons. The weird stuff doesn't usually last. I don't think enough people get it.

26 minutes ago, sqidd said:

Started watching DP based on your post (I had never heard of it). I like it. It's weird, that's for sure, but I like weird. Kinda has the same feel as Legion. I'm surprised that both shows got multiple seasons. The weird stuff doesn't usually last. I don't think enough people get it.

Doom Patrol kinda reminds me of Umbrella Academy which isn't a bad thing.

On 4/11/2021 at 9:08 AM, TangledThorns said:

Doom Patrol kinda reminds me of Umbrella Academy which isn't a bad thing.

Yes, that too. I like UA.

The wife and I finished off season 1 of DP last night. Man, I still can't believe that show got renewed for two more seasons. It's so weird!

Spoiler

When Flex guy accidentally made everyone climax my wife an I had to pause it while we regained our composure. We were laughing our arses off!:rofl:

Just finished up Ted Lasso and Mythic Quest on Apple TV.

Lasso sounds like a dumb concept that shouldn’t work, but it wins you over with its good heart.  Plus, proper Brits dropping a well-timed f-bomb always puts a smile on my face.

Mythic Quest is your typical screwball workplace comedy but done with the backdrop of a MMORPG video game studio where everything is set to 11.

If you need a few good laughs, check ‘em out.

On 4/6/2021 at 1:33 PM, TangledThorns said:

Watching Doom Patrol on HBO Max. Brendan Fraser is f'ing awesome in it, where has he been all these years??!

He's really shown himself to be a pretty solid actor with DP. On the surface it's absurd, it's easily one of the weirdest comic properties turned live action, Guardians of the Galaxy looks like The Brady Bunch in comparison, but that's just DP, it's frakking out there. 

DP is also one of the finest live action DC films or shows period. It's better written, acted, paced, and has a better, more engaging story with better characters then the vast majority of comic turned live action properties out there, DC, Marvel or otherwise. I push this show on everyone I can, it's absolutely brilliant. As for Brendan himself I can't really say, he's a solid actor, he's no longer George of the Jungle or in Mummy shape, but he's funny, and can nail some serious material, even in ridiculous situations like his roll in DP.

7 hours ago, sqidd said:

The wife and I finished off season 1 of DP last night. Man, I still can't believe that show got renewed for two more seasons. It's so weird!

Reveal hidden contents

When Flex guy accidentally made everyone climax my wife an I had to pause it while we regained our composure. We were laughing our arses off!:rofl:

It's great though right? Also, Flex Mentallo was pretty perfectly cast, I was worried when he was announced because he's a beyond absurd character, but DP really nailed him.

Not related to DP, I caught up on some more Bill Burr standup, absolutely hilarious guy, love his stuff. I decided to check out his original animated series on Netflix, F is for Family, it's pretty damn funny, and very relatable imo.

Bill is hilarious as always, the family is great and their relationships and struggles are very real, Bill as the father Frank is pretty spot on for quite a few traits of my own father, and I'm sure many others would agree. Highly recommended, there's a final, fifth season coming eventually, looking forward to that.

13 hours ago, Tking22 said:

It's great though right? Also, Flex Mentallo was pretty perfectly cast, I was worried when he was announced because he's a beyond absurd character, but DP really nailed him.

Oh, absolutely! I find that really great shows don't generally last though. I'll be glass half empty and say it's because most viewers aren't smart enough to understand the brilliance. No viewers, no renewals. Look what just happened to The Tick on Amazon. Absolutely brilliant show (IMO). Two seasons.:( Heck, The Expanse was on life support there for a bit.

Flex Mentallo was hit out of the park!!!! I was cracking up from the moment when he spread the picnic blanket out!:rofl: I was hoping he was going to join the team full time (not knowing anything about the comics).

On 4/12/2021 at 9:39 AM, sqidd said:

Reveal hidden contents

Oh just wait till the house party in S2, that will have you rolling.

• 3 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, TangledThorns said:

Watching The Vow documentary on HBO Max. It's about the NXIVM cult that sucked in actresses, mainly Battlestar Galactica and Obi-Wan's Aunt Beru. Worth a watch just for the craziness.

I was pretty bummed to learn that Nicki Clyne aka Cally Tyrol was involved in this mess. 

On 4/30/2021 at 7:34 PM, 505thAirborne said:

I was pretty bummed to learn that Nicki Clyne aka Cally Tyrol was involved in this mess. 

Yeah, that's how I first heard about NXIVM. Grace Park (Boomer) was also part of it too but looks like she left it early. Nicki Clyne still supports it though, ugh.

Second season will be very interesting.

Watched Shadow and Bone on NF with the wife. Despite being beaten over the head constantly with "racism bad" (yeah, we all know/agree, you don't have to keep reminding us though. I'm here for entertainment, not a lesson) it was enjoyable.

I enjoyed it. It's based on one of the series of books I am interested in reading. A nice collection of characters, where none of them left me wondering when it was going to get back to the 'good parts' seeing as most of them were good parts. I felt the ending could have been a bit more 'climactic' though.

Yeah, it's really cool. So far, the series is based on the Grisha Trilogy of YA Fantasy Novels written by Leigh Bardugo. I'm curious to see if Netflix will pull in any of the other related tales. I like how she uses the backdrop of Russian culture and traditions to create her unique setting, which sets it apart from the norm which uses the backdrop of Northwestern European cultures (such as Norse traditions and mythology).

Fun fact: Leigh is involved in the adaptation and actually appears on screen as a character.

Edited by technoblue

The revamped Rugrats appears to have decent CGI (I like it) and the original baby voices but the adult VAs are different.  I'll not be watching it (only watched the originals since my kids were that age) but it looks decent enough.